Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Who was it that said about Charlie Austin?
  • If it was 2017 i wouldn't mind signing Marquis but the guy has got 9 goals in 2 years. I can't believe we'd be seriously looking at signing him.

We don't need a Stockley replacement because we have Aneke and also Davison is a lump as well. Why would we need 4 strikers who are all over 6ft? Perhaps the new manager will be John Beck.
  • If it was 2017 i wouldn't mind signing Marquis but the guy has got 9 goals in 2 years. I can't believe we'd be seriously looking at signing him.

We don't need a Stockley replacement because we have Aneke and also Davison is a lump as well. Why would we need 4 strikers who are all over 6ft? Perhaps the new manager will be John Beck.
    Or perhaps Stockley is on his way out along with Davison (extension only activated so we get a fee?).
  • edited May 2022
    If it was 2017 i wouldn't mind signing Marquis but the guy has got 9 goals in 2 years. I can't believe we'd be seriously looking at signing him.

The black box is designed to find players forgotten after falling off the radar for a while but with decent previous stats = John Marquis.
  • Scoham said:
    If it was 2017 i wouldn't mind signing Marquis but the guy has got 9 goals in 2 years. I can't believe we'd be seriously looking at signing him.

Or perhaps Stockley is on his way out along with Davison (extension only activated so we get a fee?).
    And even if that is true i still wouldn't be looking to sign a striker who had a shit goalscoring record for a team we finished above, and a worse record than the striker we've just released.
  • Scoham said:

And even if that is true i still wouldn't be looking to sign a striker who had a shit goalscoring record for a team we finished above, and a worse record than the striker we've just released.
    Agree, I hope the majority of signings are first choices who improve on what we have, not back ups or like for like.
  • Cawley’s heard Marquis is a player we’ve considered.

• Anyone know a good dry cleaner that does bedding? 
  • Richard J said:
    I can see the logic in signing Marquis and feel that it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for Washington but as a rotation option for Stockley.

When Sir Alex Ferguson signed future Addick Jesper Blomqvist, it confused many experts because of his similarity to Ryan Giggs. Fergie explained that it was presicely this that made Jesper an attractive signing, so Ryan could be rotated.

I see Marquis providing a similar option for us as an alternative to Stockley. Aneke can then be more of a number 10 sub option as well as providing further cover for the 9. 
    For him to be bought as a replacement option he’d have to be a) cheap, and b) on a relatively low wage. He’d also have to be happy to be number two choice at 9. 
    Can’t see it myself, but I’ll probably be proved wrong. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Cawley’s heard Marquis is a player we’ve considered.

Not sure what to think of that. If true, it feels like we're heading for a repeat of last season.
  • Scoham said:
    Cawley’s heard Marquis is a player we’ve considered.

That says to me no one at the club is briefing Cawley, funny that.
  • Jack Tucker

• If Marquis is under consideration then I’d hope Steve Gallen knocks it into touch. If SG seriously thinks that Marquis is going to get us promotion then perhaps SG needs to be replaced too. It would be an outrageous declaration of mediocrity.
  • edited May 2022
    cfgs said:
    Jack Tucker

Was one I was hoping we'd be after, sure a lot of people would say the same.
  • To be fair, Marquis provided me with one of my favourite moments at The Valley. The little blub, right after the playoff semi final penalty shoot out. 
  • cfgs said:
    Jack Tucker

Interesting they were close to Boyle.  Can't see them taking both.  I would for us though.
  • cfgs said:
    Jack Tucker

Flippin Heck,Tucker 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Marquis is under consideration then I’d hope Steve Gallen knocks it into touch. If SG seriously thinks that Marquis is going to get us promotion then perhaps SG needs to be replaced too. It would be an outrageous declaration of mediocrity.
    This x10000
  • Letting Washington go and bringing Marquis in (if true) is madness. 
    Pompey fans absolutely hate him. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    The true picture will only be clear in a couple of months.

If the Marquis rumour is true then I’ll not have an issue with it providing he is here as a 4th choice striker behind Stockley. We were so lacking when Stockley got injured last season and realistically we’re not going to get much better as a 4th choice striker in this league. His recent couple of years do seem to have been a decline however.

If he’s coming to play and others are going then I’ll be concerned.
    This. If we are expecting loan signing these don’t normally arrive until late in the window after teams have been knocked out the league cup. 

First game of pre season is when I will make an initial assessment. 
  • cfgs said:
    Jack Tucker

Was one I was hoping we'd be after, sire a lot of people would say the same.
    Verily
  • Tucker was a player i hoped we'd be in for. Centre back, young, good fitness record, free transfer, wages wouldn't be stupid, local lad so would surely prefer to stay close to home.

Fair enough if we got outbid on wages but if we simply weren't in for him at all considering it's an area we badly need to strengthen then again i'd question what the recruitment team are doing.
    Not quite, due to his age, will be a fee/compensation.

But would have been reasonable.
    What makes you think that SG has the casting vote in the recruitment team ? 
  • I'm fairly chilled about the Marquis link to be honest. He's a 10 goal a season striker generally, more if he's having a good season which he does every few years. Stockley has been our on-pitch captain all season, was a big signing and is clearly going to be playing as first choice next season. We suffered without him and Chuks should be counted on as an impact sub but not a player who could have an extended run if Stockley is out. If Marquis is being brought in to act as a backup to Stockley in case of injury, with the impact coming from Chuks either way that's not the end of the world. You can't expect much more than a 10 goal a season backup. That's exactly what Washington's level was and that thread's gone for pages with people not sure if he should have been let go. The link might be nonsense and it's still unclear how we'll set up but if he's aware he's there if Stockley is out and not much beyond that then it feels like a logical signing in terms of type.
  • Valley11 said:
    Letting Washington go and bringing Marquis in (if true) is madness. 
    Pompey fans absolutely hate him. 
    Pompey fans also loved mcflappy