Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

When I see stats like this which seems quite often,  it seems most strikers are called that because they are on strike.
    You won't find a lower League striker that regularly gets 20 goals a season, because they wouldn't be a lower League striker.

Billy Sharpe is the only player that has scored 20, or more, League 1 goals twice in the last decade.

Even more reason not to sign Stockton 😉

Reckon Clarke-Harris is in with a shout of doing it if he isn't sold tbh or is that stat for consecutive seasons?
    It's just stats.  They normally either get promoted or sold.  

Billy has done it twice in consecutive seasons.  For Scunthorpe and Sheffield United.  Did it twice under that no nothing good for nothing Adkins as well.....

But the first 2 were over a decade ago.  Clarke-Harris is within a shout. 

True, but what it shows is teams aren’t usually able to go a buy a “proven” 20 goal a season striker, so neither should we be expected to. 

Any striker we are able to bring in will be a bit of a punt and/or just because Stockley hasn’t done it before doesn’t mean he couldn’t this season. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

When I see stats like this which seems quite often,  it seems most strikers are called that because they are on strike.
    You won't find a lower League striker that regularly gets 20 goals a season, because they wouldn't be a lower League striker.

Billy Sharpe is the only player that has scored 20, or more, League 1 goals twice in the last decade.

Reckon Clarke-Harris is in with a shout of doing it if he isn't sold tbh or is that stat for consecutive seasons?

Billy has done it twice in consecutive seasons.  For Scunthorpe and Sheffield United.  Did it twice under that no nothing good for nothing Adkins as well.....

True, but what it shows is teams aren’t usually able to go a buy a “proven” 20 goal a season striker, so neither should we be expected to. 

Any striker we are able to bring in will be a bit of a punt and/or just because Stockley hasn’t done it before doesn’t mean he couldn’t this season. 
    Exactly these are the last 4 seasons worth... 

It's rare air, even the one that did it we were linked to no one wanted. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Go back a little further and a certain Nicky Ajose would find his way onto that list. Don't recall him getting quite as many in League One for us the next season..
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charltons-ben-garner-wants-to-repeat-swindon-trick-and-overachieve-with-budget-available/

So Garner flatly denies the size of the budget that Sandgaard claims he has.

One of them can't be telling the truth.
  • Southbank said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charltons-ben-garner-wants-to-repeat-swindon-trick-and-overachieve-with-budget-available/

So Garner flatly denies the size of the budget that Sandgaard claims he has.

One of them can't be telling the truth.
    Read the article then... 

I’ve got a budget that I’ve been asked to work towards this season and it’s a healthy budget,” explained Garner.

“It’s a competitive budget in this division. But it’s certainly not near what I would say were the top two or three teams in this division, budget-wise. It’s nowhere near that. But it’s competitive and we want to perform as best we can with the budget we’ve got.

“For example, Derby

• How do other managers and owners know which budgets other club have?

Is it just an educated guess or will they know based on agents etc?
  • How do other managers and owners know which budgets other club have?

Is it just an educated guess or will they know based on agents etc?
    Someone confirmed on here a while ago that the information is shared with all owners. Can’t remember who or which thread.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Go back a little further and a certain Nicky Ajose would find his way onto that list. Don't recall him getting quite as many in League One for us the next season..
    He got more than 25% of his career goals in one season.  I can't believe he is still only 30.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Barnsley will all have bigger budgets. Possibly even Pompey, Peterborough and Wycombe too. 
  • Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Barnsley will all have bigger budgets. Possibly even Pompey, Peterborough and Wycombe too. 
    I’ll have an educated guess that we have 6th/7th largest budget now, unless cut of course and I reckon you are on the money @charlton_hero
  • Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Barnsley will all have bigger budgets. Possibly even Pompey, Peterborough and Wycombe too. 
    Derby, Wednesday, Ipswich, Peterborough - Yes. 

Pompey, Barnsley - I expect us to be around these two.

Wycombe - If our budget is smaller than theirs, I have concerns.
  • Quite why an owner of a club would be happy to discuss their financial arrangements with other owners is a mystery to me. Doing business would be made much harder if another club know you have a lot of money available as opposed to money being tight. 
    They submit them to the EFL who then distribute them.
  • Suspect we're in the top 6, but I suspect the likes of Derby, Wednesday and Ipswich are spending big, Peterborough I'm not sure, always feel they spend well, but sensibly. 

Pompey and Barnsley I suspect we're in the ballpark, and Wycombe have spent, but not massively, and are heavily reliant on their owners pumping the cash in. 

But it's a budget that should allow us to be competitive in this league 
  • So that is where we are. Fucking Wycombe could have a bigger budget than us . There average attendance is a4 blokes , a dog and 30 sheep in the pasture at the cack of the 
    Budgets are calculated on No of sheep at the ground? 
  • Sponsored links:

• So that is where we are. Fucking Wycombe could have a bigger budget than us . There average attendance is a4 blokes , a dog and 30 sheep in the pasture at the cack of the 
    Yeah... Ewe might be wrong there
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Quite why an owner of a club would be happy to discuss their financial arrangements with other owners is a mystery to me. Doing business would be made much harder if another club know you have a lot of money available as opposed to money being tight. 
    Thanks but why ? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Quite why an owner of a club would be happy to discuss their financial arrangements with other owners is a mystery to me. Doing business would be made much harder if another club know you have a lot of money available as opposed to money being tight. 
    Thanks but why ? 
    🤷‍♂️
    I would Imagine Bolton’s is bigger this season too. I think when you consider , our gate receipts must be in the top 6 , the income we have had from player sell ons due to having the best academy in the league and the fact Thomas is supposed to be worth a bob or two then it’s easy to feel our budget isn’t what it perhaps should be.

Saying that there there part of it where I think it’s very sensible trying to run the club in a sustainable way. It does make just slightly frustrated when the likes of Derby, Wigan, Bolton and Sheffield have basically cheated by over spending and not being sensible but then when they do get new owners they are seemingly doing the same thing again
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich and Barnsley will all have bigger budgets. Possibly even Pompey, Peterborough and Wycombe too. 
    I would Imagine Bolton’s is bigger this season too. I think when you consider , our gate receipts must be in the top 6 , the income we have had from player sell ons due to having the best academy in the league and the fact Thomas is supposed to be worth a bob or two then it’s easy to feel our budget isn’t what it perhaps should be.

Saying that there there part of it where I think it’s very sensible trying to run the club in a sustainable way. It does make just slightly frustrated when the likes of Derby, Wigan, Bolton and Sheffield have basically cheated by over spending and not being sensible but then when they do get new owners they are seemingly doing the same thing again
    It's two completely different things.

Your gate receipts basically say how much your allowed to spend.

The generosity, or other wise, of the owner says how much you can spend.

We lose money before we even pay the players, Accrington don't lose money after they have paid them.

There is no sensible way to run Charlton in league 1.  The only consideration is how much you lose and how quickly.
  • Best we can hope for is a strong loan for a striker - ideally someone that can hold the ball up and run channels / be a threat in behind , like the guy with pink hair used to.  Ideally someone that can play left or right too
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:

It's two completely different things.

Your gate receipts basically say how much your allowed to spend.

The generosity, or other wise, of the owner says how much you can spend.

We lose money before we even pay the players, Accrington don't lose money after they have paid them.

There is no sensible way to run Charlton in league 1.  The only consideration is how much you lose and how quickly.
    I agree but I get the impression Thomas feels he can make money in this division somehow however deluded that might be.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Best we can hope for is a strong loan for a striker - ideally someone that can hold the ball up and run channels / be a threat in behind , like the guy with pink hair used to.  Ideally someone that can play left or right too
    Why is it the best we can hope for exactly? 
    That explains it because nothing linked to finances could explain it. 
    This can't be right surely? Not the sheep bit!

It might be true if their owner DONATES huge sums of money to them to count as turnover. Anyone know?

I assume they don't get parachute payments for dropping out of the Championship two seasons ago?

I suppose their players could be earning next to naff all, but overall the budget is what it is and they're wages are part of it, so the level is unaltered by that 

This must be a red herring! Our budget must be bigger.