Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I'm fairly chilled about the Marquis link to be honest. He's a 10 goal a season striker generally, more if he's having a good season which he does every few years. Stockley has been our on-pitch captain all season, was a big signing and is clearly going to be playing as first choice next season. We suffered without him and Chuks should be counted on as an impact sub but not a player who could have an extended run if Stockley is out. If Marquis is being brought in to act as a backup to Stockley in case of injury, with the impact coming from Chuks either way that's not the end of the world. You can't expect much more than a 10 goal a season backup. That's exactly what Washington's level was and that thread's gone for pages with people not sure if he should have been let go. The link might be nonsense and it's still unclear how we'll set up but if he's aware he's there if Stockley is out and not much beyond that then it feels like a logical signing in terms of type.
    Agree. We would definitely need an upgrade on Washington as a replacement as well though Marquis would have to be a Stockley back up not a Washington replacement.
  • Leuth said:
    I'm fairly chilled about the Marquis link to be honest. He's a 10 goal a season striker generally, more if he's having a good season which he does every few years. Stockley has been our on-pitch captain all season, was a big signing and is clearly going to be playing as first choice next season. We suffered without him and Chuks should be counted on as an impact sub but not a player who could have an extended run if Stockley is out. If Marquis is being brought in to act as a backup to Stockley in case of injury, with the impact coming from Chuks either way that's not the end of the world. You can't expect much more than a 10 goal a season backup. That's exactly what Washington's level was and that thread's gone for pages with people not sure if he should have been let go. The link might be nonsense and it's still unclear how we'll set up but if he's aware he's there if Stockley is out and not much beyond that then it feels like a logical signing in terms of type.
    Piss off with your clear-headed thinking. This is clearly the time to panic and whine about absolutely everything 
    You just wait til the new manager plays him up front alongside Stockley.  We'll look like real dicks then
  • Weren't people crying that Washington was leaving because of his goals? 

Marquis has a better goal-scoring record than Washington. Would clearly be a better back-up to Stockley + Aneke than Washington would be. 

Washington's lack of assists shows that Stockley won't miss him either. 
  • Marquis at the Valley wins the award for miss of the season. That was quite awful. I didn't realise it would lead to us chasing him for more of the same.
  • Weren't people crying that Washington was leaving because of his goals? 

Marquis has a better goal-scoring record than Washington. Would clearly be a better back-up to Stockley + Aneke than Washington would be. 

Washington's lack of assists shows that Stockley won't miss him either. 
    How is it clear? Marquis has 68 goals in 202 League 1 appearances, Washington has 49 in 152. Marquis almost certainly played up top throughout that time, Washington has also played out wide. Overall, their goalscoring records are almost identical throughout their careers. 

• Take away him being ex Millwall and all the banter/grief, Marquis is actually an alright player, nothing special by any means but a good squad player for a League One team.

The problem though is that Stockley & Aneke are both better and the same type of player, and you definitely can’t play two of them three together. On that basis any manager would surely much rather have Washington in the squad over Marquis.
  • edited May 2022
    As someone said before, we don't need decent or alright players... We had plenty of those and finished 13th. 
  • Washington is the better player in my opinion but he can only play in a front 2. I think we will be going back to 4-3-3 and then it is probably Marquis that is better for that role. I would hope we are aiming for better though. We need a striker on the same level or better than Stockley and Aneke, if we got one and then Marquis was 4th choice I wouldn’t mind that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Tucker would be a good signing but I think left sided centre backs should be our priority. We have Lavelle, Inniss and Deji for the right, we have no left sided centre backs
  • Tucker was a player i hoped we'd be in for. Centre back, young, good fitness record, free transfer, wages wouldn't be stupid, local lad so would surely prefer to stay close to home.

Fair enough if we got outbid on wages but if we simply weren't in for him at all considering it's an area we badly need to strengthen then again i'd question what the recruitment team are doing.
    We were in for him but always knew that there would be a lot of competition. Was always an unlikely one I think.
  • edited May 2022
    Chunes said:
    As someone said before, we don't need decent or alright players... We had plenty of those and finished 13th. 
    How come they were often described as dog shite and immobile or bench material, including Stockley  and Aneke?
    Why are you asking me? You called Aneke that or worse so you should ask yourself.
  • Early days...  Nice day down here, washed my soiled sheets (CL as always great with advice), and have resigned myself to the club either singing from last summers hymn sheet or re-using last summers transfer script.  Use whatever analogy above but I think it is going to be a painfully slow summer on here.

Now,  let's check if those sheets are dried.
  • Who was it that said about Charlie Austin?
    He was on talksport the other day saying that he is talking to a couple of championship clubs 

• 1 follower account
  • Scoham said:

This has been mentioned before...

Oh only once or twice a week. 

• Sponsored links:

• So just MS then? No scouts? 
  • PopIcon said:
    PWADDICK said:

1 follower account
    Charge your phone ffs!
    It is on charge
  • PopIcon said:
    PWADDICK said:

1 follower account
    Charge your phone ffs!
    Sorry I am old, what does the red circle signify please.
  • Marquis isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone is making out. 3rd/4th choice he's a very good option
    In theory he’d be a decent squad player, but we won’t improve unless the majority of signings are first choices that improve on this seasons squad.
  • PWADDICK said:

1 follower account
    No tweets since being set up last November, 8 tweets relating to lower league rumours today.
  • Scoham said:
    PWADDICK said:

1 follower account
    No tweets since being set up last November, 8 tweets relating to lower league rumours today.
    Everything will have been deleted once disproven
  • Scoham said:
    Marquis isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone is making out. 3rd/4th choice he's a very good option
    In theory he’d be a decent squad player, but we won’t improve unless the majority of signings are first choices that improve on this seasons squad.
    Nail on the head. We have to be signing better than we already have and making those players that are already here the 3rd/4th options.

Filling out a squad with players as good as what we had last season will result in another mid table finish.
  • Chunes said:
    Hear hear.

We have enough "squad" players. What we now need is 3 or 4 "dynamic" ones to get us promoted.