Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• People going on about we need stockton going on that one game last year again us.
    didn’t we make a lot of players look good last year and even most teams look premier class most times?
  • We will sign another forward and another defender before the window closes.
    On a striker let’s not forget what CEL said.
  • Scoham said:
    We will sign another forward and another defender before the window closes.
    I’ve been stockpiling logs, torches and pitchforks in case this turns out to be incorrect…😉
  • A striker is a priority for me and for most supporters so it's weird Garner doesnt seem to be saying that as well. Stockley is doing far better than I thought he would at holding the ball up and linking play, the trouble is that he just doesnt have the pace to keep up with the play once we are on the break. A pacey Stricker would be such an advantage with how we are playing this season. I still think we will sign one regardless of the club seemingly not focussing on it. Madness if we dont imo
  • Justafan said:
    People going on about we need stockton going on that one game last year again us.
    didn’t we make a lot of players look good last year and even most teams look premier class most times?
    23 league goals in L1 for a poor side is really impressive, and they were goals of all types too, from tap ins to worldies.

That he played well at The Valley also showed his all round game. 
  • Relying on Stockley to eat his Weetabix?  Absolute madness.

A&Eke will be out more than in this season.  Accepted madness

Leeeeaburn pressured to the detriment of his confidence.  Unacceptable madness.

A striker has got to come in.
  • Ipswich, Peterborough and Pompey are all scoring goals and have far more depth up front than we have. Failure to strengthen up front will almost certainly consign us to yet another season of mid-table mediocrity.
    Ipswich have scored one more goal than us although they’ve played the current 18th, 20th, 22nd and 24th team in the league. 
    They've also let in 3 fewer

Ipswich have a rock solid defence, they don't need to score lots of goals. We play open, attacking football so will concede more than them, we need to score more goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    It’s very, very clear that we need a striker.

Stockley is a good League One striker but if he’s not on it, it really doesn’t work and he doesn’t look great.

Aneke is a top League One striker but we have done this discussion to death.

Leaburn is only 18 and learning. He’s done very well but it’s not fair to pin any hopes on him.

No one in this division will get promoted with a strike force of just those 3.

A striker must be a priority because all it takes is Stockley to be out for any length of time and we will be very weak up front.

Without being disrespectful to anyone, it’s foolish to think otherwise. 
    This post fits your name. Very wise.
  • If we are to expect goals from all over the pitch - I'd go for Luke McCormick from the Wombles. Did Garner coach him at Bristol Rovers?  Would provide good depth from the bench - we were light at CM yesterday and we desperately needed a player of his ilk to come on in the 60th/65th.  

Granted we have McG, but I think we need more cover, esp if both Gilbey and JFC are off. I wouldn't want to rely on Henry at his age, although he looked mustard yesterday , passing like Morgan from deep. 
  • Blucher said:
    With Chuk’s injury problems, we’re into the season with just one senior striker and a raw 18 year old, which is asking for trouble. 

The problem with the January window is that, first, it’s notoriously difficult to obtain value and, secondly, we may, by then have lost touch with the leading clubs.

The club are, very sensibly, playing their cards  very close to their chest. If the budget won’t accommodate a permanent deal, maybe a loan striker will come in from the Premier League or Championship. That’s always a gamble but probably preferable to overplaying the likes of Leaburn and Kanu when they’re not ready.
    Have to agree with you.
    I was told a little while ago Permanent and Loan incoming both strikers.
    We have the loan now waiting for the permanent striker.
    Of course I would have thought it would have been other way round but still have faith in person who told me personally.
  • mart77 said:
    Scoham said:
    I’ve been stockpiling logs, torches and pitchforks in case this turns out to be incorrect…😉
    I’ll get some aloe Vera in.

in all seriousness we will sign a forward.

I felt compelled to have a trial run after your double down! 😉
  • Ipswich, Peterborough and Pompey are all scoring goals and have far more depth up front than we have. Failure to strengthen up front will almost certainly consign us to yet another season of mid-table mediocrity.
    Ipswich have scored one more goal than us although they’ve played the current 18th, 20th, 22nd and 24th team in the league. 

Ipswich have a rock solid defence, they don't need to score lots of goals. We play open, attacking football so will concede more than them, we need to score more goals.
    Yeah and they’ve also played 18th, 20th, 22nd and 24th in the league. We’ve not played anyone lower than 12th. 

How well would both of us done if the teams we had played had been reversed. We just don’t know yet, and it’s difficult to really compare this early on in the season.  
    Does league position say much 5 games into the season?
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    Ipswich, Peterborough and Pompey are all scoring goals and have far more depth up front than we have. Failure to strengthen up front will almost certainly consign us to yet another season of mid-table mediocrity.

Yeah and they’ve also played 18th, 20th, 22nd and 24th in the league. We’ve not played anyone lower than 12th. 

How well would both of us done if the teams we had played had been reversed. We just don’t know yet, and it’s difficult to really compare this early on in the season.  
    Does league position say much 5 games into the season?
    Not really - But there is a very strong argument that Derby | Sheff Wed | Plymouth will finish a lot higher in the League than Shrewsbury | Forest Green | Burton this coming season - The question is, will those three teams finish better than Accrington or Cambridge this coming season.

Once Ipswich have played someone expected to be fighting for promotion, we can then probably look into it a bit more, they might look good beating the teams they should brush aside, but struggle against those they need to beat... Basically the reverse of us at the present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Perhaps it’s a case they have enquired about strikers but the ones they think will be an improvement on Stockley, who is doing better than some
    will give him credit for, or Leaburn, who looks better than I think a lot of us expected, are out of reach. No point signing someone just for the sake of it. 

Or perhaps they just want to play their cards very close to their chest for fear of losing a deal by it becoming public knowledge too early.  

We’ll find out in a couple of weeks. 
    If Stockley or Leaburn get injured we are up creek.... we need another striker.
    IF. It’s not definitely going to happen so the management team has to balance that risk against what it will cost to sign a striker that will be worth actually adding to the wage bill. And whatever the bed wetting doom mongers will say, Aneke will be available for selection at some point.

Ideally we would be able to sign a decent striker, but this isn’t like January 2019 when we were playing 2 up front and sold Grant to leave us with only Taylor and the injured Vetokele so had to sign Parker because he was all we could get. Right now we have two decent, fit options for one position. 

If we just sign someone for the sake of it they might end being unused and  unwanted and then, in January, maybe a better option comes on the market but we already spent our budget on the d-list option.

it’s made out like it’s a black and white decision but it’s not. 

It will though won’t it.
    Maybe, but if our new signing striker is no good, would it matter? For example, if we’d kept Josh Davison, would you be saying we don’t need a striker? And would you feel better about the prospect of starting him instead of, say, adapting so, perhaps, Payne plays as a false nine for a few matches?
    Stockley may not be heading goals at the moment but 2 of our recent goals have come as a direct result of him heading at goal.  Do you think Payne will be able to do that, get on the end of aerial crosses and hold the ball up that's not played to feet ?  
    Ohh and forgot do you think Payne will be able to do the defensive headers out of our box at set plays. 
    Absolute madness if you're keeping a striker in the squad for his defensive ability 
    Agreed. I heard somebody sitting near me yesterday saying that Stockley as a defender is invaluable. All good if he scores a penalty every 4 games……
  • For 4-3-3 to work well, your central forward in the 3 isn't isolated. Why is this concept difficult for people to understand ?  I prefer twin strikers especially in the mediocre League 1 but I understand what Garner is trying to achieve but the jury will be out for sometime to see if we have enough goals when teams stifle us and double mark our X factor players like Rak Sakyi and CBT.

Against Plymouth we attacked in numbers as the Evatt and Garner system is based on support in attack and defence which is why 16 players over 90+ minutes and athletes are required as well as skill in possession and tracking back out of Possession. The passing and movement was good and Stockley was never isolated and his link up play was excellent. Against Cambridge the team didn't link as well over the duration and a draw was a fair result as we didn't do enough with our 66% possession.

We need another forward for the squad which is difficult as we can't give a guarantee they will play every week and from part time up to Premier, they are gold dust if they are goal scorers and should command a higher wage. They also need to fit our pattern of play. Goal scorers are needed in any system unless you park two buses and play for 0-0 which isn't "Garnerball".

Daniel Kanu is 18 in November and by that time a lad with his eye for goal should be in the 1st team squad in League 1.  Stockley is playing well but just not taking chances at the moment but he is leading the line well and carry out Ben Garner remit of coming short to link the play.

We need a couple more players with a forward being one of them. The Pope is Catholic and we need another forward as Chuks seems to have even more injury problems that when he left for Birmingham.

Hopefully Steve Gallen will pull a rabbit out the hat because the top 6 will be difficult as I just can't see as gaining enough wins.
  • mart77 said:
    Scoham said:
    I’ll get some aloe Vera in.

in all seriousness we will sign a forward.
    A forward and a striker are two different things. We need a striker
  • I think it was established some pages back that "we need a striker who scores goals". 

Pacey forwards, tricky-dicky step-over merchants,  false nines, injury-prone tens,  lumbering journey men who once notched up 15 in a season, talented midgets from PL academies,  and hard working donkeys need not apply. 
  • edited August 2022
    That’s depressing. Three players I wanted us to sign. Well, one of them anyway. Wilks in particular. Cheers AC.
    :-(

BUt:
    @Lewis Coaches saves the day! ‘ Well I have been told otherwise.
    Another striker is incoming.
    Have faith in this person that he is telling the truth.
    It will be before this transfer period is up.’

My feeling has always been that they’re still working on a striker, and we’ll have one post Wycombe. 🤞
  • Scoham said:
    Seems to think Gilbey's Welsh! If he does do to Lincoln, it'll effectively end up a straight swap between McGrandles and Gilbey