Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Best we can hope for is a strong loan for a striker - ideally someone that can hold the ball up and run channels / be a threat in behind , like the guy with pink hair used to.  Ideally someone that can play left or right too
    Why is it the best we can hope for exactly? 
    Because we clearly don’t have the money to buy a good league 1 striker . 
    You're right. 

WE don't have the money for anything. 

Thomas Sandgaard however, will be willing to find the money as he's shown a few times.

Everyone* wanted Stockley permanently and we paid a reasonable fee for him and he's done reasonably well for us, though it is now clear that his hip/back condition has severely hampered him. 

(*except me, I didn't like his lack of running, but prior to his injury last season he showed more willing)
    Are we not allowed to refer to Charlton as “we” anymore? 

I don’t doubt that Sandgaard put up plenty of money last year but he doesn’t seem to want to do that this summer - I don’t blame him for that . 
  • edited August 2022
    He said we’re short of defenders with Egbo being out injured….so full back cover would seem more likely.

Completely get the early concerns about O’Connell but hopefully he will come good. If not we have Lavelle, Ness, Elerewe (on recall) and even Clare as an option to play there instead. I would also like another CB (bearing in mind Inniss could breakdown at any min) but we atleast have more options there than we have at full back. If Sessegnon gets injured we have to play a winger (Claydon) there and if Clare gets injured we have to play a CB at RB (Ness or Barker etc).
  • Scoham said:
    Anyway back to talking about transfers instead of budgets.  We know we are looking to upgrade at wide forward/winger and fullback,  my biggest fear is that we aren’t looking at another center half.  I just don’t think some combination of innis, O’Connell and Lavelle is good enough to get promoted.  
    Garner mentioned bringing in one or two attacking options, I don’t think he confirmed we’re after a full back? I think a CB is more likely given we only have three senior players there.
    Even worse at full-back though isn't it. We have 2 senior fit full-backs, one of whom left his previous club because he didn't want to play there. 
    Not really, you don’t bring in another full back just because one has a short term injury.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Anyway back to talking about transfers instead of budgets.  We know we are looking to upgrade at wide forward/winger and fullback,  my biggest fear is that we aren’t looking at another center half.  I just don’t think some combination of innis, O’Connell and Lavelle is good enough to get promoted.  
    Garner mentioned bringing in one or two attacking options, I don’t think he confirmed we’re after a full back? I think a CB is more likely given we only have three senior players there.
    And perhaps he'll be a CB who can also comfortably  cover at LB?

You’d think so, but that doesn’t fit with the idea of attacking full backs.

Clayden may well play more than many expect, and like Clare we shouldn’t be fixed to the idea that his best position is in midfield. It’s not uncommon for wingers to convert to full back.
  • Phil Warman is a good case in point
  • Can someone point me in the direction of the official league one budget website?

Thought not.
  • edited August 2022
    We need a left footed defender who can cover both left centre back and left back, should there be injuries in either position / to push O'Connell and Sessegnon on to better things.
  • Can someone point me in the direction of the official league one budget website?

Thought not.
    www.league1budgets.co.uk

Seriously though you can look at the accounts on Companies House Web site and they will give you a good idea.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Even worse at full-back though isn't it. We have 2 senior fit full-backs, one of whom left his previous club because he didn't want to play there. 
    Not really, you don’t bring in another full back just because one has a short term injury.
    But we have 3 senior CB's at the club who are all fit. We have 2 full-backs plus Clare, with one of them injured. So the situation is similar with full-backs needing greater attention in the short-term.
  • FAVADDICK said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    chev said:
    Spoke to ts we have 4th biggest budget in league 1
    Why do you feel the need to run and ask him things like this, it's pretty sad to be honest 
    "Run and ask him"???

People have been debating where our budget sits so someone asked the owner who said 4th.

That sounds about right to me but it depends on your view on TS (and Chev) and his honesty.

Not sure why it's "sad" to  add info to the debate.
    Thomas will tell you what ever you want to here, doesn't mean it's true, there's no way we have the 4th biggest budget, not with derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Ipswich, Peterborough, Wycombe, Bolton and Portsmouth, so I would imagine that another lie 
    Budgets these days are based on a % of the clubs turnover aren't they?

Derby, Sheff Weds, Ipswich - definitely have bigger budgets than us.
    Bolton & Pompey i'd expect to be pretty similar to us. 
    Barnsley, Peterborough, Wycombe - smaller budgets than us. Wycombe for example didn't even get 6k for their opening home game. 

So TS saying we have the 4th highest budget probably isn't as stupid as it sounds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• FAVADDICK said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    chev said:
    Spoke to ts we have 4th biggest budget in league 1
    Why do you feel the need to run and ask him things like this, it's pretty sad to be honest 
    "Run and ask him"???

People have been debating where our budget sits so someone asked the owner who said 4th.

That sounds about right to me but it depends on your view on TS (and Chev) and his honesty.

Not sure why it's "sad" to  add info to the debate.
    Thomas will tell you what ever you want to here, doesn't mean it's true, there's no way we have the 4th biggest budget, not with derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Ipswich, Peterborough, Wycombe, Bolton and Portsmouth, so I would imagine that another lie 
    Budgets these days are based on a % of the clubs turnover aren't they?

Derby, Sheff Weds, Ipswich - definitely have bigger budgets than us.
    Bolton & Pompey i'd expect to be pretty similar to us. 
    Barnsley, Peterborough, Wycombe - smaller budgets than us. Wycombe for example didn't even get 6k for their opening home game. 

So TS saying we have the 4th highest budget probably isn't as stupid as it sounds. 
    Not necessarily. Not if you've got an owner willing to pile cash in. 
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I still remember when he first started signing players for fees and putting people on long-term contracts and it felt brilliant, since Roland hadn't done that in forever. 

So why is it now not enough? And what will be enough?
    Roland paid a fee and a long term contract with it in his last window he owned us.....
    You're the master of knowing a general point is not undermined by a minor exception, but posting it anyway...  :s
  • I don't see how you can rank budgets for the season, when the transfer window isn't closed yet anyway. If a club starts this month badly, or has a glut of injuries the owner may pump some more money in for some last minute transfers that weren't expected. A club may sell a highly paid players on deadline day, and fail to replace him etc

That's even more the case in January, which is when the panic buys really happen. Even before the modern windows, owners would often take a punt on promotion, e.g. when we brought in Mills and Youds late in the 1997/98 season, with money we didn't really have.

Thought not.

These are a couple of years out of date but I suspect the numbers haven't changed that much.  Relatively.
  • edited August 2022
    So, does anyone think we’ll sign new players this week? 🤔
  • _MrDick said:
    Skintgaard bottom-half budget ZERO FORWARDS found out FALSE DAWN GARNERBALL wibble
  • _MrDick said:
    No
  • 84 new posts. Are they all about whether we’re 6th or 7th biggest budget in the league? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Smithy said:
    Sheffield Wednesday are sponsored by their owners company so will have a significantly inflated income through that. 
    Why can’t Zynex sponsor us?

Not sure if this is a serious question but Zynex is a publicly listed company and TS will need to run it for the best benefit of the company and it's shareholders (assuming US regulation is similar to UK).  I can't see why a Sponsorship deal with a smallish UK football team with no presence in the States would be considered as such so he would end up in serious hot water.

Sheff Weds was different as their Sponsor was a privately owned company and the only shareholder to report to was the owner of Sheff Weds too.

The more pertinent question would be why, if TS has stated ambitions of PL and Champions League in short order would he not equity roll a bigger spend to get us out of this division quickly given, comparatively to the Championship, it is the easier division to be promoted from budget wise.  Then t/o caps would be essentially irrelevant.
  • Valley11 said:
    84 new posts. Are they all about whether we’re 6th or 7th biggest budget in the league? 
    I tried to change the subject. But this was the only enthusiastic response I got ..

_MrDick said:
    No
    Oh well … 🤷‍♂️
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

Clayden may well play more than many expect, and like Clare we shouldn’t be fixed to the idea that his best position is in midfield. It’s not uncommon for wingers to convert to full back.
    At Charlton we've had Brian Kinsey, Phil Warman - there's 2 stalwarts at fullback converted from wingers ..... oh dear, I'm giving my age away.

Deary me, I nearly forgot Paul Smyth in that 4-4 draw with Rochdale!

• Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

There's also perhaps DJ, although principally right footed, also showed well enough defensively last season, even a few instances at LWB.

Maybe only in the absence of another choice though.

• _MrDick said:
    Valley11 said:
    84 new posts. Are they all about whether we’re 6th or 7th biggest budget in the league? 
    I tried to change the subject. But this was the only enthusiastic response I got ..

_MrDick said:
    No
    Oh well … 🤷‍♂️
    Both wrong
  • edited August 2022
    _MrDick said:
    Hard to say really. Garner says in the press that we are very close to getting a couple more in. That suggests to me that they could be today if everything goes right, could be next week, could be on the deadline or could be never if it all falls apart.

If we’re waiting on the green light from Gallen it could be a number of things: agents doing last minute haggling, other clubs not letting go of players without replacing first, us needing to offload a body before bringing another in…
  • 1 will come in this week, probably Rak-Sakyi 
  • Rothko said:
    Suspect we're in the top 6, but I suspect the likes of Derby, Wednesday and Ipswich are spending big, Peterborough I'm not sure, always feel they spend well, but sensibly. 

Pompey and Barnsley I suspect we're in the ballpark, and Wycombe have spent, but not massively, and are heavily reliant on their owners pumping the cash in. 

But it's a budget that should allow us to be competitive in this league 
    Was speaking to my Peterborough supporting mate the other day. He reckons they don’t pay very high wages compared to the competition but some players accept it because the they have a reputation of moving players on to much bigger clubs. They also pay big fees for strikers and forwards. They regularly pay in excess of £1m but usually move them on for a sizeable profit. My mate reckons they lose roughly about the same amount as Charlton do a year. 
  • Rothko said:
    Suspect we're in the top 6, but I suspect the likes of Derby, Wednesday and Ipswich are spending big, Peterborough I'm not sure, always feel they spend well, but sensibly. 

Pompey and Barnsley I suspect we're in the ballpark, and Wycombe have spent, but not massively, and are heavily reliant on their owners pumping the cash in. 

But it's a budget that should allow us to be competitive in this league 
    Was speaking to my Peterborough supporting mate the other day. He reckons they don’t pay very high wages compared to the competition but some players accept it because the they have a reputation of moving players on to much bigger clubs. They also pay big fees for strikers and forwards. They regularly pay in excess of £1m but usually move them on for a sizeable profit. My mate reckons they lose roughly about the same amount as Charlton do a year. 
    They don't lose anywhere near what we do.  They don't have the over heads we do.

They have nailed the speculate to accumulate model though.