Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    I know which of JFC and Morgan I've seen use the ball better in these friendlies 

For those of us who didn't watch the games but have seen some of the goals who did use the ball better between Jake and Albie?

Don't expect either to be that sharp yet but don't see why Morgan can't strike a ball on target again as he has improved with his fitness and his set pieces.

Albie so far. His performance yesterday should push our other midfielders to up their game in the next friendlies to fight for their spot in the first XI
  • Callum Johnson signed for Ross County. Does he still follow us though? 
  • Scoham said:
    Callum Johnson finally has his Charlton connection - he joins Ben Purrington at Ross County.
     Bizarre 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Callum Johnson signed for Ross County. Does he still follow us though? 
    He stopped the day Sessegnon signed. 
  • Purrington and Johnson as their fullbacks, in an alternative universe that could have been our flanks
  • Chunes said:
    Albie is playing some very nice passes. But he has had so many false dawns.
    Still takes bloody awful corners and free kicks.
  • sam3110 said:
    Purrington and Johnson as their fullbacks, in an alternative universe that could have been our flanks
    Luckily in this universe, we do not have a shirt sponsor that sounds like arse
  • Scoham said:
    Pity is that JFC can also play left back, and we don't have too many like that. However I trust Garner's judgement.
    That’s a bit of a myth that has grown after one game at LWB a few years ago. He’s not proven he can perform there consistently, he’s also not the type of player we want in that role. I also doubt he’d be happy with becoming a regular left back.
    It's not a myth so much as it's absolute garbage. He's played three career games there, all out of pure desperation in a season where we had constant injuries and no depth. He did very well against Fulham in a match where he didn't have to worry about much else other than tracking his man. He did fine against a Derby side we murdered, lasted 36 minutes against Bristol City before getting injured and then hasn't played there again since October 2019. He's never played left back. JFC is slow for a midfielder, the idea that he'd be an effective left back in an attacking line up is hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Pity is that JFC can also play left back, and we don't have too many like that. However I trust Garner's judgement.
    That’s a bit of a myth that has grown after one game at LWB a few years ago. He’s not proven he can perform there consistently, he’s also not the type of player we want in that role. I also doubt he’d be happy with becoming a regular left back.
    It's not a myth so much as it's absolute garbage. He's played three career games there, all out of pure desperation in a season where we had constant injuries and no depth. He did very well against Fulham in a match where he didn't have to worry about much else other than tracking his man. He did fine against a Derby side we murdered, lasted 36 minutes against Bristol City before getting injured and then hasn't played there again since October 2019. He's never played left back. JFC is slow for a midfielder, the idea that he'd be an effective left back in an attacking line up is hilarious.
    Is JFC slow?  I mean he is no CBT, he isn't quick but he has never struck me as slow or lacking mobility.  I would say he is no slower than any other of out 1446878 midfielders we have had in the last 2 seasons.  Maybe with the exception of Gilbey? 
  • Chunes said:
    Albie is playing some very nice passes. But he has had so many false dawns.
    Agreed . If Albie Morgan is the answer then we are asking the wrong question. 
    Yes but everyone knows we should judge the quality of a player by one pre season friendly game on here!!, on that bases Albie gets a yes from me!!………actually scratch that bollox does he!!🤣
  • Scoham said:

The biggest complaint against Ben Purrington was his lack of pace so it took him time to get and down the left flank.
    JFC would be even slower so that is a non starter.
    We have Steven Sessegnon who is apparently two Footed 🤞 but haven't played any minutes yet ?

Is it understood in modern football how important the 2 and 3 is ?  Days have gone since the lard arse was last pick and put as full back in the after lunch game at school. 

They are important outlets, attacking and defending as we found out early doors last season when we were moribund with no attacking threats as we had players out of position and the 3 up front were all in isolation. DJ, Stockley and Washington who had to go jink inside on his right about three time before easily being blocked by his defender.
    I don't know if modern football knows if the 2 & 3 are important but in the 60's we did.

Alf Ramsey's wingless team had fullbacks that got forward to great effect so wingbacks is not a new invention.      
  • Far too slow for Garner's style of football .
    Like the guy, but not too bothered if he moves on .
    Stockley and Aneke aren’t Linford Christie .  I wouldn’t be losing JFC- we have no other midfielders that can pass through the lines and he can play wing back
  • I’ve always wanted Morgan to do well, but I can’t see the consistency.  I also think we read too much into friendlies.  The fact that someone has a good or a bad pre-season counts for nothing when the season starts.  

In fact, having seen the starts under Peeters in 14/15 and Bowyer in 19/20, and got quite carried away at the possibility of what might happen, I would say this team really can’t be judged until 15 games in maybe if they are doing well.

We will however, know if it will be another bad season if we have the start like last year.  That would be a disaster.  

As much as I don’t want another season in this league, even with additions (the type I think we’ll end up), I think will land about 9th this season 
  • sam3110 said:
    But surely to play in a team that's tactics will probably revolve around a lot of possession in the final third and moving the ball around to try and create openings, the lone striker needs to be good with his feet. But pointless if half the time you can't rely on passing to one of the guys because his touch and passing will let him down. Aneke is a lot better on the ball than Stockers but can't be relied on to play every week. I genuinely believe for Garner-ball to be a success we need a better striker and a winger that's going to score goals (remember when we had JBG on the right?)
    And some thought he wasn’t good enough!

We are never happy!!
  • I feel a house buying analogy coming soon 
  • lolwray said:
    I feel a house buying analogy coming soon 
    Oh go on , per leeese!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    You want transfers?

• Err, messed up the transfers there!
  • edited July 2022
  • Probably a parrot, but that ex Pompey right-back Callum Johnson that we were allegedly in for has signed for Ross County
  • Scoham said:

The biggest complaint against Ben Purrington was his lack of pace so it took him time to get and down the left flank.
    JFC would be even slower so that is a non starter.
    We have Steven Sessegnon who is apparently two Footed 🤞 but haven't played any minutes yet ?

Is it understood in modern football how important the 2 and 3 is ?  Days have gone since the lard arse was last pick and put as full back in the after lunch game at school. 

They are important outlets, attacking and defending as we found out early doors last season when we were moribund with no attacking threats as we had players out of position and the 3 up front were all in isolation. DJ, Stockley and Washington who had to go jink inside on his right about three time before easily being blocked by his defender.
    I don't know if modern football knows if the 2 & 3 are important but in the 60's we did.

Alf Ramsey's wingless team had fullbacks that got forward to great effect so wingbacks is not a new invention.      

Agree the 3 wingers on the 66 squad were discarded but you are the first person I have ever heard that called Cohen and Wilson wing backs !

• Anyway, back to transfer rumours, am looking forward to seeing who the 4 loans will be, 
  • edited July 2022
    Probably a parrot, but that ex Pompey right-back Callum Johnson that we were allegedly in for has signed for Ross County
    What is deal with Ross County? Feel like we have an abnormal amount of links with them, Ben Purrington, Regan Charles-Cook, Ashley Maynard-Brewer and now this cyber stalker. Weird...