Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• The fact we brought Innis on against Plymouth shows how short we are in that position. 
  • edited August 2022
    Just as a matter of interest, has Lyle Taylor made any kind of comment regarding the story of us being interested in having him back here?
    He’s usually quite prepared to ‘stir the pot’ a little on social media in some way or another….be it a bit of sarcasm or dangling a line or two.
  • Sollied said:
    felix_31 said:
    Cannot wait for Chuks to bang some goals in when he is back just to shut 1956 up for a while.
    And he will score -he got 4 in 9 for us last season.
    Didn’t realise he scored so many for us last season. 

People mock but he’s got just under 1 in 2 for us across 2020-2022 - and that’s mostly from sybarite appearances. If he gets more than 10 this season it could be invaluable to us 
    Bet I wasn't  the only one to google that  :D

Don't think anyone's mocking what he "could" do, problem is he's rarely fit enough to do anything. I posted on the day we re-signed him why & why give him  three & a half year contract ( yes lowish wages but guaranteed over 3& half years). It's not as if it's a surprise to anyone is it ? 
  • I agree a CB had to be number one priority.  Every game that Innis does not get injured in is a surprise to me.  That would leave two in Lavelle and O'Connell.

Upfront we also need a striker before the window closes but not quite as urgently.

Ultimately I would imagine we are targeting both and it will be down to which of our targets comes up first. 
    You could always play Stockley at CH in an emergency.....you cant really play Lavelle up front in the same situation. 

Mark my words. If we only bring in a CH before the window closes then you can bet your bottom dollar Stockley will get injured the following week. 
  • The fact we brought Innis on against Plymouth shows how short we are in that position. 
    I was confused why we brought him on for O'Connell, as the latter didn't seem injured or tired. Maybe Garner just wanted him to have a few minutes and be part of the win?
    I was confused why we brought him on for O'Connell, as the latter didn't seem injured or tired. Maybe Garner just wanted him to have a few minutes and be part of the win?
    Probably wanted to rest O Connell. Assuming he plays against Walsall. Could end up playing 8 matches in opening month of the season.
  • wmcf123 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I don’t get this, I think we are pretty well covered there, and have options such a Clare slotting in as well, and calling DE back off loan! Get we might want a left footed CB but that is a luxury 

Forward has to be surely.. or a Full Back 
    2 injuries away from god knows who paying centre half ; we need one desperately , IMO.  If that ends up with Inniss/ Lavelle and O’Connell playing 46 games , who cares . 
    I injury away from having just ONE striker, who had played just 4 league games in his life.
    Yes; we need both .  I was merely saying that we definitely need a centre half . 
    Probably wanted to rest O Connell. Assuming he plays against Walsall. Could end up playing 8 matches in opening month of the season.
    Yeah he'd just played 90 against QPR, definitely not one we'd want injured (wouldn't want any but you know what I mean). 
  • Belv said:
    Does Cawley mean "A few" clubs interested as in 3 or 4, or does he mean "few" clubs interested which means not many, ie almost none. 

The English language is a wonderful thing. Please type what you mean to say otherwise you could be sending out a very different message.
    I mean to be fair, he literally names the clubs in his headline. 

• I agree a CB had to be number one priority.  Every game that Innis does not get injured in is a surprise to me.  That would leave two in Lavelle and O'Connell.

Upfront we also need a striker before the window closes but not quite as urgently.

Ultimately I would imagine we are targeting both and it will be down to which of our targets comes up first. 
    You could always play Stockley at CH in an emergency.....you cant really play Lavelle up front in the same situation. 

Mark my words. If we only bring in a CH before the window closes then you can bet your bottom dollar Stockley will get injured the following week. 
    Well yes but bringing in a CH doesn't mean we won't also bring in a striker as well. No real reason to suppose it's one OR the other at this point.
  • Sponsored links:

I wouldn't bet against it. And nor would I bet against us signing a striker and Stockley then being fit for all 46 games.

The worry is of course that we pretty much have 2 players per position now except for CB given Clayden has pretty much proved he can cover the LB spot and Garner rates Miles enough to consider him striker number 2..
  • Jac_52 said:
    I agree a CB had to be number one priority.  Every game that Innis does not get injured in is a surprise to me.  That would leave two in Lavelle and O'Connell.

I wouldn't bet against it. And nor would I bet against us signing a striker and Stockley then being fit for all 46 games.

The worry is of course that we pretty much have 2 players per position now except for CB given Clayden has pretty much proved he can cover the LB spot and Garner rates Miles enough to consider him striker number 2..
    I don't think Garner thinks he's a serious option to play the Number 9 role yet, the appearance at Wednesday was down to having no alternative. His successful appearances have been as the right hand wide attacker.
  • So was ‘ill’ for the last two games and if Peter is correct, and there’s no reason to doubt him, has now handed in a transfer request.

Sounds like Fleetwood’s £100,000 bid is still the only one been made as well, which has not met Morcambe’s valuation.

• Jac_52 said:

No thanks. Stockley has scored infinitely more goals and has infinitely more assists than him this season already.
    Stockleys stats are made at a higher level too.
    Stockton 90 or so goals in 300 odd appearances. League two or below mostly.
    He’s had one decent season.

• CafcSCP said:
    Jac_52 said:

No thanks. Stockley has scored infinitely more goals and has infinitely more assists than him this season already.

Might be a better link player though - he certainly played well at the valley last season .  Pie in the sky anyway as I’m not expecting Sandgaard to spend money on a transfer; no criticism intended . 
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    Jephcott has not done much since that one decent season. I think a lot of teams will be relieved they didn't pull the trigger based on that purple patch.
    22, and hit double figures two years in a row all ready in League One. Id rather risk spending money on him then Stockton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Just as a matter of interest, has Lyle Taylor made any kind of comment regarding the story of us being interested in having him back here?
    He’s usually quite prepared to ‘stir the pot’ a little on social media in some way or another….be it a bit of sarcasm or dangling a line or two.
    What, like something along the lines of 'reorganize the words shit and horse to get your answer' 😎
  • CafcSCP said:
    Jac_52 said:

Stockley's goals were mainly in L2 or lower. 46 goals for Exeter for example in L2.

Stockley has 22 goals for us in L1, in a season and a half, Stockton scored 23 last season in L1.
  • A shame to let Gilbey go.

Haven’t really had a chance to see how Lavelle and O’Connel play together. 

But Innis scares me playing out from the back. He has all the confidence of a ball playing centre back and none of the ability 
  • IF and it is a big IF the choice was a center back or a center foward.  It's got to be a center foward.

If you played Tuesday's games twice again with everything else being equal and left out Stockley in one and left out O'Connell in the other, let's say for Leaburn and Ness respectively.  One of them would of had zero effect on the result.  One of them might well have.

We ended 2020/21 with Stockley, Aneke, Davison, Washington and Shwartz.

We haven't signed a (different) striker since.  In that time we have signed 6 (six) center mids.  

Now we have to off load a center mid, potentially one that we resigned 2 months ago, to get one in?

I really can't get my head round it.
  • edited August 2022
    So was ‘ill’ for the last two games and if Peter is correct, and there’s no reason to doubt him, has now handed in a transfer request.

Sounds like Fleetwood’s £100,000 bid is still the only one been made as well, which has not met Morcambe’s valuation.

A £100k up front fee feels about right for someone who'd compete/back-up Stockley, who's in his late 20s and is not completely guaranteed to be a success. If that's the only offer they have and they aren't happy with it, I'm sure we could find creative ways to beat it without bumping the up front fee.

Wonder if they'd go for a bid of £100k plus another £100k contingent upon promotion?
  • CAFCsayer said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I don’t get this, I think we are pretty well covered there, and have options such a Clare slotting in as well, and calling DE back off loan! Get we might want a left footed CB but that is a luxury 

Clayden seems to have solved the the LB problem. Clayden and Sessegnon on the left, Clare and Egbo on the right seems good enough for the time being.
    Would've totally disagreed before Clare turned into prime Cafu. A left-sided cb who can cover lb and a striker should be priority
    Right, exactly this. A left sided, (ideally) left footed defender. Provides cover at CB and LB. If Garner wants to play a back three, Clare or the new defender can slot in at CB. We have lots of players who have played wingback. But Clayed should not the second choice LB, or fourth choice fullback (depending on how you look at it) at this point. 

And then yeah, a forward as well. But as I've outlined elsewhere, it's going to be very difficult to get another quality forward with Aneke and Stockley on the books. So honestly, I'm not expecting too much.

It would be great if we could move on Gilbey and keep JFC. I think JFC is the much better player. I don't think Gilbey is quite as bad as he's looked in a Charlton shirt. But he doesn't do anything in our system that others can't do in terms of running and pressing. And he just hasn't scored the goals to make him stand out on that front. His touch and passing aren't great. Best of luck to him, seems like a decent guy, it was a signing that made sense at the time, but it just didn't work out. 
  • esseffect said:
    A shame to let Gilbey go.

But Innis scares me playing out from the back. He has all the confidence of a ball playing centre back and none of the ability 
    I don't think Lavelle is any better with the ball to be fair
  • SDAddick said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Clayden seems to have solved the the LB problem. Clayden and Sessegnon on the left, Clare and Egbo on the right seems good enough for the time being.
    Would've totally disagreed before Clare turned into prime Cafu. A left-sided cb who can cover lb and a striker should be priority
    Right, exactly this. A left sided, (ideally) left footed defender. Provides cover at CB and LB. If Garner wants to play a back three, Clare or the new defender can slot in at CB. We have lots of players who have played wingback. But Clayed should not the second choice LB, or fourth choice fullback (depending on how you look at it) at this point. 

And then yeah, a forward as well. But as I've outlined elsewhere, it's going to be very difficult to get another quality forward with Aneke and Stockley on the books. So honestly, I'm not expecting too much.

It would be great if we could move on Gilbey and keep JFC. I think JFC is the much better player. I don't think Gilbey is quite as bad as he's looked in a Charlton shirt. But he doesn't do anything in our system that others can't do in terms of running and pressing. And he just hasn't scored the goals to make him stand out on that front. His touch and passing aren't great. Best of luck to him, seems like a decent guy, it was a signing that made sense at the time, but it just didn't work out. 
    I tend to agree re: midfielders. The main reason I'd be ok with both moving on is that it bumps Aaron Henry further up the pecking order.
  • edited August 2022
    So was ‘ill’ for the last two games and if Peter is correct, and there’s no reason to doubt him, has now handed in a transfer request.

A £100k up front fee feels about right for someone who'd compete/back-up Stockley, who's in his late 20s and is not completely guaranteed to be a success. If that's the only offer they have and they aren't happy with it, I'm sure we could find creative ways to beat it without bumping the up front fee.

Wonder if they'd go for a bid of £100k plus another £100k contingent upon promotion?
    Why would he come though?

He isn't ever going to earn "life changing money" (c) L.Taylor.  I have no idea what his personal circumstances are but moving to London for 18 months/2 years isn't as easy as it sounds.

Going the other way is a not so hard.

• esseffect said:
    A shame to let Gilbey go.

I don't think Lavelle is any better with the ball to be fair

I don't see it either. Much prefer Inniss