Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Redhenry said:
    CB for me. Not sure about Lavelle and Innis will probably be injured for a time.
    Lavelle does look like he is running on water
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Stockton is essentially doing a Lyle Taylor to Morcambe, off the back of one good season, and people are still clamouring for him. 
    I don't see him refusing to play in a relegation fight, using covid as an excuse whilst his team mates tried to battle on to the end. 
    Have a look at the Morcambe reaction to see if they feel he is doing right by them. It does not matter the circumstances he’s still seemingly refusing to play so he can get a move, which is exactly what Taylor did. 

The points Morcambe could potentially be dropping now because he’s not playing could effect them towards the end of the year - time will tell.

Garner has spoken extensively in interviews about how he wants the right character in the team. Does this sound like the right sort of character to people?
  • Wasn't Lavelle a backup choice after we didn't get Jason Kerr who went to Wigan? Would like a left footed CB that could slide out to LB in an emergency if needed. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Wasn't Lavelle a backup choice after we didn't get Jason Kerr who went to Wigan? Would like a left footed CB that could slide out to LB in an emergency if needed. 
    Yes believe this to be correct, Kerr transfer was on, then off, then back on, then off right at the end.. We did try to get Lavelle earlier in the window for cheaper, but ended up paying a bit more. 

I think he is a decent player, but nothing outstanding, more of a back-up! 
  • Cannot wait for Chuks to bang some goals in when he is back just to shut 1956 up for a while.
    I cannot wait either but frankly the number of appearances to injuries is almost the same si ce January.  9 appearances  in 6 months and still no idea when he may put a toe over the line. 4 goals in 6 months is no good for a promotion hopeful like us. 

Others think the same but it is me again you go for. Why ? Do you think 9 games in six months  is OK especially when quite a few were cameos that required me to get out a photo to recognise him.
    Because you just go on and on about it. Everybody gets it, you’re extremely tired at Aneke’s injury issues. Do you really have to repeat it every day? 
    Only because people keep banging on about how effective  he is and when he cines back etc , etc....
    Logic says it will take a miracle for that to happen soon. Besides which when he came back and then got injured in short order I got pelters because I said I expected that. 

He is not the Messiah and to even get on the bench he needs to be much fitter than now.

Put simply do you or anyone else on here really  think he can keep up with the pace and exertion of Garner Ball.

Having said that Bowyer despaired of Morgan bothering if we were under pressure.  This year he seems to be a revelation compared to that Morgan.

I know others on here think the same so ho and bang on at them instead but please don't  say that the lastv6 or 7 months have revealed a super fit Aneke because bthey haven't  so far.

That's fine. Aneke divides opinion, let's see how he does when he is back. Until then, if you fancy laying off him for a day or two you might not get so much stick. 
  • edited August 2022
    Nothing but pure speculation on my part but it’s weird that there has been no serious links with Stockton from any of the league’s front runners. One season wonder or not, he was good enough last season that teams must be looking at him. I read it that they’re being put off by the price Morecambe are asking but I’d be duty if there have not been lots of enquiries for him.

Depending how you read Garner’s comments, he alluded that someone needs to shift on their demands for us to sign a striker. 

We’re at the time in the window where selling clubs start to soften and buying clubs get a bit more urgent. The middle ground will get found on lots of potential negotiations that might have come to a stand still a week or more ago. 

It might be 2+2=5 but I wouldn’t be shocked if Stockton to us (and a few other teams with promotion ambitions) would fall into that category. 
    I can't help thinking that a striker who knows where the goal, like Stockton has proven to be at a 'small' club, might just score shed loads in the attacking format we played against Plymouth. Assuming we only have to trump Fleetwood's £100k offer, something like £150k feels like a relatively small financial outlay with, potentially, massive gains at stake. For me, the most important consideration with him is whether he is genuinely up for a move down south as we risk another 'Ronnie Schwartz' situation if not.
  • Would love someone like Ryan Tafazolli from Wycombe. CB, left footed, leader. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just watch as Gilbey goes to L2 and smashes it. We all get told we should have kept him as he struggles in a newly promoted side. 
    What, like when Elliot Lee went to Wrexham a few months ago.

”he will take liberties in the National League “
    ”He will be a fucking cheat code”
    ”Best player in that league “

Been subbed off in the last two games well before the end
  • edited August 2022
    Feel Lavelle is getting unfair treatment a little. He looks solid when he plays..okay he isnt the fastest but he is good in the air and a good leader. 

With Innis, Lavelle and O'Connell + 1 more I think we have a solid CB partnership. 
    I feel like he is a solid League One CB. I also agree that he doesn't have anything in his locker that makes him stand out, he never gets you out of your chair with a great bit of defending. But he's not a liability by any means. 
  • clive said:
    Glad he has gone out on loan.  Needs the games at adult level.  Shame it is the same level as last year.  Hoped he might get National League.  TA seem to have started quite well so hopefully lots of chances to score and impress.

• clive said:
    Glad he has gone out on loan.  Needs the games at adult level.  Shame it is the same level as last year.  Hoped he might get National League.  TA seem to have started quite well so hopefully lots of chances to score and impress.

Looks a good player and physically strong. 
  • Redhenry said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    CB for me. Not sure about Lavelle and Innis will probably be injured for a time.
    Not sure who signed him. He's not big, slow and doesn't look comfortable on the ball. This shows even more, now we have O'Connell.
    Probably why we are looking for another.
    Decent squad player in league 1.
    Second this. I think he's fine. I don't think he's worth a fee. I don't really understand that signing. 
  • Chunes said:
    Feel Lavelle is getting unfair treatment a little. He looks solid when he plays..okay he isnt the fastest but he is good in the air and a good leader. 

With Innis, Lavelle and O'Connell + 1 more I think we have a solid CB partnership. 
    I feel like he is a solid League One CB. I also agree that he doesn't have anything in his locker that makes him stand out, he never gets you out of your chair with a great bit of defending. But he's not a liability by any means. 

Within 60 seconds of the Plymouth match he'd dived in as a Plymouth attacker easily rounded him and walked into our box so he can certainly be a liability. He's definitely just a midrange L1 centre back so huge potential for an upgrade
  • mendonca said:
    Out of interest, do you all think we should be targeting a centre forward or somebody who can play in the middle and out wide?
    A centre forward plain & simple. A finisher. A poacher. 

• edited August 2022
    mendonca said:
    Out of interest, do you all think we should be targeting a centre forward or somebody who can play in the middle and out wide?
    A centre forward plain & simple. A finisher. A poacher. 

Nippy? 

Haven't they actually got to be able to play on their own as well?  I would say, in this system, there all round play is as important, if not more import, than just weight of goals.
  • Chunes said:

Didn't say he was a liability. Just not a top league 1 CB
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    Not sure who signed him. He's not big, slow and doesn't look comfortable on the ball. This shows even more, now we have O'Connell.
    Probably why we are looking for another.
    Decent squad player in league 1.
    Both you two know more about the inner workings than most so maybe know or see things I don’t, but I think Lavelle is a really decent cb at the level. He did well when he got back to fitness last season.

And if we just base him on the games he’s played this season, he’s done really well against Championship opposition (although calling Bonne Championship level is admittedly a stretch), and against Plymouth. 

Am very happy for him to be one of our 4 cb’s this year.
    No one is saying he is a bad player, just not outstanding, and not good enough to be first choice, but I think he is a good back up player. he will also grab a goal or two during the season
  • clive said:

Agreed. It's a bit concerning for his career prospects that no NL clubs came in for him, especially with the close links we seem to have with Wealdstone now
  • Lavelle is our Matt Taylor for this season, probably not in the starting 2 centre backs, but solid, and reliable cover when called upon...
    Taylor was first choice the year we won the league alongside MM. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Stockton is essentially doing a Lyle Taylor to Morcambe, off the back of one good season, and people are still clamouring for him. 
    I don't see him refusing to play in a relegation fight, using covid as an excuse whilst his team mates tried to battle on to the end. 
    Have a look at the Morcambe reaction to see if they feel he is doing right by them. It does not matter the circumstances he’s still seemingly refusing to play so he can get a move, which is exactly what Taylor did. 

The points Morcambe could potentially be dropping now because he’s not playing could effect them towards the end of the year - time will tell.

Garner has spoken extensively in interviews about how he wants the right character in the team. Does this sound like the right sort of character to people?
    This seems a common tactic these days. Last year  Stanley forward did this and got a January move to Bolton. 

I think they actually get paid whilst downing tools. This is clearly wrong if true... stop paying the buggers....they signed a contract and expect the club to honour it.

One of the reasons I like Innis is that when injured he invested time in the club and the community.  Players like that are worth keeping . The right attitude is ways a plus in the dressing room. 

I wonder why you don't have the same issue with Innis that you have with Aneke, Inniss has been injured and unavailable for far more games during his charlton career than Aneke has...
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Lavelle is our Matt Taylor for this season, probably not in the starting 2 centre backs, but solid, and reliable cover when called upon...
    Taylor was first choice the year we won the league alongside MM. 
    True, for some reason I must be remembering the 12/13 season. In that case, Lavelle is our Matt Taylor from the 12/13 season.
  • Nobody is saying that Lavelle is terrible, it's more that he hasn't stood out as being anything other than a reasonable CB. He's a bit like Matt Taylor in 2011/12, who was decent enough but lost his place when Leon Cort arrived.

• I’m hoping the CB we bring in is a first choice player rather than cover, get the right player and it could really strengthen us.
  • Nobody is saying that Lavelle is terrible, it's more that he hasn't stood out as being anything other than a reasonable CB. He's a bit like Matt Taylor in 2011/12, who was decent enough but lost his place when Leon Cort arrived.

Agrees he’s similar to Taylor, though he kept his place and Cort only made 10 league starts when we won the title with most of them in a run of games at the end.
  • A left sided CB would be great. Passing along the backline can be even riskier when all 4 players are right footed, as you naturally do not play to the width of the pitch.