Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I imagine the next few signings are particularly tricky. Balancing act between permanent deals and loans with lots of uncertainty with both. I’ll be happier when we get the next couple done.
  • Gone a bit quiet on the transfer front hasnt it? Season starts three weeks Saturday and we are short in a number of areas. Have lessons been learned from last summer or not?
    So what you're saying is the next 3 weeks are crucial?...
  • Gone a bit quiet on the transfer front hasnt it? Season starts three weeks Saturday and we are short in a number of areas. Have lessons been learned from last summer or not?
    We're getting to the "five or six days without an announcement" phase again...

All of the previous signings have come out of nowhere with no real indication/leak/rumour beforehand. For all we know, there could be one coming this evening.
    You promised us another cryptic clue I think @Callumcafc. This lull feels more like a deep depression at the moment, so I hope you're right. Maybe its going to be that marquee signing giving us cause to break out the biscuit barrel and treat ourselves to an extra custard cream 😋
  • Out of interest what does a footballer look like when they’re sat in a car? 
  • Good point👍 Just young and athletic looking but the nice motor coming out of sparrows was got me looking
  • Justafan said:
    Good point👍 Just young and athletic looking but the nice motor coming out of sparrows was got me looking
    Fair enough, cheers for passing on. I do think it’s a deal that’s going to happen 
  • Sponsored links:

• Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Defensive midfielders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
  • Justafan said:
    If it turns out to be a load of rubbish I’ll just blame my son😁
    He probably blames you for everything else

I often drop my son off to nursery next door, I see them go in and out a lot it’s not that hard I’d say, flash motor, young face.
  • Justafan said:
    Good point👍 Just young and athletic looking but the nice motor coming out of sparrows was got me looking
    Could have been me by that description although I can confirm on this occasion it wasn’t. 
  • Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 
    We need about 80 goals to have a crack at it, interesting point as I’ve never really considered it:

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

Thats 72, appreciate some are generous (Aneke/CBT/own goals) assuming we do sign another winger/forward he needs goals in him.
    Good way to break it down... if we compare it to 11/12 and 18/19...

11/12 we scored 82 goals.

44 came from FWs (BWP, Kermorgant, N'Guessan, Hayes, Haynes, Ephraim)
    33 came from MFs (Jackson, Hollands, Wagstaff, Stephens, Green, Russell)
    5 came from DFs (Morrison, Wiggins)

18/19 we scored 73 goals.

39 came from FWs (Taylor, Grant, Vetokele, Ajose)
    20 came from MFs (Aribo, Reeves, Fosu, Pratley, Marshall, Ward, Cullen)
    9 came from DFs (Bielik, Pearce, Sarr, Dijksteel, Solly)
    5 own goals
    You forgot to add Josh Parker to the forwards list.....oh, wait 😬

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

5 own goals
    Interesting, Midfield a bigger input than I imagined, Fraser did bag 14 not so long ago I said on another thread out season could depend on him finding form.  
  • edited July 2022

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

5 own goals
    Interesting, Midfield a bigger input than I imagined, Fraser did bag 14 not so long ago I said on another thread out season could depend on him finding form.  
    9 of them were pens though, not sure how many pens Jackson scored. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Barring long injuries and suspensions, we should be able to count on Stockley and Aneke for 25 minimum. Hopefully they both have good seasons and can get closer to 35. We do most definitely need that first choice option who can score 15 himself to play alongside/compete with Jayden, allowing Aneke to be at his most effective off the bench. What this does make me realize is that keeping Davison as a 4th choice option might not be the worst thing in the world if he can chip in with 5 himself.

Midfield is a concern. We'll need 25-30 goals from that area of the pitch. Will Fraser, Kirk, JFC, CBT, McGrandles, Morgan be able to contribute those between them? As a group, I'd be hopeful that Fraser, Kirk, JFC and CBT can get to 20 but at the same time, that feels like a push. A goalscorer here in the Jacko(13)/Aribo(9) mold would be handy... Fraser is the most likely of the current bunch if he can replicate his form of a couple years ago but he needs a Hollands (7) or a Reeves (4) alongside him to take some of that goal threat pressure off his shoulders.

Goalscoring defenders are the least of my worries with this team. Getting defenders into scoring positions is more on your set pieces and tactical set up. I trust Garner to have that in hand and we should take care of those 5-10 goals comfortably.
  • Yes, they went down in 1951 and came back up in 1954. 
    Everton do indeed have the second longest unbroken run in the top flight after Arsenal, but in total they have spent more years there than any other club.
    And of course Arsenal never earned their promotion to the top flight.  
  • Barring long injuries and suspensions, we should be able to count on Stockley and Aneke for 25 minimum. Hopefully they both have good seasons and can get closer to 35. We do most definitely need that first choice option who can score 15 himself to play alongside/compete with Jayden, allowing Aneke to be at his most effective off the bench. What this does make me realize is that keeping Davison as a 4th choice option might not be the worst thing in the world if he can chip in with 5 himself.

Midfield is a concern. We'll need 25-30 goals from that area of the pitch. Will Fraser, Kirk, JFC, CBT, McGrandles, Morgan be able to contribute those between them? As a group, I'd be hopeful that Fraser, Kirk, JFC and CBT can get to 20 but at the same time, that feels like a push. A goalscorer here in the Jacko(13)/Aribo(9) mold would be handy... Fraser is the most likely of the current bunch if he can replicate his form of a couple years ago but he needs a Hollands (7) or a Reeves (4) alongside him to take some of that goal threat pressure off his shoulders.

Goalscoring defenders are the least of my worries with this team. Getting defenders into scoring positions is more on your set pieces and tactical set up. I trust Garner to have that in hand and we should take care of those 5-10 goals comfortably.
    Any stats on how many of Swindon’s goals were from set pieces? Or at least those scored by CBs?

I wouldn’t expect set pieces to be Garner’s focus since he wants a very possession based style.
  • Scoham said:
    Barring long injuries and suspensions, we should be able to count on Stockley and Aneke for 25 minimum. Hopefully they both have good seasons and can get closer to 35. We do most definitely need that first choice option who can score 15 himself to play alongside/compete with Jayden, allowing Aneke to be at his most effective off the bench. What this does make me realize is that keeping Davison as a 4th choice option might not be the worst thing in the world if he can chip in with 5 himself.

Any stats on how many of Swindon’s goals were from set pieces? Or at least those scored by CBs?

I wouldn’t expect set pieces to be Garner’s focus since he wants a very possession based style.
    Only four actually. I was thinking less about Garner's impact on set pieces and more the playing style, defenders getting forward and playing more of a part in our attacking play.
  • Scoham said:

They aren't mutually exclusive.  Man City scored the most goals from corners in the prem last season.  I *think* arsenal might have been second. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

They aren't mutually exclusive.  Man City scored the most goals from corners in the prem last season.  I *think* arsenal might have been second. 
    Wasn’t saying they were, I just wouldn’t I expect it to be a strengths of ours under that type of manager. If it is then great.
  • edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    Free agent signings from the Cat 1 academies is not a bad strategy if you’re banking on young players’ resale value to help fund the future.

Low risk, high reward. You will probably get more wrong than right but sign enough of the right ones and it would pay off.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Midfield I think we're looking pretty solid, but we need some more goals in the team 

Stockley 20
    Aneke 15
    Fraser 7
    Kirk 7
    CBT 5
    JFC 5
    Defenders combined 5
    Own goals 3

5 own goals
    9 of them were pens though, not sure how many pens Jackson scored. 
    That’s good as we do need someone to score penalties. We scored a ridiculous amount of them in the 18/19 promotion but since Taylor left we haven’t had a really good penalty taker or many players good enough to win penalties