Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    I know we're ahead. I'm very positive about our transfer business. But I don't think we yet have a squad capable of challenging for the top 2. 
    The clubs who will finish in the top 2 possibly don’t yet have squads that can challenge for the top 2 either.
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    I know we're ahead. I'm very positive about our transfer business. But I don't think we yet have a squad capable of challenging for the top 2. 
    The clubs who will finish in the top 2 possibly don’t yet have squads that can challenge for the top 2 either.
    Ipswich, Peterborough, Barnsley and Wednesday all looking strong at this point. And I still like Bolton's squad, personally.
  • Chunes said:
    We're definitely ahead and that team is full of guff. I'm very positive about our transfer business so far. I don't think we yet have the quality capable of challenging for the top 2 and think it will take more than this window to get there. 
    Agreed, and honestly as long as we see signs of actually progressing then I'm okay with that. The last few seasons it's been disheartening seeing squads that will need to be completely overhauled summer after summer.

If we have a solid season this year and its just a few upgrades away from being genuine contenders at the top then I can live with that.

Another season of midtable dreck and dross might just be the end if Sandgaard gets bored of his football experiment, plus the according drop in attendance.
  • Chunes said:
    We're definitely ahead and that team is full of guff. I'm very positive about our transfer business so far. I don't think we yet have the quality capable of challenging for the top 2 and think it will take more than this window to get there. 
    I don't think anyone thinks we have.  We need the, in most cases, little bit of extra quality.  The cherry on the cake.

Last year we didn't even have a cake!

We are almost at the stage where it will be one in, one out.  That will tell us how much appetite there is for a successful season.

Although I am warming to the idea of a massive improvement this season and "blow it out the water" next year.
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Ipswich, Peterborough, Barnsley and Wednesday all looking strong at this point. And I still like Bolton's squad, personally.
    Looking being the key word, Ipswich were the favourites this time last year. I agree we need to improve the squad but every club will be thinking the same. Hopefully the remaining signings are the type who can push us up another level or two.
  • edited July 2022
    msomerton said:
    There’s nothing to suggest we can’t pay a fee in this window, he hasn’t said it, he hasn’t indicated it, and every previous window he’s paid decent fees for league one.  We just might not need to, in their eyes at least.  

Unless you believe in the perpetual gossipers over at #CAFC Twitter and Facebook about him being “Skintgaard” and all the rest of it.  
    I have believed from day one he did not have the wealth to run Charlton football club. I was thank full he saved the club from administration and endless legal battles but doubted he could afford to sub the club 6 to 8 million pounds a year.
    So fear he will be reluctant to pay out fees now,
    Listening to him again today talking of how we have to wait until the last days of the transfer window for agents & players to realise that they have to be "more aggressive at making themselves available" & it just seems the same as last year. I would like us to be aggressive at chasing the players that we have hopefully identified not wait until the last minute again hoping to get a bargain & being in the same situation next year. Wigan chased the best players & are now a championship club. I see us as just treading water. Yes I know it isn't my money etc but if you want success it costs money. (& I do appreciate that it costs him about 8 mill to stand still for a season but if he wants success then he has to pay for it)
    Well he did agree to pay  compensation to secure a manager & his assistant only one year into their contracts and he has paid fees in all other transfer windows to date, as most expect him to again if necessary.

I'm sure the Club are aggressively chasing  targets, but there are factors at play beyond their control as it's a several party negotiation to sign a player, especially a top quality one under contract elsewhere. Has he actually said we're playing a waiting game and are prepared to let targets go elsewhere in the meantime?

With respect, the Club have a better handle on the transfer market than we do and his comments reflect the reality of the situation rather than a deliberate policy decision on our part.

The need to spend on transfer fees is debatable anyway. For every Wigan, there's an Ipswich! 7 players have joined  Sheff Wed for £50k in total and they're widely tipped to be title contenders. 

TS has paid out more though, unless he's holding onto the Swindon compo money because he wont pay the invoices and hasn't the wealth to run the Club 🤣😂
  • I think we are better placed to start the season but need that depth to give us options and deal with injuries. Indeed, that depth can come later.
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Where is our bid for Cole Stockton? Until then, we won't get promoted and TS is shown not to be investing. 
    Oh FFS behave yourself
    Didn't you realise salaries are free. Absolutely no zero investment. Dis Gus Ting

• Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Most of the top teams have needed far less rebuilding than us.
  • edited July 2022
    Having seen yesterday’s game, arguably style of play, fitness and tactics will be as important as the individual players we sign. It’ll be a question of how quickly Garner can get that combo to click, but what was obvious to me was that the slower paced passing happens in the defensive third, while holding possession as much as possible, the midfield third is where the dynamism comes into play, including the full backs moving more infield (? - haven’t yet sussed why that is a thing) and then it is a case of midfielders pressing to the edge or in the box to complement the lone striker’s threat. A lot of chance creation, particularly second half. 5 subs rule will help us if our squad depth is strong enough. 

No disrespect to Dartford, but despite them being lesser opposition, that is the pattern I saw emerging. Let’s see if the same on Tuesday.

As others have said, unlike last season, we have enough about us to start the season with, and pleased to see TS acknowledge there is more business to be done. As just mentioned, with the increase in use of subs this season, we will need greater depth quality.
  • Where is our bid for Cole Stockton? Until then, we won't get promoted and TS is shown not to be investing. 
    Absurd logic.🙄
  • https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Edwards_(English_footballer)

28 which is old compared to recent signings but not too old.

Passes CL height test easily.

Was at Blackpool, now Dundee Utd so it must be our orange shirts that attracted him.

Under contract until next summer https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6907/RYAN-EDWARDS-COMMITS-FUTURE-TO-TANNADICE.html?key=dufc
    TS said effectivly not to expect anymore before the season kicks in I read on here.
    That's not to say no more at all though. The season starts end of this month, the window remains open for weeks after that.

We definitely aren't done but it might well be a quiet week or two.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I don't think anyone thinks we have.  We need the, in most cases, little bit of extra quality.  The cherry on the cake.

We are almost at the stage where it will be one in, one out.  That will tell us how much appetite there is for a successful season.

Although I am warming to the idea of a massive improvement this season and "blow it out the water" next year.
    I’m not, really don’t want 2 more seasons in this shite league. 
  • arny23394 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

And it won't get any easier.
  • arny23394 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

And it won't get any easier.
    It might. If we don't get promoted but finish in or around the playoffs we'd be a more attractive proposition to players than we are after last season.

Plus, if we build a playing style and only need to add 1 or 2 to finesse our approach next summer, that's easier than this summer's complete rebuild of approach.
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    They are the team to beat, as it stands IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Where is our bid for Cole Stockton? Until then, we won't get promoted and TS is shown not to be investing.

Guaranteed that two clubs will get promoted with out Cole Stockton, in fact it will probably be 3.
    Well we need to sign those Strikers too then!!
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Most of the top teams have needed far less rebuilding than us.
    And are not undergoing the same kind of playing style identity metamorphosis.

However, at this point last season Ipswich looked strong, but it didn't happen for them. We're all on the same points and GD at the moment, so I'm remaining optimistic for now.

I'd like to see a quality striker brought in as Aneke is likely to remain a super sub based on past track record, but after listening to TS's latest interview, I wouldn't bank on it, although he might be bluffing, playing his cards close to his chest to flush out targets.

To continue the card  playing analogy, if he doesn't find an ace of spades ♠️ to play up front, he might end up being dealt the dead man's hand again ☠️, and let's not forget he could end up with another joker 🃏. 

I'm sure you can guess what I've just been listening to?
  • edited July 2022
    Dundee Utd fans don’t seem happy in the comments. Very highly rated by the fans up there.

Would be an interesting target if true… good no nonsense defender but not exactly a ball player. Not a left footer either. Where does he fit?

Or is it all agent talk? He does need a new deal next summer…
  • Not a rumour but someone I'd like us to look at is Kabongo at Chesterfield
  • Dundee Utd fans don’t seem happy in the comments. Very highly rated by the fans up there.

Would be an interesting target if true… good no nonsense defender but not exactly a ball player. Not a left footer either. Where does he fit?

If we are shopping in Dundee what about Dylan James Christopher Levitt 🤔
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dundee Utd fans don’t seem happy in the comments. Very highly rated by the fans up there.

If we are shopping in Dundee what about Dylan James Christopher Levitt 🤔
    Heard they’ve got a decent striker too. Anthony Paul Watt.