Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• RedRobin said:
    According to Twatter we’ve had two bids turned down for a striker, no names given.From a dodgy account obvs! 

Thought it would be one of those transfer rumour accounts. He’s shared a few things but don’t remember anything so far to suggest he’s reliable.
  • At the moment I think our recruitment is just fine.How many clubs in our league are going to have squads of players that are all good enough to be first choices.We have got good options in defence and good variety in midfield.We talk about having 4 strikers,and getting other wingers in.We have Kirk,Dj,CBT and Clayden,perhaps BG can get the best out of them,they all have potential to be very good at this level.We have Stockley and Aneke,that should guarantee with luck,35-40 goals.Davison may just benefit from the confidence BG showed in him last year.Dont know if Kanu or Leaburn are ready yet,but give them experience in the cup games and we will see.We do need maybe 2-3 more options all over ,it would be nice to pluck a Cullen,Beilic ,Gallagher or Martzen out of the air.
    For me the jury is still out as to whether we have a good enough starting 11. I think there is potential for things to improve drastically this coming season, but it will require players we had last year improving and the new signings fitting in well and being good enough. 

I will be absolutely delighted if Jayden and Chuks get anywhere near 35 between them. If we have a fit Chuks who can play more minutes, then maybe. There is a lot riding on Stockley staying fit. We all saw what happened with no senior strikers last season. Relying on Davison, Kanu and Leaburn to step-up is a huge gamble. I think we urgently need to find a replacement for Washington otherwise we will not be challenging for the play-offs.  
  • I do find the group fous on Cole Stockton very interesting. He scored 23 league goals in L1 last season, which was very good. Before that he scored 13 in League Two. Before that he scored 33 league goals in 9 years across League 1, League 2 and the National League. He's 28. Now, it could be that he's hit on the Lyle Taylor formula of finally figuring himself out later in his career, but even then Lyle was a washout at Forest even though he had a good Championship record with us because it just worked for him at Charlton. What's convinced people that he's the perfect striker for us? Is it just last season's numbers combined with the fact he looked good against us? In general there's plenty quick to point out that a player might have had a one-off good season when we target a striker but he seems to have had a positive consensus formed about him. I'm not saying he isn't good, I just find it interesting how different players can have entirely different group approaches towards them
    I agree. If we are looking at players who looked good against us last season, there are plenty to choose from, but I don't think that should be a recruitment criteria!
  • Doubt there are many strikers about with consistent records across seasons, that also look dynamic. Ivan Toney was the last of them.
  • I saw him play quite a few times last season, after he caught my attention and I think there is something about him. Mendonca was at Grimsby for a long time before we got him and sometimes these players are out there. I think he is one of them but of course could be wrong.
  • Sometimes, you have to take the gamble that they have found their groove and will continue to do so if we sign them. Chances are if they find their groove 2 seasons in a row they will get snapped up by someone higher up anyway, particularly if they're not that old. 
  • I think when I looked last season only 2 players had scored 20+ league 1 goals more than once in the last 10 years.

Billy Sharpe and John Marquis....... 
  • Scoham said:
    RedRobin said:
    According to Twatter we’ve had two bids turned down for a striker, no names given.From a dodgy account obvs! 

Thought it would be one of those transfer rumour accounts. He’s shared a few things but don’t remember anything so far to suggest he’s reliable.
    Probably because it's bexleyboy or Ronnie moore behind that account all the things he puts out are made up.
  • I do find the group fous on Cole Stockton very interesting. He scored 23 league goals in L1 last season, which was very good. Before that he scored 13 in League Two. Before that he scored 33 league goals in 9 years across League 1, League 2 and the National League. He's 28. Now, it could be that he's hit on the Lyle Taylor formula of finally figuring himself out later in his career, but even then Lyle was a washout at Forest even though he had a good Championship record with us because it just worked for him at Charlton. What's convinced people that he's the perfect striker for us? Is it just last season's numbers combined with the fact he looked good against us? In general there's plenty quick to point out that a player might have had a one-off good season when we target a striker but he seems to have had a positive consensus formed about him. I'm not saying he isn't good, I just find it interesting how different players can have entirely different group approaches towards them
    Agree in the main, the only thing about him for me is he seemed to be a good all round player, holding up , bringing others into play, making something happen for himself, if he came and did that for us it would potentially open things up for others. I’m not saying I totally dislike stockley but he is more limited I’d say. However We’d  still need that smaller more agile striker I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally id take Lyle Taylor back on a season loan - he has the quality and arrogance around him to get us out this league

Otherwise id go for Colby Bishop or Ryan Hardie at Plymouth. 
    I'd take Taylor back tomorrow if it meant we got out of this shit league

the fixture list is bloody depressing
  • Taylor unfortunately began scoring for Birmingham on loan, so be surprised if he drops to L1.
    Yes there is a slight risk based on his previous seasons, but turning the argument around, why WOULDN'T we be interested in

a) someone who scored 23 goals in L1 last season, so has already proved he can do it at this level (unlike McKirdy)
    b) someone who did it in a poor side, who weren't especially prolific scorers (unlike say the likes Oxford)
    c) someone who scored all sorts of goals, so not just an Ajose style poacher
    d) someone who showed his all around game against us, so isn't just someone who scores but does little else on the pitch
    Yes there is a slight risk based on his previous seasons, but turning the argument around, why WOULDN'T we be interested in

a) someone who scored 23 goals in L1 last season, so has already proved he can do it at this level (unlike McKirdy)
    b) someone who did it in a poor side, who weren't especially prolific scorers (unlike say the likes Oxford)
    c) someone who scored all sorts of goals, so not just an Ajose style poacher
    d) someone who showed his all around game against us, so isn't just someone who scores but does little else on the pitch
    Problem is for me is it that are you willing to spend an actual transfer fee for someone who may ‘revert back to the mean’ and whom at his age you probably wouldn’t be able to ‘develop’ and sell on for a profit.

I just wouldn’t. 

• Personally id take Lyle Taylor back on a season loan - he has the quality and arrogance around him to get us out this league

You don’t go back to an ex who cheated on you! 
    What if you’re uglier and more desperate now compared with when they binned ya?
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Taylor unfortunately began scoring for Birmingham on loan, so be surprised if he drops to L1.
    5 in 15 including penalties (2 from memory). A goal every 5 games! I think l1 is his level again now 
  • With all the World beaters Swindon had last season, it is a wonder they didn't piss the league!

We know the reason:
    They conceded more goals than anyone else in the top 10 of League 2. 

Ben Garner's hardest job is not only having a system where we create chances ( which will include good crosses for Stockley or Aneke from advanced positions) but having a defensive shape when moves break down and we are hit in transition.

How good are we when we don't have the ball is as important as the Morecambe home game showed. The Lancashire team only had the ball for 33% but scored 3 goals from collective and individual mistakes.

I hope the 16 players who are used most weeks can dovetail and have football intelligence because the nonsense with Gilbey and Inniss was embarrassing to watch.

Rothko is running with my mantra from a year ago that Stockley needs a partner as he isn't a lone striker. You really don't  have to play two wingers and a central striker in a 3 up front. I thought that was obvious. Having the 3 forwards interchange is the ideal scenario like Liverpool ! 

You don’t go back to an ex who cheated on you! 
    It depends how desperate you are.
  • Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    cs1986 said:
    Chunes said:
    He scored nearly all his goals with his head.

We'll see. I said the same at the beginning of last season and got poo-pooed. Pre-season optimism is a powerful thing, nobody wants their chips pissed on. Understandably so. 
    Agree. Stockley was going to be this big goal scorer last year. He got 13 in the league.
    He was out injured for a lengthy period. Shouldn't that be taken in to consideration?
    Scored 13 in 33 games. 0.39 goals per game. He missed 10 games through injury, so if he'd stayed fit then on the same ratio he would've finished the season on 17.

I'm not giving him the goals he would've scored if he hadn't got himself stupidly sent off and suspended.

(Not getting involved again, just sharing the stats).
    I'd be surprised if Stockley gets 15 this year and would lay money he doesn't get 20.
  • There’s nothing to suggest we can’t pay a fee in this window, he hasn’t said it, he hasn’t indicated it, and every previous window he’s paid decent fees for league one.  We just might not need to, in their eyes at least.  

Unless you believe in the perpetual gossipers over at #CAFC Twitter and Facebook about him being “Skintgaard” and all the rest of it.  
    I have believed from day one he did not have the wealth to run Charlton football club. I was thank full he saved the club from administration and endless legal battles but doubted he could afford to sub the club 6 to 8 million pounds a year.
    So fear he will be reluctant to pay out fees now,
  • We finished last season with
    Stockley 
    Aneke 
    Washington 
    Burstow 
    As our four strikers. 
    So far we have replaced Washington and Burstow with Davison. 

Signing a decent striker is absolutely our number one priority. 
    I think we do have to bear in mind that it's quite a hard sell though, assuming we play with one striker. Stockley will be the main striker. Garner might use Aneke at 10, but beyond that he'll likely be a willing back-up. Chuks gets injuries so we need a third striker for sure. Who are we going to convince to fill that role other than a young player though? If you were Cole Stockton you probably wouldn't be too impressed with the idea of being back-up to two other proven L1 strikers who are ahead of you when you come in. Opportunities would appear though absence but I don't think there's a better attacker at this level coming off the bench than Chuks so mostly you're competing with the number 9 who if he's not captain will be a leader in the dressing room. I think it's most likely we'll get a youth loanee, a young player in the mould of Davison or an older journeyman willing to play third fiddle. That's just the reality of squad building. If we can improve on Davison we absolutely should but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deadline day loan
  • msomerton said:
    There’s nothing to suggest we can’t pay a fee in this window, he hasn’t said it, he hasn’t indicated it, and every previous window he’s paid decent fees for league one.  We just might not need to, in their eyes at least.  

Unless you believe in the perpetual gossipers over at #CAFC Twitter and Facebook about him being “Skintgaard” and all the rest of it.  
    I have believed from day one he did not have the wealth to run Charlton football club. I was thank full he saved the club from administration and endless legal battles but doubted he could afford to sub the club 6 to 8 million pounds a year.
    So fear he will be reluctant to pay out fees now,
    His net worth is something close to 500m if I’m not mistaken, happy to be corrected by a decent source.

He did spend money on fees and has done every window.  You could be right, going forward for one reason or another he might not, but his previous suggests otherwise and it’s merely gossip at this point.