Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    What happens before the famous slamming shut will potentially be massive for the club. 
    No signings, and I think we struggle to make the play offs.
    The right signings and we’ll be in with a decent shout. 
    Peterborough, Ipswich, Wednesday and Portsmouth look to have very strong squads, and will probably finish above us. Then there’s Bolton and Derby. 
    Sandgaard would be crazy not to invest right now.
    Maybe but can you see the potential flaw there?
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    The simplest point is why sign JFC.  To get a transfer fee that is non existent?  Madness.
    I don’t think that’s why, I think as a former POTY and someone JJ would have kept the club assumed any new manager would want him.

I expect the extension option be triggered after the season ended (I saw that mentioned somewhere relating to another player) and presumably had a deadline for it to be done by, which was probably before Garner could have his input.

Whatever it is there’s something about his game that Garner doesn’t rate or see fitting in the system. I can only think it’s related to a lack of mobility and/or his passing style, on paper I think most of our fans would say he could fit into this team. Some would still want him as a starter.
    I think it is a lot more complicated than that.

All things being equal Garner would be happy with JFC as one of his 6.  They aren't equal.

The best thing for everyone is now for JFC to leave the club.  The problem is where.  He can only move downwards until he proves his fitness.  
    How is it more complicated? Why aren't things equal?
    There is an "issue" with his contract.  
    Are you able to elaborate?
    He's a decent player and it seems daft that we have boxed ourselves into some sort of corner with him
    As I understand it (and it's possible/probable I am incorrect), there was a salary cut written into his contract if the additional year was triggered by the club. Basically the intention was to try to sell him on, but not have to keep paying him a large salary until he went.

Not sure if there was a salary increase based on performance numbers written into it also. 

I think it was more of the case the whole contract was a massive salary cut, which was fair enough as he was injured.

The original issue, again I could be wrong, is he couldn’t, or the club won't let him,  prove his recovery.  I suspect that's both true, from a certain POV.

Now no one who can afford him, will buy him until/unless he proves his recovery.

We are now in a situation where we might end up paying him to play for someone else, that he doesn't want to play for, just to get out of a situation that was avoidable by both sides.  At a number of points.

I still don't believe that it's JFC being here that has prevented us signing a striker.
    If he’s taken a massive salary cut then why can no one afford him? Wouldn’t that make a move a lot easier, as a new contract should at least be equal to what he’s now earning?

If he’s expecting a new club to pay him what he was earning a few years ago then is he being unrealistic?
    It's unrealistic if he hasn't recovered.  When he did the injury in the first place there was championship offers on the table.

He probably feels if he had either had a run of 10 odd games at the end of last season, or had been released at the end of his contract, allowing him to try and prove it else where, he would be able to get what he thinks he is worth, even if it was a new contract here.
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
    TS is currently based in England until at least the end of this year, if he's gone to the US he will be back shortly. 
    That’s unusual for him isn’t it? Could fuel the rumours he’s looking for investors or a sale…
    Can't afford the cost of the flights with the cost fuel going up!! Tough time!!
  • edited August 2022
    swordfish said:
    Are we really that strapped for cash we can’t afford paying 500k for McKirdy, or is it just downplaying it so that clubs/agents don’t try think we’ve got money to burn?
    Well sandgaard wants to cut losses from 8 mill to 4 mill this season. How long before staff are banned from eating crisps at their desks ?
    As custodian of the Club, he has a duty to try and minimise losses. No one wants to see the losses increase. RD ran up huge debts and we are now effectively indebted to him for them as he still wants to recover them in his asking price for the Valley & SL.

I would say having debts lessens the prospects of another buyer appearing who might be prepared to take us on, but we all know football's a funny old game and we are just an insane multi billionaire with no respect for the FFP rules or financial prudence away from the big time. I can't for the life of me understand why they're not queuing up. 

On thread, I predict at least one player transfer to happen today, either way to keep it vague.
    You are undoubtedly right. The problem is, until that insane multi billionaire comes along to buy Charlton it is almost inevitable they will just keep bob, bob, bobbing along as a lower level league club. It's either that or we land on a manager who can produce miracles with relatively slim financial resources. Over the past few years we seem to have managed to work our way through a long list of candidates who have tried to do that. We will soon see if Ben Garner is that man.
    I reckon we’ll be fortunate to bob along because we’re only a step away from falling into the hands of crooks again. Until we get the Valley and TG from Roland we’re still a hamstrung club. 
    I agree, but getting back to Mckirdy for a fee, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer to take another hungry Premier League wannabe on loan. After all, anyone who comes through the door is a gamble guaranteeing jack shit.

That said, "Can you hear me Mr Sandgaard. Your boys need help up front. If he's the one Garner wants, for goodness sake back him, buy him, and let the chips fall as they may."
  • _MrDick said:
    So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
    They’ve been over for 6 weeks and he’s coming back at the end of this week.  Perhaps he’s gone to see his own family or one of his other businesses?
  • I've heard we're looking at Izzy Brown
  • MrBurns said:
    I've heard we're looking at Izzy Brown
    Looks like he hasn’t played for over a year, and has a bad injury record. We really are shopping in the bargain basement if this is true. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    TS is currently based in England until at least the end of this year, if he's gone to the US he will be back shortly. 
    I wonder what US investors in Zynex think. Yes they have professional managers to run the business, but I'd be concerned if the founder was spending most of the time either running a football club in another country (with no real Zynex presence) or playing in a rock band.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrBurns said:
    That’s exactly what we don’t need right now. 
  • MrBurns said:
    That’s exactly what we don’t need right now. 
    I had to Google him. The bible that is Wiki says 1 goal in the last 58 game spread across playing for 5 clubs!
  • Izzy wizzy let’s get busy 
  • MrBurns said:
    The sobbing you can hear is the distant sound of our Physios hearing that news
    I'd have thought they'd be ecstatic- keeps them in a job !
  • edited August 2022
    MrBurns said:
    Hope not, he used to play a year up for the same team as me as a kid. Whenever I see him he's on crutches.
  • MrBurns said:
    Sauce? 
  • Wiki says he's a CAM? Why would we need another Midfielder when we're trying to offload 2x midfielders now as we're overloaded there. Doesn't sound legit to me
  • Wiki says he's a CAM? Why would we need another Midfielder when we're trying to offload 2x midfielders now as we're overloaded there. Doesn't sound legit to me
    Can play up front and on either wing too. Good player but always carrying something. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I was chatting to someone last week (Sunderland fan) and he reckons us and a few others are looking at Jack Diamond 🤔 plays on the left wing so not sure whether to believe it or not, unless Kirk moves on.
  • Yeah wouldn't want Izzy Brown , too many injuries and don't think you'd get many games out of him 
  • I was chatting to someone last week (Sunderland fan) and he reckons us and a few others are looking at Jack Diamond 🤔 plays on the left wing so not sure whether to believe it or not, unless Kirk moves on.
    13 league goals on loan at Harrogate last season, so got some talent. A London move might not appeal though
  • edited August 2022
    I was chatting to someone last week (Sunderland fan) and he reckons us and a few others are looking at Jack Diamond 🤔 plays on the left wing so not sure whether to believe it or not, unless Kirk moves on.
    Not the first time his name has been mentioned within these pages - TransferMarkt suggests he has played across the whole of the front line
    'Shine bright Jack diamond'

Got a song sorted at least 
  • Heard he’s a Geezer
  • Blinding, could be the jewel in the crown 😉.
  • Hoddle & Waddle think his name should be up in lights.
  • Izzy Brown, an ‘attacking’ midfielder who doesn’t score goals, a like-for-like replacement for Gilbey then!