Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    I would much rather keep JFC than a lot of the other players we have but it sort of makes sense.

Remember he was our POTY when we finished 7th and runner up when we finished 6th so certainly good enough for a top six side.  We missed him so much last season.

I think he suffers from comparison to Cullen.  If he hadn’t done his ACL he probably would have been a championship player last season, there was plenty of interest.  He still might be.

Birmingham or Oxford would be my bets.
  • edited July 2022
    Wrong thread woops.
  • edited July 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I think everyone reading too much in to JFC.. Club not actively looking to sell.. More if the right opportunity come availalbe for the club and player they would look at it.. 

Not sure people can question loyalty from both sides, it just might benefit both parties.

One of the reasons Gilbey will stay, he does add a bit of pace, and able to beat players in the middle of the park, he is different to what we have currently! .. JFC, Morgan, Dobson, Henry, McGrandles are all similar players, they like to sit deep and get on the ball.. 

I agree the reason why Gilbey would fit in with Garner's plans but I seem to be the only person who thinks( I believe George does !)this but after Dobson goal last season and the home game with Morecambe when George enjoyed being given licence to charge forward and made two excellent runs into the box I'm certain he would love to be a central midfielder and a box to box man, plus last night Morgan ran on to the ball in an advance position and on this rare occasions smashed the ball into the back of the net.
    McGrandles i only know what's been said on here or Lincoln's website as can't remember him, though I was at the Home game against the Imps.

The position players play under a manager is often not their preference. Stockley as a lone striker or a RB having to play LB when he knows he can't tackle with his Left foot, and feels uncomfortable charging forward on his wrong side.
  • If we lose JFC, will we have any left footed players in the senior squad?
  • If we lose JFC, will we have any left footed players in the senior squad?
    Fraser
  • JFC = poor man's Josh Cullen
    Compared to Burnley we are a poor man. I think JFC is good League 1 player, but with his injury record and Garner’s new approach, we can probably live without him. 

Having said that, he’ll probably go back to Brighton now and tear up the premier league. 
  • cafckev said:
    masicat said:
    I remember Malcolm Alison at Man City wanted to sign Steve McKenzie from Palace. He offered 50k and Palace rejected it and decided to hold out for 100k. Malcolm Alison then came back with a revised offer of 250k. He went on to play 100 games for Charlton as well. 
    One of my top 5 Charlton players is ol’ Steve McKenzie 
    What a midfield we had then with Mackenzie,Andy Peake and Colin Walsh.
  • JFC best and most versatile player we have got big mistake to let him go.If they want to make room in the squad Gilbey should be the one to let go. 
    Who's going to take him?
  • JFC best and most versatile player we have got big mistake to let him go.If they want to make room in the squad Gilbey should be the one to let go. 
    Who's going to take him?
    Swindon - swap for Williams 😎
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d rather us keep JFC, but if it means it gives us funds to sign another left-footed player in midfield (Jack Payne for example) then I’m sure Garner would much rather do that.
  • Could be they realise we need to offload a midfielder and JFC is the best mix of marketable and disposable.  The right offer may also not come, so let’s see.  
  • cafckev said:
    masicat said:
    I remember Malcolm Alison at Man City wanted to sign Steve McKenzie from Palace. He offered 50k and Palace rejected it and decided to hold out for 100k. Malcolm Alison then came back with a revised offer of 250k. He went on to play 100 games for Charlton as well. 
    One of my top 5 Charlton players is ol’ Steve McKenzie 
    What a midfield we had then with Mackenzie,Andy Peake and Colin Walsh.
    Andy "The Rocket" Peake, don't make me laugh!!
  • Letting JFC go is the best decision imo, room for another player into the squad, and hopefully a winger/forward.
  • edited July 2022
    swordfish said:
    JFC best and most versatile player we have got big mistake to let him go.If they want to make room in the squad Gilbey should be the one to let go. 
    Who's going to take him?
    Swindon - swap for Williams 😎
    Other league one teams that may be interested in him could potentially be 

Cheltenham, Burton, Forest Green, Cambridge, Exeter, Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Bristol Rovers.  Not sure he would relocate to Morecombe or further north, who knows.

Then I think there’s the likes of Colchester, Orient, Gillingham, Crawley, Northampton, Swindon, Stevenage, Sutton and maybe Walsall in league 2.

Can’t see any other teams coming in for him other than clubs like these 

Edit - this is the list of clubs for Gilbey, not JFC.  Agree he could end up somewhere like Oxford or Pompey perhaps.  Maybe even Reading given his dad’s connection there and the fact they don’t have money to spend if we released him from his contract.  Although, as mentioned, not Championship quality for me 
  • Althought I dont rate him that much & not bothered if he stays or goes but he needs to stay & fight for his place. We stood by him last season, gave him a new contract when he was injured & out for most of the season. Now it's his turn to show some loyalty. 

Wibble.
    He did sign a new contract. That is a show of loyalty. He didn't just bugger off.

He had no choice. We exercised the one year option we had, so he had to sign. I said at that time he was not happy about that and wanted to leave. This situation reinforces that. He has wanted out for a while.
    Hmmm. He didn't want out last summer when he was injured & his contract was up. If he wanted to leave he could have left then. On a free. I wonder why he didn't..........
  • Just a few weeks ago JFC said he's the best in the division at what he does. Can't see him going to League 2. 
  • Oxford would definitely be interested I think. We’d be silly to let him leave and not bring in a replacement though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    Gonna to be fun reading the responses to this
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One hasn't played a league game in his life
    One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    One has a history of not being able to play 90 mins
    One had a back injury last season & only played 30 odd games.
    People won't be happy until we have 5 first team level strikers better than what we currently have to compete for one spot. If you're playing one up front you need one striker. You need a backup for that striker for injuries or poor form. You then need another striker so that you still have a bit of depth of the bench to cover those injuries and losses of form. After that it's good to have another backup, which will always be a youth player because no-one is coming in to be 4th choice in a one striker team. Stockley is a good first choice. Aneke is the best sub you can have at this level. He'll get injured, which is why we should upgrade on Davison, but we should not pay well above the odds for a third choice. After that of course Leaburn is our fourth choice, it doesn't matter that he hasn't played a league game, he has to start somewhere and we need a pathway for young players. Sandgaard is in no rush because we're looking for the best possible backup striker and we're not going to spaff huge amounts of the budget on bringing in a player who we don't actually need every week.    
    But we need better than Stockley to lead the line. He's too one dimensional, our first choice striker needs to be better on the floor and with his feet than Jayden is now
    I think you’re doing Stockley an injustice there…..he’s pretty good with link up play and with the ball on the floor, better than the majority of ‘up top’ League 1 strikers I’d say.
    Stockley is dreadful with the ball on the floor. 
    I wouldn’t say he’s dreadful, but he’s no Kieth Weller or Derek Possee. 
    Not surprising Weller & Possee were originally wingers. 
  • Really hope he stays. In the same mould as Washington. A quality pro with no lack of skill. We need players like that in and around the squad. 
    That said, I suspect this is more about what’s best for JFC and securing his future. 
  • I can only think that all the people clamoring for a "Washington replacement" and saying we desperately need a striker because look what happened last year, just don't understand formations.

We do need a goal scoring wide forward, yes.

We need Harry Gregory. :smile:

You can only let him go if another club is interested in him.
  • Must admit i find this news positive - his attributes don't outweigh his lack of physicality and he wouldn't have got in our promotion team of 2019 - we need to swop out for better and clearly he has been told he won't be a first choicer - i make that right if we are serious about challenginging at the top  
  • edited July 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    Must admit i find this news positive - his attributes don't outweigh his lack of physicality and he wouldn't have got in our promotion team of 2019 - we need to swop out for better and clearly he has been told he won't be a first choicer - i make that right if we are serious about challenginging at the top  
    You dont think he'd have been ahead of Reeves or Lapslie in terms of Midfield options that year?

Reeves who played nearly 30-games for us in 2018/19 - Cullen alone was out of action for about two months, but could even question if we'd have signed Josh, if JFC hadnt picked up the ACL prior to the season starting
  • DOUCHER said:
    Must admit i find this news positive - his attributes don't outweigh his lack of physicality and he wouldn't have got in our promotion team of 2019 - we need to swop out for better and clearly he has been told he won't be a first choicer - i make that right if we are serious about challenginging at the top  
    You dont think he'd have been ahead of Reeves or Lapslie in terms of Midfield options that year?

Reeves who played nearly 30-games for us in 2018/19 - Cullen alone was out of action for about two months, but could even question if we'd have signed Josh, if JFC hadnt picked up the ACL prior to the season starting
    wouldn't have mattered - none of those 3 would be mainstays in a League 1 promotion winning team 
  • shirty5 said:
    Top heavy in centre midfield, gets the wage bill reduced and a fee to boot as well. 
    No chance we get a fee!