Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    sam3110 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    T_C_E said:
    DOUCHER said:
    not up to date on here atm so don't know if already mentioned but Aribo to Southampton will see a windfall for us   
    Surely Aribo was out of contract when he left, so how does that work?
    don't know the details but its what i've been told - a deal can be structured any way you want i guess and maybe aribo wanted to 'give a bit back' ?
    He was out of contract, we have no say in how "the deal" was structured, as it's compensation pay and that's it. Doesn't matter what Aribo wanted to "give back" (if he wanted to give back that much a move to somewhere else in England would have been a lot more beneficial)
    I agree, you would assume we have no sell on but the info has come from a very well connected at the club ex local sports journalist so i can do no more than pass that on - and of course, any deal can be structured in any way you want and unless anybody on here has actually seen the paperwork then i would suggest they are making assumptions  
    Peter Burrowes then 
  • Squad culture will now change with the number of substitutes allowed.
    If a player as decent as JFC starts on the bench, to him, to the manager and to us, he would remain an important part of our enterprise.
    Much less fretting about who to leave out next season.
  • scoop muck and dizzy - couldn't possibly say 
  • Who is Wilkes? 
    A Sheffield wednesday player, a new signing that does well at l1 level but doesn't step up in the championship. Played for most Yorkshire teams that have played in league 1 over the last 5 years
    Wrong, they can't come to an agreement as things stand. 
  • seth plum said:
    Squad culture will now change with the number of substitutes allowed.
    If a player as decent as JFC starts on the bench, to him, to the manager and to us, he would remain an important part of our enterprise.
    yeah, I think we'll see the Eddie Jones thing, of having a group of 'finishers' on the bench who will make an impact with 25 to go. 
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:
    I thought we got sod all compensation because he moved outside of England? Only to Scotland I know, but still. I don’t think we are entitled to anything whatsoever 
    We got 300,000 at the time of the deal and are not entitled to a penny more 
    Not strictly true, we get a piddly amount of money due to the fifa solidarity scheme, literally will be less than 100k.
    Got a link then to prove that I’m incorrect? Reported at the time to be the figure I have already stated by many different sources. 

Either way we are not getting a buck more 
    Wasn’t disagreeing with your 300k I’m just saying we get the solidarity payment on top.
  • Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Squad culture will now change with the number of substitutes allowed.
    yeah, I think we'll see the Eddie Jones thing, of having a group of 'finishers' on the bench who will make an impact with 25 to go. 
    It will be interesting, and probably entertaining to see how managers across the leagues do the substitute thing.
    I was amused how Australia brought on that dancing goalkeeper just before the penalty shoot out the other week.
    Maybe we will get last minute free kick maestros or Hail Mary long throw experts.
    I bet there is a lot of fun to be had regarding substitution culture in the future.
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:
    I thought we got sod all compensation because he moved outside of England? Only to Scotland I know, but still. I don’t think we are entitled to anything whatsoever 
    Not strictly true, we get a piddly amount of money due to the fifa solidarity scheme, literally will be less than 100k.
    Got a link then to prove that I’m incorrect? Reported at the time to be the figure I have already stated by many different sources. 

Wasn’t disagreeing with your 300k I’m just saying we get the solidarity payment on top.
    This should mean Staines get a small payment too. Small to us but big at their level.
  • Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:

This should mean Staines get a small payment too. Small to us but big at their level.
    Us and Stains definitely get something (equal amounts I think) but I am not who else does.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scott Quigley going to Morecambe. Opens the door for Stockton to move?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Dizzle said:

Us and Stains definitely get something (equal amounts I think) but I am not who else does.

I think it depends on the number of years each club trained him between the ages of 12-23 if he was with staines 6 years and us 3 years for example then I believe they would receive a bigger portion of the money.
  • Rothko said:
    Don't get the Stockton thing, one freak season late in his career doesn't make him a player to spend a load of money on 
    Lyle Taylor?
  • Happy to wait till end of the transfer window to get a striker in rather that pay way over the odds for someone that will probably be getting plenty of stick from fans by October.

We need a natural left back in sharpish tho.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Rothko said:
    Don't get the Stockton thing, one freak season late in his career doesn't make him a player to spend a load of money on 
    Lyle Taylor?
    On a free, so a signing on fee. Not the few hundred grand that Morecombe will want, plus whatever Stockton wants to sweeten the deal
  • Happy to wait till end of the transfer window to get a striker in rather that pay way over the odds for someone that will probably be getting plenty of stick from fans by October.

We need a natural left back in sharpish tho.
    Sessengon won't be a backup, and he said specifically he has been brought in to play left back. 
  • Wouldn’t be disappointed to find we’ve paid to get him. Thought his all round game would benefit our other strikers.
  • edited July 2022
  • ...we're signing John Stones?
  • Sponsored links:

• ...we're signing John Stones?
    Wrong thread  :)
  • One thing I haven't seen mentioned much on here is that we've managed to make 5 signings so far and only one has been a loan. Firstly that's good in that we can't keep making a load of first team loan signings and then seeing half the team go home at the end of every season, but it also means that we can continue to try to make the permanent signings we need, knowing that on or around deadline day we have the scope to bring loans in to cover early injury issues, plug unexpected issues or otherwise flesh out the squad. We've still got a huge amount of flexibility within our squad for young loanees to come in if we need and that's a massive positive.
    Interesting, Quigley’s 6 ft 4 so would expect him to be either backup or a replacement for Stockton.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Quigley

Which clubs in our league need a striker? Last year we’d have said Ipswich but they probably have several to choose from.
  • Scoham said:
    Scott Quigley going to Morecambe. Opens the door for Stockton to move?
    Interesting, Quigley’s 6 ft 4 so would expect him to be either backup or a replacement for Stockton.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Quigley

Which clubs in our league need a striker? Last year we’d have said Ipswich but they probably have several to choose from.

MK Dons had a bid rejected for Colby Bishop from Accy so looks like they're definitely in the market and Pompey don't have a striker on their books at all but have been linked to Joe Pigott. 
  • Sage said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    Rothko said:
    Lyle Taylor?
    Stockton and Lyle Taylor, there is no true comparison.

Taylor was 28 when he signed for us, the same age as Stockton now (both born in March).

In the 3 seasons before joining us, Taylor scored:

24 in 48 in 15/16 (League Two)
    14 in 50 in 16/17 (League One)
    18 in 52 in 17/18 (League One)

He then scored 24 in 45 with us in 18/19 in League One and 11 in 22 in the Championship the following season.

That's 91 in 217 appearances in 5 seasons or 56 in 150 before joining us. We also signed on him a free transfer.

Stockton has scored 51 in 188 in his last 5 seasons.

The only closer comparison you can make is in the last 3 years Stockton has scored 47 in 134. But then that is always heavily skewed by scoring an incredible 26 in 50. Before that he was a 1 in 4 striker, on average.

I think he's decent, however, I can see why a lot of people are sceptical if this is just a one season wonder. 
    Maybe being greedy, I wouldn’t stop at Stockton, him and a nippier box player with Davison going out, I think would be good business. We’ve undoubtedly lacked goals from midfield so if we get someone scoring from there, Stockton/ stockley etc. don’t have to be scoring 25-30, although that would be a bonus.
  • DOUCHER said:
    not up to date on here atm so don't know if already mentioned but Aribo to Southampton will see a windfall for us   
    We'll get a drink out of it, but nothing much.
    But Morecombe said they not received a bid for him plenty of interest but no firm offers 
  • Quigley is a pacey two-footed forward.[54] Despite being 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), he prefers to play with the ball on the ground - From the ever reliable Wiki! Certainly plays like Stockton.

I understand issues with Stocktons lack of goals before the last 2 seasons but its evident he is a good player. He will score goals given the right service and create chances for others.

Personally think having him and Stockley in the same squad would be immense. 2 different styles to offer different ways to play and would bring the best out of each other!
  • The other thing about Stockton, is he's spent the sum total of 1 season outside of the North West in his career, which makes a move to the other corner of the country unlikely