Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• If we are looking for a left footed centre half then Jones today for Cambridge impressed me. Played number 6. Know nothing about him mind you.
    I think his name is Jones 
    He plays for Cambridge. 
    Wears the number 6 shirt.
    And is a left footed centre half. 

Glad to of been of help.
    This doesn’t even rhyme 
  • Perhaps it’s a case they have enquired about strikers but the ones they think will be an improvement on Stockley, who is doing better than some
    will give him credit for, or Leaburn, who looks better than I think a lot of us expected, are out of reach. No point signing someone just for the sake of it. 

Or perhaps they just want to play their cards very close to their chest for fear of losing a deal by it becoming public knowledge too early.  

We’ll find out in a couple of weeks. 
    If Stockley or Leaburn get injured we are up creek.... we need another striker.
    IF. It’s not definitely going to happen so the management team has to balance that risk against what it will cost to sign a striker that will be worth actually adding to the wage bill. And whatever the bed wetting doom mongers will say, Aneke will be available for selection at some point.

Ideally we would be able to sign a decent striker, but this isn’t like January 2019 when we were playing 2 up front and sold Grant to leave us with only Taylor and the injured Vetokele so had to sign Parker because he was all we could get. Right now we have two decent, fit options for one position. 

If we just sign someone for the sake of it they might end being unused and  unwanted and then, in January, maybe a better option comes on the market but we already spent our budget on the d-list option.

it’s made out like it’s a black and white decision but it’s not. 

It will though won’t it.
  • edited August 2022
    Perhaps it’s a case they have enquired about strikers but the ones they think will be an improvement on Stockley, who is doing better than some
    will give him credit for, or Leaburn, who looks better than I think a lot of us expected, are out of reach. No point signing someone just for the sake of it. 

Or perhaps they just want to play their cards very close to their chest for fear of losing a deal by it becoming public knowledge too early.  

IF. It’s not definitely going to happen so the management team has to balance that risk against what it will cost to sign a striker that will be worth actually adding to the wage bill. And whatever the bed wetting doom mongers will say, Aneke will be available for selection at some point.

Ideally we would be able to sign a decent striker, but this isn’t like January 2019 when we were playing 2 up front and sold Grant to leave us with only Taylor and the injured Vetokele so had to sign Parker because he was all we could get. Right now we have two decent, fit options for one position. 

If we just sign someone for the sake of it they might end being unused and  unwanted and then, in January, maybe a better option comes on the market but we already spent our budget on the d-list option.

It will though won’t it.
    Maybe, but if our new signing striker is no good, would it matter? For example, if we’d kept Josh Davison, would you be saying we don’t need a striker? And would you feel better about the prospect of starting him instead of, say, adapting so, perhaps, Payne plays as a false nine for a few matches?
  • edited August 2022
    Croydon said:
    Perhaps it’s a case they have enquired about strikers but the ones they think will be an improvement on Stockley, who is doing better than some

Stockley will 100% miss games this season due to injury or suspension. Leaburn is far too raw to be first choice when that happens and we simply can't be reliant on Aneke having one of his runs of actually being fit at the time. We need a striker 
    We need a striker who can play up top on their own and is, at least, better than Leaburn. If players fitting that bill are too expensive, not interested in joining us, or their current club will not sell, what would you like Charlton to do about that?

Now, I don’t know for certain that that is the case, but there’s an assumption by some that the club haven’t even tried to sign a striker but I find that hard to believe. And there’s been nothing official to say they aren’t trying, just perhaps they aren’t confident they can make the deal they want happen. 

As fans on here, we’ve only identified 3 players that would fit the bill - Stockton (question marks over how good he really is and Morecambe don’t seem keen to sell), Simpson (now looks like he’s Championship bound), and Wilks (probably out of price range).

You can need something all you want, but if what you need isn’t available then you might have no choice than to make do without it. 
  • edited August 2022

It will though won’t it.
    Maybe, but if our new signing striker is no good, would it matter? For example, if we’d kept Josh Davison, would you be saying we don’t need a striker? And would you feel better about the prospect of starting him instead of, say, adapting so, perhaps, Payne plays as a false nine for a few matches?
    Stockley made 33 starts last season and has only ever once played more than that in 10 seasons. Having Payne as a false nine for 13 games would be an interesting experiment, but unlikely to lead to promotion. Has anybody ever done it in League One? And even if, quite a big if, Aneke gets fit he is only ever an impact sub not a starter.
    We need another striker if we are to be promoted.
  • Yes we need another CB if they feel neither Ness nor Elewere are ready to be 4th choice, but it's so obvious that we need another option up front. 

When I think of how Cole Stockton played last season at The Valley, his movement and general busyness would have been perfect today.
    We don’t need a fourth choice back up CB. We need someone good enough to go straight in to the starting 11 and partner O’Connell.

Inniss doesn’t suit a play it out from the back style of play. Slowed the game down hugely today. Lavelle suits it better.
    I'd argue we need a striker good enough to replace Stockley, or at least challenge him, and that would be more of a priority than a first choice CB
  • Croydon said:

Stockley will 100% miss games this season due to injury or suspension. Leaburn is far too raw to be first choice when that happens and we simply can't be reliant on Aneke having one of his runs of actually being fit at the time. We need a striker 
    We need a striker who can play up top on their own and is, at least, better than Leaburn. If players fitting that bill are too expensive, not interested in joining us, or their current club will not sell, what would you like Charlton to do about that?

Now, I don’t know for certain that that is the case, but there’s an assumption by some that the club haven’t even tried to sign a striker but I find that hard to believe. And there’s been nothing official to say they aren’t trying, just perhaps they aren’t confident they can make the deal they want happen. 

As fans on here, we’ve only identified 3 players that would fit the bill - Stockton (question marks over how good he really is and Morecambe don’t seem keen to sell), Simpson (now looks like he’s Championship bound), and Wilks (probably out of price range).

You can need something all you want, but if what you need isn’t available then you might have no choice than to make do without it. 
    I agree with you there. I think we need one and but I also believe those at the club think we do too
  • Croydon said:

I agree. Even if fit, in the base case, as I thought I heard Jason Pierce saying on the tv commentary today, Stockley can’t keep up that high level of pressing for the whole 90 minutes. Regardless of us playing 4-3-3, I for one feel we need an additional striker who can come on and keep the energy level going. If we want to optimize the chances of promotion we should be doing our utmost to get someone in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps it’s a case they have enquired about strikers but the ones they think will be an improvement on Stockley, who is doing better than some

And frankly neither are that good for starters. Ok, but not good enough for a team aiming for promotion. 

If we just sign someone for the sake of it they might end being unused and  unwanted 

I can tell you one thing for certain, a new striker will neither be unused or unwanted. With our injury record I expect them to be used from day 1.......
  • Croydon said:

Players are always available for a price. Might have to push the boat out but spending an extra £250k now might mean not losing £8m next season (if we are still stuck in this division). 
  • A centre forward to compete with Stockley and hopefully oust him medium.term and a centre half who can play alongside our other new centre half.

Please.  
  • supaclive said:
    A centre forward to compete with Stockley and hopefully oust him medium.term and a centre half who can play alongside our other new centre half.

Please.  
    A centre forward that has the all round skills of a number 9, like Bent, Kermorgant, Mendonca, Taylor or Lookman, and not a Bonne like donkey who needs 10 chances a game and still fucks them up.  Would've done better with Lisbie up front today 

It will though won’t it.
    Stockley may not be heading goals at the moment but 2 of our recent goals have come as a direct result of him heading at goal.  Do you think Payne will be able to do that, get on the end of aerial crosses and hold the ball up that's not played to feet ?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Fuck of Sheffield Wednesday you don’t need any more good players.

All these top promotion chasing top league one clubs in for Stockton I see. 

It will though won’t it.
    Stockley may not be heading goals at the moment but 2 of our recent goals have come as a direct result of him heading at goal.  Do you think Payne will be able to do that, get on the end of aerial crosses and hold the ball up that's not played to feet ?  
    Ohh and forgot do you think Payne will be able to do the defensive headers out of our box at set plays. 
  • edited August 2022
    If we are looking for a left footed centre half then Jones today for Cambridge impressed me. Played number 6. Know nothing about him mind you.
    I think his name is Jones 
    He plays for Cambridge. 
    Wears the number 6 shirt.
    And is a left footed centre half. 

Glad to of been of help.
    Need to visit the Ryan Giggs school of poetry
  • Anybody who still has expectations of another striker coming in, I think should dampen them. Unless there is a whole lot of bluffing going on, my expectations are CB and a GK (in the event McG leaves). I think the plan is for goals coming from all over the pitch and very many on 5+, two to three on 10+. No reliance on a forward getting 20+ and Stockley being the focal point for holding up and chipping in. Garner has publicly said he does not want a big squad and has apparently also been clear where he still believes we need to strengthen. We are in a much stronger position than last year and I think only a bad batch injuries accumulating at the same time will negatively impact our push for the play offs. Feeling pretty positive, as sounds to me, Garner clear in his own mind and being backed, he will deliver upon a mix of existing, bought in experience combined with some of our prime and ready youth products & we are developing a style and identity that opposition managers are having to worry about.

What a difference a season or two makes when we were the ones focused on how to deal with the opposition. Bring the games on!
  • Sage said:
    It’s very, very clear that we need a striker.

Stockley is a good League One striker but if he’s not on it, it really doesn’t work and he doesn’t look great.

Aneke is a top League One striker but we have done this discussion to death.

Leaburn is only 18 and learning. He’s done very well but it’s not fair to pin any hopes on him.

No one in this division will get promoted with a strike force of just those 3.

A striker must be a priority because all it takes is Stockley to be out for any length of time and we will be very weak up front.

Without being disrespectful to anyone, it’s foolish to think otherwise. 
    I personally don’t disagree, but do not think this is the way it will go and think we ought to be very pleasantly surprised if if we do get another, rather than expectant at this stage, as my understanding is that this area is not being targeted for re-enforcement at this stage. Always a chance in the winter window depending on how the strikers and injuries fare I suspect?
  • With Chuk’s injury problems, we’re into the season with just one senior striker and a raw 18 year old, which is asking for trouble. 

The problem with the January window is that, first, it’s notoriously difficult to obtain value and, secondly, we may, by then have lost touch with the leading clubs.

The club are, very sensibly, playing their cards  very close to their chest. If the budget won’t accommodate a permanent deal, maybe a loan striker will come in from the Premier League or Championship. That’s always a gamble but probably preferable to overplaying the likes of Leaburn and Kanu when they’re not ready.