Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Saw this today, Another quality singing we've missed out on. ;)
  • Quigley is a pacey two-footed forward.[54] Despite being 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), he prefers to play with the ball on the ground - From the ever reliable Wiki! Certainly plays like Stockton.

I understand issues with Stocktons lack of goals before the last 2 seasons but its evident he is a good player. He will score goals given the right service and create chances for others.

Personally think having him and Stockley in the same squad would be immense. 2 different styles to offer different ways to play and would bring the best out of each other!
    Are we going to play two central strikers, as central strikers, at the same time?

Competition is good, you can't have too many good players.  I cant see Stockton coming on that basis, or Stockley wanting to stay tbh.

The same with the nippy poacher I keep seeing mentioned.
  • Rothko said:
    BTW on the one season thing, I'm fully in on us getting McKirdy, but I'll rather take a punt on someone who's 25 and on the up, knows the manager, who has played his best football under Garner, and he's annoying little shit, and we badly need someone with a bit of spite in the team. 
    Blimey you are as anti-Stockton as I am anti-May. :-)
  • Rothko said:
    BTW on the one season thing, I'm fully in on us getting McKirdy, but I'll rather take a punt on someone who's 25 and on the up, knows the manager, who has played his best football under Garner, and he's annoying little shit, and we badly need someone with a bit of spite in the team. 
    Ha, I just don't see it, I think Jayden is as good, and he is not the droid your looking for, as someone once said. 
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Quigley is a pacey two-footed forward.[54] Despite being 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), he prefers to play with the ball on the ground - From the ever reliable Wiki! Certainly plays like Stockton.

I understand issues with Stocktons lack of goals before the last 2 seasons but its evident he is a good player. He will score goals given the right service and create chances for others.

Personally think having him and Stockley in the same squad would be immense. 2 different styles to offer different ways to play and would bring the best out of each other!
    Are we going to play two central strikers, as central strikers, at the same time?

Competition is good, you can't have too many good players.  I cant see Stockton coming on that basis, or Stockley wanting to stay tbh.

2 main strikers are needed, otherwise it'll be Davison competing with Stockley signing Stockton or someone similar is needed. If Stockley is out of form, gets injured etc then what? 

Doesn't mean they have to play together but would be an interesting combo if they did. If he stays then Davison with his energy might benefit and Leaburn/Kanu with there pace could do also. 

Stockley needs direct competition. No if or buts imo.

Edit: I admit I forgot about Aneke! Again...think hes great but his injury issues dont fill me with confidence about the whole season. Plus he can be an affective number 10.

• Also it's now been four working days since the last signing. Fully expecting some doomsday posts if we don't have another one through the door by the end of the week.
  • Were doomed, doomed, doomed! where oh where are any signings, we need more in by the end of this week.

Will that do?
  • Also it's now been four working days since the last signing. Fully expecting some doomsday posts if we don't have another one through the door by the end of the week.
    You need to apply the friendly result adjustment from now on. Six goals, one injury and a youth player impact probably delays the panic by a couple of days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Quigley is a pacey two-footed forward.[54] Despite being 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), he prefers to play with the ball on the ground - From the ever reliable Wiki! Certainly plays like Stockton.

We probably aren’t but we definitely need another one in the squad with Stockleys injuries of last season and his limitations. Hopefully get one that suits the style better so is more mobile and better receiving into feet than Stockley. Aneke can’t really start games so Stockley needs some competition that isn’t just Davison. 

The nippy poacher or Washington replacement I can’t see happening as a striker, as that type of player usually can’t play on their own up front at this level. We will hopefully be getting another winger that is a similar profile though with pace to get in behind 

• Rothko said:
    Anti may? You obviously suffer from hey fever and don't like bank holidays
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We probably aren’t but we definitely need another one in the squad with Stockleys injuries of last season and his limitations. Hopefully get one that suits the style better so is more mobile and better receiving into feet than Stockley. Aneke can’t really start games so Stockley needs some competition that isn’t just Davison. 

The nippy poacher or Washington replacement I can’t see happening as a striker, as that type of player usually can’t play on their own up front at this level. We will hopefully be getting another winger that is a similar profile though with pace to get in behind 

I agree with that and @king addick but I can't see a player like Stockton moving the length of the country to be in competition with some who is of similar ability.  I cant see Jayden being happy with it either.

I really can't see us signing a "star striker" and keeping Stockley if we are playing one up front.  I don't know what the solution is though because going into the season with Stockley, Aneke and Davison would be foolish.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I agree with that and @king addick but I can't see a player like Stockton moving the length of the country to be in competition with some who is of similar ability.  I cant see Jayden being happy with it either.

I really can't see us signing a "star striker" and keeping Stockley if we are playing one up front.  I don't know what the solution is though because going into the season with Stockley, Aneke and Davison would be foolish.
    Solution will probably be a loan from a prem club where it's understood he'd be getting minutes here and there.

Star signing will be wide forward. Although it's looking like Leaburn is being groomed as an option off the bench for this role also. Which is interesting because he looks like he'd be a goal scorer too. Wouldn't be surprised if he breaks into the first 11 at some point of the season.
    Kanu looks unfancied for this season.
  • edited July 2022
    Swisdom said:
    as decent as the window has been so far….we need another striker.  No doubt in my mind we need someone who can sniff out chances and poach.

I will call anyone who plays in a 1, 2 or 3 up front a forward as it seems to cause confusion when wingers, strikers are mentioned. Especially by someone the other week who called Salah and Mane wingers !

Pleased to hear you say that as we need that type of forward. We know the 3 up front didn't work last season, so just like Bolton did last season we need to have bodies in the box and around the six yard box when attacking from out wide. If Stockley/Aneke are the central striker(job share !) then you needs support from the number 10, 8 and the 7 if the ball comes from the left Flank with bodies to get on the end of a low or high cross. If the ball comes from the right flank then the 11 replaces the 7 in or around the area.
    If the central forward is isolated when you are attacking from out wide you are doing something very wrong.  

When we come up against poor CB's then would to be great to see sharp passing to score from central areas but that may take time to get the one two's up to standard.
  • Reading TS' comments, he's said he'd like some to go out on loan to get the right experiences which might free up a couple of places. Reading between the lines, surely the only two in our 21 that that approach applies to are Morgan and Davison, so can we assume they're being loaned out?
  • Jonniesta said:
    Reading TS' comments, he's said he'd like some to go out on loan to get the right experiences which might free up a couple of places. Reading between the lines, surely the only two in our 21 that that approach applies to are Morgan and Davison, so can we assume they're being loaned out?
    Clayden too I believe 
  • Rothko said:
    The other thing about Stockton, is he's spent the sum total of 1 season outside of the North West in his career, which makes a move to the other corner of the country unlikely
    A last-thirty minute season ticket to boost attendances?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Could signing McKirdy solve this as he can play all across the front 3. Can play wide right mostly but then can be an option through the middle if Stockley got injured so we don’t have to force Aneke to start every game. Not sure if McKirdy can play on his own up top so maybe not him, but it could be that we try and bring in 1 player that can cover central striker and play out wide 
  • Jonniesta said:
    Reading TS' comments, he's said he'd like some to go out on loan to get the right experiences which might free up a couple of places. Reading between the lines, surely the only two in our 21 that that approach applies to are Morgan and Davison, so can we assume they're being loaned out?
    We could loan Gilbey out.  He doesn’t need experience, but we could just loan him out if we’re too crowded.  
  • Sponsored links:

• People saying that Stockton is a one season wonder, but his "wonder" season was in L1, whereas McKirdy has only played in L2, for SIX different clubs in 6 season, 3 on loan from Villa, 3 as a permanent signing.
  • cabbles said:
    Jonniesta said:
    We could loan Gilbey out.  He doesn’t need experience, but we could just loan him out if we’re too crowded.  
    We could. But what I was suggesting is TS seems to indicate it'll only be for experience he'd do that. Would hope if he thinks AG should be loaned out, he'd bite the bullet and offload him permanently. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Could signing McKirdy solve this as he can play all across the front 3. Can play wide right mostly but then can be an option through the middle if Stockley got injured so we don’t have to force Aneke to start every game. Not sure if McKirdy can play on his own up top so maybe not him, but it could be that we try and bring in 1 player that can cover central striker and play out wide 
    I would suggest a Wilkes type player is the most logical solution.  If McKirdy didn't play for Swindon last season his name would never come up.  

Tyreece Simpson could tick a lot of boxes though........

Fits TS spending strategy as well.
  • Jonniesta said:
    cabbles said:
    Jonniesta said:
    We could. But what I was suggesting is TS seems to indicate it'll only be for experience he'd do that. Would hope if he thinks AG should be loaned out, he'd bite the bullet and offload him permanently. 
    It would be easier to loan him out, unless he pays up his contract.  Why would, or even should, Gilbey (as an example) go somewhere on 2 or 3k a week if he is earning 4 or 5 here?  
  • edited July 2022

Not sure how accurate it is but MK have apparently beaten us to the signing of Louie Barry. I’m sure Cawley dismissed the link? 
  • RedRobin said:

Not sure how accurate it is but MK have apparently beaten us to the signing of Louie Barry. I’m sure Cawley dismissed the link? 
    He said it was not one that was close, didn't dismiss it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RedRobin said:

He said it was not one that was close, didn't dismiss it.
    Pretty sure he said there was substance to the link. 
  • RedRobin said:
    There it be!! Shame as think he’d be a good signing, we need another winger. 
    Trust the black box analysis
  • Rothko said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    Rothko said:
    Don't get the Stockton thing, one freak season late in his career doesn't make him a player to spend a load of money on 
    Lyle Taylor?
    On a free, so a signing on fee. Not the few hundred grand that Morecombe will want, plus whatever Stockton wants to sweeten the deal
    According to my sources we also paid Lyle Taylor wages and a signing on fee to "sweeten the deal"