Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    Pigott for me, if Ipswich are letting him go. He's got the technical ability to be a different option to Jayden. I like Stockton but there are too many ifs.

Seems like it's a bad year for strikers, can't think of too many good ones who will be available.
    I know Piggott personally and trust me he ain't coming to Charlton. 
    I really wanted us to be 100% big immobile lumps up front ; shame 
    You've always got the best takes on strikers ;)
    Thanks .  Was it magennis we differed on?
    It was '1 goal Chuks'
    That was an accurate description ;-).  I see the merit in Chuks as a sub if he’s fit but I wouldn’t have re-signed him
  • What's going on with Kanu? Has he played yet or is he injured?
  • edited July 2022
    Airman did warn us that TS appears to be doing this season on the cheap. I don’t want to believe it but it’s looking that way. TS has splashed out the last couple of seasons but our form has got worse. Roland is still our problem, because we don’t own our assets we are only going to attract crooks or owners like TS, great intentions but not very shrewd when it comes to football. If he was shrewd then he wouldn’t have bought us. I hope it’s just a statement to cool of the agents.
    I don't recall Airman saying TS appears to be doing this season on the cheap, but I'm not disputing it if you say he did. However, as I've mentioned several times before, the compensation payments he's made are evidence of him spending where needed.

I think his comments regarding Miles are quite shrewd, serving as a boost to the lads confidence, instilling belief that he has breakthrough potential, whilst also cooling off agents, or so I hope, as do you.

I'm not saying TS has suddenly become a master of deceit, but I doubt he's playing this one with a particularly straight bat and wouldn't be surprised if a new striker is still a prime target, even if a fee is involved 
  • We will sign a striker, no idea when but we'll get one before the window shuts.

all depends who/when become available
    I'd be surprised if they're not a U21 loan signing from the Premier League.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    Pigott for me, if Ipswich are letting him go. He's got the technical ability to be a different option to Jayden. I like Stockton but there are too many ifs.

Seems like it's a bad year for strikers, can't think of too many good ones who will be available.
    I know Piggott personally and trust me he ain't coming to Charlton. 
    I really wanted us to be 100% big immobile lumps up front ; shame 
    You've always got the best takes on strikers ;)
    Thanks .  Was it magennis we differed on?
    It was '1 goal Chuks'
    That was an accurate description ;-).  I see the merit in Chuks as a sub if he’s fit but I wouldn’t have re-signed him

Chuks will be the bargain buy if he can play a part in 36 or so matches like two seasons ago. Playing Chuks for 95 minutes in his first game back last season wasn't a great idea. 
    With the right support and service Aneke would score about 24 goals in those 36 matches he was involved in. I would try to play him 30 to 45 minutes every match and with luck he wouldn't miss many games. Not ideal to have a player who isn't confident in his own body but he could rip League 1 apart.
  • What's going on with Kanu? Has he played yet or is he injured?
    Playing and scoring for the 23s. He’s only 17 so still young and probably not physically ready to be playing men’s football yet. Imagine will see him at some point in the season, just not yet.
    He has only recently moved up to the under 23’s and personally I don’t expect to see him in the first team squad this season.

TS said there was no urgency in signing a striker, not that he would not be signing one. Saying what he did about Leaburn would be encouraging to him personally and to the rest of the youth players and if we are going to keep getting players to sign there has to be the hope of playing 1st team football here or they may as well go and play u23 football at Chelsea etc and earn more money.
  • paulfox said:
    seth plum said:
    It is unlikely, but personally I would love it if Davison scored 12 or 15 goals for us next season.
    I base that on him being a good lad and a real trier, and some of the criticism has been harsh.
    I think we’d all love to see him succeed, he does try hard and comes across quite popular, however those attributes don’t make you score lots. Judging on what we’ve seen he isn’t good enough to get us promoted, the same applies for Morgan, and now possibly Gilbey whom I thought had something about him but has disappointed. With  The forwards we have a lot needs to improve individually, chuks needs to be more consistent and be more available, Stockley needs to improve his all round game, not sure either are able to achieve those things, which is my reasoning for needing probably two more forwards.
    Hard to disagree with any of this.
    I suppose I am hoping Davison luckily wins some kind of low level strikers lottery.
    I doubt it will happen, there is a thought though when some say Stockton and May, and McKirdy are one season wonders and hadn’t done much before, well maybe Josh is in the not doing much stage before being a one season wonder😉
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    Doesn't learn does he? Stockley is very one dimensional, Aneke is always injured or can only play 30 mins at a time, Davison struggled to score regularly in the league below this one, and Leaburn is 18 years old and completely unproven.

I'm not sure how effective "Garner-ball" is going to be with a squad full of non-scoring midfielders and that 4 up front, time will tell but I have my doubts
    Oh come on, Leaburn grabbed two sensational goals against trialists at National League South Dartford on Saturday. Sandgaard knows what he's talking about.
  • How much did we pay for Fraser, just out of interest? 
  • Redrobo said:
    What's going on with Kanu? Has he played yet or is he injured?
    Playing and scoring for the 23s. He’s only 17 so still young and probably not physically ready to be playing men’s football yet. Imagine will see him at some point in the season, just not yet.
    He has only recently moved up to the under 23’s and personally I don’t expect to see him in the first team squad this season.

TS said there was no urgency in signing a striker, not that he would not be signing one. Saying what he did about Leaburn would be encouraging to him personally and to the rest of the youth players and if we are going to keep getting players to sign there has to be the hope of playing 1st team football here or they may as well go and play u23 football at Chelsea etc and earn more money.
    Should probably have clarified my comment. I expect we will see Kanu in the cup competition at some point this season. Imagine he will be a part of the Papa Johns squad in the group games.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    There's no chance Jack Payne would be playing in what was basically a Crawley Trialists side at Isthmian League East Grinstead last night. 
    Isn't there "another" Jack Payne who signed for Crawley. I thought somebody mentioned it on here a week or two ago ?
  • mendonca said:
    How much did we pay for Fraser, just out of interest? 
    It was undisclosed, but reckon high six figures - Reckon Ipswich managed to either get back what they paid, or they managed to sell him on for a little bit more than what they paid... Hence that could be one of their tactics in the market, given their owners.
  • edited July 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    There's no chance Jack Payne would be playing in what was basically a Crawley Trialists side at Isthmian League East Grinstead last night. 
    Isn't there "another" Jack Payne who signed for Crawley. I thought somebody mentioned it on here a week or two ago ?

Jack Payne

Footballer
    Jack Payne
    Jack Stephen Payne is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for EFL League Two club Crawley Town, signed June 2021

• swordfish said:
    Airman did warn us that TS appears to be doing this season on the cheap. I don’t want to believe it but it’s looking that way. TS has splashed out the last couple of seasons but our form has got worse. Roland is still our problem, because we don’t own our assets we are only going to attract crooks or owners like TS, great intentions but not very shrewd when it comes to football. If he was shrewd then he wouldn’t have bought us. I hope it’s just a statement to cool of the agents.
    I don't recall Airman saying TS appears to be doing this season on the cheap, but I'm not disputing it if you say he did. However, as I've mentioned several times before, the compensation payments he's made are evidence of him spending where needed.

I think his comments regarding Miles are quite shrewd, serving as a boost to the lads confidence, instilling belief that he has breakthrough potential, whilst also cooling off agents, or so I hope, as do you.

I'm not saying TS has suddenly become a master of deceit, but I doubt he's playing this one with a particularly straight bat and wouldn't be surprised if a new striker is still a prime target, even if a fee is involved 
    Re Miles is exactly how I see it, but would add that Garner, as he likes working with younger players, may have told TS that he sees him potentially breaking through and wants him around the 1st team squad. Also TS has not said we won't be signing another striker but that it is not an immediate priority. I hope this means that other positions will be filled first eg a winger and another LB. Re another striker I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in towards the end of the window, possibly on loan.
  • Clarky said:
    swordfish said:

Re Miles is exactly how I see it, but would add that Garner, as he likes working with younger players, may have told TS that he sees him potentially breaking through and wants him around the 1st team squad. Also TS has not said we won't be signing another striker but that it is not an immediate priority. I hope this means that other positions will be filled first eg a winger and another LB. Re another striker I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in towards the end of the window, possibly on loan.
    I would be ok with that. I think what we have is ok to start the season with as long as Stockley and Aneke are fit. But we need more to get us through the season if we are going to challenge, but that doesn't need to happen today. The problem is, until it does happen, some may worry that it won't. I can understand that and we just have to watch and hope really.
  • edited July 2022
    mendonca said:
    How much did we pay for Fraser, just out of interest? 
    It was undisclosed, but reckon high six figures - Reckon Ipswich managed to either get back what they paid, or they managed to sell him on for a little bit more than what they paid... Hence that could be one of their tactics in the market, given their owners.
    Is that guesswork on the questionable  assumption their owners are more business savvy than TS? I'd be interested to know how much they spent in total last year, including on Cook's compo, given where they eventually finished up. If they were big spenders, it didn't work, no doubt about it.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Fans: Play the youngsters, they're one of our own and we want them in the team!!!

TS: We will try and play some our youngsters and put them in the match day teams and squads.

Fans: You cheapskate! You can't rely on youngsters to play any games, they are too young and not ready!
    TS ; OK let's have a whip round and by the next Ronnie Moore .
    Buy ! 
    Bye.
    Bi. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it time to be furious yet?
    Yeah, let's do it!
    Anything in particular, or just a sort of unprovoked rage?
  • We are only going to play one up top .. and we already have three players that can play that role where we should be looking is goals from the wide players and perhaps need to invest in that position … or could Leaburn and others be the answer it’s worth giving them a couple of games to see 
  • seth plum said:
    paulfox said:
    seth plum said:
    It is unlikely, but personally I would love it if Davison scored 12 or 15 goals for us next season.
    I base that on him being a good lad and a real trier, and some of the criticism has been harsh.
    I think we’d all love to see him succeed, he does try hard and comes across quite popular, however those attributes don’t make you score lots. Judging on what we’ve seen he isn’t good enough to get us promoted, the same applies for Morgan, and now possibly Gilbey whom I thought had something about him but has disappointed. With  The forwards we have a lot needs to improve individually, chuks needs to be more consistent and be more available, Stockley needs to improve his all round game, not sure either are able to achieve those things, which is my reasoning for needing probably two more forwards.
    Hard to disagree with any of this.
    I suppose I am hoping Davison luckily wins some kind of low level strikers lottery.
    I doubt it will happen, there is a thought though when some say Stockton and May, and McKirdy are one season wonders and hadn’t done much before, well maybe Josh is in the not doing much stage before being a one season wonder😉
    Good shout. Imagine if Joshs' one wonder-season came with us! 
  • We are only going to play one up top .. and we already have three players that can play that role where we should be looking is goals from the wide players and perhaps need to invest in that position … or could Leaburn and others be the answer it’s worth giving them a couple of games to see 
    Sorry but.
    If Stockley gets injured we are in trouble. 
    Aneke is only going to be used as an impact sub. 
    Davison ain't good enough. 
    Leaburn and Kanu although they have great promise are not yet ready. 
    We definitely need to sign another experienced striker. 
    Stcokley and Aneke are also prone to the odd red card and multipal yellow, suspensions will effect us too. 
    Sorry but.
    If Stockley gets injured we are in trouble. 
    Aneke is only going to be used as an impact sub. 
    Davison ain't good enough. 
    Leaburn and Kanu although they have great promise are not yet ready. 
    We definitely need to sign another experienced striker. 
    Do you honestly believe that come the end of the transfer window the forward line will be the same as it is now?
  • Scoham said:
    Gonna to be fun reading the responses to this
    Deluded if anyone thinks that those 4 would be good enough to get us into the top 6.

One hasn't played a league game in his life
    One we loaned out to a lower league club & although did ok hardly set the house on fire
    One has a history of not being able to play 90 mins
    One had a back injury last season & only played 30 odd games.
    People won't be happy until we have 5 first team level strikers better than what we currently have to compete for one spot. If you're playing one up front you need one striker. You need a backup for that striker for injuries or poor form. You then need another striker so that you still have a bit of depth of the bench to cover those injuries and losses of form. After that it's good to have another backup, which will always be a youth player because no-one is coming in to be 4th choice in a one striker team. Stockley is a good first choice. Aneke is the best sub you can have at this level. He'll get injured, which is why we should upgrade on Davison, but we should not pay well above the odds for a third choice. After that of course Leaburn is our fourth choice, it doesn't matter that he hasn't played a league game, he has to start somewhere and we need a pathway for young players. Sandgaard is in no rush because we're looking for the best possible backup striker and we're not going to spaff huge amounts of the budget on bringing in a player who we don't actually need every week.    
    But we need better than Stockley to lead the line. He's too one dimensional, our first choice striker needs to be better on the floor and with his feet than Jayden is now