Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    You watch we will buy 4 wing backs and play 433.

He is 25 as well. 
  • As long as they’re strong enough defensively to play as an attacking full back then I’d be very happy with that. Wiggins at his best would have been great as an attacking left back or wing back whatever formation we played.
  • I’m excited to see three big lads up front , with Purrington and Lavelle lumping it forward .  
  • Scoham said:
    I think someone is putting 2 and 2 together, because I was at the last Boreham Wood game (against Wrexham). As if I was in fact a scout for Charlton, checking him out.

Or maybe I am  ;)
  • I really want us to sign Marquis - purely because ion Charlton TV he is referred to as John Mark Wee in commentary. 
  • Bailey said:
    First backward step of summer Washington downgrade to Marquis 
    Let’s look at this then seen they’re both the same age.

Washington 49 league one goals in 153 games.  Return of 32%
    Marquis 68 league one goals in 202 games.  Return of 34%

If you’re comparing goals, it’s not a downgrade, it’s a slight upgrade.  Maybe Washington doesn’t want to be here anymore?  Maybe Marquis just had a poor season with Lincoln?  Who knows, I’ve always felt Marquis is a hard worker and tough competitor, I don’t mind this move for us.

But not an upgrade enough to make a difference. 
    True pal.  However I don’t think strikers are a problem, I think injured ones are, like when we had our first 3 choices out all at once!
    Bailey said:
    First backward step of summer Washington downgrade to Marquis 
    Let’s look at this then seen they’re both the same age.

Washington 49 league one goals in 153 games.  Return of 32%
    Marquis 68 league one goals in 202 games.  Return of 34%

If you’re comparing goals, it’s not a downgrade, it’s a slight upgrade.  Maybe Washington doesn’t want to be here anymore?  Maybe Marquis just had a poor season with Lincoln?  Who knows, I’ve always felt Marquis is a hard worker and tough competitor, I don’t mind this move for us.

But not an upgrade enough to make a difference. 
    True pal.  However I don’t think strikers are a problem, I think injured ones are, like when we had our first 3 choices out all at once!
    I might disagree on that one, injuries withstanding we were not able to put teams away when both our strikers were playing also on the previous occasions that we have got promoted from this division we have been lucky to have a striker who was clearly a class above, in the seventies it was Hales ( twice) then Bradley Wright Philips and lastly Lyle Taylor.
  • edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    As long as they’re strong enough defensively to play as an attacking full back then I’d be very happy with that. Wiggins at his best would have been great as an attacking left back or wing back whatever formation we played.
    He would but he is probably the best left back we have ever had outside of the top flight.  He basically did play as a wing back for us, aided by having Jackson in front of him.

Wiggins and Green and Solly and Jackson wouldn't have ever worked as well.

I still think an attacking left back, like Desilva or Maatsen, in early August would have made a massive difference to our whole season.  I really hope we get one this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://the72.co.uk/272866/charlton-athletic-set-to-sign-john-marquis-on-a-free-transfer/

If anyone gets past "according to Pete Burns" can they let me know what it says.
  • What is this obsession with saying Marquis will be a decent back up to Stockley? Aneke is the back up for Stockley.

We need quality first 11 players not back up players.

If we sign Marquis we might as well write next season off. He won’t last half a game in front of the Covered End. He’ll be sent on loan in Jan.
  • I think It’s time Rich Cawley came out and denied this rumour as I’m starting to believe it. 😂

I seem to remember reading someone saying they were chatting at the end of year dinner and it was said we wouldn’t go after Stockton because he was too similar to Stockley and Aneke. Surely then Marquis is also under that banner (whilst also being far less good)
  • RC_CAFC said:
    I think It’s time Rich Cawley came out and denied this rumour as I’m starting to believe it. 😂

I seem to remember reading someone saying they were chatting at the end of year dinner and it was said we wouldn’t go after Stockton because he was too similar to Stockley and Aneke. Surely then Marquis is also under that banner (whilst also being far less good)
    Loads of people have asked Cawley on twitter, I haven't seen him comment either way. 
  • What is this obsession with saying Marquis will be a decent back up to Stockley? Aneke is the back up for Stockley.

If we sign Marquis we might as well write next season off. He won’t last half a game in front of the Covered End. He’ll be sent on loan in Jan.

We were told by TS a few weeks ago we're only 2-5 signings off what we need so whilst we need more than 5 quality signings in the next 8 or so weeks to be serious promotion contenders it might not happen.

That was before Washington left too.

We were told by TS a few weeks ago we're only 2-5 signings off what we need so whilst we need more than 5 quality signings in the next 8 or so weeks to be serious promotion contenders it might not happen.

We only have room for 5 or 6 any way. 

He said 2-5 permanents and 5 or 6 loans.
  • Scoham said:
    What is this obsession with saying Marquis will be a decent back up to Stockley? Aneke is the back up for Stockley.

He said 2-5 permanents and 5 or 6 loans.
    Ah ok thanks for correcting.   5 good perms (liverpool in the 70s) and 6 good loans would give me confidence of being contenders if it materialises.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    What is this obsession with saying Marquis will be a decent back up to Stockley? Aneke is the back up for Stockley.

Why’s it an obsession just looks like a logical observation to me.

Stockley is very good and proven at this level and will likely start, but as we all saw last season injuries are common amongst us, so some are drawing the conclusion that we now have 3 to play position if or when the injuries hit again.

Last season we had Burstow and Leko as back up, so looks a good move to me.
  • I think some need a little patience at least.

Weve just cleared out all the deadwood, all the suspects who were rightly ridiculed last season, it’s not even officially the end of 21/22, and the only player we’ve been linked with is a proven league one goal scorer.  

If you want a little boost, go look at our team this time last season, we had a lot less players and the ones we did have were the deadwood we just outed!
  • DOUCHER said:
    we need to be signing players who can improve our first team, not back ups for whats left of it
    We've been smart this time. We literally have no full backs at all so we can't be accused of only signing back ups. Progress!
  • Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Every day that goes without a manager is another day of us not being involved in conversations with players. I don’t care what TS says, we cannot be building a team without a manager in place. 
    Worth waiting a bit longer if it means getting the right manager though.
    👆🏻 This
  • I lied...

• Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Every day that goes without a manager is another day of us not being involved in conversations with players. I don’t care what TS says, we cannot be building a team without a manager in place. 
    Worth waiting a bit longer if it means getting the right manager though.
    I don’t disagree, I’m merely stating facts. 
  • Richard J said:
    I can see the logic in signing Marquis and feel that it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for Washington but as a rotation option for Stockley.

When Sir Alex Ferguson signed future Addick Jesper Blomqvist, it confused many experts because of his similarity to Ryan Giggs. Fergie explained that it was presicely this that made Jesper an attractive signing, so Ryan could be rotated.

I see Marquis providing a similar option for us as an alternative to Stockley. Aneke can then be more of a number 10 sub option as well as providing further cover for the 9. 
    I don't want him rotating into the team because he is rubbish. After finishing 13th I think it's clear we need more first team quality and less squad players. 
  • edited May 2022
    Cawley not completely ruling out Marquis then. His response to the recent speculation: