Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Well, Morgan did shoot with composure, technique and on target. Scored!
    If he can do that consistently it will be a substantial qualitative leap forward.
    I share the doubts about him and probably wouldn't lose sleep if he departs, but in fairness he is still comparatively young and maybe we can make a real player of him yet.
    Ha, good sell. Morgan said himself it was a hit and hope!
    Nobody complained when Rommedahl said similar of his goals.
    I'll kill anybody who says a bad word against Rommedahl.  ;)
    All six of his Charlton goals were masterpieces, it's a shame none of them were at the Valley and maybe he would have momentarily silenced some of his no-nothing detractors.
    gonna have to take on Killer himself then. Met him and we spoke about Rommedahl and he said he just closes his eyes when he hits the ball. whether shooting or crossing. Only attribute is his pace and even that seems to take him by surprise. 
  • edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    If he can do that consistently it will be a substantial qualitative leap forward.
    I share the doubts about him and probably wouldn't lose sleep if he departs, but in fairness he is still comparatively young and maybe we can make a real player of him yet.
    All six of his Charlton goals were masterpieces, it's a shame none of them were at the Valley and maybe he would have momentarily silenced some of his no-nothing detractors.
    gonna have to take on Killer himself then. Met him and we spoke about Rommedahl and he said he just closes his eyes when he hits the ball. whether shooting or crossing. Only attribute is his pace and even that seems to take him by surprise. 
    Add Curbs to the hit list, 'worst signing he ever made' . and pencil me in too, cowardly footballer was Rommedahl.
  • Southbank said:
    swordfish said:
    Just to clarify, I fired off an EFL request for information the other day on squad limits for the season and got the following reply.

"The squad limit for League One Clubs is 22 players, of which 8 must be homegrown. As you suggest for League One Clubs, Under 21’s and Goalkeepers don’t count towards the limit. This is covered under Regulation 43.9 of the EFL Regulations."

Hope that helps those who, like myself, were still unsure.

Will we have 8 home grown players, not including Goalkeepers?

Morgan, Henry, Elerewe and Leaburn are the only 4 near the squad.

Then Kanu, Barker, Clayden, Bakrin?

Seems a bit implausible, or am I missing something?
    Home Grown doesnt mean players that have solely come through your own Academy.

Its those who came through an Academy in England - I imagine the only player who isnt home grown in the squad is Eoghan O'Connell because he started out in Scotland, but even then I'm not sure on the consistency of what is British and what is English in Football, so he may well be too
    Josh Davison, ponytail, doesn't count as home grown for some seriously bizarre reason....

But back on topic

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:
    swordfish said:
    Just to clarify, I fired off an EFL request for information the other day on squad limits for the season and got the following reply.

"The squad limit for League One Clubs is 22 players, of which 8 must be homegrown. As you suggest for League One Clubs, Under 21’s and Goalkeepers don’t count towards the limit. This is covered under Regulation 43.9 of the EFL Regulations."

Its those who came through an Academy in England - I imagine the only player who isnt home grown in the squad is Eoghan O'Connell because he started out in Scotland, but even then I'm not sure on the consistency of what is British and what is English in Football, so he may well be too
    Josh Davison, ponytail, doesn't count as home grown for some seriously bizarre reason....

But back on topic

Understandable... He comes from Enfield after all
  • RedJohn said:
    robroy said:
    swordfish said:
    Jus sign someone today FFS! Anyone, preferably a striker paying way over the odds for him. Mallik Wilks from under Wednesday's noses would get the message across that we don't have a tight meanie owner, as it seems that little else will 😎
    Does not pass the height test! 
    Does the Height Test nonsense not get boring, when its posted on every thread, moan, moan, moan.
    Think you need to get out and unwind mate!
  • edited July 2022
    Bailey said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Add Curbs to the hit list, 'worst signing he ever made' . and pencil me in too, cowardly footballer was Rommedahl.
    Not sure it was can think of plenty he signed that were terrible!.. Rommedahl was just over hyped when he come.. He stats were actually pretty decent, and very good compared to our wingers at the time.
  • swordfish said:

I think you will find the squad size is actually 20 for leagues one and two this season the ruling above was for 20/21 the 22/23 season reduces to 20. But I think near enough all our players meet the homegrown rule, The squad sizes rule was contested at the same time as the salary cap by the PFA but only the latter was agreed upon by the EFL
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:
    swordfish said:

But back on topic

Him and Ronny The Rocket were the only two that didn't count last season.  I really don't know why.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Southbank said:
    swordfish said:

But back on topic

Him and Ronny The Rocket were the only two that didn't count last season.  I really don't know why.
    Wonder if it was more of a typo - Be interesting to see the registrations this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    My initial reaction to that is,  how the fcuk would Killer know.
    But assuming Rommedahl himself "said so", then I can only say he is a remarkably accomplished striker of the ball for somebody who does it blind.
    False modesty maybe.
  • edited July 2022
    Bailey said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    When did he say that?
    My memory is that Curbs was always pretty proud of the fact that he persuaded him to come to little old Charlton in the face of "better" alternatives.
  • edited July 2022
    smurfd said:
    swordfish said:

I think you will find the squad size is actually 20 for leagues one and two this season the ruling above was for 20/21 the 22/23 season reduces to 20. But I think near enough all our players meet the homegrown rule, The squad sizes rule was contested at the same time as the salary cap by the PFA but only the latter was agreed upon by the EFL
    You'd better tell the EFL then as I had this response from them by email today. For the record, it was because I'd seen the information you're referring to that I decided to ask the question in the first place, and I asked if it was 22, 21 or 20 for this season. I've quoted the text from the reply I received.  I hope that's clear now 😎
  • mendonca said:
    Frank Lampard said the same about most of his goals.
    He used hit it hard and on target, and then hope 
  • edited July 2022
    PWADDICK said:

We should be all over this in my opinion 
    It would only take one “marquee” transfer like this to unite the fans behind TS, I must admit I think it would be perfect for us, but happy to trust the process and structure we’ve got going on for now.  
  • edited July 2022
    PWADDICK said:

Agree, I think he would fit into our system really well. Very proven in League 1. I also think it is a shame that we didn't get James Collins if he was heading back to League 1 (signed for Derby) as I think he would have been an excellent central striker in the style that we have played so far in pre season.
  • edited July 2022
    PWADDICK said:

It would only take one “marquee” transfer like this to unite the fans behind TS, I must admit I think it would be perfect for us, but happy to trust the process and structure we’ve got going on for now.  
    That said he’s played for many clubs across Yorkshire and the surrounding areas I can see him ending up at Rotherham.  

EDIT: he’s got one year left on his contract surely he’d warrant a hefty fee?
  • edited July 2022
    But why would Weds be ending thier interest in Wilks? Wages? Fee? Attitude? He's well known for being a pain in the arse and difficult to manage, and I'm surprised he's such a target on here given that he was in and out - but mostly out - of a Hull side that finished 19th in the Championship where he scored 3 goals and got one assist. He's had two very good League One seasons, but whether it's cost or attitude, I don't know if it's necessarily worth us pushing the boat out to take a risk on a player who definitely can't do it up a level. I'm not against him signing but I'm surprised there's such a swell of support for him, especially given what happened the last time we signed a well-known difficult player last seen at Hull. Why are Hull letting him go?
  • edited July 2022
    But why would Weds be ending thier interest in Wilks? Wages? Fee? Attitude? He's well known for being a pain in the arse and difficult to manage, and I'm surprised he's such a target on here given that he was in and out - but mostly out - of a Hull side that finished 19th in the Championship where he scored 3 goals and got one assist. He's had two very good League One seasons, but whether it's cost or attitude, I don't know if it's necessarily worth us pushing the boat out to take a risk on a player who definitely can't do it up a level. I'm not against him signing but I'm surprised there's such a swell of support for him, especially given what happened the last time we signed a well-known difficult player last seen at Hull. Why are Hull letting him go?
    If you look at Hull's current transfer policy, it is seemingly about signing Turkish players and indeed those further abroad that are aligned to the owner. More homegrown players are being sold off or let go, which is why I think that Wilkes is in that category. 

I think we're thinking he would be a good signing because he would fit in the role of wide forward perfectly. He has pace, a good finisher and has proven stats at this level. 

I agree that he hasn't set the world alight in the Championship, but I think bringing in a couple of players with experience of getting out of league one, to compliment those that we have already brought in is a wise decision.

I think he would be a very good signing from a footballing perspective, I agree that I don't want any disruptive influences in the squad though.
  • Sponsored links:

• PWADDICK said:

That said he’s played for many clubs across Yorkshire and the surrounding areas I can see him ending up at Rotherham.  

Rumour had it that Wednesday had agreed a fee of £200k for Wilks - An absolute steal if true, and it worked out.
  • Wilkes would be perfect playing off Stockley as one of the three. Kirk/CBT/DJ the other side. 
  • If Wilkes is available for 500k or less, it would be mad not to jump on it.
  • PWADDICK said:

Rumour had it that Wednesday had agreed a fee of £200k for Wilks - An absolute steal if true, and it worked out.
    Bargain, maybe he demanded a massive salary to drop down a league which would rule us out I guess.

Still the resale value box would be firmly ticked even if he done another season banging goals in league one TS could move him on for profit.  
  • edited July 2022
    Shit Twitter rumour alert 🚨 

• But why would Weds be ending thier interest in Wilks? Wages? Fee? Attitude? He's well known for being a pain in the arse and difficult to manage, and I'm surprised he's such a target on here given that he was in and out - but mostly out - of a Hull side that finished 19th in the Championship where he scored 3 goals and got one assist. He's had two very good League One seasons, but whether it's cost or attitude, I don't know if it's necessarily worth us pushing the boat out to take a risk on a player who definitely can't do it up a level. I'm not against him signing but I'm surprised there's such a swell of support for him, especially given what happened the last time we signed a well-known difficult player last seen at Hull. Why are Hull letting him go?

Our goal is to get out of League 1 and as you say Wilkes is as proven as you can get at this level. I'd say it's worth attempting to get him.
  • edited July 2022
    mart77 said:
    Another shit Twitter rumour alert🚨🚨

I did see that he is with Arsenal in USA with a view to a loan closer to the season starting. 
  • edited July 2022
    Portsmouth and Sheffield Wednesday looking at Kyle Joseph from Swansea.

20 years old, born in Barnet and came through the Wigan academy. Scottish youth international. Would be a loan prospect.

5 goals in 12 starts (6 sub apps) for Wigan 20-21
    4 goals in 13 starts (6 sub apps) for Cheltenham 21-22