Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I’d rather Simpson over Stockton. Would take either at the point though. 
  • Richard J said:
    Have we actually been linked with Simpson? 
    Speculated on fan sites but no firm links in the media from what I can remember.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/42823/huddersfield-and-boro-linked-with-simpson
  • I don’t believe we are in for Stockton.
    He’s the same type as Stockley.
    Not sure there’s much credibility to the story when we haven’t paid a fee for any of our players.

• Rothko said:
    The other thing I feel itchy on Stockton, is he’s never really played outside the North West, and your expecting him to settle in London. Gets all a bit Andy Gray for me

Same here. Feels like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • After 2 first team friendlies against league teams, 3 league games and 1 cup game we have scored 4 goals from open play, and one of them from the youth team. Those of us who have been saying for several months that there are not enough goals in this squad have now been publicly joined by Curbs and Brownie.
    All down to the owner now to make a season of it.
  • Southbank said:
    After 2 first team friendlies against league teams, 3 league games and 1 cup game we have scored 4 goals from open play, and one of them from the youth team. Those of us who have been saying for several months that there are not enough goals in this squad have now been publicly joined by Curbs and Brownie.
    And one good signing could do that.
  • Southbank said:
    After 2 first team friendlies against league teams, 3 league games and 1 cup game we have scored 4 goals from open play, and one of them from the youth team. Those of us who have been saying for several months that there are not enough goals in this squad have now been publicly joined by Curbs and Brownie.
    And one good signing could do that.
    Would have to be a proven goalscorer in the Lee Gregory mode then, not some unproven loanee from the Prem.
  • Would have to be somebody or sombodies who meets the shortfall. Proven or unproven. Ideally proven but that won't be easy but we need to try to sort this issue out as it is very likely to cost us and as people have said, there are a lot of positives around how we are playing to the point that doing nothing would almost be criminal.
  • Southbank said:
    Not the same situation, but Everton remind me slightly of us at the moment in that they've brought in several decent players in other positions, but not up front yet, which is their biggest weakness
  • Sponsored links:

• On the subject of Everton i see Tom Cannon who we've been linked with scored again for their U21s last night.
  • PWR - From what I’ve heard, Stockton has gone to Fleetwood 
  • J BLOCK said:
    PWR - From what I’ve heard, Stockton has gone to Fleetwood 
    Thank duck for that!
  • J BLOCK said:
    It may prove to be a great signing but as someone else posted earlier there's got to be a reason the top clubs aren't looking to sign him. If he was as good as this forum seems to think he is then the likes of Ipswich, Derby and Sheff Weds would've been after him.

Is Morecambe to Fleetwood even a step up?
    Fleetwood and Morecambe aren’t likely to be playing on the deck!! 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Those certainly seem to be the rumours.

Derek Adams said in his post match interview that Stockton called up morning of the game yesterday saying he was sick and unable to play.

Be a bit weird to go all Lyle Taylor for a move to Fleetwood though. 
  • edited August 2022
    cazo said:
    Stockley and Kirk can fuck right off asap because thay bring fuck all to this team stockley was bad won fuck all
    Ridiculously harsh on Stockley.  System may not suit him but he has given 100% every game he has played for us and we would have quote possibly dropped to L2 without him last season.
    Tend to agree that Kirk is a luxury player who is not good enough to be one.
    Think Kirk will be dropped for JRS on Tuesday, or if not, replaced by him on 60 mins. After that he’ll be his backup. I’d be fine with him coming on to face tiring defenders from time to time. 
    Simpson or Stockton would be an upgrade on Stockley. 
  • It is obvious we need a striker,but they dont grow on trees,the Mendoncas,Hales,Bents of this world are hard to find,a rare breed.you wont get an established one for our budget,so a chance has to be taken somewhere,dont ask me who,it could be a kid from the premier or an unknown from non league(Jamie Vardy) prime example,or dare  I say a Lyle Taylor doing the rounds in the lower league.I am not going to have a go at Stockley,but we loads of crosses yesterday which he was no where near,they had one and scored.Stockley has to spend more time at the back of the area running on to crosses,not trying to head them from a standing position.(Watch the best,Shearer,Ronaldo).
  • Don't think it is as simple as 'get a new striker'. The biggest problem I saw yesterday was our inability to get numbers in the box in good positions. CBT did well on this but couldn't finish, but at least he was there, the rest will come with confidence. Kirk was probably the biggest culprit - as the wide man in the 5 he should be the one racing in when the ball is coming in on the right. Morgan and Fraser should also be taking it in turns to get to the edge of the box to pick up any loose ball that results from a cross. Stockley and the incoming wide man should also be switching between near and far post to give the defenders something to think about. Too often Stockley was coming near/central making him easier to mark.

I think BG has done really well in changing the general style of play but it still needs a lot of work in the final third mobillty (not just Stockley). He may be tempted to try a false 9 to draw central defenders but who of the current squad can play that role (Payne, JRS?). I don't think a Stockton type is the answer or Leaburn (but he does have more mobility and would learn quicker). A fit Aneke has the skills but we all know the problem there.

Will be interesting to see what Garner does on Tuesday and would expect to see a few changes - some players will not have recovered sufficiently from Saturday (e.g. Fraser) and two performances were unacceptable for differing reasons (Kirk and Stockley).    
  • Garner’s way of playing does as pointed out, needs midfielders to get into the box, and load it up, Fraser isn’t doing that, so suspect that’s where a Payne comes in and does that job 
  • Sponsored links:

• Several times in the first half Stockley made good near paper runs that drew feeders with him and left the far post exposed. Good crosses were then sent to the far post no one was attacking that area. Kirk the biggest culprit, for me, but midfielders need to get in there two. Payne in for Fraser and RakSaki in for Kirk will hopefully help but we’ll have to wait and see. 
  • I tend to agree Stockley isn’t naturally suited to this style of play, but it is a completely new style of play for us. 

We’ve improved with every performance so far and he has had two excellent chances I’d have expected him to take. He needs some support in the shape of another striker coming in because he can’t do that job Saturday/Tuesday every week, but don’t write his season off just yet. He’s a really good league one player with an excellent attitude and a willingness to learn. 

The club know I am sure that we need another one in upfront. And I am sure they’ll get the right person for the team. 👍
  • We still need an attack....Portsmouth bought Colby Bishop who moved as far south as one can and still play league football.  4 games.....4 goals....

Says it all.    What exactly does Steve en an Co see when it comes to goal scoring players ?

Answer.....A&Eeke 
    Weirdo
  • We still need an attack....Portsmouth bought Colby Bishop who moved as far south as one can and still play league football.  4 games.....4 goals....

Says it all.    What exactly does Steve en an Co see when it comes to goal scoring players ?

Answer.....A&Eeke 
    Bishop played up front with a partner in a 4-4-2, could he do it in a 4-3-3? Stockley would score goals in that set up.
  • On the subject of Everton i see Tom Cannon who we've been linked with scored again for their U21s last night.
    How did Bobby Ball do?
  • edited August 2022
    Don't think it is as simple as 'get a new striker'. The biggest problem I saw yesterday was our inability to get numbers in the box in good positions. CBT did well on this but couldn't finish, but at least he was there, the rest will come with confidence. Kirk was probably the biggest culprit - as the wide man in the 5 he should be the one racing in when the ball is coming in on the right. Morgan and Fraser should also be taking it in turns to get to the edge of the box to pick up any loose ball that results from a cross. Stockley and the incoming wide man should also be switching between near and far post to give the defenders something to think about. Too often Stockley was coming near/central making him easier to mark.

I think BG has done really well in changing the general style of play but it still needs a lot of work in the final third mobillty (not just Stockley). He may be tempted to try a false 9 to draw central defenders but who of the current squad can play that role (Payne, JRS?). I don't think a Stockton type is the answer or Leaburn (but he does have more mobility and would learn quicker). A fit Aneke has the skills but we all know the problem there.

Will be interesting to see what Garner does on Tuesday and would expect to see a few changes - some players will not have recovered sufficiently from Saturday (e.g. Fraser) and two performances were unacceptable for differing reasons (Kirk and Stockley).    
    I think we have improved in that respect but yesterday it was hot and our players seemed to hit a wall. As people have observed, their subs were the difference. If we want to play a high pressing game, I would expect us to be as fit as any team though! And the fact that CBT missed that great chance in the first half basically through a lack of composure helped a lot. He is such a weapon, can't somebody do some work with him? I have commented before, the final part of his game is severely lacking. If we haven't got anybody to do it, can't we bring somebody in to help him?