Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I know people aren't keen on older players but have we actually got anyone left over 30?

You really do need a couple of senior pros.  The trick is getting the right one. 

This.

More Andy Hughes and less Chris Gunter. Don't have to be a once big name player, a solid pro seriously looking into coaching but can still add some worth to side, Watson should have been, but, well he was just happy being closer to home.

Looking back at the Powell older heads, you had the 3 areas of the pitch covered for the experience as well Euell - attack, Hughes - midfield, Cort - defence. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    I know people aren't keen on older players but have we actually got anyone left over 30?

You really do need a couple of senior pros.  The trick is getting the right one. 
    BRING ME DARREN PRATLEY
    This is it; the 2011-12 and 2018-19 sides carried a lot of good pros alongside some more exciting younger ones.  It's time to move on from Pearce the starter, but guys like him and Pratley are invaluable around the squad.  I suspect Gunter and Watson were decent pros too, if way past their best.  
  • edited May 2022
    How do u know Pratley was invaluable around the squad? Guess Watson prob was too

• shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Oldest player under contract is 29 which is the keeper. Stockley and Aneke, 28
    Keepers don't count. They get better into their 30s often.
    That was not the question asked though was it
  • edited May 2022
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Correct but the question is often referring to outfield players.

Italy won the Euros with at least 2 over or very nearly 35 players at the heart of their defence.  We want quality surely so age isn't always important. 

Akinfenwa is 40 very  nearly 
    And is a dog shit nause 
  • As others said , the old experienced pros can be vital but also have we have seen with the likes of Arter, Gunter and Watson buy the wrong ones and can be very costly. You have to oook at the top teams in out division though to see they have key players who are 30 plus 
  • Redhenry said:
    How do u know Pratley was invaluable around the squad? Guess Watson prob was too

I don't know a whole lot about Pratley's influence in the dressing room, but I do remember that despite being 700 years old he was always at the absolute top of the endurance tests they did to gauge player fitness in pre-season and that set a good example for the squad. Players would talk about it in interviews. Not that it seemed to do them any good mind, but that's on them.
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Correct but the question is often referring to outfield players.

Italy won the Euros with at least 2 over or very nearly 35 players at the heart of their defence.  We want quality surely so age isn't always important. 

Akinfenwa is 40 very  nearly 
    And is a dog shit nause 
    Who is ?
    Akinfewa 
  • edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

It isn't older player per se, Watson was fine on the ball at times but was like Cinderella he was late for the ball and received a yellow card instead of marrying a Prince.
    Ben Watson had a very good career but he wasn't what Charlton needed over the last two years. There are athletes in League 1  (not enough at Cafc) even if the skill level is hit and miss at third tier.
    Agree the trick is getting the right ones.

No magic formula and Arter was only just into his 30's just like Gunter yet Harry looked a spent force and Gunter was average but TBF did have to cover 3 different positions over his time at Cafc.

Tom Huddleston is also not mobile dispite again having had a decent career.

• wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    DA9 said:
    Tom Huddlestone leaving Hull, 35, and would still do a job in L1 IMO 
    Made 4 starts this season and another 8 appearances off the bench. No doubt there are some older players who have plenty to offer but that doesn't suggest he's one of them.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=33696&season_id=154

We badly need to replace Ben Watson
    A little known fact that Absent Now is an anagram of Ben Watson. Let us hope so.
  • Probally totally out of our league , but Joe Allen 32 at Stoke now out of contract would be the perfect type experienced midfielder for us.
  • I have feelings too you know 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone mentioned Jack Iredale yet? 
    Joined Bolton On a three year deal 
  • Bolton have a good core. I'd swap our squad for theirs in an instant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Great, now every day that goes past someone will moan that Bolton started making signings in early May.
    We need a 22/23 Ipswich don’t we, oh look they’ve signed another whilst Tommy has updated the west stand charlton sign!!
  • edited May 2022
  • Let's look back at this at the end of next season and see how Iredale fared.
  • Scoham said:
    Great, now every day that goes past someone will moan that Bolton started making signings in early May.
    And we'll be right to moan because whatever we think about Adkins/Bowyer/Jackson it's clear that our recruitment has been left too late and had a lasting affect due to missing out on best players, signing players with no pre-season etc
    Agree if it happens again, but we can’t properly judge until we see how it goes in May and into June.

Even in Powell’s title winning season we didn’t start making signings until late May.
  • Can't sign anyone until the window opens :wink:

Cracking signing for Bolton.  I thought things were afoot when they released their captain but have gone from strength to strength since then. 

I know this is a player we had an interest in and thought we had a chance when Nixon linked him to Bolton. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    And we'll be right to moan because whatever we think about Adkins/Bowyer/Jackson it's clear that our recruitment has been left too late and had a lasting affect due to missing out on best players, signing players with no pre-season etc
    Agree if it happens again, but we can’t properly judge until we see how it goes in May and into June.

Even in Powell’s title winning season we didn’t start making signings until late May.
    So we can start panicking at the end of next week? 
  • Scoham said:
    Well we do need around a dozen new players & its happened before that clubs have stolen a march on us.

So let me be the first to say.....get a f**king move on Gallen. 

• Scoham said:
    Well we do need around a dozen new players & its happened before that clubs have stolen a march on us.

So let me be the first to say.....get a f**king move on Gallen. 

Who would sign for us, we don't even have a manager!