Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    as decent as the window has been so far….we need another striker.  No doubt in my mind we need someone who can sniff out chances and poach.
    If we are going to play 433 it's asking a lot for someone who can play on their own and be a poacher.

What we really need is someone like Wilkes who can play wide and score 20 goals.  That's the player that will make or break us IMO.

An alternative/upgrade/replacement for Stockley would be icing on the cake.
    Agreed. IF we are playing 433 as our main system, then that's the main question mark over our attacking 3. Stockley and Aneke are the central options, but we need the 2 players either side of them to be goal threats, not just wingers who stick the ball in. You'd hope the attacking full backs would provide the width. 

• I still think our XI and squad is better than this time last year, and last year was better than the year before that.  If we include Leaburn and Clayden we have 23 players to choose from come July 30th.  
  • Sage said:
    Harvey Vale, excellent cultured young player. Believe it was Mount who was recently asked about who is the next academy player to come through and he is excited about, the answer was Vale.

Vale and Hall are two who I would love for us to get in on loan from Chelsea.

I also agree about Wilkes, that is certainly the type of player we are missing alongside another striker to compete with Stockley and Aneke. Surprised his move to Wednesday fell through. Although, I also cannot see him leaving Yorkshire.

Wilkes Stockley CBT as a front 3 would be very dangerous. Then Aneke to power through for the last 20-30 minutes.

I'll do the typical supporter thing now and say an outfield team of:

Egbo - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    McGrandles - Dobson - Fraser
    Wilkes - Stockley - CBT

Would be strong for League One. That is without Forster-Caskey as well, who I think is going to have an excellent season.
    Unfortunately, we have to replace wilkes with DJ.  That reduces the goals scored column by 15!  I get your point though, we need a Karlan grant type player who is quick and can play anywhere along the front line.
  • edited July 2022
    I get the feeling Jake is going to be a squad player this year rather than first choice
  • Sage said:
    Harvey Vale, excellent cultured young player. Believe it was Mount who was recently asked about who is the next academy player to come through and he is excited about, the answer was Vale.

I also agree about Wilkes, that is certainly the type of player we are missing alongside another striker to compete with Stockley and Aneke. Surprised his move to Wednesday fell through. Although, I also cannot see him leaving Yorkshire.

Wilkes Stockley CBT as a front 3 would be very dangerous. Then Aneke to power through for the last 20-30 minutes.

Wilkes - Stockley - CBT

Would be strong for League One. That is without Forster-Caskey as well, who I think is going to have an excellent season.
    Like your team Sage.

As a pedant can’t help mentioning 4 of the side are currently injured ( Egbo, McGrandles, CBT, )or not fit enough to play - Sessegnon.

• Who is Wilkes? 
    A Sheffield wednesday player, a new signing that does well at l1 level but doesn't step up in the championship. Played for most Yorkshire teams that have played in league 1 over the last 5 years
  • Sponsored links:

• We heard similar last season about how the best deals always come at the end of the window, on deadline day. This isnt any different. 

People who think hes the messiah will say its clear evidence of great ownership. 
    People who think hes a naughty boy will say its clear evidence of being skint.

The normal people will accept it for what it is, his transfer policy on paid transfer fees in not wanting to overpay and deal with pushy, greedy agents, theres pros and cons to the poker approach.  

And tbf, after spending (taking into account the rumoured top end of fees paid and loan fees) 2.5 - 3 mil accross the last two windows combined, to then watch a seasons worth of dog shite football and finish 13th... I wouldnt be rushing to get my cheque book out either. We did a lot of squad building then, JFC, Fraser and Kirk, are, cliche, like new signings spend on a half decent goal scoring forward either perm or loan fee and with a bit of Garnerball thats already leaps and bounds from the start of last season. 
  • A lot of good players don't want to move down south. I think we need to consider moving the club up north
  • Chunes said:
    A lot of good players don't want to move down south. I think we need to consider moving the club up north
    Move to Highbury, and drop the Charlton bit of our name. Perhaps we could get the local tube station renamed "Athletic"  ;)
  • Barnsley will play with wing backs so not surprised he’s ended up there. Not sure how good he would have been defensively as a left back in a back 4 for us but didn’t think he’d want to come here unless we were continuing with 3-5-2 
  • DOUCHER said:
    not up to date on here atm so don't know if already mentioned but Aribo to Southampton will see a windfall for us   
    Surely Aribo was out of contract when he left, so how does that work?
  • DOUCHER said:
    not up to date on here atm so don't know if already mentioned but Aribo to Southampton will see a windfall for us   
    Will it?

I just presumed that once he left us for free, that was that.

Great news if true.
  • Sage said:

Wilkes - Stockley - CBT

Is Vale what we need, when we already have a lot of midfielders though?

A 2022 Dasilva or Maatsen would be nice
  • T_C_E said:
    DOUCHER said:
    We got a bit of compensation due to his age, and that's it surely? We didn't sell him to Rangers.
  • Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    DOUCHER said:
    We got a bit of compensation due to his age, and that's it surely? We didn't sell him to Rangers.
    He wasn’t our youth product though was he?, I’m not sure we are entitled to anything.did he not just move on out of contract?.I may be wrong.
  • I thought we got sod all compensation because he moved outside of England? Only to Scotland I know, but still. I don’t think we are entitled to anything whatsoever 
  • Dizzle said:
    I thought we got sod all compensation because he moved outside of England? Only to Scotland I know, but still. I don’t think we are entitled to anything whatsoever 
    We got 300,000 at the time of the deal and are not entitled to a penny more 
  • T_C_E said:
    DOUCHER said:
    don't know the details but its what i've been told - a deal can be structured any way you want i guess and maybe aribo wanted to 'give a bit back' ?
  • shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:
    I thought we got sod all compensation because he moved outside of England? Only to Scotland I know, but still. I don’t think we are entitled to anything whatsoever 
    That settles that then.👍
  • DOUCHER said:
    T_C_E said:
    DOUCHER said:
    don't know the details but its what i've been told - a deal can be structured any way you want i guess and maybe aribo wanted to 'give a bit back' ?
    He was out of contract, we have no say in how "the deal" was structured, as it's compensation pay and that's it. Doesn't matter what Aribo wanted to "give back" (if he wanted to give back that much a move to somewhere else in England would have been a lot more beneficial)
  • shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:
    Not strictly true, we get a piddly amount of money due to the fifa solidarity scheme, literally will be less than 100k.
  • shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:
    Not strictly true, we get a piddly amount of money due to the fifa solidarity scheme, literally will be less than 100k.
    Got a link then to prove that I’m incorrect? Reported at the time to be the figure I have already stated by many different sources. 

Either way we are not getting a buck more 
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:
    Got a link then to prove that I’m incorrect? Reported at the time to be the figure I have already stated by many different sources. 

Either way we are not getting a buck more 
    "The calculation of solidarity payments is slightly simpler than the calculation of training compensation. As a starting point, five percent of the transfer fee will be deducted, and divided between the clubs that trained the player between his 12th and 23rd birthday"

https://www.easportslaw.com/news/training-compensation-and-solidarity-mechanism#:~:text=The calculation of solidarity payments,his 12th and 23rd birthday
  • sam3110 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    T_C_E said:
    DOUCHER said:
    He was out of contract, we have no say in how "the deal" was structured, as it's compensation pay and that's it. Doesn't matter what Aribo wanted to "give back" (if he wanted to give back that much a move to somewhere else in England would have been a lot more beneficial)
    I agree, you would assume we have no sell on but the info has come from a very well connected at the club ex local sports journalist so i can do no more than pass that on - and of course, any deal can be structured in any way you want and unless anybody on here has actually seen the paperwork then i would suggest they are making assumptions