Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Redhenry said:
    Rothko said:
    basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

In response to the Stockton rumours:

"I dont know why it seems that people think he is a target..."

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week. 
    blah blah blah...
    Insightful comment. 
    maybe i'll just repeat the same thing hundreds of times.. Boring btw
  • Big no from me on Scully. Not for any footballing reason, I just can't take the the threads of X-Files jokes that would follow
    Thought you were old enough to remember the TV series about the footballer called "Scully"

I'm 32!
  • Rothko said:
    basic comprehension isn't some people's highest skill 

In response to the Stockton rumours:

"I dont know why it seems that people think he is a target..."

Because if Stockley breaks a leg next week we are left with just Leaburn ffs !!!

I will laugh my arse off it this happens. Total incompetence if we dont sign a striker before the end of next week. 
    I don’t think I will find it as funny. Can’t see anybody that good being signed, Stockley is captain and will be first choice striker. When we bring another striker in they will be back up, not a starter.
    I'd say that's a very narrow minded view. Players get injured, lose form, have personal issues....

But this will be my last comment on the subject. Its been done to death. We all know we need another striker - be it to compete with Stockley or to replace him if he is out injured. It would be folly not to. 
  • Premier League inside 5 years and Champions League in 10, blow our way out of L1 to...

"I don’t have a transfer fee available to go and bid for him. At the moment that would be a non-starter for us.”

Him being a L2 player.

Whatever you think of TS he could not have set expectations any more poorly when he arrived!
    I do think (as mentioned above) that the share price of Zynex might be having a bearing on our transfer dealings. Needed our new owner to be a part owner of Shell or B.Gas. 
  • Money from Pope this summer, money from Burstow in January, and yet we are too tight to spend a single fee on someone this transfer window. Talks a complete load of shite Sandgaard, but at least we have a nice wanky American song on spotify 
    Clueless 
  • edited August 2022
    Aaron Pierre. Left footed centre back, last contracted to Shrewsbury. Would favour a move back to London.
  • Aaron Pierre. Left footed centre back, last contracted to Shrewsbury. Would favour a move back to London.
    Is this supposition, or do you know something? 
  • So, Gilbey still clinging on?
  • Leuth said:
    Aaron Pierre. Left footed centre back, last contracted to Shrewsbury. Would favour a move back to London.
    Is this supposition, or do you know something? 
    Makes the most sense out of everyone that's actually available.
  • Can’t wait for the window to slam shut. It’s like a very tedious tennis rally between Charlton fans. Hopefully some activity will keep everyone happy and we can all unite towards getting out of this bloody league.
  • Sponsored links:

• felix_31 said:
    I understand this isn't strictly transfer rumour related, but it is budget related, and that has been brought up.  The share price of Zynex has dropped 28% this year.  I do wonder if this is influencing TS' ownership of CAFC, and whether he is understandably unwilling to sell any of his shares (i.e. realise them for cash to buy players) when the price is so deflated.  

In July of 2020, he sold 1,250,000 shares for $22 a piece, realising $27.5m - I assume to help fund the purchase of CAFC. A smaller sale raising $2.69m occurred last summer with the share price $15.  Each share is now worth $9, and hit a low of $5 in June of this year.  The transaction of 2020 would raise $11.25m today - less than half. 

It is perceived as madness to sell at the bottom, and perhaps that, in turn, is affecting our budget this summer? 
    I would agree with this. It's not that he's skint, because he's not, and the stock market is rebounding, but the psychological affect of selling while low I'm sure will influence his thinking to a certain degree. I'm also sure that he will still make a judgement call as to whether the sale is worth the loss.
  • I would be more concerned if we come out and told everyone how much we had to spend …. think we just keeping things very close like all the deals we have done … it makes discussions much more difficult if a club knows you got 5 mill to spend .

we will sign CB and a forward ( not a striker ) and most likey a back up holding mid player 
    We will, or we may?
  • mart77 said:
    Can’t wait for the window to slam shut. It’s like a very tedious tennis rally between Charlton fans. Hopefully some activity will keep everyone happy and we can all unite towards getting out of this bloody league.
    Don’t mention that word on here…………,House of Commoners thread surely 😉.
  • edited August 2022
    RedChaser said:
    mart77 said:
    Can’t wait for the window to slam shut. It’s like a very tedious tennis rally between Charlton fans. Hopefully some activity will keep everyone happy and we can all unite towards getting out of this bloody league.
    The House of Commoners thread has been slammed shut!
  • 995632 said:
    Money from Pope this summer, money from Burstow in January, and yet we are too tight to spend a single fee on someone this transfer window. Talks a complete load of shite Sandgaard, but at least we have a nice wanky American song on spotify 
    Genuine question, what difference does it make to spend a fee vs sign an out of contract player?

These "haven't spent a penny" lot don't seem to equate an out of contact player needing a signing bonus, probable agents fee etc. Not to mention paying up Garner's contract, that wasn't free. 

It is alleged that the Pope money is being paid in instalments and we get a percentage over the £1.5mill fee Burnley supposedly agreed with us. So the £2mill Newcastle allegedly paid so far for Pope is no where near the 20% of the £20+ million people thought the Pope fee would be at the start of summer.

The 1mill for Burstow has probably already gone keeping everything running (not even considering the increase in costs of literally keeping the lights on - approx 250% increase like other businesses). 

Unless someone else's pockets are sufficiently deep enough to bankroll an odds on title winning side, pay all debts, agree to Roland's rediculous demands to purchase the ground and Sparrows Lane and be happy to write off £8mill+ a year (and then agree to chucking in 5-10x that amount after getting back into the Championship to even just stand still and not get relegated.)then we need to get behind the team and Garner. 

Live, love, laugh and be happy! 

We aren't going to be losing 40-80 million in the championship! 
  • JamesSeed said:
    RedChaser said:
    mart77 said:
    The House of Commoners thread has been slammed shut!
    That’s what taking a sabbatical does for you 😉. And c’mon James you must know that Ronnie Moore is the font of all knowledge on all things Charlton 🙄.

• Chunes said:
    It's really not a big deal for me tbh. We've got a better team than we did last year. And the year before. And a better coach. If we don't have 500k to spend on a fourth striker, then ok. We've had worse problems. 
    ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

I think we will get another attacker in for what it’s worth, but we’re in such a better place than this time last year.
  • Lyle Taylor can leave on a free according to Forest today 
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    It's really not a big deal for me tbh. We've got a better team than we did last year. And the year before. And a better coach. If we don't have 500k to spend on a fourth striker, then ok. We've had worse problems. 
    ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

I think we will get another attacker in for what it’s worth, but we’re in such a better place than this time last year.
    Definitely in a better place, but if we’d not let Washington go, then I’d say playoffs would be a good shout based on our performances so far.
  • edited August 2022
    I rate McKirdy but why he is so favoured over Stockton? They both have similar goal scoring records (Stocktons is slightly better) I grant McKirdy can play across the front line but he is def not an out & out striker. 
    Agreed

People slightly unfairly moan that Stockton was a one season wonder, but that season was in L1, whereas McKirdy has literally had one good season in L2. He hardly played the season before, for Port Vale, while in 2019/20 for Carlisle he scored 5 goals in 28 league appearances.

Our weakness isn't in the wide attacking positions, it's in the Number 9 position.
    But then a lot of that has to do with the fans' understanding of what the number 9 position could be for us. Garner played at Swindon with both McKirdy and Davison up front at different times and used them differently. Davison as more of an out and out striker like Stockley and McKirdy as a player able to rotate with his wingers to create space through uncertainty of marking. It was McKirdy who got the massive goal return, so it stands to reason that being able to play a striker with his movement could change a lot for us. Bringing in another striker who is more like Stockley in that he's just an out and out striker limits our ability to change things around and I don't think Garner would like that as much as the flexibility someone like McKirdy would offer.
    And dare I say it but a lack of a quality centre forward - ie Davison - is probably what cost them promotion 
  • felix_31 said:
    I understand this isn't strictly transfer rumour related, but it is budget related, and that has been brought up.  The share price of Zynex has dropped 28% this year.  I do wonder if this is influencing TS' ownership of CAFC, and whether he is understandably unwilling to sell any of his shares (i.e. realise them for cash to buy players) when the price is so deflated.  

In July of 2020, he sold 1,250,000 shares for $22 a piece, realising $27.5m - I assume to help fund the purchase of CAFC. A smaller sale raising $2.69m occurred last summer with the share price $15.  Each share is now worth $9, and hit a low of $5 in June of this year.  The transaction of 2020 would raise $11.25m today - less than half. 

It is perceived as madness to sell at the bottom, and perhaps that, in turn, is affecting our budget this summer? 
    Nail on the head Felix I believe.
  • CafcSCP said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    ☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

Definitely in a better place, but if we’d not let Washington go, then I’d say playoffs would be a good shout based on our performances so far.
    Genuine question as I don’t know the answer.

Was it purely a case of we said ‘we don’t want you anymore.’ Or did he say he wanted to explore other options?

Fwiw, I liked Washington but I don’t think he fits this system particularly. He was always rubbish out wide and his shooting/hold up play/heading were not good enough to play in the strikers position.

I believe he was on quite high wages so probably has helped pay for at least 2 new signings.
  • 995632 said:
    Money from Pope this summer, money from Burstow in January, and yet we are too tight to spend a single fee on someone this transfer window. Talks a complete load of shite Sandgaard, but at least we have a nice wanky American song on spotify 
    Genuine question, what difference does it make to spend a fee vs sign an out of contract player?

These "haven't spent a penny" lot don't seem to equate an out of contact player needing a signing bonus, probable agents fee etc. Not to mention paying up Garner's contract, that wasn't free. 

It is alleged that the Pope money is being paid in instalments and we get a percentage over the £1.5mill fee Burnley supposedly agreed with us. So the £2mill Newcastle allegedly paid so far for Pope is no where near the 20% of the £20+ million people thought the Pope fee would be at the start of summer.

The 1mill for Burstow has probably already gone keeping everything running (not even considering the increase in costs of literally keeping the lights on - approx 250% increase like other businesses). 

Unless someone else's pockets are sufficiently deep enough to bankroll an odds on title winning side, pay all debts, agree to Roland's rediculous demands to purchase the ground and Sparrows Lane and be happy to write off £8mill+ a year (and then agree to chucking in 5-10x that amount after getting back into the Championship to even just stand still and not get relegated.)then we need to get behind the team and Garner. 

Live, love, laugh and be happy! 

Well said.🖖