Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Althought I dont rate him that much & not bothered if he stays or goes but he needs to stay & fight for his place. We stood by him last season, gave him a new contract when he was injured & out for most of the season. Now it's his turn to show some loyalty. 

Wibble.
    He did sign a new contract. That is a show of loyalty. He didn't just bugger off.

He had no choice. We exercised the one year option we had, so he had to sign. I said at that time he was not happy about that and wanted to leave. This situation reinforces that. He has wanted out for a while.
    Hmmm. He didn't want out last summer when he was injured & his contract was up. If he wanted to leave he could have left then. On a free. I wonder why he didn't..........
    He was likely going to Birmingham on a free before the injury. We signed him while injured as a duty of care and fairness for someone who was POTY and never stopped trying till the end, even to his eventual detriment.

That was a nice touch from the club, nothing to be criticized. Personally I'd prefer to keep him over Gilbey/Morgan, but if the club and the player feel him leaving is in both their interests, then fair enough.
  • We (correctly) paid him for a season in which he'd be recovering from a serious injury, so it's entirely correct that we then exercised the option for another year and gave us the chance of a fee for him if he then left
  • Oggy Red said:
    I can only think that all the people clamoring for a "Washington replacement" and saying we desperately need a striker because look what happened last year, just don't understand formations.

We do need a goal scoring wide forward, yes.

We need Harry Gregory
    Sorry
    We need Mallik Wilkes

• supaclive said:
    Leaburn our "new" striker and JFC sold.
    No left back
    Injured right back
    Dobson rested
    UNCONVINCED
    I suppose you’d prefer Dobson Injured?
  • supaclive said:
    No left back
    Injured right back
    Dobson rested
    UNCONVINCED
    Leaburn has been ours for three seasons 

JFC hasn't been sold

We have a left back

Egbo is, indeed, injured

Dobson has some tightness so wasn't risked

Leaburn means we don't need a striker
    JFC will go
    We NEED a proper left back not somebody who can play there
    Dobson indeed.

• Scoham said:
    Pity is that JFC can also play left back, and we don't have too many like that. However I trust Garner's judgement.
    That’s a bit of a myth that has grown after one game at LWB a few years ago. He’s not proven he can perform there consistently, he’s also not the type of player we want in that role. I also doubt he’d be happy with becoming a regular left back.

The biggest complaint against Ben Purrington was his lack of pace so it took him time to get and down the left flank.
    JFC would be even slower so that is a non starter.
    We have Steven Sessegnon who is apparently two Footed 🤞 but haven't played any minutes yet ?

Is it understood in modern football how important the 2 and 3 is ?  Days have gone since the lard arse was last pick and put as full back in the after lunch game at school. 

They are important outlets, attacking and defending as we found out early doors last season when we were moribund with no attacking threats as we had players out of position and the 3 up front were all in isolation. DJ, Stockley and Washington who had to go jink inside on his right about three time before easily being blocked by his defender.
  • Sponsored links:

• Unconvinced we are strong enough to do anything more than mid table.

Unconvinced we have the players to play Garner’s style of football. 
  • supaclive said:
    No left back
    Injured right back
    Dobson rested
    UNCONVINCED
    What’s all the drama about?
  • supaclive said:
    Unconvinced we are strong enough to do anything more than mid table.

I don't think JFC fits Garner's high press high-energy football. It's too early to judge at the moment, the window has been good so far.
  • supaclive said:
    No left back
    Injured right back
    Dobson rested
    UNCONVINCED
    Leaburn being given a chance .. new striker will be coming in … got a left back from Fulham , injuries happen we have Clare , Dobson had a tight muscle no point risking him for 15 mins or do you want him to play and be out for months ?…… very encouraging and good to see goals going in 
  • supaclive said:

We have literally played Garners style of football the first 3 pre season games! 
    I mean - successfully in League 1.
    Time will tell.

• This isn’t new news re JFC. I posted this information ~6 weeks ago in the JFC thread.

Separately, I bumped in to Jake just before preseason. We didn’t talk about Charlton but it’s the fittest I’ve seen him both mentally and physically, so I’d be disappointed to see him go. I really think this could be a good year for him, but ultimately he needs to play so makes sense for all if that isn’t going to happen here.
  • To me Sessegnon is a utility player, rather than an out and out LB. At Plymouth, he played more often on the right than on the left.
  • edited July 2022
    Unless injuries have caught up with him, JFC should be well suited to a high press, high possession game. His biggest strengths are his comfort on the ball, his passing, and his work rate and ground covering. I think he’s very good at this level and has shown in the past he can hold his own at Championship level, albeit the lower end of that division. He’s done it a higher level than any of our other midfielders and is still a good age. I can’t see any logic in letting him leave, personally, unless we’re just not convinced he can fully recover from the injury. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    supaclive said:

I don't think JFC fits Garner's high press high-energy football. It's too early to judge at the moment, the window has been good so far.
    JFC fits that model far better than Gilbey and uses the ball far far better than Albie
    If JFC gets offers he prefers over what he's receiving at CAFC, good luck to him, he'll leave with our respect and gratitude.
    Garner's decisions over who plays against Accrington, Derby, etc have to be made on what he'll have seen in the friendlies and training.  The evidence of 3 friendlies so far is that JFC's name is just after Dobbo's on the team sheet
  • I know which of JFC and Morgan I've seen use the ball better in these friendlies 
  • I will only be able to make my mind up about JFC when it is confirmed whether or not he has had sex in public.
  • IFC wanted to leave us before he for injured.  As soon as he got injured he expected the new contract then spent a year in recovery.

I expect he signed just to give him some security but wants to be the main man which, it seems, wouldn’t be the case here so he’s told his agent to alert clubs 
  • JFC is 28 and has had 2 really bad knee injuries.
    Morgan is 22 and (so far) has had a very good fitness record. I'm struggling to think of too many injury absences
  • I like JFC but our midfield is overloaded with deep playing players. Makes sense to move someone on in order to bring in a replacement who can score goals.
  • To me Sessegnon is a utility player, rather than an out and out LB. At Plymouth, he played more often on the right than on the left.

We can play Clare on the right, who can run with the ball which should be mandatory for professional footballers but surprised how many can't for Charlton. Gilbey is a good runner with the ball, his problem is what to do with the ball when he arrives at his destination ! Steven Sessegnon is needed to play LB so that is where he will have to play as I'm not certain we are going to get a Bona fide LB who is stronger with his Left foot.
  • Leuth said:
    I know which of JFC and Morgan I've seen use the ball better in these friendlies 

For those of us who didn't watch the games but have seen some of the goals who did use the ball better between Jake and Albie?

Don't expect either to be that sharp yet but don't see why Morgan can't strike a ball on target again as he has improved with his fitness and his set pieces.