Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Timing is key here. If he goes late on deadline day it won’t leave much time to get someone in with the funds that Garner may be given to play with 
  • Chunes said:
    Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Orient seem about Gilbey's level. Such a poor player, will not be missed.
    Of those 3 clubs, he’s got to fancy LO as he wouldn’t have to move 
  • sam3110 said:
    Payne and Morgan are the chief corner takers I guess.

Is a side with both of them in too attacking?

Wollacott
    Clare Inniss O'Connell Sessegnon
    Morgan Dobson Payne
    Rak-Sakyi Stockley CBT

If we are playing the infancied teams like Cambridge, port vale and Cheltenham, I would go for this team. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Timing is key here. If he goes late on deadline day it won’t leave much time to get someone in with the funds that Garner may be given to play with 
    I’d expect us to line up deals rather than wait until someone has moved on. Those deals may then fall through if we can’t shift one or two on. Also think it’s more about freeing up wages than adding to our transfer budget.
  • _MrDick said:
    Chunes said:
    Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Orient seem about Gilbey's level. Such a poor player, will not be missed.
    Moncur, Pratley and Gilbey would be a pretty decent midfield in L2!
  • Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    Timing is key here. If he goes late on deadline day it won’t leave much time to get someone in with the funds that Garner may be given to play with 
    I’d expect us to line up deals rather than wait until someone has moved on. Those deals may then fall through if we can’t shift one or two on. Also think it’s more about freeing up wages than adding to our transfer budget.
    Freeing up wages, adding to the transfer budget. Same thing 
  • Leuth said:
    I don't think Kirk has the power to take effective corners. He is Floaty Boy. From 45 yards away he won't be able to get the pace and dip that Morgan or theoretically Fraser can. This was a problem with Lee's corners too
    I thought that last season, but saw that he took them for Blackpool and setup a few goals from them. He'll have no problem - float them to Innis can be one plan rather than our only plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    Am i the only one that actually feels sorry for Chuks and this latest injury setback? Some people on here mock him as though he does this purposely. I know I’d be down in the dumps if this kept happening to me and then social media mocking me I don’t think I’ll be in a good place mentally.
    Good point. Love Chuks. 
  • I've just seen an article calling Gilbey, a Charlton STAR. Isn't it time journalists used another word to describe a transfer target.
  • Gilbey is soooo frustrating. He looks great when getting hold of the ball and then running with it, causing panic in the opposition, but then more often than not massively over hits the pass. When he gets it right he’s quality, but sadly it isn’t often enough. 
  • edited August 2022
    I think it's a bit harsh to say Gilbey is a poor player at this level, as he has shown that he can dominate games, like the 2-0 win over Ipswich at The Valley last season - just see the player marks thread (https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/93058/players-marks-charlton-v-ipswich-closes-wednesday-teatime/p1). The problem is that he's never done it consistently, and it's clear that he's not in Garner's plans. So I hope we get some sort of a fee for him and use that, plus the freed up wages, on reinforcements elsewhere.

I won't be surprised to see him end up at another League 1 club.
    He dominated, well not dominated but played well in one game for us.
    It just so happened you highlighted that one game and chose to ignore all the others.

He has been consistent though, consistently poor.
  • edited August 2022
    Lots of promise but he unfortunately never delivered on it often enough. If he moves on, will wish him well.
  • edited August 2022
    I think there's a good player in there and it just hasn't worked out for some reason. Moving him on along with 1 or 2 others is for the best if it allows us to sign a striker and CB. 
  • mendonca said:
    I've just seen an article calling Gilbey, a Charlton STAR. Isn't it time journalists used another word to describe a transfer target.
    Not whilst we are trying to sell him! Balon D'or contender  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sollied said:
    felix_31 said:
    Cannot wait for Chuks to bang some goals in when he is back just to shut 1956 up for a while.
    And he will score -he got 4 in 9 for us last season.
    Didn’t realise he scored so many for us last season. 

People mock but he’s got just under 1 in 2 for us across 2020-2022 - and that’s mostly from sybarite appearances. If he gets more than 10 this season it could be invaluable to us 
    After saying that you do know somebody will beavering away to find a reason to discount some of those goals!
  • Clarky said:
    Sollied said:
    felix_31 said:
    Cannot wait for Chuks to bang some goals in when he is back just to shut 1956 up for a while.
    And he will score -he got 4 in 9 for us last season.
    Didn’t realise he scored so many for us last season. 

People mock but he’s got just under 1 in 2 for us across 2020-2022 - and that’s mostly from sybarite appearances. If he gets more than 10 this season it could be invaluable to us 
    After saying that you do know somebody will beavering away to find a reason to discount some of those goals!
    Goals from close range don't count

Goals that don't change the result don't count either

: - )
  • shirty5 said:
    Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    In so much as we are governed by certain rules which is outside our control then it could be construed as being the same thing. However, it is highly likely that Garner has money available to spend within the transfer budget set by TS but can't do so because of the overall expenditure (including salaries) against revenue rules, and in that context it is different.
  • _MrDick said:
    Chunes said:
    Well he don't move much for us so...
  • It’s funny what happens when you have a coaching set up which does not look to bypass the midfield. 

Considering on the whole how badly performing people said our midfield was last year (with the exception of Dobbo for obvious reasons of course), and how well oiled they are beginning to look this year - maybe even Gilbey (player of the year two years in a row at ball playing MK Dons) would look better under ‘GarnerBall’.
  • MKD weren't nearly so ball-playing while Gilbey was there, tbf...
  • It’s funny what happens when you have a coaching set up which does not look to bypass the midfield. 

Considering on the whole how badly performing people said our midfield was last year (with the exception of Dobbo for obvious reasons of course), and how well oiled they are beginning to look this year - maybe even Gilbey (player of the year two years in a row at ball playing MK Dons) would look better under ‘GarnerBall’.
    Agreed. I think Gilbey would do really well under Garner, unfortunately for him we are so well stacked in that area that he isn’t at the level we have now. 
  • edited August 2022
    shirty5 said:
    Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    I’m thinking we need to free up wages under SCMP rules in order to make more signings, while a nominal or £1m fee isn’t necessarily going to significantly change what if anything we spend on fees. Therefore we have to let players go, but we don’t have to raise funds to be able to afford fees as the players we’ll let go won’t be ones we can sell for big fees.