Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Would be great to have an actual rumour at some stage. 🤞
    It is mid May
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This thread is just gonna be people moaning until September isn’t it. Lovely stuff.
    Not unless we get 5 or 6 quality signings in the door by the 1st of July........

So yes it will be.
    Bold of you to assume the moaning will stop if we make good signings. It'll still be people complaining that their mate's speculative CVs weren't responded to or moaning about Addicks To Victory or twisting that Curbs is only employed to analyse matches on an in-house TV service rather than Director of Football, a role for which is has no experience (which we seem to get very upset about in other circumstances). This place will moan no matter what happens because that's what the internet does now.
    All that is true but there is also some reasoned debate, useful insight and balanced views.

They can sometimes be hard to find as they have to occasionally/often swim against a tidal wave of negativity and repetition but they are there.

There is also blind OTT optimism and unrealistic expectations to contend with but I still think CL is far more measured and informative than any other site.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It is mid May
    I believe this one.
    I dont... I thought he was called Alfie May
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Ebou Adams, Forrest Green to Cardif = Done deal
    Local lad - born in Greenwich, Dartford academy player. His first big move from Dartford to Norwich didn't work out, and he ended up working his way back up the pyramid via Ebbsfleet and FGR.
  • Options
    Is Max Watters worth enquiring about???
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Wrong thread.
  • Options
    I want to be a scout for Charlton and have few spare hours each evening for £8 per hour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    It’s not an ideal situation with all the nepotism etc but it is what it is. 

No point getting your knickers in a twist over something that isn’t going to change. Besides that, we shouldn’t judge the merits of the new recruitment set-up before we see the results. If some are to be believed, the analysts uncovered Dobson and Clare while our traditional scouting gave us Arter and Souare.

Reading between lines, being a ‘director of analytics’ suggests to me that there are some contracted analysts reporting to him, rather than Martin doing the analysis himself. 

Didn’t we stumble upon a bloke based in Australia that had Chelsea analyst on his CV or did I imagine it?

My best guess is that there are 2-4 more of these types doing the actual analysis and sharing their reports with Martin who brings them to the leadership group for further discussion.

At least, that’s what I hope is happening. The way I see it, Thomas is two things: eccentric & stubborn (he proved both by buying the club in the first place) but I’d like to believe he’s not so mad that he’d burn all his cash on a flailing third tier team.

He’s losing almost eight figures per year and I doubt that’s just so his son can play Football Manager in real life. 

We have a couple of analysts that hes in charge of, regardless of whether or not Martin carries out actual analysis himself, hes still the main driver at the head of the data recruitment team, I´ll imagine he has a big say in what happens there (he does, again the roles and process has been laid out many many many times already) the alternative would be that he simply does nothing but spin around in his chair all day carrying data reports to Gallen and Tommy. 

But as usual the main point of concern is conveniently missed, we know MS level of involvement in the recruitment process, like Ged "worst thing that ever happened to charlton" Roddy, as a director involved in recruitment - where he carries out both the data and physical scouting of players- he happens to be one of the leadership group and key decision makers. He might be a great data analyst, that doesnt make him a great scout. 

The last few months plenty of people were saying Jackson needs the summer to get his own players in, apparently plenty of things are happening behind the scenes that we know fuck all about tracking 300 players, so, here we are, releasing, scouting and planning a summer recruitment with (currently) no (and eventually some) input from the person who needs to manage them. 

Martin Sandgaard might actually be the worlds bestest greatest scout, but if the manager doesn't want those players, whats the point?  

More Rocket Ronnies being paid off 6 months into their contracts because having a good goal scoring record in one league abroad doesn't mean they will in another? More expensive Charlie Kirk flops? More Managers having heated talks with the ownership? 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    This thread is just gonna be people moaning until September isn’t it. Lovely stuff.
    Not unless we get 5 or 6 quality signings in the door by the 1st of July........

So yes it will be.
    You mean like Clair and Dobson? I think it unlikely that there will be agreement on who are good.
  • Options
    Anyway, enough about Marty and recruitment.

ANOUNCE MARQUIS
  • Options
    I wonder how the reactions of our fan base on social media and services like LinkedIn may affect our recruitment plans? JJ’s exit has been accepted, even applauded by many, while some (including myself) are disappointed. I am not on Twitter but my lad tells me that it is not a light place on there for TS. That combined with a clearer impression that recruitment choices are actually in the hands of MS, which has also received a mixed reaction, and perhaps more WTF responses than JJ’s exit, will or won’t influence recruitment?

Fans’ general questions appear to be around how can players be targeted and recruited without management’s input and sign off? I think that is a very fair question and we are in the real World, not playing FM2022-23, after all, so will TS press on and prove that the impression we are getting is that the coach has to like and lump the players provided and bear all of the blow back risk (TS/MS) if this summer’s recruitment does not prove itself sufficient for a proper promotion challenge, or does he ‘tactically’ and in a smoke and mirror fashion await the arrival of our next coach (used deliberately) to ready a scapegoat in case the recruitment plans do not work out? Yes, playing style, contending with the bloody ‘low block’ tactic etc., are all additional factors, but you can’t build walls with knives and forks, so, our recruitment is probably the most important factor to help us succeed.

Whatever happens my biggest concern is that there is a firm belief that we have a strong core already which needs to be supplemented to have a real push next season. I got this impression from quite a few I spoke to at the POTY dinner. If a real core is defined by Dobson, a consistent CBT, Clare, an injury free JFC, Stockley and an off the bench Aneke, there may be a little bit of substance in the belief, but I think the upgrading required is far greater than envisaged and the very good signings of Dobson, Clare and CBT have given our owners an unjustified view through huge rose tinted glasses.

Back to my first observation/question, I think we will be waiting until a coach is hired before new players start to materialise, that could be a while yet. It will be very ballsy to do it any other way IMHO…
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It’s not an ideal situation with all the nepotism etc but it is what it is. 

No point getting your knickers in a twist over something that isn’t going to change. Besides that, we shouldn’t judge the merits of the new recruitment set-up before we see the results. If some are to be believed, the analysts uncovered Dobson and Clare while our traditional scouting gave us Arter and Souare.

Reading between lines, being a ‘director of analytics’ suggests to me that there are some contracted analysts reporting to him, rather than Martin doing the analysis himself. 

Didn’t we stumble upon a bloke based in Australia that had Chelsea analyst on his CV or did I imagine it?

My best guess is that there are 2-4 more of these types doing the actual analysis and sharing their reports with Martin who brings them to the leadership group for further discussion.

At least, that’s what I hope is happening. The way I see it, Thomas is two things: eccentric & stubborn (he proved both by buying the club in the first place) but I’d like to believe he’s not so mad that he’d burn all his cash on a flailing third tier team.

He’s losing almost eight figures per year and I doubt that’s just so his son can play Football Manager in real life. 
    We have at least two recruitment analysts.

Aaron Barnes, our former academy player who also plays for Welling.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaron-barnes-8b1711130

Ruben Sammut, ex Chelsea academy who until last year played for Dulwich Hamlet
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ruben-sammut-67292712a

Ruben claims on his profile we have a small team of scouts. I can’t find any other first team analysts or scouts on LinkedIn so that might be it, but of course not everyone has a profile.

Dan Pelchen built the original algorithm but if his LinkedIn is up to date it suggests he’s not permanently employed by the club.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6139d07e655f0/in-depth-summer-transfer-window-2021
    You’re forgetting Ackworth. 
  • Options
    Stand down. We were looking at a new Marquee for Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    Was at the Valley yesterday.

Trial match going on. Couldn't get a team sheet so no names.

Pic taken from museum annex
    There looks to be 22 Chris Solly's on the pitch from what I can make out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Peterborough have made Jorge Grant available for transfer. Also Christy Pym, Mark Beevers, Idris Kanu and Ryan Broom.

No real idea how Grant did this season in the Championship? But he was pivotal as part of Lincoln's play-off team...
    Full Posh released and retained list.

https://www.theposh.com/news/posh-confirm-retained-list

retained
    Watching Posh's final game of the season, if they keep Clarke-Harris, Szmodics and Marriott they'll destroy L1 defences next season.
    I saw C-H in the Scum-Posh game a couple of weeks ago. Looked a bit of a donkey. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cfgs said:
    Call me a mad adventurous fool but with the right players around them CBT could be the forward thinking overlapping fullback Kirk needs.

Although we may end conceding she'd loads it would be fun.
    Wouldn't you want a left footed player on that side somewhere? 
    Enough with the hidebound, conventional thinking already. 
  • Options

You dont need a team sheet. Easy enough to know Martin Sandgaard is playing up top as Washington replacement.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It is mid May
    I think that’s more fact than rumour. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Peterborough have made Jorge Grant available for transfer. Also Christy Pym, Mark Beevers, Idris Kanu and Ryan Broom.

No real idea how Grant did this season in the Championship? But he was pivotal as part of Lincoln's play-off team...
    Full Posh released and retained list.

https://www.theposh.com/news/posh-confirm-retained-list

retained
    Watching Posh's final game of the season, if they keep Clarke-Harris, Szmodics and Marriott they'll destroy L1 defences next season.
    I saw C-H in the Scum-Posh game a couple of weeks ago. Looked a bit of a donkey. 
    And we tired to sign Szmodics in Jan… now they most likey will want to keep him 

• Options
    edited May 2022

Does that suggest a manager is in place assessing the players perhaps.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It is mid May
    Source?
  • Options

Does that suggest a manager is in place assessing the players perhaps.

At the very least it suggests to me that we are running the rule over prospective free agents, unless clubs have given permission…