Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Has there even ever been a case where a club has suddenly changed, upping its valuation of a player because owner/CEO/Manager had said they want xyz? or the other belief that getting a big cash windfall puts the prices up?

Clubs value a player, agents know it and tout it, player power etc. is a selling club suddenly going to get all billy big bollocks  or pound sign agents going to risk it all?

Didnt Bolton feck up with the Cahill transfer rejected like 10mil from Chelsea in the summer to end up selling him for 7 in the Jan?
    Yes, it happens often. 
  • I can only think that all the people clamoring for a "Washington replacement" and saying we desperately need a striker because look what happened last year, just don't understand formations.

We do need a goal scoring wide forward, yes.

I despise some of our fanbase, especially on Twitter. Entitled, miserable and intolerable.
    Those people on Twitter May have accounts on here as well
  • edited July 2022
    shirty5 said:
    I can only think that all the people clamoring for a "Washington replacement" and saying we desperately need a striker because look what happened last year, just don't understand formations.

I despise some of our fanbase, especially on Twitter. Entitled, miserable and intolerable.
    Probably. 1 of the most vociferous nonsensical whiners on Twitter has had his account on here deactivated I noticed.
  • edited July 2022
    shirty5 said:
    I can only think that all the people clamoring for a "Washington replacement" and saying we desperately need a striker because look what happened last year, just don't understand formations.

Probably. 1 of the most vociferous nonsensical whiners on Twitter has had his account on here deactivated I noticed.
    So one less then. What about the others then? Or are you saying everyone is miserable on here and on twitter? 
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

So one less then. What about the others then? Or are you saying everyone is miserable on here and on twitter? 
    About 20% on here and about 65% on Twitter if we're making a science of it.
  • masicat said:
    I remember Malcolm Alison at Man City wanted to sign Steve McKenzie from Palace. He offered 50k and Palace rejected it and decided to hold out for 100k. Malcolm Alison then came back with a revised offer of 250k. He went on to play 100 games for Charlton as well. 
    One of my top 5 Charlton players is ol’ Steve McKenzie 
  • shirty5 said:

I saw what you did there…..Twitter “May”
  • Smithy said:
    A reminder that TS made very similar comments last summer, saying that we didn’t need another striker because Davison was good enough. He was being serious - we didn’t sign a striker.

Sincerely hope it’s all just mind games as we desperately need another striker, but I wouldn’t be massively surprised if we get no one. 
    Don’t think TS makes that decision about Davison .. Garner would have spoken to SG and between them would decide if they want to go with Davison or not .. People forget that Davison was a big part of swindon success last year and Garner might just like him … and it’s Garner that’s told TS to hold off buying another striker at present ..l
  • Sponsored links:

• Smithy said:
    A reminder that TS made very similar comments last summer, saying that we didn’t need another striker because Davison was good enough. He was being serious - we didn’t sign a striker.

Sincerely hope it’s all just mind games as we desperately need another striker, but I wouldn’t be massively surprised if we get no one. 
    Don’t think TS makes that decision about Davison .. Garner would have spoken to SG and between them would decide if they want to go with Davison or not .. People forget that Davison was a big part of swindon success last year and Garner might just like him … and it’s Garner that’s told TS to hold off buying another striker at present ..l
    You do talk some bollocks, manager telling owner not to buy players....lol
  • sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    Gonna to be fun reading the responses to this
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One hasn't played a league game in his life
    One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    One has a history of not being able to play 90 mins
    One had a back injury last season & only played 30 odd games.
    People won't be happy until we have 5 first team level strikers better than what we currently have to compete for one spot. If you're playing one up front you need one striker. You need a backup for that striker for injuries or poor form. You then need another striker so that you still have a bit of depth of the bench to cover those injuries and losses of form. After that it's good to have another backup, which will always be a youth player because no-one is coming in to be 4th choice in a one striker team. Stockley is a good first choice. Aneke is the best sub you can have at this level. He'll get injured, which is why we should upgrade on Davison, but we should not pay well above the odds for a third choice. After that of course Leaburn is our fourth choice, it doesn't matter that he hasn't played a league game, he has to start somewhere and we need a pathway for young players. Sandgaard is in no rush because we're looking for the best possible backup striker and we're not going to spaff huge amounts of the budget on bringing in a player who we don't actually need every week.    
    But we need better than Stockley to lead the line. He's too one dimensional, our first choice striker needs to be better on the floor and with his feet than Jayden is now
    I think you’re doing Stockley an injustice there…..he’s pretty good with link up play and with the ball on the floor, better than the majority of ‘up top’ League 1 strikers I’d say.
    Stockley is dreadful with the ball on the floor. 
  • I can only think that all the people clamoring for a "Washington replacement" and saying we desperately need a striker because look what happened last year, just don't understand formations.

Understanding formations has nothing to do with knowing we're lacking depth up top. We need someone of first team quality for when one of Stockely and Aneke inevitably get injured 
  • Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    People won't be happy until we have 5 first team level strikers better than what we currently have to compete for one spot. If you're playing one up front you need one striker. You need a backup for that striker for injuries or poor form. You then need another striker so that you still have a bit of depth of the bench to cover those injuries and losses of form. After that it's good to have another backup, which will always be a youth player because no-one is coming in to be 4th choice in a one striker team. Stockley is a good first choice. Aneke is the best sub you can have at this level. He'll get injured, which is why we should upgrade on Davison, but we should not pay well above the odds for a third choice. After that of course Leaburn is our fourth choice, it doesn't matter that he hasn't played a league game, he has to start somewhere and we need a pathway for young players. Sandgaard is in no rush because we're looking for the best possible backup striker and we're not going to spaff huge amounts of the budget on bringing in a player who we don't actually need every week.    
    But we need better than Stockley to lead the line. He's too one dimensional, our first choice striker needs to be better on the floor and with his feet than Jayden is now
    I think you’re doing Stockley an injustice there…..he’s pretty good with link up play and with the ball on the floor, better than the majority of ‘up top’ League 1 strikers I’d say.
    Nothing like a bit of exaggeration to try and win an argument.
  • Croydon said:

Understanding formations has nothing to do with knowing we're lacking depth up top. We need someone of first team quality for when one of Stockely and Aneke inevitably get injured 
    Its not even a case of Chucks getting injured, he simply cannot put a run together of playing 90 minute games.
  • Croydon said:

Aside from last season's injury, does Stockley have a bad injury history? I thought not.

What level of striker do you realistically expect to bring in to play as 3rd choice for 1 spot in the team?
  • Croydon said:

Aside from last season's injury, does Stockley have a bad injury history? I thought not.

What level of striker do you realistically expect to bring in to play as 3rd choice for 1 spot in the team?
    3rd choice?  The way I see it with the tactical options now available with 5 subs, Chucks will inevitably be our last 30min impact sub so we need someone at least of Stockley’s level, preferably better, to cater for the predictable  injury/suspension.  I really hope Miles can become a legend but he’s not ready now and probably not even ready by next April.  I would hate for us to set back his career by a couple of years by overplaying him.  Those comments by TS have moved me from mildly concerned to worried as far as striking options 
  • Smithy said:

Well Garner already scrapped one deal that was lined up 
  • edited July 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Smithy said:

Well Garner already scrapped one deal that was lined up 
    If you can't see the difference I suggest either a visit to specsavers, troll school, another forum or under the rock you crawled out from.  No don't your be else where either basking in your glory of getting a rise or crying bullying.  Your not even consistent on that, are you? 
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

On Saturday he tripped over a tap-in from three yards out
    I saw Jimmy Greaves do that as well.
    You mean the bloke that scored on his debut for Spurs, West Ham, England, Juventus and every other team he ever played for. 

Jesus. 
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

You mean the bloke that scored on his debut for Spurs, West Ham, England, Juventus and every other team he ever played for. 

Jesus. 
    No, not Jesus. He was talking about Jimmy Greaves.
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

Jesus. 
    Christ didn't realise he played for the old lady as well...... Scoring on your debut for teams you didn't play for is really something else. 
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

Jesus. 
    Think it was his debut goal for Juve that was particularly amazing.
  • The Colchester right back in the second half Junior Tchamadeu looks a prospect. Only 18 and looked like he had better than league 2 potential tonight.
  • edited July 2022
    Croydon said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:

I wouldn’t say he’s dreadful, but he’s no Keith Weller or Derek Possee. 
  • No panic about Dobson yet?
  • Ben Garner says that Mandela Egbo has suffered a “significant knee injury” and is set to miss the start of the season. Says he’ll be out for weeks rather than months.