Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Well that's ruined my day. Miles has barely played for the U23s yet. Josh looked embarrassingly bad at league one level last year. That leaves Chuks, who can't play 90 minutes, and Jayden, who can barely kick a ball with his feet. 
  • edited July 2022
    There's a big distinction between 'not signing a striker' and 'not urgently signing a striker'. It's good to know he's not ruled out bringing one in but generally speaking the strikers are priority targets that get locked down early, if we don't want to fork out for a Cole Stockton or a McKirdy, then be prepared to have cast-off players that are only decided when clubs are settled. 

Personally didn't like the latest release, Davison should be nowhere near our actual playing squad this year and Leaburn shouldn't have this much pressure on his shoulders, he should be with the U23s unless he is setting those games on fire also.
  • Scoham said:
    Gonna to be fun reading the responses to this
    If this is to give us the upper hand in a bargaining position its fine. If he is serious it is moronic.

We will know by the end of August.
  • Scoham said:
    Give the kid a chance FFS. I absolutely do not think it fair to expect too much of Miles at this point. A hugely exciting prospect, but surely should only be considered as a cameo player and 5th/6th choice back up for the first team for his own development benefit? I thought it unfair on his father that we relied so much on him at his young/similar age at the time and while Carl did become a worthy cult hero, he took a lot of flak for it along the way, particularly through his barren spells in front of goal. Hopefully TS kidology rather than being too serious…
  • seth plum said:
    It is unlikely, but personally I would love it if Davison scored 12 or 15 goals for us next season.
    I base that on him being a good lad and a real trier, and some of the criticism has been harsh.
    Agree with both of those points, good lad, real trier, but crucially lacks core ability in-front of goal. A less-effective Connor Washington and let's face it, Connor wasn't effective enough for us even if he did get a move upwards. We seem to have become comfortable with mediocrity. 
  • Ideally Davison would go and we would bring in a quicker fox in the box who didn’t have an injury cloud hanging over him . 
  • Sponsored links:

• What date does the window slam shut this year?
  • Ideally Davison would go and we would bring in a quicker fox in the box who didn’t have an injury cloud hanging over him . 
    Easier said than done - We signed Lavelle, and his injury record was pretty good before coming here.
  • What date does the window slam shut this year?
    11pm on the 1st September
  • edited July 2022
    Croydon said:
    One for those who watch the youth set-up:

Did Leaburn and Kanu play in the same team last season or were they in different age brackets?

They played in the same team but Miles Leaburn is already 18 where Daniel Kanu is 18 in November which makes DK in the younger School/Scholar year.

In the few games I saw whenever they were on the field together Kanu would go right to receive the ball and Leaburn would be central. Kanu was in the box when the ball came from the left flank.

It's sounds like Leaburn is being tried collecting the ball out wider which I'm slightly surprised about but until I watch it in action I will reserve judgement. I saw a youth game involving Millwall last week at Whyteleafe and the Kenetic academy striker was a 17 year old 6ft 4 striker who played down the middle but would also go wide to collect the ball and make runs. Interesting to see how this pans out. 
  • Is it time to be furious yet?
  • edited July 2022
    Giving Leaburn 3-years for his first professional contract was certainly a big show of faith. Can't remember too many times we've done that?
  • If these comments are not just smoke and mirrors for agents, then I think these are some very naïve comments to make. I honestly would have preferred him to say nothing than hype up Miles Leaburn. The lad scored a couple of goals against Dartford in a friendly and may well be looking on the cusp of being a squad player, but, with no league games played, I just really doubt he's going to smash in 10+ goals. I'd love it if I was wrong and he became a prodigy - even if he did do that, he'd be off in January.

Goals have been an issue the past couple of seasons. We'd need an extra 20 L1 goals a season to realistically have a chance of playoffs. Stockley should be 10-15, but we'd need him to stay fit and ideally get 20+. We've lost Washington (who put in 10 a season, albeit somewhat wastefully) and not replaced him. Aneke historically cannot be relied on for lots of minutes, but should be in/around 10. Davison/Leaburn will be lucky to get 3+ each.  The numbers just don't add up, particularly when our midfield doesn't tend to chip in anywhere near enough. Fraser would need a massive season in terms of goals, plus Kirk and CBT.

There is a massive over-reliance on Stockley. If he's out at any time, I just think we lack any threat at all against the majority of teams. After watching Stockton's control/hold up play + his numbers last season, I would pay the money to get him in. I'd have him as my main man, with Stockley off the bench or up with him if the situation suited it. He may not hit 20+ again, but I reckon he'd be good for 10-15 easy in this league.

If we don't sign a striker, we're going to be losing tight games and drawing games we should win. We don't have enough strength in depth up front and TS should be putting his hand in his pocket for someone decent. I doubt even a young Prem loan will be the answer here. I'm really concerned that the lack of a striker signing is going to cost us again.
  • seth plum said:
    It is unlikely, but personally I would love it if Davison scored 12 or 15 goals for us next season.
    I base that on him being a good lad and a real trier, and some of the criticism has been harsh.
    I think we’d all love to see him succeed, he does try hard and comes across quite popular, however those attributes don’t make you score lots. Judging on what we’ve seen he isn’t good enough to get us promoted, the same applies for Morgan, and now possibly Gilbey whom I thought had something about him but has disappointed. With  The forwards we have a lot needs to improve individually, chuks needs to be more consistent and be more available, Stockley needs to improve his all round game, not sure either are able to achieve those things, which is my reasoning for needing probably two more forwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Airman did warn us that TS appears to be doing this season on the cheap. I don’t want to believe it but it’s looking that way. TS has splashed out the last couple of seasons but our form has got worse. Roland is still our problem, because we don’t own our assets we are only going to attract crooks or owners like TS, great intentions but not very shrewd when it comes to football. If he was shrewd then he wouldn’t have bought us. I hope it’s just a statement to cool of the agents.
  • Scoham said:
    Gonna to be fun reading the responses to this
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One hasn't played a league game in his life
    One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    One has a history of not being able to play 90 mins
    One had a back injury last season & only played 30 odd games.
    Golfie you are an intelligent switched on fella if you were TS would you publically say that a striker is a priority? How many digits would that statement add to an agents asking price ? It has been said already that the transfer market is weird atm due to asking prices but will get sensible later on. Well if everyone knows we need a striker according to the owner the prices ain't going to drop very quickly are they?
  • Airman did warn us that TS appears to be doing this season on the cheap. I don’t want to believe it but it’s looking that way. TS has splashed out the last couple of seasons but our form has got worse. Roland is still our problem, because we don’t own our assets we are only going to attract crooks or owners like TS, great intentions but not very shrewd when it comes to football. If he was shrewd then he wouldn’t have bought us. I hope it’s just a statement to cool of the agents.
    If you could pay money for the same type of player we have already got or get them on a free..what would you do? Keeping cost down is a given, its to be expected.

TS has already proven he will spend on players but it surely has to be right person instead of throwing money at any and everything. 

Things like with Leaburn, if Garner feels he is good enough then he deserves a chance to show it. Personally feel we need another striker as Ive mentioned. 

I am confident that we will get the signings that we need. Might be second or third choice but Gallen knows what he is doing. 

He hasn’t come out and said he isn’t going to spend any money has he?  Based on that comment nobody would buy a football club, what would you prefer, someone not being shrewd and buying a club and spunking his own money how he wishes or potentially and more selfishly no club to support?. He’s an idiot for being naive and over enthusiastic, and now an idiot for reigning things in and trying to avoid his pants being pulled down.  What do people want and how do those wants, get achieved?. I’d suggest waiting to see if we can challenge to go up and go from there, instead of picking holes in every interview. Hopefully the support down the valley is as vociferous as the moaning. Probably won’t be though because those moaning probably don’t go, or go and cheer us along like they’ve not moaned about anything, until we lose!!
  • Based on Saturday we will be playing 433. 

The starting front 3 was Kirk - Stockley - DJ
    The closing front 3 was Davison - Aneke - Leaburn

We also have CBT to come in. 

To me to play this system we're still missing a goal scoring wide forward, as I can't see the likes of Kirk, DJ and CBT scoring enough goals in L1 for a promotion seeking side. The one player we had last season who has scored goals in that position is Elliott Lee (12 for Luton as they got promoted) but under Jacko we went to 2 up front, and he ended up in midfield where he's not suited. 
  • edited July 2022
    I will say the Caveat that I'm really chuffed about Miles being the one from the Youth team to be elevated to the 1st team squad.
    I thought Kanu could have gone to Spain as well but there may be reasons that the prolific scorer in the U18 didn't go other than he is still 17. Miles was played in a position in the kick about against Kilmarnock that he said in that interview he wasn't used to. Daniel was used to getting the ball in a wider Position and I thought he looked bigger and stronger but sports science should be listened too.

It seems premature of Thomas to speak about Leaburn as if he has arrived after scoring against trialists in the Dartford team. I assume his performances in training must be top notch as well ? 

I analyze football with out being influenced by other comments. Football agents, coaches, managers, recruitment and owners won't fall for those comments of TS. I desperately want Cafc to succeed under Thomas Sandgaard tenure. The phone calls to agents and recruitment people at clubs have surely been happening since the day Conor Washington was leaving, if not there is something remiss if Steve Gallen hasn't been phoning his myriad of contacts in the game.

We need the forward who can play wide, support Aneke/Stockley and most important score between 10 and 15 goals as well as assists.

I don't see that player at Charlton though I do think CBT will score a few this season if again he has less defensive responsibility and more attacking whether on the right or left depending on the balance of the side.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Fans: Play the youngsters, they're one of our own and we want them in the team!!!

TS: We will try and play some our youngsters and put them in the match day teams and squads.

Fans: You cheapskate! You can't rely on youngsters to play any games, they are too young and not ready!
    TS ; OK let's have a whip round and by the next Ronnie Moore .
    Buy ! 
    Bye.
  • edited July 2022
    The Josh Davison 3rd choice expirement failed last year as did the promte the youth goalscorer. We´ll bring another forward or two in (2 if someone does decide to take Davison off us) but would lower the expectations a bit, we bought our strikers last season.

Stockley - 6- 800k
    Aneke - 300k

Are we really going to go and spunk another 500k plus on a 2nd/3rd, or a mill on a new 1st choice? circa 2 million spent on strikers to then have two of them  on the bench for at least half a game. eh... not massively convinced.

A half decent free and prem loan. Theres still some decent league one wide forward additons out there to be made. (would be nice to have them now of course, but, oh well)