Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    Gonna to be fun reading the responses to this
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One hasn't played a league game in his life
    One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    One has a history of not being able to play 90 mins
    One had a back injury last season & only played 30 odd games.
    People won't be happy until we have 5 first team level strikers better than what we currently have to compete for one spot. If you're playing one up front you need one striker. You need a backup for that striker for injuries or poor form. You then need another striker so that you still have a bit of depth of the bench to cover those injuries and losses of form. After that it's good to have another backup, which will always be a youth player because no-one is coming in to be 4th choice in a one striker team. Stockley is a good first choice. Aneke is the best sub you can have at this level. He'll get injured, which is why we should upgrade on Davison, but we should not pay well above the odds for a third choice. After that of course Leaburn is our fourth choice, it doesn't matter that he hasn't played a league game, he has to start somewhere and we need a pathway for young players. Sandgaard is in no rush because we're looking for the best possible backup striker and we're not going to spaff huge amounts of the budget on bringing in a player who we don't actually need every week.    
    But we need better than Stockley to lead the line. He's too one dimensional, our first choice striker needs to be better on the floor and with his feet than Jayden is now
    I think you’re doing Stockley an injustice there…..he’s pretty good with link up play and with the ball on the floor, better than the majority of ‘up top’ League 1 strikers I’d say.
    Have we been watching the same Stockley?, the blonde fella right?🤣🤣 I’m afraid I agree with sam3110 on this one. Shockley is good at what he does well, but equally poor at the things he doesn’t.
  • sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    People won't be happy until we have 5 first team level strikers better than what we currently have to compete for one spot. If you're playing one up front you need one striker. You need a backup for that striker for injuries or poor form. You then need another striker so that you still have a bit of depth of the bench to cover those injuries and losses of form. After that it's good to have another backup, which will always be a youth player because no-one is coming in to be 4th choice in a one striker team. Stockley is a good first choice. Aneke is the best sub you can have at this level. He'll get injured, which is why we should upgrade on Davison, but we should not pay well above the odds for a third choice. After that of course Leaburn is our fourth choice, it doesn't matter that he hasn't played a league game, he has to start somewhere and we need a pathway for young players. Sandgaard is in no rush because we're looking for the best possible backup striker and we're not going to spaff huge amounts of the budget on bringing in a player who we don't actually need every week.    
    But we need better than Stockley to lead the line. He's too one dimensional, our first choice striker needs to be better on the floor and with his feet than Jayden is now
    I think you’re doing Stockley an injustice there…..he’s pretty good with link up play and with the ball on the floor, better than the majority of ‘up top’ League 1 strikers I’d say.
    On Saturday he tripped over a tap-in from three yards out
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

I saw Jimmy Greaves do that as well.
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

Baffled by posters I respect saying he's good on the floor. The amount of times he's tried to play a simple bounce pass and it's ended up hitting his boot and flying off his shin!
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

To be fair, looking at the behind-the-scenes footage released you can see that DJ’s pass is behind Stockley and he has to stretch his foot back to reach the ball. 

Looks worse than what it was.
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

Baffled by posters I respect saying he's good on the floor. What game are you watching... The amount of times he's tried to play a simple bounce pass and it's ended up hitting his boot and flying off his shin!
    It’s maybe a cliche, but if stockley was better with his feet, he’d be a championship regular and not dropping down to league 1.
  • But surely to play in a team that's tactics will probably revolve around a lot of possession in the final third and moving the ball around to try and create openings, the lone striker needs to be good with his feet. But pointless if half the time you can't rely on passing to one of the guys because his touch and passing will let him down. Aneke is a lot better on the ball than Stockers but can't be relied on to play every week. I genuinely believe for Garner-ball to be a success we need a better striker and a winger that's going to score goals (remember when we had JBG on the right?)
  • edited July 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    People don't seem to understand the basics of business. Why would he come out and say we are in the market/desperate for a striker, thus putting additional value onto any player Charlton bid for? It's really simple. 
    I agree totally. You wouldn't. But this is where the trust in TS isn't fully there yet. As for Stockley, he is a League One striker and one that most if not all League One teams would want. No more too say really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    People don't seem to understand the basics of business. Why would he come out and say we are in the market/desperate for a striker, thus putting additional value onto any player Charlton bid for? It's really simple. 
    It's also really simple to just say nothing rather than us all guessing what he was trying to do by saying it. These games don't matter in business as much as this (and other) forums seem to think. There's a certain value to every commodity and Sandgaard saying something to the SLP is not some game of 4-D chess, it's more likely the truth he's admitting to just off the cuff.
  • J BLOCK said:
    I agree totally. You wouldn't. But this is where the trust in TS isn't fully there yet. As for Stockley, he is a League One striker and one that most if not all League One teams would want. No more too say really. 
    He needs someone up with him to be at his most effective. That is my worry dependant upon how Garner uses him. When things don’t go well he gets extremely frustrated which quite often is because of his lack of not being that all round player, it quite often manifests itself into having a pop at players in his own team. Although at times they deserved it!!🤣
  • J BLOCK said:
    Basics of business v stakeholder management though.  Sometimes maybe better to simply say nothing at all or choose words more carefully.

Personally I am not bothered by what he says but others are and as I said on the youth team thread I do wish he had mentioned Kanu as I would possibly be bothered if I was him coming off a 40 goal season and not even getting a mention when the owner is talking about Leaburn being a squad player.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Sorry mate, but if that was simply a diversionary bluff by Sandguard then I'm a monkey's uncle.
    I get he needs to be cute, but I am not  buying that's all it was.
    (Now, pass me that banana would you)
  • J BLOCK said:
    Basics of business v stakeholder management though.  Sometimes maybe better to simply say nothing at all or choose words more carefully.

Personally I am not bothered by what he says but others are and as I said on the youth team thread I do wish he had mentioned Kanu as I would possibly be bothered if I was him coming off a 40 goal season and not even getting a mention when the owner is talking about Leaburn being a squad player.
    Do you not think people over analyse and pick sentences they want focus on to suit. He was probably asked about leaburn because of his goals at the weekend, I’d say Kanu is well aware what the club think of him and the plan with him going forward, maybe he doesn’t want to big him up yet?How many players should have been mentioned that did well at the lower age groups last season?, he’s not going to list everyone. Not questioning you personally, just a thought.
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

More the case the ball was just behind him 
  • J BLOCK said:

I’m sorry, but you’ve lost me now. Why would TS mention Kanu when being interviewed after the game?
    Leaburn went to Spain, has been training with the squad and had just scored two goals. It would have cheapened his comments to then start mentioning others IMO.

• J BLOCK said:
    Why does he have to say anything? Any agent who is taken in by TS bigging up the proven ineffective Davison and the totally unproven Leaburn is not worth his salt anyway.
    Putting pressure on the boy Leaburn is not very smart either.
  • Southbank said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Why does he have to say anything? Any agent who is taken in by TS bigging up the proven ineffective Davison and the totally unproven Leaburn is not worth his salt anyway.
    Putting pressure on the boy Leaburn is not very smart either.
    People react differently to pressure, 18 coming through an academy nowadays where they are prepared for what’s to come if they intend to be successful is a different kettle of fish to the past. If he is good enough at eighteen it won’t be pressure. But we will find out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    It is unlikely, but personally I would love it if Davison scored 12 or 15 goals for us next season.
    I base that on him being a good lad and a real trier, and some of the criticism has been harsh.
    I am 100% on this,same applies to Morgan,both these lads are Charlton through and through ,I hope that Ben can get the best out of them,because there is nothing like seeing lads that have been here for years playing well for the first team.
    Maybe there's better to come from Davison but we've seen enough from Morgan to doubt that's true of him too, sadly.
  • Vfrf said:
    There's a big distinction between 'not signing a striker' and 'not urgently signing a striker'. It's good to know he's not ruled out bringing one in but generally speaking the strikers are priority targets that get locked down early, if we don't want to fork out for a Cole Stockton or a McKirdy, then be prepared to have cast-off players that are only decided when clubs are settled. 

Personally didn't like the latest release, Davison should be nowhere near our actual playing squad this year and Leaburn shouldn't have this much pressure on his shoulders, he should be with the U23s unless he is setting those games on fire also.
    And there's the rub. We get a player who scores a few goals (Burstow being the last one) and we immediately think he's the next Killer/Walsh/Mendonca.

I'll start getting excited when they have a scoring record in the reserves like Owen or Fowler.

We are miles away from uncovering a gem like those. Defenders & Midfielders we can produce with our eyes shut. Strikers are an enigma.    
  • edited July 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    At the same time, people said this back when Bowyer told Cawley "No, we're definitely not looking for a striker."

And again when Adkins said he was happy with Josh Davison as Stockley's backup and they wouldn't be looking to bring in anyone else. 

Sometimes they're just telling the truth. 

At least Sandgaard didn't say 'definitely,' that's the only solace I'm taking. I take what he said to mean that if someone they think improves us becomes available, they'll act on it, but they're not pulling up trees to make something happen like they might be in other departments.
  • sandgaard = hiding to nothing.

whatever he says, whatever he does, he is going to get crucified
    Then don't say anything. He's the owner, not the manager. He doesn't have to a say anything about our transfer policy. 
  • AndyG said:
    Scoham said:

Golfie you are an intelligent switched on fella if you were TS would you publically say that a striker is a priority? How many digits would that statement add to an agents asking price ? It has been said already that the transfer market is weird atm due to asking prices but will get sensible later on. Well if everyone knows we need a striker according to the owner the prices ain't going to drop very quickly are they?
    I'm glad you asked that as I've seen a few comments of this ilk.

I think its daft thinking that if a manager or owner says nothing about what players they want they are going to bag a bargain because other clubs will think we are skint. Do you think we just creep up from behind & nab someone. Its imbecilic to think that it makes a difference if a club knows that you are in for a striker or a defender. Might make a difference at  22.59 on August 31st when 2 weeks before your main striker has been stretched off with a broken leg but in early July ???  Players are moving all the time so what does it matter if its known we are in for a certain position - lots of other clubs are too. we are not unique. 

Bonkers. 
  • sandgaard = hiding to nothing.

whatever he says, whatever he does, he is going to get crucified
    Then don't say anything. He's the owner, not the manager. He doesn't have to a say anything about our transfer policy. 
    I like an open and communicating owner and I am interested in what he has to say.

It is to be expected that some prefer to misunderstand the most benign comment and make it an issue, but that is their problem to deal with, not his.
  • Has there even ever been a case where a club has suddenly changed, upping its valuation of a player because owner/CEO/Manager had said they want xyz? or the other belief that getting a big cash windfall puts the prices up?

Clubs value a player, agents know it and tout it, player power etc. is a selling club suddenly going to get all billy big bollocks  or pound sign agents going to risk it all?

Didnt Bolton feck up with the Cahill transfer rejected like 10mil from Chelsea in the summer to end up selling him for 7 in the Jan?
  • I remember Malcolm Alison at Man City wanted to sign Steve McKenzie from Palace. He offered 50k and Palace rejected it and decided to hold out for 100k. Malcolm Alison then came back with a revised offer of 250k. He went on to play 100 games for Charlton as well.