Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• cabbles said:
    Anyone know roughly what Aneke is earning a week?
    Not sure, but strongly expect the next deal he gets will be pay as you play. If he’s unavailable for a large tranch of this first half of the season, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to try and loan him out in Jan 
    Wouldn't think there's another club idiotic enough to take him off our hands unless we pay all of his wages unless he plays xxx amount of minutes
  • Disappointed by Mr Cawley's response to the Stockton rumour. I accept that if Stockton was acquired by the club it would be a choice between him and Stockley as to who plays. I have no problem with this and totally agree.
    However, the fact remains that if Stockley was injured in the first week of September, we would be left with an injury prone Aneke and the promising Miles Leaburn. Even a fit Stockley concerns me - he is not a goal-poacher, and most of his goals are either from headers or from the penalty spot.
    For a team that is endeavouring to secure a play-off place at worst, that would be completely inadequate, and a top six place would become no more than a pipe-dream.
    Having been a Charlton supporter since 1959, the best teams I have been privileged to watch have been those with potency where in matters - in the opposition penalty box.  Summers, Firmani, Leary, Tees and Treacy, Hales and Flanagan, and more recently Andy Hunt, Bent (D not M), Wright-Phillips and Kermogant, and, it irks me to admit this, LyleTaylor. All these were capable of scoring 20 goals a season.
    Too often I have seen a Charlton side struggle with the likes of Plumb, Bobby Hunt, Endean, and more recently, Benson, Church,  Sordell and McLeod. 
    I apologise if this post seems overly pessimistic, but I am desperate to see the club compete at a higher level. The start to the season has been encouraging, but I have seen too many false-dawns, and without strengthening our offensive options I fear the worst. 

No mate just realistic.
  • Premier League inside 5 years and Champions League in 10, blow our way out of L1 to...

"I don’t have a transfer fee available to go and bid for him. At the moment that would be a non-starter for us.”

Him being a L2 player.

Whatever you think of TS he could not have set expectations any more poorly when he arrived!
    but at least we're Premiership ready for when we do make it. Isn't that right Olly ............. Olly ?

(with apologies to Olly)
  • Are we really that strapped for cash we can’t afford paying 500k for McKirdy, or is it just downplaying it so that clubs/agents don’t try think we’ve got money to burn?
    Well sandgaard wants to cut losses from 8 mill to 4 mill this season. How long before staff are banned from eating crisps at their desks ?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Gilbey is soooo frustrating. He looks great when getting hold of the ball and then running with it, causing panic in the opposition, but then more often than not massively over hits the pass. When he gets it right he’s quality, but sadly it isn’t often enough. 
    Agree entirely. Curbs really rated him for a long time on Charlton TV. I think he's been found out and, if we harbour designs on getting out of this division, we need a full squad CONSISTENTLY performing at high levels. Gilbey can't promise that. Maybe Orient is best for his next chapter. I wish him well. 
  • TEL said:
    DOUCHER said:
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    I don't agree that a striker won't come to us as he won't play every week.... now there are five subs of course they will.... might spur Stockley on as well... still don't think he fits the system though.
    Plus of course if a striker is coming on loan then you'd assume it's because he's got almost zero chance of playing at his own club. So playing a bit for us is obviously better than nothing at wherever he is.
    I think there is a great opportunity for someone to come in and make the CF position their own. 
    agreed - as has been said a million times - stockley is decent at what target men do - but he isn't ideal for what we are doing and is a definite position to be upgraded if we are to get promoted - regardless of all the guff about others scoring and wide forwards arriving at the back post and all that - if you don't have a striker playing on the shoulder, you've lost half your attacking options  
    Remains to be seen if those at the club feel the same. I think they may have snookered themselves by making Stockley captain. Having said that Pearce was dropped fairly frequently 

Stockley comes across as a really nice bloke but whilst playing all he seems to do is give a thumbs up when acknowledging a good ball he failed to connect to or waving his arms about and whining. As good a target man he undoubtedly is, it doesn't suit this game plan. 
    Stockley to me seems a good captain off the pitch, but is a bit moany and self centred on the pitch for a captain
    'Bit moany and self centered'?  Jeez. Not like any posters on here, then.  B)
  • supaclive said:
    The simplest point is why sign JFC.  To get a transfer fee that is non existent?  Madness.
    I don’t think that’s why, I think as a former POTY and someone JJ would have kept the club assumed any new manager would want him.

I expect the extension option be triggered after the season ended (I saw that mentioned somewhere relating to another player) and presumably had a deadline for it to be done by, which was probably before Garner could have his input.

Whatever it is there’s something about his game that Garner doesn’t rate or see fitting in the system. I can only think it’s related to a lack of mobility and/or his passing style, on paper I think most of our fans would say he could fit into this team. Some would still want him as a starter.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    The simplest point is why sign JFC.  To get a transfer fee that is non existent?  Madness.
    I don’t think that’s why, I think as a former POTY and someone JJ would have kept the club assumed any new manager would want him.

I expect the extension option be triggered after the season ended (I saw that mentioned somewhere relating to another player) and presumably had a deadline for it to be done by, which was probably before Garner could have his input.

Whatever it is there’s something about his game that Garner doesn’t rate or see fitting in the system. I can only think it’s related to a lack of mobility and/or his passing style, on paper I think most of our fans would say he could fit into this team. Some would still want him as a starter.
    I wouldn’t - I stand by my opinion he’s neat and tidy and nothing more 
  • So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
  • _MrDick said:
    So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
    Where did you see that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

I think it is a lot more complicated than that.

All things being equal Garner would be happy with JFC as one of his 6.  They aren't equal.

The best thing for everyone is now for JFC to leave the club.  The problem is where.  He can only move downwards until he proves his fitness.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

All things being equal Garner would be happy with JFC as one of his 6.  They aren't equal.

The best thing for everyone is now for JFC to leave the club.  The problem is where.  He can only move downwards until he proves his fitness.  
    How is it more complicated? Why aren't things equal?
  • Scoham said:
    _MrDick said:
    So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
    Where did you see that?
     On this thread https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94585/a-personal-and-touching-moment-from-charlton#latest
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

There is an "issue" with his contract.  
  • JamesSeed said:
    Gilbey is soooo frustrating. He looks great when getting hold of the ball and then running with it, causing panic in the opposition, but then more often than not massively over hits the pass. When he gets it right he’s quality, but sadly it isn’t often enough. 
    Agree entirely. Curbs really rated him for a long time on Charlton TV. I think he's been found out and, if we harbour designs on getting out of this division, we need a full squad CONSISTENTLY performing at high levels. Gilbey can't promise that. Maybe Orient is best for his next chapter. I wish him well. 
    I just don’t think he’s very good.  There’s only a point up until you can say he’s frustrating, and the longer it goes on, you realise, there’s just not enough quality.  

I can understand Curbs complimenting him, because Gilbey would be one of those players that does what is asked of him for the team, and, I don’t think Curbs would express how he really feels about him on the camera, most pundits don’t.  I think if you get Curbs behind closed doors, given his years of experience in the game and not on camera, I doubt he would’ve rated many of the players last season.  That’s just my opinion, but I think we always get the rose tinted view on punditry, not what they really think.

Gilbey always tried hard, and was as much a victim to the last 2 years of turmoil off the pitch as well as on it, playing under 3 different managers.  However, he didn’t convince under any of them and I think League Two is his level.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

Are you able to elaborate?
    He's a decent player and it seems daft that we have boxed ourselves into some sort of corner with him
  • ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    TS is currently based in England until at least the end of this year, if he's gone to the US he will be back shortly. 
    That’s unusual for him isn’t it? Could fuel the rumours he’s looking for investors or a sale…
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

He's a decent player and it seems daft that we have boxed ourselves into some sort of corner with him
    As I understand it (and it's possible/probable I am incorrect), there was a salary cut written into his contract if the additional year was triggered by the club. Basically the intention was to try to sell him on, but not have to keep paying him a large salary until he went.

Not sure if there was a salary increase based on performance numbers written into it also. 

• Are we really that strapped for cash we can’t afford paying 500k for McKirdy, or is it just downplaying it so that clubs/agents don’t try think we’ve got money to burn?
    Well sandgaard wants to cut losses from 8 mill to 4 mill this season. How long before staff are banned from eating crisps at their desks ?
    As custodian of the Club, he has a duty to try and minimise losses. No one wants to see the losses increase. RD ran up huge debts and we are now effectively indebted to him for them as he still wants to recover them in his asking price for the Valley & SL.

I would say having debts lessens the prospects of another buyer appearing who might be prepared to take us on, but we all know football's a funny old game and we are just an insane multi billionaire with no respect for the FFP rules or financial prudence away from the big time. I can't for the life of me understand why they're not queuing up. 

On thread, I predict at least one player transfer to happen today, either way to keep it vague.
  • swordfish said:
    Are we really that strapped for cash we can’t afford paying 500k for McKirdy, or is it just downplaying it so that clubs/agents don’t try think we’ve got money to burn?
    As custodian of the Club, he has a duty to try and minimise losses. No one wants to see the losses increase. RD ran up huge debts and we are now effectively indebted to him for them as he still wants to recover them in his asking price for the Valley & SL.

I would say having debts lessens the prospects of another buyer appearing who might be prepared to take us on, but we all know football's a funny old game and we are just an insane multi billionaire with no respect for the FFP rules or financial prudence away from the big time. I can't for the life of me understand why they're not queuing up. 

On thread, I predict at least one player transfer to happen today, either way to keep it vague.
    You are undoubtedly right. The problem is, until that insane multi billionaire comes along to buy Charlton it is almost inevitable they will just keep bob, bob, bobbing along as a lower level league club. It's either that or we land on a manager who can produce miracles with relatively slim financial resources. Over the past few years we seem to have managed to work our way through a long list of candidates who have tried to do that. We will soon see if Ben Garner is that man.
  • edited August 2022
    Lyle Taylor can leave on a free according to Forest today 
    I think there’s more chance of me signing for. Charlton, and I’m in my 50’s!!!
    Age is just a number...can you pass the height test, if so you're in.. B)
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    TS is currently based in England until at least the end of this year, if he's gone to the US he will be back shortly. 
    That’s unusual for him isn’t it? Could fuel the rumours he’s looking for investors or a sale…
    Or just sorting the shit out?
  • edited August 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

As I understand it (and it's possible/probable I am incorrect), there was a salary cut written into his contract if the additional year was triggered by the club. Basically the intention was to try to sell him on, but not have to keep paying him a large salary until he went.

Not sure if there was a salary increase based on performance numbers written into it also. 

I think it was more of the case the whole contract was a massive salary cut, which was fair enough as he was injured.

The original issue, again I could be wrong, is he couldn’t, or the club won't let him,  prove his recovery.  I suspect that's both true, from a certain POV.

Now no one who can afford him, will buy him until/unless he proves his recovery.

We are now in a situation where we might end up paying him to play for someone else, that he doesn't want to play for, just to get out of a situation that was avoidable by both sides.  At a number of points.

I still don't believe that it's JFC being here that has prevented us signing a striker.
  • No doubt JFC will get a run out tonight. Hopefully prospective suitors will be watching.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

I think it was more of the case the whole contract was a massive salary cut, which was fair enough as he was injured.

The original issue, again I could be wrong, is he couldn’t, or the club won't let him,  prove his recovery.  I suspect that's both true, from a certain POV.

Now no one who can afford him, will buy him until/unless he proves his recovery.

We are now in a situation where we might end up paying him to play for someone else, that he doesn't want to play for, just to get out of a situation that was avoidable by both sides.  At a number of points.

I still don't believe that it's JFC being here that has prevented us signing a striker.
    If he’s taken a massive salary cut then why can no one afford him? Wouldn’t that make a move a lot easier, as a new contract should at least be equal to what he’s now earning?

If he’s expecting a new club to pay him what he was earning a few years ago then is he being unrealistic?
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

If he’s taken a massive salary cut then why can no one afford him? Wouldn’t that make a move a lot easier, as a new contract should at least be equal to what he’s now earning?

If he’s expecting a new club to pay him what he was earning a few years ago then is he being unrealistic?
    I think if he had had a chance to prove his fitness then that may not be an issue. IMO the issue is that another club would be taking a risk in signing him now - without a run of games behind him , and therefore would be reluctant to sign him on a contract apart from a pay as you play. from JFC's point of view , no matter if he is earning less than he was a few years ago , a Pay as you play contract is not the way he wants to go. So either the club loans him out and pays his wages or they find someone to take a chance.