Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Stockton is essentially doing a Lyle Taylor to Morcambe, off the back of one good season, and people are still clamouring for him. 
    I don't see him refusing to play in a relegation fight, using covid as an excuse whilst his team mates tried to battle on to the end. 
    Have a look at the Morcambe reaction to see if they feel he is doing right by them. It does not matter the circumstances he’s still seemingly refusing to play so he can get a move, which is exactly what Taylor did. 

The points Morcambe could potentially be dropping now because he’s not playing could effect them towards the end of the year - time will tell.

Garner has spoken extensively in interviews about how he wants the right character in the team. Does this sound like the right sort of character to people?
    This seems a common tactic these days. Last year  Stanley forward did this and got a January move to Bolton. 

Not strictly true, I know for a fact he was told he wouldn’t play whilst he was seeking a move.
  • I think Lavelle is a perfectly fine rotational piece at CB that's never really going to let you down , but if we can go and get an outstanding CB to partner EOC then that would be a big piece of the puzzle 
  • edited August 2022
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:
    Feel Lavelle is getting unfair treatment a little. He looks solid when he plays..okay he isnt the fastest but he is good in the air and a good leader. 

With Innis, Lavelle and O'Connell + 1 more I think we have a solid CB partnership. 
    I feel like he is a solid League One CB. I also agree that he doesn't have anything in his locker that makes him stand out, he never gets you out of your chair with a great bit of defending. But he's not a liability by any means. 
    Didn't say he was a liability. Just not a top league 1 CB
    No, wasn't responding to your comment mate. Totally agree.
  • mendonca said:
    Out of interest, do you all think we should be targeting a centre forward or somebody who can play in the middle and out wide?
    A centre forward plain & simple. A finisher. A poacher. 

We certainly need a poacher.
    Sure as eggs is eggs.
  • I don't know what it is about Lavelle but I'm willing to overlook prior errors because for some reason with a solid centre back partner I think there is a decent player there. Same way I was willing to give all our midfielders another chance under a different style of play and maybe we're starting to see that when playing the ball through midfield they're not all as hopeless as they appeared under Jackson. Sometimes one or two new players or a change in formation can transform a player ...others of course just look plainly hopeless but it's important to try and distinguish between the two when players are putting in poor performances.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Just watch as Gilbey goes to L2 and smashes it. We all get told we should have kept him as he struggles in a newly promoted side. 
    What, like when Elliot Lee went to Wrexham a few months ago.

”he will take liberties in the National League “
    ”He will be a fucking cheat code”
    ”Best player in that league “

Been subbed off in the last two games well before the end
    I’d take a look at the feedback on his performances before posting… they are going crazy for him. He has fitness issues by all acounts 
  • And he's scored 2 goals in 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lavelle does seem to be popular in the squad at least, he's another former captain at his previous club so he's probably a really good guy to have around knowing he's always there to step up and play if asked and if not he'll be a good pro at least.
  • Scoham said:
    I’m hoping the CB we bring in is a first choice player rather than cover, get the right player and it could really strengthen us.
    I'd be happy if we bought a CB that we could see playing in the division above (if we ever got there!), but I feel that the tight games this season will be determined by a lack of being clinical in scoring goals, rather than leaking too many at the back. Anyone decent will probably cost, and I still think any transfer money that we have left would be best spent on cover up top.

It's a delicate balancing act. In all likelihood, it just one player in and Garner has already said publicly that we're in for a defender. I'd love to pick his brains about why the striker cover isn't the priority, but I trust him and Gallen to make the right choice.
  • LTKapal said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockton is essentially doing a Lyle Taylor to Morcambe, off the back of one good season, and people are still clamouring for him. 
    I don't see him refusing to play in a relegation fight, using covid as an excuse whilst his team mates tried to battle on to the end. 
    Have a look at the Morcambe reaction to see if they feel he is doing right by them. It does not matter the circumstances he’s still seemingly refusing to play so he can get a move, which is exactly what Taylor did. 

The points Morcambe could potentially be dropping now because he’s not playing could effect them towards the end of the year - time will tell.

Garner has spoken extensively in interviews about how he wants the right character in the team. Does this sound like the right sort of character to people?
    This seems a common tactic these days. Last year  Stanley forward did this and got a January move to Bolton. 

Not strictly true, I know for a fact he was told he wouldn’t play whilst he was seeking a move.
    Same as Dillon Philips
  • I think all this talk of us needing a proven L1 20+ a season striker is pie in sky stuff. If they’ve done that and are genuinely good, not just had one fluke season, then they’re off the Championship for big money. The smart clubs bring in players with real big potential to achieve 20+ a season but haven’t done it yet, like we did with Lyle, like Peterborough do on a regular basis.

For me it’s a CB first although I’m sure we’re after both.
    Not necessarily - some have ability 'ceilings' is a term they seem to use these days - championship clubs may not see him as being able to step up to the increased pace and power but will be much less of a gamble for a league 1 club looking to get promoted - Lyle Taylor shomne in League 1 but never really pulled up trees in the Champuionship and got himself injured and then refused to play before he got rumbled and Forest fell for it. 
  • I think all this talk of us needing a proven L1 20+ a season striker is pie in sky stuff. If they’ve done that and are genuinely good, not just had one fluke season, then they’re off the Championship for big money. The smart clubs bring in players with real big potential to achieve 20+ a season but haven’t done it yet, like we did with Lyle, like Peterborough do on a regular basis.

Not to mention that any side with a realistic hope of promotion generally needs to be solid at the back. You don't need a proven goalscorer to nick games 1-0, (as we proved against Derby), but over a season you will probably need a good defence.
  • Watched a clip of Lee come on and score 2. Nice goals. Funny thing is his play is so centred around himself wanting to look good, turn on the ball, then cut back and turn again that he misses so much play around him.
  • Be interesting to know what peoples thoughts are on Sam Lavelle. 
    Excellent  defender would have been my captain this season 
  • Lets just buy Lavelle to sort our CB depth situation out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't forget we still  have Jacob Roddy to play at left back.
    Injured at the moment

Not to mention that any side with a realistic hope of promotion generally needs to be solid at the back. You don't need a proven goalscorer to nick games 1-0, (as we proved against Derby), but over a season you will probably need a good defence.
    “Attackers win games, Defences win championships”
  • Be interesting to know what peoples thoughts are on Sam Lavelle. 
    I like his attitude. Relishes playing football 
  • edited August 2022
    Anyone know what time Gilbey's leaving or is he clinging on to the death? 
  • Dazzler21 said:

I think they actually get paid whilst downing tools. This is clearly wrong if true... stop paying the buggers....they signed a contract and expect the club to honour it.

One of the reasons I like Innis is that when injured he invested time in the club and the community.  Players like that are worth keeping . The right attitude is ways a plus in the dressing room. 

I wonder why you don't have the same issue with Innis that you have with Aneke, Inniss has been injured and unavailable for far more games during his charlton career than Aneke has...
    Because he actually  turned up this season  and has played . I also liked his attitude in that when unfit he invested  in this club and the community.  He put something  in and at the moment is not on big money. He doesn't  fret if asked to play 90 minutes. 

Now tell me why you ask dumb questions.  I covered this earlier  today.
    Probably because we don’t all hang on every work you post.
  • sam3110 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I think they actually get paid whilst downing tools. This is clearly wrong if true... stop paying the buggers....they signed a contract and expect the club to honour it.

One of the reasons I like Innis is that when injured he invested time in the club and the community.  Players like that are worth keeping . The right attitude is ways a plus in the dressing room. 

I wonder why you don't have the same issue with Innis that you have with Aneke, Inniss has been injured and unavailable for far more games during his charlton career than Aneke has...
    Because he actually  turned up this season  and has played . I also liked his attitude in that when unfit he invested  in this club and the community.  He put something  in and at the moment is not on big money. He doesn't  fret if asked to play 90 minutes. 

Now tell me why you ask dumb questions.  I covered this earlier  today.
    Aneke is constantly going to community events, there's countless pictures of him at hospitals, kids events etc etc, so to label him in that manner is disrespectful 
    What part of the hospital does he visit? 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Just watch as Gilbey goes to L2 and smashes it. We all get told we should have kept him as he struggles in a newly promoted side. 
    What, like when Elliot Lee went to Wrexham a few months ago.

”he will take liberties in the National League “
    ”He will be a fucking cheat code”
    ”Best player in that league “

Been subbed off in the last two games well before the end
    Yeah, it’s not like the old days when players were only Charltonised while they were with us, these days when we break a player we end their career
  • DOUCHER said:
    I think all this talk of us needing a proven L1 20+ a season striker is pie in sky stuff. If they’ve done that and are genuinely good, not just had one fluke season, then they’re off the Championship for big money. The smart clubs bring in players with real big potential to achieve 20+ a season but haven’t done it yet, like we did with Lyle, like Peterborough do on a regular basis.

Not necessarily - some have ability 'ceilings' is a term they seem to use these days - championship clubs may not see him as being able to step up to the increased pace and power but will be much less of a gamble for a league 1 club looking to get promoted - Lyle Taylor shomne in League 1 but never really pulled up trees in the Champuionship and got himself injured and then refused to play before he got rumbled and Forest fell for it. 
    I was just talking about some on here demanding a proven L1 striker. The smart clubs buy the next 20+ goal scorer and then develop and create them rather than buying a box ready version (however Lyle did in the Championship we did turn him into a prolific scorer in L1). If they’re already proven goalscorers at this level then we’re competing with Championship clubs and we can’t compete.