Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Jac_52 said:
    esseffect said:
    A shame to let Gilbey go.

Haven’t really had a chance to see how Lavelle and O’Connel play together. 

But Innis scares me playing out from the back. He has all the confidence of a ball playing centre back and none of the ability 
    I don't think Lavelle is any better with the ball to be fair

I don't see it either. Much prefer Inniss
    Can you imagine this time last year people "moaning" about Inniss and Stockley and wanting JFC and Gilbey "jogged on".  Yet kicking off that Dobson was "dropped", that Clare is one of the best players in his position in the league and "number 10" was a serious POTY candidate?

I'll have some of that.
  • edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I don’t get this, I think we are pretty well covered there, and have options such a Clare slotting in as well, and calling DE back off loan! Get we might want a left footed CB but that is a luxury 

Forward has to be surely.. or a Full Back 
    Clayden seems to have solved the the LB problem. Clayden and Sessegnon on the left, Clare and Egbo on the right seems good enough for the time being.
    Would've totally disagreed before Clare turned into prime Cafu. A left-sided cb who can cover lb and a striker should be priority
    Right, exactly this. A left sided, (ideally) left footed defender. Provides cover at CB and LB. If Garner wants to play a back three, Clare or the new defender can slot in at CB. We have lots of players who have played wingback. But Clayed should not the second choice LB, or fourth choice fullback (depending on how you look at it) at this point. 

And then yeah, a forward as well. But as I've outlined elsewhere, it's going to be very difficult to get another quality forward with Aneke and Stockley on the books. So honestly, I'm not expecting too much.

It would be great if we could move on Gilbey and keep JFC. I think JFC is the much better player. I don't think Gilbey is quite as bad as he's looked in a Charlton shirt. But he doesn't do anything in our system that others can't do in terms of running and pressing. And he just hasn't scored the goals to make him stand out on that front. His touch and passing aren't great. Best of luck to him, seems like a decent guy, it was a signing that made sense at the time, but it just didn't work out. 
    I tend to agree re: midfielders. The main reason I'd be ok with both moving on is that it bumps Aaron Henry further up the pecking order.
    But it leaves Henry in that can't play for the u21s in case, then doesn't play zone.  Always the 6th man, never the 5th.  

I would be happy if he wasn't 6/6 when the window shuts.  If he is 4th or 5th out of seven come November it's a totally different kettle of fish.
  • Nothing but pure speculation on my part but it’s weird that there has been no serious links with Stockton from any of the league’s front runners. One season wonder or not, he was good enough last season that teams must be looking at him. I read it that they’re being put off by the price Morecambe are asking but I’d be duty if there have not been lots of enquiries for him.

Depending how you read Garner’s comments, he alluded that someone needs to shift on their demands for us to sign a striker. 

We’re at the time in the window where selling clubs start to soften and buying clubs get a bit more urgent. The middle ground will get found on lots of potential negotiations that might have come to a stand still a week or more ago. 

It might be 2+2=5 but I wouldn’t be shocked if Stockton to us (and a few other teams with promotion ambitions) would fall into that category. 
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IF and it is a big IF the choice was a center back or a center foward.  It's got to be a center foward.

If you played Tuesday's games twice again with everything else being equal and left out Stockley in one and left out O'Connell in the other, let's say for Leaburn and Ness respectively.  One of them would of had zero effect on the result.  One of them might well have.

We ended 2020/21 with Stockley, Aneke, Davison, Washington and Shwartz.

We haven't signed a (different) striker since.  In that time we have signed 6 (six) center mids.  

Now we have to off load a center mid, potentially one that we resigned 2 months ago, to get one in?

I really can't get my head round it.
    I mean if we signed JFC because we had a contractual option and we felt like we could get a fee for him, like we clearly did with Davison, then I'd say that's relatively shrewd on the business front.

That being said, why we were reportedly looking to sell JFC before Gilbey is absolutely beyond me. 

I do not think selling JFC is a good idea. For me, he has the ability to be the second or third best central midfielder we have (behind Dobbo). Watching Albie at the start of this season has been great, but he still needs to do it for entire matches on a consistent basis. It's early days for McGrandles so can't really judge him just yet. Payne clearly has some quality and is a different type of player to JFC. And then I've never been fully convinced by Fraser in a Charlton shirt. I do think he has more in his locker than what we've seen, but he and JFC are about the same age and I haven't seen him do much that JFC can't do.

And then there's the forward thing. We have consistently recruited the wrong forwards for the system we're looking to play. We signed Stockley to play up front on his own under Adkins. We signed Schwartz and then switched to playing one up front. We signed Aneke when we were playing with two up front and when we had two forwards in front of him (Stockley and Washington), but then we lost two forwards (Burstow and Washington) and he's now second choice and shock surprise, is never fit. 

This squad is good. A lot of surgery was done in the summer to remove deadwood and players who didn't fit. But we are still seeing the results of a few transfer windows' worth of a lack of joined up thinking when it comes to signings. And that has to fall on our CEO/President/Whatever. 
  • Does Cawley mean "A few" clubs interested as in 3 or 4, or does he mean "few" clubs interested which means not many, ie almost none. 

The English language is a wonderful thing. Please type what you mean to say otherwise you could be sending out a very different message.
    Already commented on that Golfie. 
    Clearly means ‘a few’ though. 
  • Chunes said:
    Jephcott has not done much since that one decent season. I think a lot of teams will be relieved they didn't pull the trigger based on that purple patch.
    22, and hit double figures two years in a row all ready in League One. Id rather risk spending money on him then Stockton. 
    I agree, he's probably a better prospect and certainly has more resale value. But he scored 10 in 40 last season which I don't think is a good return in this league.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Does Cawley mean "A few" clubs interested as in 3 or 4, or does he mean "few" clubs interested which means not many, ie almost none. 

The English language is a wonderful thing. Please type what you mean to say otherwise you could be sending out a very different message.
    Then as a journalist he needs to learn how to type properly. 
  • edited August 2022
    NabySarr said:
    I’d rather loan Henry out. I think we stunted Morgan’s growth for a couple of years with him being 5th/6th choice in and out of the squad all the time.  Henry had a great loan at Wealdstone last year so I’d see if he can get a league 2 move, if not send him back to Wealdstone and hope he impresses enough for a league 2 loan in January 
    Exactly this. It's why I didn't count him in my post above. I think he needs to go out on loan. If we can get him a L2 move, great. Maybe, dare I say it, a move to a lower league side on the continent where he won't be bullied as much might be nice as well. I know we haven't really done that, but never too late to try. He's good enough that he needs to be playing regularly but not quite good enough that he's ready to break into the first team regularly. 

Worst case scenario is we keep him around for the cups and then loan him to the National League once the cups are done, and/or can recall him if we get hit by injuries. I wouldn't mind the same for Clayden as well if we get LB cover in. But keeping Henry here all season really risks stunting his growth. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcSCP said:
    Jac_52 said:

No thanks. Stockley has scored infinitely more goals and has infinitely more assists than him this season already.
    Stockleys stats are made at a higher level too.
    Stockton 90 or so goals in 300 odd appearances. League two or below mostly.
    He’s had one decent season.

Stockley's goals were mainly in L2 or lower. 46 goals for Exeter for example in L2.

Stockley has 22 goals for us in L1, in a season and a half, Stockton scored 23 last season in L1.
    I still don’t want Stockton 😂
  • Nothing but pure speculation on my part but it’s weird that there has been no serious links with Stockton from any of the league’s front runners. One season wonder or not, he was good enough last season that teams must be looking at him. I read it that they’re being put off by the price Morecambe are asking but I’d be duty if there have not been lots of enquiries for him.

Depending how you read Garner’s comments, he alluded that someone needs to shift on their demands for us to sign a striker. 

We’re at the time in the window where selling clubs start to soften and buying clubs get a bit more urgent. The middle ground will get found on lots of potential negotiations that might have come to a stand still a week or more ago. 

It might be 2+2=5 but I wouldn’t be shocked if Stockton to us (and a few other teams with promotion ambitions) would fall into that category. 
    Now Stockton has asked for a transfer, I suspect things will start moving. I agree that our geography counts against us, though he might be attracted by a change of scenery, and having Lavelle who he played with at Morecambe, here already may help. 

I'd be staggered if he went to Fleetwood though, the likes of Bolton and Barnsley will surely be sniffing around.
  • I don't know how close we will be to the squad number limit by the end of the window, but Henry being under 21 may make him a more attractive 6th midfielder than say Gilbey or JFC. Especially with both Morgan and Clayden both now counting in the numbers.
  • esseffect said:

But Innis scares me playing out from the back. He has all the confidence of a ball playing centre back and none of the ability 
    He is more mobile, which, when it comes to Inniss, isn't hard. I don't know that there's a huge different when it comes to ability on the ball and passing. Neither are great, neither are Pearce bad. 

TransferMarkt has Lavelle as costing 235k last year. I have no idea if that is anywhere in the ballpark as to what he has cost. But he's never looked anything more than a solid L1 CB to me. To be fair, he had two bad injuries last year after not really having any prior to that in his career. So he might get better with a solid run of games (which he'll get to at least some extent because Inniss can't play three times in a week). But I don't know, paying money for him still feels a bit odd as of now. Maybe that changes this season. 
  • I know, realistically, Stockton will go somewhere else. However, there's a small part of me dreaming that there's still a sliver of hope that we might get him. He looked noticeably better than vast majority of opposing strikers I saw vs. us last year and I think he'd suit the style of football Garner plays. Crucially, I also think he would be more clinical in the role that Stockley occupies, which might be the difference in big games.

Stockley brings a lot to this team. He's the skipper and our main man, plus probably a whole bunch of intangibles we don't see too. If he's fit, he should start. However, if he's crocked, it could scupper us completely. Stockton is that missing piece for me - gives Garner the choice to rest Stockley to keep him fresh, play differently against certain teams AND allow Leaburn to develop at a reasonable (but his naturally explosive!) pace.

It may well be silly money, but the lad has less than year on his contract and has already handed in a transfer request, if stories are to be believed. If there is any money left in the kitty and means shifting Gilbey/JFC, so be it.

Another defender is a sensible move, given Inniss' injury record. But, at a pinch, we have a few that could cover across the back line. Stockton would give us an embarrassment of options up front, and that would push us into automatic contention imo.

Got all my fingers and toes praying for this. It won't happen, but I live for the dream!
  • Transfer rumour Gilbey out and Stockton in 🤞🏻
  • th0rryy said:
    I know, realistically, Stockton will go somewhere else. However, there's a small part of me dreaming that there's still a sliver of hope that we might get him. He looked noticeably better than vast majority of opposing strikers I saw vs. us last year and I think he'd suit the style of football Garner plays. Crucially, I also think he would be more clinical in the role that Stockley occupies, which might be the difference in big games.

Stockley brings a lot to this team. He's the skipper and our main man, plus probably a whole bunch of intangibles we don't see too. If he's fit, he should start. However, if he's crocked, it could scupper us completely. Stockton is that missing piece for me - gives Garner the choice to rest Stockley to keep him fresh, play differently against certain teams AND allow Leaburn to develop at a reasonable (but his naturally explosive!) pace.

It may well be silly money, but the lad has less than year on his contract and has already handed in a transfer request, if stories are to be believed. If there is any money left in the kitty and means shifting Gilbey/JFC, so be it.

Another defender is a sensible move, given Inniss' injury record. But, at a pinch, we have a few that could cover across the back line. Stockton would give us an embarrassment of options up front, and that would push us into automatic contention imo.

Got all my fingers and toes praying for this. It won't happen, but I live for the dream!
    agreed - bring stockton in and i think we would be looking very strong - offloading gilbey, jfc, macg and dj would have zero impact on our chances this season 
  • Just as a matter of interest, has Lyle Taylor made any kind of comment regarding the story of us being interested in having him back here?
    He’s usually quite prepared to ‘stir the pot’ a little on social media in some way or another….be it a bit of sarcasm or dangling a line or two.
    Made me laugh, one news source referred to him as a premier league star, yeah right!
  • Transfer rumour Gilbey out and Stockton in 🤞🏻
    23 goals in 40 league one appearances gotta be worth it ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:
    esseffect said:

He is more mobile, which, when it comes to Inniss, isn't hard. I don't know that there's a huge different when it comes to ability on the ball and passing. Neither are great, neither are Pearce bad. 

TransferMarkt has Lavelle as costing 235k last year. I have no idea if that is anywhere in the ballpark as to what he has cost. But he's never looked anything more than a solid L1 CB to me. To be fair, he had two bad injuries last year after not really having any prior to that in his career. So he might get better with a solid run of games (which he'll get to at least some extent because Inniss can't play three times in a week). But I don't know, paying money for him still feels a bit odd as of now. Maybe that changes this season. 
    Pearce was perfectly ok on the ball, possibly better than Lavelle. It was Famewo who stood out, and for the wrong reasons, with his terrible passing last season.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Does Cawley mean "A few" clubs interested as in 3 or 4, or does he mean "few" clubs interested which means not many, ie almost none. 

Then as a journalist he needs to learn how to type properly. 
    Agreed. I’ve often typed messages in that shorthand style, only to add the missing words before sending. 
    Or not bothered with caps, only to go back and add them. Bit obsessive. 
  • edited August 2022
    On reflection yes, I think you are correct, defender first.. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I don’t get this, I think we are pretty well covered there, and have options such a Clare slotting in as well, and calling DE back off loan! Get we might want a left footed CB but that is a luxury 

Forward has to be surely.. or a Full Back 
    Clayden seems to have solved the the LB problem. Clayden and Sessegnon on the left, Clare and Egbo on the right seems good enough for the time being.
    He did ok the other night but i'm not sure i'd be that comfortable with Clayden at left back for any length of time if Sessegnon got injured. He's good going forward but would need to improve a lot defensively if that's going to be his new role. It's one thing when you're dominating a team at home, but away to the likes of Ipswich, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Derby etc i feel he'd be targeted.

I'll be honest though i haven't seen too much of him and I trust Garner so if he feels he's up to it, then let's see.
  • SDAddick said:
    esseffect said:

Pearce was perfectly ok on the ball, possibly better than Lavelle. It was Famewo who stood out, and for the wrong reasons, with his terrible passing last season.
    Famewo isn't a good passer, but what stood out was that he was the one always hoofing it up to Stockley (not particularly well). That he was often forced into doing it, was a symptom of a failing system.
  • Stockton is essentially doing a Lyle Taylor to Morcambe, off the back of one good season, and people are still clamouring for him. 

If he was rated as worth the risk, why has it got to the point that he has had to hand in a transfer request, and it is only Fleetwood who have come in with any sort of tangible bid for him?
    Whilst i agree with what you said and i posted earlier this week in that he seems to be rated better on this forum than by the top clubs in league one, i think as we get closer to the deadline you might see other clubs come in for him.

Clubs like Oxford, Wycombe and MK Dons perhaps who haven't made a good start and may well decide that for 100-200k he's worth a gamble.
  • Don't forget we still  have Jacob Roddy to play at left back.
    Whatever happened to him?