Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Or does Martin Sandgaard suggest specific players?
    I think they both suggest players, but my intuition is that MS suggests more than SG.
  • Strip out Washington's Championship appearances and Marquis's League Two appearances. At L1 level only, Washington has 49 goals in 152 appearances. Marquis has 68 goals in 202 appearances.

Marquis goals per game ratio is marginally better (0.3366 vs 0.3223). Moving away from the comparisons for a second, I would argue his career is already on a downwards slope at the age of 29. He's not wanted by Portsmouth and didn't pull up any trees while at Lincoln. I thought we were meant to be moving away from players that have already played their best football.

EDIT: I forgot to include the 11 appearances, 0 goals Marquis made for Millwall at this level. That makes his record 68 in 213 appearances for 0.3192 average.
    Marquis has more games a season because he never gets injured. 

Washington's goals per game ratio of games he's injured for is 0. Maybe we should start looking at how many games a player plays over a season as a good thing, rather than trying to push down his 'goals per game ratio'. Marquis consistently has scored more goals over seasons than Washington. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    There are something like 300 players we are currently monitoring and assessing.  The club are actually doing stuff and have been for some time.

unfortunately there are things that happen that we know nothing of and have no control over but they still sometimes happen.  What is important is to know we most definitely are working on this.

A lot doesn’t get out into the public domain and the club do get hit over the head with it sometimes.  No we are not perfect but we are nowhere near as inept as some people want to make out.  I just don’t understand the agenda of some!
    The reason people think it's inept is because we have eyes and saw the clusterfuck that happened last summer.

The "data" produced two players that were actually quite good and Kirk.  We were still 5 or 6 players short so we resorted to Gallen begging his mates to lend or recommend players.

If the attitude is well Martin (zero football experience) has replaced Roddy (little recruitment experience) so this time it will be better, well put me down as I will believe it when I see it.
    Everyone has already decided Martin is not bringing anything to the table before he’s had a chance to prove or disprove it though!

Kirk didn’t work because of the formation we played - the issue was more about the lack of joined up thinking between playing and scouting staff.  We relied on stats more than what was practical to the desired formation.

we need a manager in place who has a clear vision and a plan - the rest falls in to place after that point.  Well, That's the thinking anyway
    MS has had significant involvement for a while.
    He blabbed to Connor about his contract. 
    His Dad has been giving him jobs for years.

Carry on thinking all will be rosey!
  • edited May 2022
    Strip out Washington's Championship appearances and Marquis's League Two appearances. At L1 level only, Washington has 49 goals in 152 appearances. Marquis has 68 goals in 202 appearances.

Marquis goals per game ratio is marginally better (0.3366 vs 0.3223). Moving away from the comparisons for a second, I would argue his career is already on a downwards slope at the age of 29. He's not wanted by Portsmouth and didn't pull up any trees while at Lincoln. I thought we were meant to be moving away from players that have already played their best football.

EDIT: I forgot to include the 11 appearances, 0 goals Marquis made for Millwall at this level. That makes his record 68 in 213 appearances for 0.3192 average.

Washington's goals per game ratio of games he's injured for is 0. Maybe we should start looking at how many games a player plays over a season as a good thing, rather than trying to push down his 'goals per game ratio'. Marquis consistently has scored more goals over seasons than Washington. 
    It's obviously important but it's not like we're comparing a 46 game a year player with Ryan Inniss. Washington plays plenty of games per season.

Marquis has had five full seasons at this level. Washington has had four and a half. If you don't like goals per game, let's do goals and appearances per season...

Marquis: 40.4 appearances, 13.6 goals
    Washington: 33.8 appearances, 10.8 goals
    Difference: 6.6 appearances, 2.8 goals

You could argue it's a marginal upgrade based on historical output but we need better than marginal for a first choice option. As already said, I believe Marquis is another player who is about fall off a cliff a la Watson, Gunter, Arter. He's just had a failure of a six months at Lincoln. He's not what we need if we are serious about improving.

Are you comfortable with our four strikers next season being Stockley, Marquis, Aneke and Davison?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    There are something like 300 players we are currently monitoring and assessing.  The club are actually doing stuff and have been for some time.

unfortunately there are things that happen that we know nothing of and have no control over but they still sometimes happen.  What is important is to know we most definitely are working on this.

A lot doesn’t get out into the public domain and the club do get hit over the head with it sometimes.  No we are not perfect but we are nowhere near as inept as some people want to make out.  I just don’t understand the agenda of some!
    The reason people think it's inept is because we have eyes and saw the clusterfuck that happened last summer.

The "data" produced two players that were actually quite good and Kirk.  We were still 5 or 6 players short so we resorted to Gallen begging his mates to lend or recommend players.

If the attitude is well Martin (zero football experience) has replaced Roddy (little recruitment experience) so this time it will be better, well put me down as I will believe it when I see it.
    Everyone has already decided Martin is not bringing anything to the table before he’s had a chance to prove or disprove it though!

Kirk didn’t work because of the formation we played - the issue was more about the lack of joined up thinking between playing and scouting staff.  We relied on stats more than what was practical to the desired formation.

we need a manager in place who has a clear vision and a plan - the rest falls in to place after that point.  Well, That's the thinking anyway

Yes you’re probably right.  We should all take to social media and tell him to fuck off.  That’s bound to have the desired effect.  

Because that’s what plenty of people are doing

people who have no fucking clue about what happens behind the scenes

im sure Thomas wants all the negativity.  I reckon he loves looking at the millions he’s thrown at us only to be told he’s a penniless chancer 

what do people want from the club?  The man paying the bills is going to trust family above anyone else because they aren’t going to stab him in the back at the first opportunity.  As I’ve said many times this club has been in a horrific decline for a number of years with a number of owners - it will take time to get us going in the right direction again but it will take longer as long as the fans want to snipe at EVERYTHING the club does

Well said. 👍
  • Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Yes you’re probably right.  We should all take to social media and tell him to fuck off.  That’s bound to have the desired effect.  

im sure Thomas wants all the negativity.  I reckon he loves looking at the millions he’s thrown at us only to be told he’s a penniless chancer 

what do people want from the club?  The man paying the bills is going to trust family above anyone else because they aren’t going to stab him in the back at the first opportunity.  As I’ve said many times this club has been in a horrific decline for a number of years with a number of owners - it will take time to get us going in the right direction again but it will take longer as long as the fans want to snipe at EVERYTHING the club does

Absolutely on the money. 
    Wasted on closed minds I fear.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

To be fair there is a third way. 

A lot of people don't take a snipe at everything he does and still think the idea of employing anyone, including, Roddy, to head up a recruitment team that has never fucking done the job before is stupid.

Blind faith that Martin is a nice guy and trying really hard, which I am sure are both true, don't cut it for me.  But remember he discovered Fraser who everyone had forgotten about apparently, so it's all good.
    Maybe Roddy played a sizeable role in the Cat 1 academy process. ……

because he did
  • edited May 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Swisdom said:
    supaclive said:
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Absolutely on the money. 
    Wasted on closed minds I fear.
    Well hopefully in the next 8 weeks and coming season will see actions that open our minds. 

People who dig out Sandgaard(s) on Twitter need to reign it in if abusive but questioning competence, decisions, nepotism over qualifications and credibility and a complete failure so far to deliver anywhere close to stated ambitions on a forum doesn't indicate a closed mind.  

Want to be open minded but am very much actions over words especially after last summer and this gone season. 

Hopefully they'll prove me and others wrong as that will be welcome.
  • edited May 2022
    Strip out Washington's Championship appearances and Marquis's League Two appearances. At L1 level only, Washington has 49 goals in 152 appearances. Marquis has 68 goals in 202 appearances.

It's obviously important but it's not like we're comparing a 46 game a year player with Ryan Inniss. Washington plays plenty of games per season.

Marquis has had five full seasons at this level. Washington has had four and a half. If you don't like goals per game, let's do goals and appearances per season...

Marquis: 40.4 appearances, 13.6 goals
    Washington: 33.8 appearances, 10.8 goals
    Difference: 6.6 appearances, 2.8 goals

You could argue it's a marginal upgrade based on historical output but we need better than marginal for a first choice option. As already said, I believe Marquis is another player who is about fall off a cliff a la Watson, Gunter, Arter. He's just had a failure of a six months at Lincoln. He's not what we need if we are serious about improving.

Are you comfortable with our four strikers next season being Stockley, Marquis, Aneke and Davison?
    His failure of a season netted 2 goals less than one of Washington's best seasons? 

His 'failure' at Lincoln with 5 goals is more than Washington since January in that time (4). 

Would I be comfortable with our four strikers being those? No of course not. 

Am I going to cry that Thomas has dumped Washington and pretty much got an upgrade? No. 

Davison will be sold and we'll get a striker to rival/start ahead of Stockley in an ideal world. 
  • Sage said:
    Marquis doesn’t fit the criteria for me. He’s 30 next week, he doesn’t improve our first 11, he won’t be good enough for the league above, and is he an upgrade on Washington? Not in my eyes.

Lots of work the club are doing but I just can’t see any of it coming to fruition until we have a manager in place as any player in their right mind would not join a club before they know who the manager is and they’ve had a conversation of how they fit into the plans, not how the owner thinks they fit in. 
    Maybe we are going to get all the players then they can have a chat with the manager and tell him how they all fit in?
  • Is Matt Jay (Exeter) worth looking at if we bring in Taylor?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Matt Jay (Exeter) worth looking at if we bring in Taylor?
    If Taylor thinks so, yes.  If not no.  If we get Taylor.  :-)
  • seth plum said:
    I think they both suggest players, but my intuition is that MS suggests more than SG.
    Reading the Cawley tweet this is my take on it. That reads like MS is identifying the players then SG is negotiating the contracts presumably after TS rubber stamps it.
  • edited May 2022
  • Swisdom said:

Thanks Martin. Good to have it cleared up.
  • seth plum said:
    Reading the Cawley tweet this is my take on it. That reads like MS is identifying the players then SG is negotiating the contracts presumably after TS rubber stamps it.
    Indeed.

This is why I posted that Rich Cawley's words had confirmed what SOME of us on here had already surmised. 

I wonder whether any Lifers still think this is pure speculation ? 
  • Chunes said:
    seth plum said:
    Indeed.

This is why I posted that Rich Cawley's words had confirmed what SOME of us on here had already surmised. 

I wonder whether any Lifers still think this is pure speculation ? 
    This system was described in public a few times by TS, one of which I believe was the CAST zoom call, also a fan's forum? Cawley didn't 'out' it, they've been quite honest about how it works. 
    OK, I stand corrected. 

TBH, I view this "modern" method of player recruitment very concerning &, as such, it's possibly become my bete noire - to the extent that I have a tendency to "jump in" at the slightest mention. 

The fact that it is the modus operandi conducted by someone with minimal experience, or indeed knowledge, of the game increases my concern exponentially. 

However, I don't believe I'm alone in questioning whether this is in fact happening at our club, regardless of whether it has been confirmed " a few times" before.

I refer to the previous 2 comments, posted by @eaststandmike and @seth plum who I'm pretty sure are far more attentive & knowledgeable than me.  

But, as someone once held in high regard on here, said, it is what it is and only time will tell whether it's the best thing since sliced bread & a fantastic way of identifying those lads who will make all the difference to our squad, or whether, as Tommy D was told in no uncertain terms only a couple of years ago, "What the feck!!".
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think we're in he same place on principle, but it's just use of the word owe that I don't really agree with. We did something that helped him, with the hopeful effect that it would benefit us down the line but knowing that we might get nothing out of it other than helping an employee out. I don't think Jake 'owes' us in terms of an obligation bing put on him, I think he's free to make that decision and you hope that the support he received makes him want to give back. He may feel that he owes us but that's something he generates for himself.
    The bottom line - he didn’t have to sign the contract which allowed this to happen. If he thought we’d get him through his rehab, pay him for not playing and then let him walk, he’s utterly deluded. If he is unhappy about this turn of events ( and we only have here say evidence of that), then the only person he can blame is himself. 
    Tbf we are on our third (as yet unappointed) manager since he signed it. 
    Sadly we are not quite on our third manager yet and if the rumour about J F-K is true perhaps that is part of the reason. Who is it going to be ?
    That there was a second shooter?
    Does Sparrows Lane have a grassy knoll?