Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• First backward step of summer Washington downgrade to Marquis 
    Let’s look at this then seen they’re both the same age.

Washington 49 league one goals in 153 games.  Return of 32%
    Marquis 68 league one goals in 202 games.  Return of 34%

If you’re comparing goals, it’s not a downgrade, it’s a slight upgrade.  Maybe Washington doesn’t want to be here anymore?  Maybe Marquis just had a poor season with Lincoln?  Who knows, I’ve always felt Marquis is a hard worker and tough competitor, I don’t mind this move for us.

If you’re comparing goals, it’s not a downgrade, it’s a slight upgrade.  Maybe Washington doesn’t want to be here anymore?  Maybe Marquis just had a poor season with Lincoln?  Who knows, I’ve always felt Marquis is a hard worker and tough competitor, I don’t mind this move for us.

Wiki said he scored 5 in 20 for Lincoln. That isn't awful but not enough to get me excited.

• edited May 2022
    First backward step of summer Washington downgrade to Marquis 

I have no idea if we are signing Marquis or not but of we do a front two of Marquis and Stockley doesn't scream attacking, high pressing football, does it.

If we end up replacing Stockley and Washington with Marquis and A N Other, the other one needs to be Haaland or Mbappa.
  • Scoham said:
    It’s pretty wanky to be one of them “I told you so” types on a forum, but I remember picking up excessive amounts of lol’s for suggesting we go for Alfie May back in January AND a short few weeks ago.

It ticked so many boxes for us!  Now he’s gonna bench warm for a northern championship club Thomas.

Is that a reliable account? They’ve also tweeted that we’re signing Marquis, presumably based on the original tweet from that other account with 3 followers.
    It is yes followed by a couple of sky accounts.

But not an upgrade enough to make a difference. 
  • To the various replies, appreciated.  But I’m not saying Marquis replacing Washington is going to set the world alight I’m saying it’s not a downgrade.
  • Bailey said:

True pal.  However I don’t think strikers are a problem, I think injured ones are, like when we had our first 3 choices out all at once!
  • Scoham said:
    It’s pretty wanky to be one of them “I told you so” types on a forum, but I remember picking up excessive amounts of lol’s for suggesting we go for Alfie May back in January AND a short few weeks ago.

It ticked so many boxes for us!  Now he’s gonna bench warm for a northern championship club Thomas.

Is that a reliable account? They’ve also tweeted that we’re signing Marquis, presumably based on the original tweet from that other account with 3 followers.
    Which Sky accounts? Official ones?
  • edited May 2022
    Maquis is most definately a 'Love to hate' player for oppo fans. If oppo fans continue to hate him, it will be because he is doing a job for us. Conversely, if our fans continue to give him the dogs, it will be otherwise. Always felt underwhelmed by him elsewhere. A journeyman that seems too close to Stockley for me. Wonder who will be a nippy striker to add as, Stockley, Marquis, Aneke and Davison, are about as mobile as an egg and spoon race in an old peoples home and will just about put the fear of god in a U8's team
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Apologies, former sky should have said, Peter O’Rourke and one other I can’t find now, but I remember this account being bang on previous also.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:

2% better return rate. 

2%

TWO PERCENT! HE IS ONE OF US!
  • edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Apologies, former sky should have said, Peter O’Rourke and one other I can’t find now, but I remember this account being bang on previous also.  
    Fair enough, though I do wonder if they genuinely have inside info or they spend all day on Twitter finding and sharing rumours. Marquis looks like an example of that.

Do it enough times and you’ll get a decent percentage right making you appear reliable.

I’d be very surprised if May hasn’t at least been considered.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I have no idea if we are signing Marquis or not but of we do a front two of Marquis and Stockley doesn't scream attacking, high pressing football, does it.

If we end up replacing Stockley and Washington with Marquis and A N Other, the other one needs to be Haaland or Mbappa.
    Tbf I'd take Harry Kane or Lewandowski also, gotta be realistic 
  • I can see the logic in signing Marquis and feel that it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for Washington but as a rotation option for Stockley.

When Sir Alex Ferguson signed future Addick Jesper Blomqvist, it confused many experts because of his similarity to Ryan Giggs. Fergie explained that it was presicely this that made Jesper an attractive signing, so Ryan could be rotated.

I see Marquis providing a similar option for us as an alternative to Stockley. Aneke can then be more of a number 10 sub option as well as providing further cover for the 9. 
  • Tbf you can never tell what a player is going to turn out like. Look at our recent dealings, CBT arrived without fanfare and with the exception of Dobson is without doubt our best signing. Kirk was trumpeted as a massive scoop but.. well we all know what happened. All we can do is see who signs and see how they perform for us
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Can't see it happening on Erling as he signed for Man City yesterday.  They were always going to have the advantage over us whilst we are without a confirmed manager sadly.  
  • I would love to think that for next season to start off with, that at least two of our developed players are match day squad fixtures. Names highest up are Harness, Elewere, Henry, Kanu, and Campbell in my view…but there are others.
    I would like it to be more, certainly more compared to a Watson. Watson was waxed lyrically about by Sandgaard when he arrived, but at the time I thought who has he been listening to?
    I understand that Sandgaard in a fit of innocent inexperienced enthusiasm thought up Ronnie Schwartz all by himself, but Watson?
    There has been little talk on this thread of the influence and persuasive nature of agents. But I think that everybody, even Sandgaard and Gallen, is open to a kind of seduction by a clever agent. Agents are around because they can be effective, not only because they step in when deals for their players are in the final stages.
    I also believe agents are contacted by football people who ask if they have any goalkeepers on their books, or strikers and suchlike.
  • Richard J said:
    I can see the logic in signing Marquis and feel that it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for Washington but as a rotation option for Stockley.

When Sir Alex Ferguson signed future Addick Jesper Blomqvist, it confused many experts because of his similarity to Ryan Giggs. Fergie explained that it was presicely this that made Jesper an attractive signing, so Ryan could be rotated.

I see Marquis providing a similar option for us as an alternative to Stockley. Aneke can then be more of a number 10 sub option as well as providing further cover for the 9. 
    Exactly my thoughts
  • Richard J said:
    I can see the logic in signing Marquis and feel that it shouldn't be seen as a replacement for Washington but as a rotation option for Stockley.

Agree with this, Marquis is more like Stockley than Washington.  If we’re in a 433 next season our options if it happens (Stockley/Aneke/Marquis) are decent at this level.  

We forget that we only looked crap upfront last season when all our forwards were injured at once, so having Marquis as back up to Stockley and Aneke as the impact man is good.  Stockley can reach 20 plus easily IMO if he avoids long term injury, and he could do that with back up coming in when he’s leggy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be surprised and disappointed with Marquis.
    Me too if he's seen as first or second choice. 3rd choice maybe...
  • edited May 2022
    Don't have an issue with Marquis if he is coming in as back-up to Stockley. He has a decent pedigree at this level. Looked very good for Doncaster and had a couple of decent seasons at Portsmouth. Gone off the boil recently, but not sure how many games he started for Portsmouth last year or how many of his 20 appearances for Lincoln were as a sub. 

IMO people are slightly prejudiced against him after the "clash" with our fans in the play off game.

Not a signing to get the pulse rate up, but a decent squad addition. We need a number of players and he is an ok start (if its true)
  • Still not buying the Marquis rumour myself. Came from a Twitter account created this month, with the name Pete Burns. Everything else since has jumped on that bandwagon rather than having any new information to add IMO.

The same account has only posted one other rumour (Rudoni to QPR) and that’s it. Everything else is retweets or likes of other reputable sources.

If someone like Cawley confirms a link there, then I’ll believe it.
    Pete Burns ‘Journo’ don’t you mean!
  • jams said:
    Sorry if I've missed it but what's the basis for stockley to Wigan ?
    Stockley not going .. not sure where them stories have come from 
    Conor Washington, I suspect.
  • Marquis is a poor mans Stockley. Geezer is not up to it. 
  • Crusty54 said:
    It seems John Marquis has passed a medical at Sparrows Lane and will sign later today.

• It’s pretty wanky to be one of them “I told you so” types on a forum, but I remember picking up excessive amounts of lol’s for suggesting we go for Alfie May back in January AND a short few weeks ago.

We would have had zero chance of getting Alife May in January. He's an arrogant little man but he was having a very good season at Cheltenham in what was a historically good year for them and they wouldn't have let him go for almost any amount of money. At the end of January he got talked up by Guardiola and it was clear he'd be off, but it was always going to be at the end of the season.
  • Maybe he might be a Stockley alternative.

Signings don't come through the door in the order that your team needs that player.