Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    I know we're ahead. I'm very positive about our transfer business. But I don't think we yet have a squad capable of challenging for the top 2. 
    The clubs who will finish in the top 2 possibly don’t yet have squads that can challenge for the top 2 either.
    Ipswich, Peterborough, Barnsley and Wednesday all looking strong at this point. And I still like Bolton's squad, personally.
    They are the team to beat, as it stands IMO.
    Agreed, something to note, they have built this team over the last 3 windows, adding quality in every one. Did ok last season, but they'll be top 6 next season. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    I know we're ahead. I'm very positive about our transfer business. But I don't think we yet have a squad capable of challenging for the top 2. 
    The clubs who will finish in the top 2 possibly don’t yet have squads that can challenge for the top 2 either.
    Ipswich, Peterborough, Barnsley and Wednesday all looking strong at this point. And I still like Bolton's squad, personally.
    Agreed, something to note, they have built this team over the last 3 windows, adding quality in every one. Did ok last season, but they'll be top 6 next season. 
    I thought it was strange that they released their captain, and one of their star players, after the window closed last season.  But it actually made them better.  Its a funny old game, sometimes.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    I thought it was strange that they released their captain, and one of their star players, after the window closed last season.  But it actually made them better.  Its a funny old game, sometimes.
    Recruitment strategy seems spot on, bit like Peterborough's. Picking up strong talent from the lower leagues.
  • With the height we now have in our squad,we need to ensure that when we get set pieces we have someone capable of accuracy,none of this near post stuff,or popping the ball tamely into the keepers hands.Old fashioned corners aimed for near the penalty spot will bring rewards.
  • With the height we now have in our squad,we need to ensure that when we get set pieces we have someone capable of accuracy,none of this near post stuff,or popping the ball tamely into the keepers hands.Old fashioned corners aimed for near the penalty spot will bring rewards.
    When you and I played together, Ray, you couldn't reach the penalty area with your corners 🤣🤣🤣
  • MrBurns said:
    Not a rumour but someone I'd like us to look at is Kabongo at Chesterfield
    Speaking for myself, I’d prefer going after Chesterfield at Kabongo.
  • Interesting piece that shows that TS knows the score with his comments about 'free' signings and their often deluded agents:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/10/free-agents-losing-battle-guarantee-riches-old/

This means that many clubs won't be getting certain players until deadline day - I can see why.

• Interesting piece that shows that TS knows the score with his comments about 'free' signings and their often deluded agents:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/10/free-agents-losing-battle-guarantee-riches-old/

This means that many clubs won't be getting certain players until deadline day - I can see why.

That article is behind a paywall.
  • Dundee Utd fans don’t seem happy in the comments. Very highly rated by the fans up there.

Would be an interesting target if true… good no nonsense defender but not exactly a ball player. Not a left footer either. Where does he fit?

Or is it all agent talk? He does need a new deal next summer…
    Ryan Edwards and Sam Lavelle were youngsters at Blackburn and may even have played together at Morecombe. 
  • Sponsored links:

That article is behind a paywall.
    https://archive.ph/wQga6
    Thanks, Balham!
  • edited July 2022
    cabbles said:
    The team that got promoted under Bowyer still needed work after the season started and before the deadline, so I have no issue with nothing happening in the next 2 weeks, as long as we don’t end up with the Leko, Lee & Arter type scenario.  I am quietly confident this won’t happen so fingers crossed we will have a decent squad/first XI by the end of the window.

the only thing I would caution is that we do need a real bit of quality to come in still.  I don’t look at that team and think, we just need a few for cover, I look at it and think, we need better, so the likes of DJ for example is cover 
    Yann signed after the season started too, and was the final piece of the jigsaw that gave that team the extra it needed. As long as we have a team good enough to pick up points and keep us in touch at the top then a bit of business a few weeks into the season is fine, especially if waiting that bit longer gets you real quality like Yann or Bielik, for example. 

The problem last season was that the squad was full of holes when the season started. This year’s still needs additions but we can, for example, put a full squad of senior pros and still have a few experienced players left out completely. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Good interview on Radio London. TS addresses the Brian J sacking and transfers. Doesn’t expect any new signings in next two weeks. Will be busy as the deadline approaches. 
    Anyone have the link?
  • Valley11 said:
    Good interview on Radio London. TS addresses the Brian J sacking and transfers. Doesn’t expect any new signings in next two weeks. Will be busy as the deadline approaches. 
    Anyone have the link?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cf1469 1 hr 17 mins into the show
  • LouisMend said:
    Valley11 said:
    Anyone have the link?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cf1469 1 hr 17 mins into the show
    Thanks Louis 
  • swordfish said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Most of the top teams have needed far less rebuilding than us.
    And are not undergoing the same kind of playing style identity metamorphosis.

However, at this point last season Ipswich looked strong, but it didn't happen for them. We're all on the same points and GD at the moment, so I'm remaining optimistic for now.

Ipswich have already had a successful change in management and playing style, and had a far better team at the end of last season than we did. At the moment they're well ahead of us on paper...
  • Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    This squad as it is won't get us top 6.  It'll struggle for top half.

The youngsters we are blooding can't replace seasoned professional in League 1.

My unconvinced kicks in once more!
    Cheers up. Might never happen. Remember last summer when Jacob Roddy was our only left back, the alarmists were convinced that he was going to BE our left back. The guy never played a serious first team game. 

(And to be honest, those "seasoned professionals" you're referring to got us to 13th and are now either retired, playing in Mickey mouse leagues in Cyprus, playing in front of 4,000 every week in the arse end of Scotland, playing in the National League South or just generated without a club.)
    It's not our ex seasoned professionals I'm worried about but those at other clubs!
  • cabbles said:
    The team that got promoted under Bowyer still needed work after the season started and before the deadline, so I have no issue with nothing happening in the next 2 weeks, as long as we don’t end up with the Leko, Lee & Arter type scenario.  I am quietly confident this won’t happen so fingers crossed we will have a decent squad/first XI by the end of the window.

the only thing I would caution is that we do need a real bit of quality to come in still.  I don’t look at that team and think, we just need a few for cover, I look at it and think, we need better, so the likes of DJ for example is cover 
    Yann signed after the season started too, and was the final piece of the jigsaw that gave that team the extra it needed. As long as we have a team good enough to pick up points and keep us in touch at the top then a bit of business a few weeks into the season is fine, especially if waiting that bit longer gets you real quality like Yann or Bielik, for example. 

The problem last season was that the squad was full of holes when the season started. This year’s still needs additions but we can, for example, put a full squad of senior pros and still have a few experienced players left out completely. 
    I know he’s not in the same league as Sir Yann, however Stockley needs a strike partner IMO of the POACHER standard of BWP - debate ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• PeterGage said:
    With the height we now have in our squad,we need to ensure that when we get set pieces we have someone capable of accuracy,none of this near post stuff,or popping the ball tamely into the keepers hands.Old fashioned corners aimed for near the penalty spot will bring rewards.
    When you and I played together, Ray, you couldn't reach the penalty area with your corners 🤣🤣🤣
    I shouldnt think so I played centre half,but you are right I did take the odd one and was not very good at it,hope all is well with you.
  • PeterGage said:
    With the height we now have in our squad,we need to ensure that when we get set pieces we have someone capable of accuracy,none of this near post stuff,or popping the ball tamely into the keepers hands.Old fashioned corners aimed for near the penalty spot will bring rewards.
    In fairness those lace up leather balls weighed a ton when they were wet.
  • swordfish said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Most of the top teams have needed far less rebuilding than us.
    And are not undergoing the same kind of playing style identity metamorphosis.

However, at this point last season Ipswich looked strong, but it didn't happen for them. We're all on the same points and GD at the moment, so I'm remaining optimistic for now.

Ipswich have already had a successful change in management and playing style, and had a far better team at the end of last season than we did. At the moment they're well ahead of us on paper...
    They were being lauded by all as league champions before a ball was kicked last season as well. What’s the old cliche about paper and grass ? Ipswich will I’m sure be right up there and so they should. I think by the time we’re into the season that we’ll hold our own. 
  • I think it is reasonable to feel that the squad is in better shape than last season, certainly than this time last summer. 

I also think it's reasonable to feel that there are still gaps in a squad that need to be plugged if we are to challenge at the top of the table.
    This post is too reasoned!
  • mendonca said:
    I think it is reasonable to feel that the squad is in better shape than last season, certainly than this time last summer. 

I also think it's reasonable to feel that there are still gaps in a squad that need to be plugged if we are to challenge at the top of the table.
    This post is too reasoned!
    Sorry 
  • PeterGage said:
    In fairness those lace up leather balls weighed a ton when they were wet.

Especially when coupled with those bloody great big steel toe capped hob nail boots I bet...😎
  • I think it is reasonable to feel that the squad is in better shape than last season, certainly than this time last summer. 

And the problem is, according to reports on here, TS has said we are unlikely to bring in anyone over the next 2 weeks & most likely signings will be towards the end if the transfer window.

So we could be starting the season with just the strikers we currently have. And like last season when we started with no fit left back we could get off to a stinker. 

As Shirley Bassey once sang......" it's all just history repeating"