Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• At the moment I think our recruitment is just fine.How many clubs in our league are going to have squads of players that are all good enough to be first choices.We have got good options in defence and good variety in midfield.We talk about having 4 strikers,and getting other wingers in.We have Kirk,Dj,CBT and Clayden,perhaps BG can get the best out of them,they all have potential to be very good at this level.We have Stockley and Aneke,that should guarantee with luck,35-40 goals.Davison may just benefit from the confidence BG showed in him last year.Dont know if Kanu or Leaburn are ready yet,but give them experience in the cup games and we will see.We do need maybe 2-3 more options all over ,it would be nice to pluck a Cullen,Beilic ,Gallagher or Martzen out of the air.
  • Chunes said:
    CafcSCP said:
    I think we will spend money on a a striker if / when the right deal is there to be had. The club know we need to bring goals into the team to get promotion and I’m hoping the shrewd signings we have made e.g. McGrandles on a free instead of paying for Louis Reed etc are all part of the plan to save the lion share of our budget for a 20 goal striker (which we know will cost money).
    Don’t know why people are so anti stockley when we already have a 20 goal striker, that would probably have been 25 or more if he hadn’t been injured.
    aneke’ return last season was something like 4 in 9 .
    he got us 15 off the bench before going to Birmingham.
    Of course we’d like another but really we should have just kept Washington.
    Considering we're not playing hoofball this year... Give it 5-10 games and I think we'll be reminded of how awkward he looks playing this kind of football. 

I remember when we lost at home to Morecambe, there was a moment in the second half when Dobson played a simple ball on the floor up to him. Stockley tried to play a simple pass back, but the ball hit his foot, then his shin, then his knee, then bounced off the ground and fortunately bobbled back to one of our players. I could swear sections of the crowd were laughing. 
    Personally I see him having a decent season. Another 20+
    With a half decent midfield he’ll do for me 
  • I'm happy with a potential starting 11 for the opening day , I'm concerned the depth really isn't there especially up front. If we've been smart with the budget to really go after a difference maker up front then someone like a Cole Stockton would be a fantastic move. 

I'd be happy with another 4 in , admittedly that would mean shifting out a couple with the squad cap. But if we could add a left footed CB , another winger , a Gallagher type goalscoring midfielder and a proven striker I'd take that. 
  • It looks like we are going to play some variation of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, for me we have some good quality at the back and plenty in midfield, the wingers are so key in both these formations and we have:

CBT - very dangerous player, could be massive this season however has had hamstring issues so can we expect him to be fit to play the majority of games?

DJ - I don't mind him but he blows hot and cold and jury still out.

Kirk - clean slate but easily could flop again.

We need at least one more high quality winger/inside forward to make this formation work.

An additional striker for if Stockley gets injured is also needed as Chuks is far better off the bench and struggles to start successive matches - we really don't want to be starting Davison at this level.
    About where I am at with it.

I’d like us to being in a striker with slightly different attributes to Stockley.

Another winger with pace.

Id want to move on either Morgan or Gilbey and bring in cover for Dobson. 

And another left back, and maybe even right back as I’m not convinced Clare will be best utilised in that role, or really wants to play there anyway. 
  • edited July 2022
    He scored nearly all his goals with his head.

We'll see. I said the same at the beginning of last season and got poo-pooed. Pre-season optimism is a powerful thing, nobody wants their chips pissed on. Understandably so. 
  • If we are playing with Wingbacks and whipping crosses in, itll suit Stockley more than hoofball
  • Sponsored links:

• I have no doubt whatsoever that Chelsea already have a dossier on Kanu.
    100% and they won't be the only ones. You don't score as many goals as he has without attracting attention, and we beat some big sides at youth level last season (Arsenal, Spurs etc).
  • edited July 2022
    CafcSCP said:
    I think we will spend money on a a striker if / when the right deal is there to be had. The club know we need to bring goals into the team to get promotion and I’m hoping the shrewd signings we have made e.g. McGrandles on a free instead of paying for Louis Reed etc are all part of the plan to save the lion share of our budget for a 20 goal striker (which we know will cost money).
    Don’t know why people are so anti stockley when we already have a 20 goal striker, that would probably have been 25 or more if he hadn’t been injured.
    aneke’ return last season was something like 4 in 9 .
    he got us 15 off the bench before going to Birmingham.
    Of course we’d like another but really we should have just kept Washington.
    Can you point me to the season that Stockley scored 20 in league 1?
  • Chunes said:

We'll see. I said the same at the beginning of last season and got poo-pooed. Pre-season optimism is a powerful thing, nobody wants their chips pissed on. Understandably so. 
    Agree. Stockley was going to be this big goal scorer last year. He got 13 in the league.
  • edited July 2022
    cs1986 said:
    Chunes said:

Agree. Stockley was going to be this big goal scorer last year. He got 13 in the league.
    While being 4th in the league for big chances missed, having spent a decent amount of time injured/suspended.

I just recall his performances in that lone role, even Davison looked better there. Remember Stockley screaming at Adkins to "find a better shape." People on here saying we should "play to his strengths." When we went 2 up top and more direct, he looked better. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Just hope we're not stupid enough to move Davison on before we find a replacement if that was the plan.

Unfortunately not overly confident that we'll manage that

I can see him being used as a make-weight for Mckirdy
    I can't see any more arriving from Swindon, although a player exchange plus a wedge of cash might be worth a try if BG thinks he can get his magic to work on Mckirdy here.

I doubt relations between the Clubs are very good at present though and we'd need to replace Davison, probably with a late loan.
  • Chunes said:

Headers from corners and open play cross aren't from hoof ball.  I would say Stockley was a victim of hoof ball as much as anyone else.  Saying that I still don't believe that any hoof ball was by design.
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Headers from corners and open play cross aren't from hoof ball.  I would say Stockley was a victim of hoof ball as much as anyone else.  Saying that I still don't believe that any hoof ball was by design.
    Was he a victim or benefactor? He struggled so badly in the lone role under Adkins that he was shouting at the sidelines to find a better shape. Even Davison looked better in that role. People on here were saying we should play to his strengths if we've got him. When we went 352 and more direct, he was better. 

Didn't watch Kilmarnock but how many high crosses did we put in the box? I would be surprised if that's a big factor in our play this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Was he a victim or benefactor? He struggled so badly in the lone role under Adkins that he was shouting at the sidelines to find a better shape. Even Davison looked better in that role. People on here were saying we should play to his strengths if we've got him. When we went 352 and more direct, he was better. 

Didn't watch Kilmarnock but how many high crosses did we put in the box? I would be surprised if that's a big factor in our play this season. 
    Swindon were 21st in league 2 for crosses per game…I think either we need a new striker or Garner will need to adapt his style slightly. He will want someone that can receive into feet and link play, Aneke fits but I don’t think stockley does 
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I’m Stockleys defence during that period when we were playing a 4-3-3 we often had Gunter and Matthew’s as the fullbacks, Watson and Morgan in the midfield and Washington on one of the wings.

Of course they may end up being woeful, but on paper having Egbo, Sessegnon, Fraser, McGrandles, CBT in those positions is going to make a massive difference in my opinion.
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I only remember two, maybe three crosses into the box second half

The first from Kirk, was nothing more than a low pass across the goal, I'd like to know how we didnt score.

The second was a proper cross, which both Stockley / Leaburn challenged for, but was dealt with
  • edited July 2022
    We have 2 proven L1 quality strikers, we need four so two more are needed and Davisson to be moved on.

If Deji struggles this season (young lad etc) we have 2 CB's (no point even counting Innis), we need at least one more there.

If Sessignon gets injured we have no stand by LB so we need another.

Those 4 positions, for me, are key.  I am hoping that we have some cash to spend and that is why later in the window is more likely.

A top quality L1 CB, Striker and LB could really revolutionize a squad which currently has good foundations but not enough "X factor" 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Imagine Stockley or Aneke got injured or both. We really need another striker of the calibre of Stockton IMO.
    The likelihood of which is extremely high - both of them being injured .  I don’t think they are good enough to take us up anyway 
    How can you say that! Stockley scored 20 despite being out for 2 months?
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Funny enough we put more high cross in in the first half when Stockley wasn't playing.

The execution was the problem last season not the system it's self.

If we play to his strengths, and if the rest of the team is good enough, there is no reason you can't play "good football" and have Jayden Stockley in the team, scoring goals.

If and can are doing a lot of heavy lifting, I appreciate that, but the two things aren't mutually exclusive.  I am sceptical it will happen but there isn't a reason it can't.
  • Lee to Wrexham has been rumoured for a while.  Would be a massive coup if they got Lowery.

I can't see us getting Lowery because of the players we already have.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Lee to Wrexham has been rumoured for a while.  Would be a massive coup if they got Lowery.

I can't see us getting Lowery because of the players we already have.
    If Lowery comes in... One of Gilbey or Morgan has to go... Perhaps even Dobson