Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    The big evolution in football is who do you have on the field at the business end of a game because the 5 sub rule is a game changer. Reminds me of when I was a manager in kids football with roll on, roll off subs, if possible i always had my *strongest team on the field in the last third of a game.

So give the eleven you want to start and finish a match; forget the mandatory injuries which will affect selections.

You are not necessarily dropped if you don't start a match. The rules have changed and the manager who can out think the opposition manager has a real advantage in the mediocre League 1 where most players have weaknesses.

*Real Madrid were so much stronger then City at the business end of the final. Walker injury was the catalyst but Madrid had fresh legs where City were spent.
    Totally agree with this and why Barnsley did so well a couple of years back under Ismael.

It makes people like Aneke more valuable. When you have 5 changes to make, you can really incorporate at least 3 into the game plan before the game. And it also means attackers can run harder for the first hour or so knowing they’ll be subbed.

I think winning the games and leagues this year will be as much about which managers learn the 5 sub strategies best as it will be about the starting line ups and tactics.
  • I'd still start Macca over Wollacott, was first game, and will be interested to see improvement today against Dartford - But Jojo hasnt convinced me as a first choice Goalkeeper yet.
    Surely Wollacott has to earn a starting place. He may well do but so far Macca must be ahead of him.
    Why? Is this a different MacGillivray who hadn't looked the worst number one we've had? 
  • edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    The 5 sub rule feels like it was made for players like Aneke
    I think it was made for Bowyer, imagine how many players he can sub on and sub back off again
  • Talal said:
    I'd still start Macca over Wollacott, was first game, and will be interested to see improvement today against Dartford - But Jojo hasnt convinced me as a first choice Goalkeeper yet.
    Surely Wollacott has to earn a starting place. He may well do but so far Macca must be ahead of him.
    Why? Is this a different MacGillivray who hadn't looked the worst number one we've had? 
    A new manager should always start the season with players picked on merit on their form in pre season friendlies and training input.  No one should get picked above someone else because of last season.  Its about current form.  So yes Wollacott has to earn his place like every player needs to.
    Right... Muttley said MacGillivray must be ahead of him which I don't agree with at this point. 
  • I have no opinion on who I think should be number 1 yet because all I’ve seen is 45 minutes of them in a pre season friendly which involved two completely different team performances and personnel. 

MacGillivray looked very tidy in the very very limited interactions with the ball he had, and Wollacott made a howler but was otherwise fine, much more involved and did make a couple of decent saves.

• cazo said:
    I thought this was the rumour’s thread 🙃
    It’s the same every year though, it’s the most active thread on the forum and is focused on the season ahead so it’s natural that the discussion is always going to tend towards everything to do with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry everyone. I opened up the can of worms. I should’ve seen that coming and kept my mouth shut.

All I wanted to show us that we can already put out a stronger side vs Accrington than we did against Sheff W at he start of last season. 

Pointless getting too speculative about the actual starting XI yet because I’m sure we have business still to be done. 
  • I have no opinion on who I think should be number 1 yet because all I’ve seen is 45 minutes of them in a pre season friendly which involved two completely different team performances and personnel. 

MacGillivray looked very tidy in the very very limited interactions with the ball he had, and Wollacott made a howler but was otherwise fine, much more involved and did make a couple of decent saves.

He wasn't otherwise fine. He made a save which he pushed out which he could easily have pushed wide. You can't judge him over 45 minutes, sure I get that. But surely he has to earn the right in subsequent games.
  • Sorry everyone. I opened up the can of worms. I should’ve seen that coming and kept my mouth shut.

All I wanted to show us that we can already put out a stronger side vs Accrington than we did against Sheff W at he start of last season. 

Pointless getting too speculative about the actual starting XI yet because I’m sure we have business still to be done. 
    Agreed. What I would say is the team/squad already looks stronger than the one that finished 13th. With 3 weeks to go until the first game and a couple more decent additions before then, and perhaps a couple more before the window shuts then I think we are looking good for a top six push.
  • edited July 2022
    Clarky said:
    Sorry everyone. I opened up the can of worms. I should’ve seen that coming and kept my mouth shut.

Agreed. What I would say is the team/squad already looks stronger than the one that finished 13th. With 3 weeks to go until the first game and a couple more decent additions before then, and perhaps a couple more before the window shuts then I think we are looking good for a top six push.
    I would agree to a point. We have a weakness up front if our two best strikers don't stay fit or on form and we need another left back. This needs addressing but there is time to do so. 
  • Maybe 433
    That team will not get us promoted 
    Can you also tell me next weeks lottery numbers as you can clearly see the future ? 👍
    Its not the future I am looking into, its the past.

Mac is not a great keeper, you will be lucky to get a third of a season out of Innis, CBT has one good game in three and Kirk has been nothing but a dud so far, however I am hoping BG can get a tune out of him.

I was not commenting on any of the new players.
  • I wonder whether other teams forums have already declared opinion with so much transfer window left. This isn’t the finished article. Fucking hell.
    I am not so sure, with the constant banging of the drum about experience and youth I get the feeling some of the lads that went to Spain maybe coming into the squad.

I maybe be wrong, I hope I am wrong but I will not be shocked if it turns out the bulk of our transfer business is done.
  • We definitely need at least one striker, come what may.
    The rest may be dependent on moving others out and U21 loans which won't effect the squad number limit.
  • Clarky said:
    Sorry everyone. I opened up the can of worms. I should’ve seen that coming and kept my mouth shut.

a top six push? We should be aiming for the automatics with the play offs being a fall back option. Anything less than sixth is a failure.
  • LTKapal said:
    cs1986 said:
    LTKapal said:
    cs1986 said:
    I'd be surprised if Stockley gets 15 this year and would lay money he doesn't get 20.
    Tempted to take you up on that bet 
    More than happy to mate. He has never scored 20 league goals in league 1 or higher in a season. Is 28 years old. Is so over rated on here. Saying all that I do like him.

My only concerns comes in the form of service and his ability to play 44 games post back injury quite frankly.
    in that first season with us he had decent service and low behold double his stats up and he comes close. I’m not judging him on that tripe last season or his performances at Preston as I have an inside track on Preston and know he wasn’t used to his full effect there either as well as higher division .

I digress, for transparency, I don’t think he has a great touch and I’m not delusional, he has limitations but as a L1 striker specifically, give him chances he will score.
    However I’d also like another striker for the record.
    There are similarities between Stockley and Magennis.
    They both have obvious limitations and both would struggle a bit in The Championship, but they are both at the top end of League 1 striker level.
    I also don’t think it’s inherently a footballing skill limitation either, more so they both fit systems which primarily are seen in L1 and below, whereas the systems used in largely champ and above used a different set of technical skills and demands but that’s my personal opinion.

anyway back to transfers as I said inside track on Preston, I can confirm we’ve made no contact over any of their players!
  • Sponsored links:

• I do find the group fous on Cole Stockton very interesting. He scored 23 league goals in L1 last season, which was very good. Before that he scored 13 in League Two. Before that he scored 33 league goals in 9 years across League 1, League 2 and the National League. He's 28. Now, it could be that he's hit on the Lyle Taylor formula of finally figuring himself out later in his career, but even then Lyle was a washout at Forest even though he had a good Championship record with us because it just worked for him at Charlton. What's convinced people that he's the perfect striker for us? Is it just last season's numbers combined with the fact he looked good against us? In general there's plenty quick to point out that a player might have had a one-off good season when we target a striker but he seems to have had a positive consensus formed about him. I'm not saying he isn't good, I just find it interesting how different players can have entirely different group approaches towards them
    Obviously confidence, self belief and experience are factors as a player matures - but in the case of a striker, surely it's the way the team is set up to provide the level of service needed for a striker to score goals regularly?

At Wimbledon and of course as we saw at Charlton, the team was set up for Taylor to do his stuff. And he did. 
    Surely he would have scored plenty of goals at Forest if they had built their gameplan around him.

Morecambe evidently set up to get the best out of Cole  Stockton - and his 23 goals was the result.

• I wonder whether other teams forums have already declared opinion with so much transfer window left. This isn’t the finished article. Fucking hell.
    I am not so sure, with the constant banging of the drum about experience and youth I get the feeling some of the lads that went to Spain maybe coming into the squad.

I maybe be wrong, I hope I am wrong but I will not be shocked if it turns out the bulk of our transfer business is done.
    Bulk of it probably is done, we’ve signed five, but two or three more could make a huge difference if they’re the right players. For me we need to focus on attacking players to add more quality and goals to the squad.

I don’t think we should rule out one or two u23s breaking through as squad players. Sessegnon will be first choice left back, Clayden (22 in November) may be good enough as cover. Henry and Deji could also push on this season, both will turn 19 soon. The key thing is if they’re back ups it’s because we know they’re ready, and one or two are picked out for that reason rather than three or four.

I’ll be a lot more concerned if Leaburn is our fourth choice striker behind Davison. That feels more like Ghandour and Clayden (as a winger rather than attacking full back) last year being forced into the squad due to a lack of numbers
  • Clarky said:

a top six push? We should be aiming for the automatics with the play offs being a fall back option. Anything less than sixth is a failure.
    Of course automatics is the aim but until we can properly assess the 5 newbies as well as knowing if Fraser and Kirk will thrive under Garner it is difficult to predict how good we will be, but we already look in a better position now than we did at the end of last season.
  • Clarky said:
    Clarky said:

Of course automatics is the aim but until we can properly assess the 5 newbies as well as knowing if Fraser and Kirk will thrive under Garner it is difficult to predict how good we will be, but we already look in a better position now than we did at the end of last season.
    I agree if we get a replacement as good or better than Washington.
    If we don't do the above I would say we may struggle to make the play offs, especially if Stockley and Aneke get injured, which is likely.
  • Clarky said:
    Clarky said:

If we don't do the above I would say we may struggle to make the play offs, especially if Stockley and Aneke get injured, which is likely.
    Thought Stockley had a very good injury record apart from last season's issue?
  • PWR

Same again? No actual rumours?
  • Clarky said:
    Clarky said:

Our forwards don’t get us promoted as it stands IMO. Someone mobile alongside either of them and I don’t include Davison in that, would look more positive.  I think we need two more up front to compete properly, considering the likely injuries.
  • Clarky said:
    Clarky said:

Thought Stockley had a very good injury record apart from last season's issue?
    Yes, but has he fully recovered?
    He said he was playing with no feeling in one of his legs.
    Back problems can often resurface.
  • Talal said:
    Talal said:
    I'd still start Macca over Wollacott, was first game, and will be interested to see improvement today against Dartford - But Jojo hasnt convinced me as a first choice Goalkeeper yet.
    A new manager should always start the season with players picked on merit on their form in pre season friendlies and training input.  No one should get picked above someone else because of last season.  Its about current form.  So yes Wollacott has to earn his place like every player needs to.
    Right... Muttley said MacGillivray must be ahead of him which I don't agree with at this point. 
    Muttley is a naughty boy.

Seriously though there are pro's & con's for either keeper so lets see who Garner picks on initial merit and then fans will judge on performance. 
  • edited July 2022
    PWR

Same again? No actual rumours?
    Wouldnt listen to any rumours even if names were posted on here - Think McGrandles is the only one anyone has got close to being correct... Egbo | Wollacott | Sessegnon have come completely out of the blue