Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    MKD weren't nearly so ball-playing while Gilbey was there, tbf...
    Not sure what they were like under Tisdale, but he did play under Russel Martin whose style makes ‘GarnerBall’ look like prime Sam Allardyce. 
  • Yes Gilbey would be excellent under Garner. He will go through one one one and lash the ball in the back of the net, because it sounds good.

One of the most disappointing signings for a few years. His hard runs on the right were all he had really, rather than being just one facet of his attacking offerings. 
  • Leuth said:
    Not sure what they were like under Tisdale, but he did play under Russel Martin whose style makes ‘GarnerBall’ look like prime Sam Allardyce. 
    Would that be the Russell Martin who flogged him to Charlton without a second's hesitation?
  • Chunes said:
    It’s funny what happens when you have a coaching set up which does not look to bypass the midfield. 

Considering on the whole how badly performing people said our midfield was last year (with the exception of Dobbo for obvious reasons of course), and how well oiled they are beginning to look this year - maybe even Gilbey (player of the year two years in a row at ball playing MK Dons) would look better under ‘GarnerBall’.
    But Garner wants his midfielders to constantly show for the ball, receive it in tight areas and play. That's probably Gilbey's biggest set of weaknesses. Firstly the bravery to not hide and play football, and secondly the technique to keep the ball in tight areas. 

A few people did predict Gilbey would do well under Garner and yet he's being shipped on, meanwhile Albie Morgan is a starter.
    Peoples distaste for Gilbey is so funny. I’m not saying he’s all of a sudden going to turn into prime Frank Lampard or we should keep him. 

I was observing that our team, midfield in particular, was universally criticised last season. And with that in mind maybe you would see a different player under Garner. 

After all, as already mentioned, the team that started yesterday contained 9 of the same outfield players as we had last year. 

It’s a lightly veiled jab at our coaching over the last few years. 

• Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Would that be the Russell Martin who flogged him to Charlton without a second's hesitation?
    The same manager who jogged McGrandles and Fraser on without a second's hesitation..... 
  • I think it's a bit harsh to say Gilbey is a poor player at this level, as he has shown that he can dominate games, like the 2-0 win over Ipswich at The Valley last season - just see the player marks thread (https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/93058/players-marks-charlton-v-ipswich-closes-wednesday-teatime/p1). The problem is that he's never done it consistently, and it's clear that he's not in Garner's plans. So I hope we get some sort of a fee for him and use that, plus the freed up wages, on reinforcements elsewhere.

I won't be surprised to see him end up at another League 1 club.
    Gilbey was magnificent in the game against Ipswich - definitely had an extra Weetabix that day! I agree that he is not a bad player, but he has been very inconsistent (well, more consistently bad) for us. I am not sure why he has under-performed, but he is still a very decent League 1 player when he plays well. Perhaps it is a confidence thing with Alex. He also had long covid too, and perhaps that affected him more than we all realise? I still think it would be best for everyone if he moves on though.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    The same manager who jogged McGrandles and Fraser on without a second's hesitation..... 
    Only once they'd signed Twine to replace the latter ;) 
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    It’s funny what happens when you have a coaching set up which does not look to bypass the midfield. 

Considering on the whole how badly performing people said our midfield was last year (with the exception of Dobbo for obvious reasons of course), and how well oiled they are beginning to look this year - maybe even Gilbey (player of the year two years in a row at ball playing MK Dons) would look better under ‘GarnerBall’.
    But Garner wants his midfielders to constantly show for the ball, receive it in tight areas and play. That's probably Gilbey's biggest set of weaknesses. Firstly the bravery to not hide and play football, and secondly the technique to keep the ball in tight areas. 

A few people did predict Gilbey would do well under Garner and yet he's being shipped on, meanwhile Albie Morgan is a starter.
    Peoples distaste for Gilbey is so funny. I’m not saying he’s all of a sudden going to turn into prime Frank Lampard or we should keep him. 

I was observing that our team, midfield in particular, was universally criticised last season. And with that in mind maybe you would see a different player under Garner. 

After all, as already mentioned, the team that started yesterday contained 9 of the same outfield players as we had last year. 

It’s a lightly veiled jab at our coaching over the last few years. 

I understood what you were saying, I was just disagreeing with the idea that he could look any different in this system when it accentuates his weaknesses.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    All the being flipent aside it does make you wonder when Garner decided that the "frozen out three" weren't up to it?   Or indeed that's what he actually has decided. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    All the being flipent aside it does make you wonder when Garner decided that the "frozen out three" weren't up to it?   Or indeed that's what he actually has decided. 
    I suspect that JFC and Gilbey having only one year on their contract is contrary to the football business model. Peterborough would freeze them out in the same way. (that assumes that they have a monetary value in the market)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Am I forgetting the third of the three you are referring to?
  • J BLOCK said:

Agreed. I think Gilbey would do really well under Garner, unfortunately for him we are so well stacked in that area that he isn’t at the level we have now. 
    Not sure, as passing isn’t his strongest suit. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I suspect that JFC and Gilbey having only one year on their contract is contrary to the football business model. Peterborough would freeze them out in the same way. (that assumes that they have a monetary value in the market)
    So have Albie and Clare. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    MacGillivray,  JFC and Gilbey. 

We basically signed their replacements before preseason started. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Payne and Morgan are the chief corner takers I guess.

Is a side with both of them in too attacking?

Wollacott
    Clare Inniss O'Connell Sessegnon
    Morgan Dobson Payne
    Rak-Sakyi Stockley CBT

Why would playing Payne instead of Fraser make us more vulnerable defensively? Fraser is hardly a defensive player.
    I noticed on Tuesday that Fraser did track back and do a lot of good defensive work. I think he is more of an all round mid fielder than he is given credit for
    But then so does Payne. He's not a Kirk style of attacking player, who can't really defend
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    MacGillivray,  JFC and Gilbey. 

We basically signed their replacements before preseason started. 
    Ah MacKeeper was the one I missed.

I'm not sure he'll be going before the January window myself. Wollacott likely to be away for the World Cup as well as other international duties over time... is Harness ready to step up?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    J BLOCK said:

Agreed. I think Gilbey would do really well under Garner, unfortunately for him we are so well stacked in that area that he isn’t at the level we have now. 
    Not sure, as passing isn’t his strongest suit. 
    Disagree, think under the right manager he’d do well 
  • Chunes said:
    Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Orient seem about Gilbey's level. Such a poor player, will not be missed.
    The thing is that Lincoln and Shrewsbury are our level so that makes him or level too.
    Unlikely in terms of budget and definitely not what we’re aiming to compete with come the end of the season.
  • Just watch as Gilbey goes to L2 and smashes it. We all get told we should have kept him as he struggles in a newly promoted side. 
  • Chunes said:

Bang on - he played in bursts and went missing a lot of the time - he’s neither a winger or a midfielder for me and am happy to see him go 
  • I always though Gilbey under delivered for us as I'm sure there is a much better player in there than we have seen. However I never dreamt that Albie could string a few games together playing at the level he is at the moment so that shows how much I know 🙄
    If he leaves I would only wish him goodluck and hope he proves a success for someone else
  • Does Cawley mean "A few" clubs interested as in 3 or 4, or does he mean "few" clubs interested which means not many, ie almost none. 

The English language is a wonderful thing. Please type what you mean to say otherwise you could be sending out a very different message.
  • NabySarr said:
    Gilbey to Lincoln on loan with a view to permanent. Apparently pretty much a done deal
    Good news 
  • NabySarr said:
    Gilbey to Lincoln on loan with a view to permanent. Apparently pretty much a done deal
    I'll drive him there myself!