Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    If TS doesn't want to lose £8m next year he should invest money in acquiring two saleable assets that appreciate in value.

That way he won't be wasting money, he'll be investing it.

The more wins.  The higher gate receipts, Valley pass purchases, TV money, potential Championship promotion.

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

McKirdy more likely to not lose value v Stockton 

Buy McKirdy

It isn't actually rocket science.

He tried that with Kirk (failed), Lavelle (failed).  It may work with Dobson and Clare but I think both are out of contract end of this season.  If McKirdy was a guarantee of success someone would have bought him already.
  • supaclive said:
    If TS doesn't want to lose £8m next year he should invest money in acquiring two saleable assets that appreciate in value.

The more wins.  The higher gate receipts, Valley pass purchases, TV money, potential Championship promotion.

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

Buy McKirdy

It’s so simple, why doesn’t every club do that.

Peterborough still lose around £7-8m a year and have spent most of the last 15 years in L1, we should copy them.
  • supaclive said:

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

Buy McKirdy

Peterborough still lose around £7-8m a year and have spent most of the last 15 years in L1, we should copy them.
    They don't 

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

Buy McKirdy

Because football club owners think.they know best when very few of them have football experience.

Posh also have not spent most of the last 15 seasons in League 1 and do NOT lose £7-8m per year.

Get your facts right first.....
    Whats the different between a club owner with very little Football experience, and the majority of fans who have little Football experience either?
  • JamesSeed said:
    RedChaser said:
    mart77 said:
    Can’t wait for the window to slam shut. It’s like a very tedious tennis rally between Charlton fans. Hopefully some activity will keep everyone happy and we can all unite towards getting out of this bloody league.
    Don’t mention that word on here…………,House of Commoners thread surely 😉.
    The House of Commoners thread has been slammed shut!

The problem with the house of Commoners thread, was there were too many joining and posting who hadn't taken their medication.
    Interesting insight never the less.

For Ben Garner's sake I hope we get a forward in who can cover all 3 forward positions. ( Can score and make assists which should be mandatory for playing in any of the 3 front positions and play off/near to Jayden when possible.

Must dash, I forgot the blue tablet at 7pm.

• Posh lessen their losses by selling their best players……..imagine the furore if we started doing that 
  • Posh lessen their losses by selling their best players……..imagine the furore if we started doing that 
    Don't we do that, too (Burstow etc)? It's just that we haven't had any valuable assets to sell in the past few seasons. If we sold players for a healthy profit and re-invested the money into shrewd new signings, I don't think there would be that much furore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Posh lessen their losses by selling their best players……..imagine the furore if we started doing that 
    We have been doing that for the last 50 years!
    Do posh buy players? 
  • edited August 2022
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Posh lessen their losses by selling their best players……..imagine the furore if we started doing that 
    Do posh buy players? 
    Yes, lots of them.  Especially forwards.

Top in

Very similar to top outs

Washington, Gale and Toney also cost a fair bit.
    Don't we do that, too (Burstow etc)? It's just that we haven't had any valuable assets to sell in the past few seasons. If we sold players for a healthy profit and re-invested the money into shrewd new signings, I don't think there would be that much furore.
    Isn’t  he the only one we have sold  for a few years ?I think the posh model is to keep them for a few years until they become a high performer in the first team and then sell them. MacAnthony , love him or hate him usually gets good money for his players. 

• esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Do posh buy players? 
    Yup , buy them - develop them and sell them high. 
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Make that 60 years, Billy Bonds, Marvin Hinton, Mike Bailey, Lenny Glover off the top of the head 😉 
    Edit; not forgetting Eddie Firmani of course to Sampdoria 1955.
  • Maybe I’m in the minority, but i actually feel quite positive about the season ahead, and have really enjoyed the football so far this season, granted it couldn’t get much worse.

This league is extremely tight, team morale and togetherness is important and it feels like we have that this year.

Yes we could do with another LB, CB and Striker, but no one should be demanding it. 

None of us know the financial ins and outs and ultimately it’s not our money to spend. 

I could do with a couple more team members at work to take our service levels up to the next level, but I won’t get that, there are financial constraints that I have to work within. 

I’m confident will be in and around the playoffs. 
    I am confident we will be significantly better than last year at will be at least challenging for a play off place.

I am not demanding a striker but we have been a striker short since Chuks left 20 months ago.  Yes we resigned him but have lost Ronnie, Davison and Washington since.

I can not get my head round the fact we have used up the budget and need to move a player, who's contract we renewed 10 weeks ago, to free up wages.  

Since we last increased the number of strikers at the club we have signed 7 central midfielders and lost 3 strikers.

I think it's fair to be frustrated at least.  Like I said earlier a couple of 100k is a lot of money, but not relatively to our wage bill it isn't.
  • Bugger. I thought I saw a transfer rumour about some guy from Shrewsbury, but the thread morphed and next thing I knew. It was Zynex share value.

Sigh

• Aaron Pierre looks an interesting option. He was Poty at Shrewsbury the year before last and as a left footer he offers us something different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

Aaron Pierre looks an interesting option. He was Poty at Shrewsbury the year before last and as a left footer he offers us something different.
    Was he a suggestion or is he a name that has been linked?
  • edited August 2022
    mart77 said:
    Richard J said:

Aaron Pierre looks an interesting option. He was Poty at Shrewsbury the year before last and as a left footer he offers us something different.
    Callum suggested him earlier on.

5:38PM edited 5:39PM
    Aaron Pierre. Left footed centre back, last contracted to Shrewsbury. Would favour a move back to London
  • I see latest Tyreece Simpson rumours are that Huddersfield will win the race bit may then loam him to L1.  Barnsley and Peterborough linked.but you would think we would look at that if possible.
  • edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    I actually see that interview by garner as moving us a step closer to signing mkirdy - if u take all the fluff out of the interview it basically says publicly that garner wants to sign him - everything else we already knew about really 
    What I thought really. My main take away was we haven't got disposable cash in the budget to pay a transfer fee for a player when we have at least two players on the wage bill that the manager doesn't want to be here (Gilbey and JFC... and possibly McGillivray too) and potentially at least another one that had been budgeted not to be here (Kirk). We presumably knew that Garner rates McKirdy based in the tune he got out of him last season. We also knew we need to churn the squad to see more inflow. I'm not sure there's anything new apart from to actually put in black and white that Garner would like to bring McKirdy in if he could.
  • I see latest Tyreece Simpson rumours are that Huddersfield will win the race bit may then loam him to L1.  Barnsley and Peterborough linked.but you would think we would look at that if possible.
    I can't see Huddersfield buying a player from one division below them to immediately loan him out again. They don't have the sort of financial resources to do that, they need to improve their current side
    Different level but they signed Kyle Hudlin from Solihull (5th tier) and loaned him to Wimbledon. You'd think Simpson would be a similar signing, a player for the future rather than to immediately improve their first team.
  • Scoham said:
    I see latest Tyreece Simpson rumours are that Huddersfield will win the race bit may then loam him to L1.  Barnsley and Peterborough linked.but you would think we would look at that if possible.
    I can't see Huddersfield buying a player from one division below them to immediately loan him out again. They don't have the sort of financial resources to do that, they need to improve their current side
    Different level but they signed Kyle Hudlin from Solihull (5th tier) and loaned him to Wimbledon. You'd think Simpson would be a similar signing, a player for the future rather than to immediately improve their first team.
    They did the same when they signed Sorba Thomas from Boreham Wood

He went straight out on loan to Harrogate
  • RedChaser said:
    mart77 said:
    Richard J said:

Aaron Pierre. Left footed centre back, last contracted to Shrewsbury. Would favour a move back to London
    I was effectively trying to bump this.

Has he been linked?
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Buy appreciating assets
    Peterborough do it
    Brentford do it

Buy McKirdy

Because football club owners think.they know best when very few of them have football experience.

Posh also have not spent most of the last 15 seasons in League 1 and do NOT lose £7-8m per year.

Get your facts right first.....
    11 of their last 15 seasons in L1 so yeah most of the time in L1. I’ll have word with my Posh supporting mate for giving me duff info on their losses. 

Genuine question though, if it’s so simple and it’s foolproof why doesn’t every club do it?
  • Richard J said:
    RedChaser said:
    mart77 said:
    Richard J said:

I was effectively trying to bump this.

Has he been linked?
    No, not linked anywhere in the press. In an effort to try getting the rumours thread back on track, I looked at lists of free agent left footed centre backs and he was the most obvious choice after Naby Sarr.