Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• swordfish said:
    Where do we currently stand in terms of the squad size limit? How many more in before we have to move others on?
    Think this cap this year is 22 not including keepers or U21s. I make us on 18 currently - so 4 left.
    Assuming we allow one out (at least) then 5 comings sounds reasonable.
  • swordfish said:
    Where do we currently stand in terms of the squad size limit? How many more in before we have to move others on?
    Think this cap this year is 22 not including keepers or U21s. I make us on 18 currently - so 4 left.
    I thought it was 22 for 21/22 reducing to 21 for 22/23?

Originally it was 20 including goal keepers 🤯
  • Wasnt it due to reduce to 20 for this year?
  • swordfish said:
    Is that including Morgan, Davison and Clayden? They’re all too old to count as u21s.
  • edited July 2022
    cabbles said:
    The team that got promoted under Bowyer still needed work after the season started and before the deadline, so I have no issue with nothing happening in the next 2 weeks, as long as we don’t end up with the Leko, Lee & Arter type scenario.  I am quietly confident this won’t happen so fingers crossed we will have a decent squad/first XI by the end of the window.

the only thing I would caution is that we do need a real bit of quality to come in still.  I don’t look at that team and think, we just need a few for cover, I look at it and think, we need better, so the likes of DJ for example is cover 
    Yann signed after the season started too, and was the final piece of the jigsaw that gave that team the extra it needed. As long as we have a team good enough to pick up points and keep us in touch at the top then a bit of business a few weeks into the season is fine, especially if waiting that bit longer gets you real quality like Yann or Bielik, for example. 

The problem last season was that the squad was full of holes when the season started. This year’s still needs additions but we can, for example, put a full squad of senior pros and still have a few experienced players left out completely. 
    Another thing waiting can tell you or help tell you is where you are short in relation to the league. Especially when you are re-building. It is hard to know the effect new players may have, but gaps may become evident when it all kicks off. It is easier to fill these sort of gaps when you know where they are.
    I think that pre season training plus friendly matches should identify any gaps and we should attempt to fill those gaps by the time the season kicks off. 
    I does to a point but I think you should always save a couple of purchases for problems that may become apparent a few games in. In an ideal world of course.
  • edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rumours CBT has been enquired about.

Sure there was a poster who said on here pretty much right after the season ended that a champ club is interested.

And the cap is 21 this season, down to 20 the following season.
  • Scoham said:
    swordfish said:
    Is that including Morgan, Davison and Clayden? They’re all too old to count as u21s.
    I’ve included Morgan and Davison but not Clayden, assume he will go out on loan. 19 with him included - are we sure his birthday makes him included?
  • Sponsored links:

• after that article I now fully expect a couple of under the radar signings this week given that most so far have been surprises
  • AndyG said:
    The moaners or agenda pushers will be all over this saying TS is skint blah blah blah when if you read the interview what he is saying makes total sense. The bloke doesnt want to be ripped off and nor would most of us if it was our money
    TS is skint :wink:
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    The moaners or agenda pushers will be all over this saying TS is skint blah blah blah when if you read the interview what he is saying makes total sense. The bloke doesnt want to be ripped off and nor would most of us if it was our money
    TS is skint :wink:
    Why would be not be feeling the pinch after the last 2 years? 

He’ll have looked at the Huddersfield model of frees and loans and realised it can work .  I don’t think it will , but it can .
  • It looks like a good window so far but,  if you want the better strikers you need to be quick. They are not on the shelf long. We have 3 plus Davison. My guess is Garner sees him as a good bet or a trading block for an upgrade. I think we do need a CB a goalscorer and A LWB type. 
    Think the biggest problem is there aren't any better strikers available. Stockton may be a 1 season wonder.
    Anyway the wide forward is the position we really need. Whether McKirdy is one of the better wide forwards, I don't know either.
  • A colleague is close to Chelsea rumours and he has said we have made enquiries to the availability of a Harvey Vale on a season loan. 
    I prefer his mate Gardens to be honest :wink:

Chelsea Academy player of the year, the last one of them we had was quite good.

A midfielder 🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• A colleague is close to Chelsea rumours and he has said we have made enquiries to the availability of a Harvey Vale on a season loan. 
    He won the euros with England u19s
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Vale

"Initially a left-back, Vale played a number of positions at youth level, including covering for an injured goalkeeper for Fulham, before settling as a midfielder."
  • Swisdom said:
    as decent as the window has been so far….we need another striker.  No doubt in my mind we need someone who can sniff out chances and poach.
    Is Francis Jeffers still available?
  • In the main unless you are in the PL or doing ok in the championship, out of contract players are going to be most of the deals. I don’t understand why people think the players out of contract are sub standard to paying a fee. Players are out of contract for lots of reasons and most not because their clubs thought them poor. Most will be by design of the player and agent. Some because clubs choose not to offer a new deal, which doesn’t mean they are poor players but might be to clear wages off the books and free squad places. Players and agents are very much in the driving seat these days. Playing a game of brinkmanship, a player with a couple of offers on the table might secure a last minute increase as an enticement. Why wouldn’t they. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    A colleague is close to Chelsea rumours and he has said we have made enquiries to the availability of a Harvey Vale on a season loan. 
    I prefer his mate Gardens to be honest :wink:

Chelsea Academy player of the year, the last one of them we had was quite good.

A midfielder 🤔
    Very highly regarded in the England setup. Think there was just something on him in The Athletic.

He's an attacking player. Seems to be able to play anywhere in the attacking three in a 4-2-3-1. Five goals in 22 appearances for Chelsea's U23s last year as an 18 year old. 

I'd definitely have him. He'd probably be quite raw but also have potential and pedigree you wouldn't get with most L1 signings. 
  • Swisdom said:
    as decent as the window has been so far….we need another striker.  No doubt in my mind we need someone who can sniff out chances and poach.
    Two … with Davison going out on loan, IMO
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    It's all about brinkmanship. Selling clubs and agents know that the later they hold out the more money they all get as the panic sets in for buying clubs. At our level of buying a £3-500k sale can bankroll the clubs for a bit. Also the player might get a longer more lucrative contract.

I still think TS had money to put in, but doesn't want another dub or sicknote employee. 

The longer we delay into the start of the season the more we are behind the 8-ball. I would have thought we would have learnt THAT lesson from last season. 

Now I know it's not my money but spending an extra couple of hundred thousand now rather than waiting until August 31st might be the difference between success & failure......and staying in this division another season will cost TS a whole damn more than £200k. 

Remember Sorba Thomas anyone ?
    Sorba can't have been any good anyway, he was signed from a lower league. The best players are only signed from above 
    Husband record in the Championship is fine. In a higher league  than ours. 
    Sorry, Sorba's 
    I was being sarcastic. Of course there are good players in the lower leagues. But when we sign them we're shopping in Poundland.