Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Really wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jackson whose interested in signing him. 
    You think Wimbledon is a realistic option?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Really wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jackson whose interested in signing him. 
    You think Wimbledon is a realistic option?
    Probably rather stay south and knows jacko. They could offer him a longer contract with an option to leave for a certain fee vs a league 1 team who offer 1 year for a little bit more a week. He probably wants to get a big contract as possible knowing his injury record. 
  • cafckev said:
    Is Jack Ross lightly to do us any favours after what we did to him at Sunderland?

So, you think he might come down on us like a "ton of bricks" eh... B)
  • CafcSCP said:
    Garner obviously doesn’t rate him v the other options 
    Not sure that is the case.  The article doesn't say we're trying to off loan him because BG doesn't rate him.
  • cabbles said:
    Unpopular opinion, but I don’t think he’s as good as everyone makes out.  I think he’s okay.  I don’t quite understand what he’s done over the 5 years he’s been here to be seen as a cut above or too good for this league.  He’s got a good level of understanding, has been brought up in football circles and is competent, but I have never got the buzz that others seem to have.  

I think he’s at his level in league one
    For me he’s a good L1 player and he would have got more game time than Lapslie, Reeves etc in 18/19 had he been fit.

Dobson, Fraser, McGrandles and JFC feels like four first choice players for three positions. The first three all signed in the last year, are younger and on longer deals so I can see why he wants to explore his options.

Gilbey, Morgan and Clare are the squad players with Henry the u23 trying to overtake them. It would be nice if it means we can bring in Payne as I’d like to have the depth, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of other positions. Some will say it’s proof of “Skintgaard” but it’s the squad cap that limits us as well as the budget.
  • I think if we can get some money in for him it’s worth it, I don’t think he going to get any better and we don’t know for sure the toll the injuries have taken. Take the money and reinvest. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Then why overload this are and not get fullbacks or goalscoring forwards !
    So us having enough options that we can lose JFC and NOT have to replace him is suddenly a bad thing?! Interesting take.

I'd rather he stayed as I like and rate him but I can see the logic behind letting him go if the offer suits everyone involved.
  • Althought I dont rate him that much & not bothered if he stays or goes but he needs to stay & fight for his place. We stood by him last season, gave him a new contract when he was injured & out for most of the season. Now it's his turn to show some loyalty. 

Wibble.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Althought I dont rate him that much & not bothered if he stays or goes but he needs to stay & fight for his place. We stood by him last season, gave him a new contract when he was injured & out for most of the season. Now it's his turn to show some loyalty. 

Wibble.
    The club were probably protecting theyre own interests aswell by the way, if this scenario came up.  If he has been told he isn’t going to get the minutes, then it’s the best thing for all concerned.
  • edited July 2022
    Althought I dont rate him that much & not bothered if he stays or goes but he needs to stay & fight for his place. We stood by him last season, gave him a new contract when he was injured & out for most of the season. Now it's his turn to show some loyalty. 

Wibble.
    It sounds like he wants out, and the club are ready to allow him to explore those avenues, which is fine as we do seem well covered in those areas, and his departure would free up space and cash to strengthen less well of areas, ie a mobile striker which we desperately need, so yes we did stand by him, and loyalty is short some times, but needs must...
  • JFC = poor man's Josh Cullen
  • Althought I dont rate him that much & not bothered if he stays or goes but he needs to stay & fight for his place. We stood by him last season, gave him a new contract when he was injured & out for most of the season. Now it's his turn to show some loyalty. 

Wibble.
    If he wanted off, and we were reluctant to sell then I'd agree with you

But by the sounds of things its completely mutual.
  • ButtleJR said:
    I don't think Jake would start many games in the system we're playing. May also be a bit intense for him given his history. Wouldn't surprise me if Robinson is in for him. 
    Biggest concern is that we would strengthening a promotion rival. Definitely would make a good addition to almost any of the top clubs in this division. League 1 is probably his highest ability, but definitely feel he can contribute in a successful team this year.

• Far too slow for Garner's style of football .
    Like the guy, but not too bothered if he moves on .
  • Classic Charlton to pay him for 12+ months while injured, sell him once fit, replace him with an already injured player (McGrandles)
    It's actually a smart move from the club. 
  • Let's cut to the chase:

When we don't have the ball, Fraser, Kirk and JFC aren't great at getting the ball back. Jake is fine on the ball but the game continues to evolve and Fraser is ahead of him in the pecking order now.
    "Football is all about politics" a direct quote from Rhoys Wiggins  to me six months after he quit after his final injury on loan at Birmingham. 

As we do need another forward who can play wide and central then if JFC moved on to a League 1 club his wages could go towards the unknown forward that we do need. As well as a Left footed LB obviously.

If Wimbledon could give JFC a good financial package and they did sell the 21 year old Jack Rudoni to Huddersfield for 750k rising to 1 million last week with add on's so it's possible that JJ would love to get Jake in. 

From Richard Crawley so I think this story has legs but Jake won't be forced out unless the deal is right for him in the insecure world of football where like Rhoys Wiggins your career can be over by 30 and then you have to get another job if you haven't had a Premier contract. 
  • Sponsored links:

Wibble.
    He did sign a new contract. That is a show of loyalty. He didn't just bugger off.

He had no choice. We exercised the one year option we had, so he had to sign. I said at that time he was not happy about that and wanted to leave. This situation reinforces that. He has wanted out for a while.
  • This feels fair enough. And as he's under contract, we can afford to be more hardball over any transfer fee depending on who the new club is!

i.e. we may let him go for a nominal fee if he's going to a Lincoln or Pompey, but demand more money if it's a Wednesday or Barnsley
  • Krystein Belik looking to be loaned out by Derby and obviously pick up the ridiculous wage they are paying him. 
  • I'm not surprised teams are interested in JFC. He's a decent player at this level with some Championship experience and he's got one year on his contract. That's exactly the kind of player who pops up on any team's scouting list. His injury record might hold him back from being a primary target for some teams but given his contract status he's unlikely to cost a huge amount. At the moment we have McGrandles, JFC, Gilbey, Morgan, Dobson, Fraser and sort of Clare fighting for those three spots. Henry is also coming through. JFC also has a bit of a history of not meshing that well with cerain midfield partners; I think he likes to be the deeper midfielder pulling the strings and he's not so good at dovetailing with players in his space, so he's never lookd very good with Dobson or Gilbey. It could be that Garner actually loves him and would rather keep him but it wouldn't shock me if the midfield plan was Fraser, McGrandles and Dobson with Morgan as the one to rotate in. If you're JFC you're probably not loving that after not playing for a year. I reckon there won't be any rush to move him on but if we get a decent big and Jake pushes for the move we'll not fall apart with him gone despite how good a player he is. I also felt that in the Championship in central midfield for us he looked like the speed of the game passed him by in the few appearances he made so he might not be the future up a divison.
    It would free up a wage in the squad and for a player with his injury record a move would probably suit all parties.
  • Bailey said:
    Krystein Belik looking to be loaned out by Derby and obviously pick up the ridiculous wage they are paying him. 
    They still owe Arsenal about 8 mill for him .. Arsenal
    did not push for the full
    amount to be paid but agreed an instalment plan to help them out .. so expect any loan will have to cover that payment as well 
  • Pity is that JFC can also play left back, and we don't have too many like that. However I trust Garner's judgement.
  • I think everyone reading too much in to JFC.. Club not actively looking to sell.. More if the right opportunity come availalbe for the club and player they would look at it.. 

Not sure people can question loyalty from both sides, it just might benefit both parties.

One of the reasons Gilbey will stay, he does add a bit of pace, and able to beat players in the middle of the park, he is different to what we have currently! .. JFC, Morgan, Dobson, Henry, McGrandles are all similar players, they like to sit deep and get on the ball..