Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• msomerton said:
    There’s nothing to suggest we can’t pay a fee in this window, he hasn’t said it, he hasn’t indicated it, and every previous window he’s paid decent fees for league one.  We just might not need to, in their eyes at least.  

Unless you believe in the perpetual gossipers over at #CAFC Twitter and Facebook about him being “Skintgaard” and all the rest of it.  
    I have believed from day one he did not have the wealth to run Charlton football club. I was thank full he saved the club from administration and endless legal battles but doubted he could afford to sub the club 6 to 8 million pounds a year.
    So fear he will be reluctant to pay out fees now,
    His net worth is something close to 500m if I’m not mistaken, happy to be corrected by a decent source.

He did spend money on fees and has done every window.  You could be right, going forward for one reason or another he might not, but his previous suggests otherwise and it’s merely gossip at this point.  
    A quick Google ranges from $199 million to £500 million.  So God knows.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    There’s nothing to suggest we can’t pay a fee in this window, he hasn’t said it, he hasn’t indicated it, and every previous window he’s paid decent fees for league one.  We just might not need to, in their eyes at least.  

Unless you believe in the perpetual gossipers over at #CAFC Twitter and Facebook about him being “Skintgaard” and all the rest of it.  
    I have believed from day one he did not have the wealth to run Charlton football club. I was thank full he saved the club from administration and endless legal battles but doubted he could afford to sub the club 6 to 8 million pounds a year.
    So fear he will be reluctant to pay out fees now,
    His net worth is something close to 500m if I’m not mistaken, happy to be corrected by a decent source.

He did spend money on fees and has done every window.  You could be right, going forward for one reason or another he might not, but his previous suggests otherwise and it’s merely gossip at this point.  
    A quick Google ranges from $199 million to £500 million.  So God knows.
    Indeed, and that’s without offshore secret stashes of course, but the point is he’s wealthy.  
  • Always an interesting stat, the percentage of 2021/22 minutes accumulated by players still at the club. We're way down in L1, but MK Dons are even lower as they've lost a number of players

• If the transfer fee is being made the gauge as to whether a signing or player is good, then I’ll happily wait and see if TS strategy is ok, imagine the stick he’d get if he was at Chelsea and signed Lukaku last season!!🤣…. There is no reason to suggest he won’t spend, it’s just a case of when and who. Just because fees haven’t been paid doesn’t mean the players we’ve acquired are not any good. With the enthusiasm TS shows I find it hard to believe he’s not going to have a little splash out on a slightly more extravagant signing. Hope so anyway.🤞
  • cs1986 said:
    I'd be surprised if Stockley gets 15 this year and would lay money he doesn't get 20.
    Tempted to take you up on that bet 
  • i always wonder the people who state our owner is skint and tight and never spends money. Why do they never reply when its pointed out he has paid a transfer fee in every window. It seems you cant argue with facts but you can ignore them.

Every player so far this summer I feel is an enhancement to the team and the squad. Moan all you like about derbys quality signings but they all seem to be the wrong side of 30 with nothing to prove. Id lay money they all end the same level of succsess that Ben Watson had with is. Our signing young and hungry and yes with a potential resale value, only one team in the country who do not look for resale value.
  • No one better at spending other people’s money than football fans. He’s not middle eastern prince rich but as far as I can see, the indication he might cut and run is rumours on twitter. None of his actual actions suggest someone who is trying to cut his losses and get out. There’s a difference between trying to make your money go further and being just plain skint. 

A lot of our best signings over the years in League 1 have been free transfers. 
    These rumours about him being skint are mostly stemming from the twat who runs the forum whose name shall not be mentioned.
    Sandgaard bashing isn’t exclusive to the other forum though is it?…..for balance I also think he might be a wrong’un and he don’t know what he’s doing. Emoji.
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    No one better at spending other people’s money than football fans. He’s not middle eastern prince rich but as far as I can see, the indication he might cut and run is rumours on twitter. None of his actual actions suggest someone who is trying to cut his losses and get out. There’s a difference between trying to make your money go further and being just plain skint. 

These rumours about him being skint are mostly stemming from the twat who runs the forum whose name shall not be mentioned.
    Sandgaard bashing isn’t exclusive to the other forum though is it?…..for balance I also think he might be a wrong’un and he don’t know what he’s doing. Emoji.
    I don't think any sane person thinks he is a "wrong'un" there is a lot of circumstantial evidence that he didn't know what he was doing.  The question is have lessons been learnt?

Time will tell but the early signs are promising, but at this stage that's all they are.
  • paulfox said:
    No one better at spending other people’s money than football fans. He’s not middle eastern prince rich but as far as I can see, the indication he might cut and run is rumours on twitter. None of his actual actions suggest someone who is trying to cut his losses and get out. There’s a difference between trying to make your money go further and being just plain skint. 

• paulfox said:

Surely a "wrongun" is someone who KNOWS what he is doing, and doing it out of greed or self gain, i.e Mouthall & Co, whereas someone who "don't know what he is doing" could just be acting out of ignorance for the situation, but not necessarily with bad intentions..

Absolutely, it was tongue in cheek as I’ve been accused of being too supportive of him, I don’t think he’s a wrong’un at all, quite the opposite in fact.I wrote emoji as again I got stick for using silly little emojis in my comments!!, I can’t win!!😂.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:

I don't think any sane person thinks he is a "wrong'un" there is a lot of circumstantial evidence that he didn't know what he was doing.  The question is have lessons been learnt?

Time will tell but the early signs are promising, but at this stage that's all they are.
    Hopefully he has learned from mistakes, although I think the ones he has made have been overplayed due to past ownership troubles, nobody is perfect and we never stop learning. We will know when the season starts.
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Personally, I think we need someome In the team whose a bit of a dickhead... or that has a personality. 
    Or the goals he scores..

Well yeah, thats how Lyle got away with being a twat. Its not so endearing when its Maddison being a flop. 
    Sadly true but we only realised that after he refused to play. 
    No not at all, you only had to see him winding up oppo fans to see he was a twot... but at that stage he was our twot.
  • RD sometimes gave them free tickets/lounge passes. TS doesn't.
  • We finished last season with
    Stockley 
    Aneke 
    Washington 
    Burstow 
    As our four strikers. 
    So far we have replaced Washington and Burstow with Davison. 

Signing a decent striker is absolutely our number one priority. 
    I think we do have to bear in mind that it's quite a hard sell though, assuming we play with one striker. Stockley will be the main striker. Garner might use Aneke at 10, but beyond that he'll likely be a willing back-up. Chuks gets injuries so we need a third striker for sure. Who are we going to convince to fill that role other than a young player though? If you were Cole Stockton you probably wouldn't be too impressed with the idea of being back-up to two other proven L1 strikers who are ahead of you when you come in. Opportunities would appear though absence but I don't think there's a better attacker at this level coming off the bench than Chuks so mostly you're competing with the number 9 who if he's not captain will be a leader in the dressing room. I think it's most likely we'll get a youth loanee, a young player in the mould of Davison or an older journeyman willing to play third fiddle. That's just the reality of squad building. If we can improve on Davison we absolutely should but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a deadline day loan
    Be nice to sign someone to compete with Stockley and not have him going into the season knowing that his back up, is in no physical condition to actually compete for his spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• As I’ve said before, TS has obviously blanked or done wrong to someone who helped during the whole ESI thing, as they’ve got a vendetta against him now. Probably expected 5 star treatment but hasn’t been the case. 
  • I wonder if we are bidding for George Hirst? Not exactly a goal machine but did pretty well on loan for Pompy last year. Anyone know if he is a runner or more static?
  • Scoham said:

It's strange isn't it. Free transfers are easier to secure early in the window for obvious reasons. There are almost two entire months left of the transfer window. We need to sign almost an entirely new squad. There will be a budget. The fact we seem to have already picked up 5 good signings without spending anything on transfer fees is just good, sensible business. The fact that this is being viewed as evidence of something negative is absolutely bizarre to me. Sandgaard gets a lot of grief for not understanding how best practice works in football and he got pelters for spending as much as he did on Kirk and for giving Aneke a long contract. Now he's doing something different it's still wrong. He just can't win, which makes him perfect for Charlton.
    Part of the anger seems to driven by his personality and his overly ambitious comments early on. I can forgive him for thinking it would be easier than it has been and getting excited about taking over, what owner doesn’t come in thinking they have a way to be successful in football? I don’t care if he plays his guitar on the pitch, has a photo with the new manager or comments on the ability of new signings - doing or not doing those things won’t impact on our performances on the pitch.

We’ve paid fees for several players since he’s been here even if it’s not as much as a club like Ipswich after you add in wages. On the other hand clubs such as Pompey have made fewer signings than us this summer, a new owner coming in wouldn’t guarantee bigger spending.

If he really is as skint as some insist then he won’t be here in a year or two. Even if we get promoted you need to spend a lot more in the Championship to properly compete year after year compared to L1.
    He needs us to go up to make things worth his effort, then the carrot of premier league becomes a bit more real, I wouldn’t blame him doing one if this season is anything like the last. I don’t think it will be a lack of ambition or effort though. Garner and the players have to do they’re bit though.
  • the problem is what is the team to face Accrington in 3 weeks. Last season we signed players after the start of the season and it took the first quarter of the season to have a vague idea of the regular first team squad and which players were not up to it. we even struggled to put out a full reserve bench for some games.
    Is that what people keep telling us that there is still two months of the window to go want.
  • swordfish said:
    Unashamedly off thread having no transfer rumours, I just thought I'd mention that Katrien is 38 years young today. I don't recall having seen her card circulating and was wondering if a Lifer's holding it up 🪖😎
    Probably had some difficulty finding her parents postal address.
  • msomerton said:
    the problem is what is the team to face Accrington in 3 weeks. Last season we signed players after the start of the season and it took the first quarter of the season to have a vague idea of the regular first team squad and which players were not up to it. we even struggled to put out a full reserve bench for some games.
    Is that what people keep telling us that there is still two months of the window to go want.
    I think there will be a few teams like that this year, window doesn't shut for something like a month after the season starts die to the WC.
  • swordfish said:
    Unashamedly off thread having no transfer rumours, I just thought I'd mention that Katrien is 38 years young today. I don't recall having seen her card circulating and was wondering if a Lifer's holding it up 🪖😎
    Probably had some difficulty finding her parents postal address.
    Well I sent her a card...