Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I was chatting to someone last week (Sunderland fan) and he reckons us and a few others are looking at Jack Diamond 🤔 plays on the left wing so not sure whether to believe it or not, unless Kirk moves on.
    I think he’s been linked with us before. Unless he can play up front he’s the type I’d expect to be on our list if we need to replace Kirk or CBT.
  • Can see the headlines now, either "Diamond at the double" or "Diamond doesn't cut it" 😎

However I remember well the days when you know where you were with DD! (great adverts back then, shame about the beer)
  • TEL said:
    DOUCHER said:
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    I don't agree that a striker won't come to us as he won't play every week.... now there are five subs of course they will.... might spur Stockley on as well... still don't think he fits the system though.
    Plus of course if a striker is coming on loan then you'd assume it's because he's got almost zero chance of playing at his own club. So playing a bit for us is obviously better than nothing at wherever he is.
    I think there is a great opportunity for someone to come in and make the CF position their own. 
    agreed - as has been said a million times - stockley is decent at what target men do - but he isn't ideal for what we are doing and is a definite position to be upgraded if we are to get promoted - regardless of all the guff about others scoring and wide forwards arriving at the back post and all that - if you don't have a striker playing on the shoulder, you've lost half your attacking options  
    Remains to be seen if those at the club feel the same. I think they may have snookered themselves by making Stockley captain. Having said that Pearce was dropped fairly frequently 

Stockley comes across as a really nice bloke but whilst playing all he seems to do is give a thumbs up when acknowledging a good ball he failed to connect to or waving his arms about and whining. As good a target man he undoubtedly is, it doesn't suit this game plan. 
    Stockley to me seems a good captain off the pitch, but is a bit moany and self centred on the pitch for a captain
    Far bigger problems for him are his pace and inability to score from open play with his feet.

Nothing against Stockley personally (seems a great bloke) but we simply need our main striker to be able to score more than 1-2 goals a season from open play with their feet.

If the only service you give him is 30 yards from goal with his back to it then yes he isn't our man. Fact is we've created 1 chance per game for him. Our crossing is shite and from the wrong areas
  • First time I saw Morelos I thought he's a wrong un.
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
    TS is currently based in England until at least the end of this year, if he's gone to the US he will be back shortly. 
    That’s unusual for him isn’t it? Could fuel the rumours he’s looking for investors or a sale…
    What rumours? 

You mean the made up ones on Twatter?
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    So, TS headed back to the US after the Cambridge game. I thought he would’ve waited until after the end of the window had closed unless the business is done? New signings lined up? Who’s in charge? Should we be worried?
    TS is currently based in England until at least the end of this year, if he's gone to the US he will be back shortly. 
    That’s unusual for him isn’t it? Could fuel the rumours he’s looking for investors or a sale…
    What rumours? 

Along with other places.

I’m not saying they’re definitely true but I wouldn’t write it off entirely. He doesn’t give the impression he’s able to find the club for years to come. He’s aiming to break even next season for one thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    What rumours? 

Along with other places.

I’m not saying they’re definitely true but I wouldn’t write it off entirely. He doesn’t give the impression he’s able to find the club for years to come. He’s aiming to break even next season for one thing.
    In "normal people" terms, he's a very rich man, in football terms he's not so much. Certainly not a pauper (or a chancer like Southall and that mob) but his pockets are far from infinite.

I would be very surprised indeed if he WASN'T at least looking at the possibility of other investors coming in, even if only speculatively at this time.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    What rumours? 

Along with other places.

I agree - all the signs are there really. Doesn't mean it needs to invite vitriol but that's what it looks to me. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    What rumours? 

Along with other places.

Wouldn't anyone running a business want to break even?! It seems a bit insane that that should be held against him
    I certainly don't hold it against him but the truth of the matter is that barring a truly miraculous set of circumstances you don't get promoted on a break even budget. 

I'm not saying that this is a good thing and it's certainly not Sandgaard's fault specifically but he seems to have taken a very long time to realise there's no magic money tree or secret formula to getting profit and promotion in League 1. It's one OR the other, at best, or neither at worst.
  • Maybe watch it through betting site?
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    What rumours? 

Along with other places.

Wouldn't anyone running a business want to break even?! It seems a bit insane that that should be held against him
    I’m not holding it against him, it’s just where I feel we’re heading. We know from experience the next owner could be much worse, especially when he doesn’t own the assets, it could be an ideal situation for another Southall.

I’d much prefer him to turns things around and show he can fund the club long term, but I don’t think that’s as likely as I did a year or so ago.
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    The simplest point is why sign JFC.  To get a transfer fee that is non existent?  Madness.
    I don’t think that’s why, I think as a former POTY and someone JJ would have kept the club assumed any new manager would want him.

I expect the extension option be triggered after the season ended (I saw that mentioned somewhere relating to another player) and presumably had a deadline for it to be done by, which was probably before Garner could have his input.

Whatever it is there’s something about his game that Garner doesn’t rate or see fitting in the system. I can only think it’s related to a lack of mobility and/or his passing style, on paper I think most of our fans would say he could fit into this team. Some would still want him as a starter.
    I think it is a lot more complicated than that.

All things being equal Garner would be happy with JFC as one of his 6.  They aren't equal.

The best thing for everyone is now for JFC to leave the club.  The problem is where.  He can only move downwards until he proves his fitness.  
    How is it more complicated? Why aren't things equal?
    There is an "issue" with his contract.  
    Are you able to elaborate?
    He's a decent player and it seems daft that we have boxed ourselves into some sort of corner with him
    As I understand it (and it's possible/probable I am incorrect), there was a salary cut written into his contract if the additional year was triggered by the club. Basically the intention was to try to sell him on, but not have to keep paying him a large salary until he went.

Not sure if there was a salary increase based on performance numbers written into it also. 

I think it was more of the case the whole contract was a massive salary cut, which was fair enough as he was injured.

The original issue, again I could be wrong, is he couldn’t, or the club won't let him,  prove his recovery.  I suspect that's both true, from a certain POV.

Now no one who can afford him, will buy him until/unless he proves his recovery.

We are now in a situation where we might end up paying him to play for someone else, that he doesn't want to play for, just to get out of a situation that was avoidable by both sides.  At a number of points.

I still don't believe that it's JFC being here that has prevented us signing a striker.
    If he’s taken a massive salary cut then why can no one afford him? Wouldn’t that make a move a lot easier, as a new contract should at least be equal to what he’s now earning?

If he’s expecting a new club to pay him what he was earning a few years ago then is he being unrealistic?
    It's unrealistic if he hasn't recovered.  When he did the injury in the first place there was championship offers on the table.

He probably feels if he had either had a run of 10 odd games at the end of last season, or had been released at the end of his contract, allowing him to try and prove it else where, he would be able to get what he thinks he is worth, even if it was a new contract here.
    As you said, this all feels very preventable. And also odd. We could use cover in the 6 role. Especially someone who can get it and give it faster than Dobbo and on the half turn.

I guess if it's contract stuff that makes sense.

But this feels like yet another example of lack of joined up thinking by our recruitment team. Is that too harsh? 
  • SDAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    The simplest point is why sign JFC.  To get a transfer fee that is non existent?  Madness.
    I don’t think that’s why, I think as a former POTY and someone JJ would have kept the club assumed any new manager would want him.

I expect the extension option be triggered after the season ended (I saw that mentioned somewhere relating to another player) and presumably had a deadline for it to be done by, which was probably before Garner could have his input.

Whatever it is there’s something about his game that Garner doesn’t rate or see fitting in the system. I can only think it’s related to a lack of mobility and/or his passing style, on paper I think most of our fans would say he could fit into this team. Some would still want him as a starter.

All things being equal Garner would be happy with JFC as one of his 6.  They aren't equal.

The best thing for everyone is now for JFC to leave the club.  The problem is where.  He can only move downwards until he proves his fitness.  
    He's a decent player and it seems daft that we have boxed ourselves into some sort of corner with him
    As I understand it (and it's possible/probable I am incorrect), there was a salary cut written into his contract if the additional year was triggered by the club. Basically the intention was to try to sell him on, but not have to keep paying him a large salary until he went.

Not sure if there was a salary increase based on performance numbers written into it also. 

I think it was more of the case the whole contract was a massive salary cut, which was fair enough as he was injured.

The original issue, again I could be wrong, is he couldn’t, or the club won't let him,  prove his recovery.  I suspect that's both true, from a certain POV.

Now no one who can afford him, will buy him until/unless he proves his recovery.

We are now in a situation where we might end up paying him to play for someone else, that he doesn't want to play for, just to get out of a situation that was avoidable by both sides.  At a number of points.

I still don't believe that it's JFC being here that has prevented us signing a striker.
    If he’s taken a massive salary cut then why can no one afford him? Wouldn’t that make a move a lot easier, as a new contract should at least be equal to what he’s now earning?

If he’s expecting a new club to pay him what he was earning a few years ago then is he being unrealistic?
    It's unrealistic if he hasn't recovered.  When he did the injury in the first place there was championship offers on the table.

He probably feels if he had either had a run of 10 odd games at the end of last season, or had been released at the end of his contract, allowing him to try and prove it else where, he would be able to get what he thinks he is worth, even if it was a new contract here.
    As you said, this all feels very preventable. And also odd. We could use cover in the 6 role. Especially someone who can get it and give it faster than Dobbo and on the half turn.

But this feels like yet another example of lack of joined up thinking by our recruitment team. Is that too harsh? 
    I’d say overall we’ve recruited well this summer for our budget - assuming we finish the window well with at least a good CB and striker. The incoming players fit the system and we could play the same style in other formations.

The thinking is much more joined up than last summer when we were too slow to sign players and it seemed the only thought was whether they could fit a 4-3-3 formation with no thought on style of play. We then made some desperate signings at the end of the window in Arter and Souare in attempt to fix the mistakes.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:

I’d say overall we’ve recruited well this summer for our budget - assuming we finish the window well with at least a good CB and striker. The incoming players fit the system and we could play the same style in other formations.

The thinking is much more joined up than last summer when we were too slow to sign players and it seemed the only thought was whether they could fit a 4-3-3 formation with no thought on style of play. We then made some desperate signings at the end of the window in Arter and Souare in attempt to fix the mistakes.
    The assumption is the key though.  I totally agree with everything else.  I think nearly everyone does.

The lack of joined up thinking is if we have to move a player on, that we basically signed 10 weeks ago, to complete the picture.

Now I don't believe its 100% but it has become the current narrative.
  • 995632 said:
    Money from Pope this summer, money from Burstow in January, and yet we are too tight to spend a single fee on someone this transfer window. Talks a complete load of shite Sandgaard, but at least we have a nice wanky American song on spotify 
    Genuine question, what difference does it make to spend a fee vs sign an out of contract player?

These "haven't spent a penny" lot don't seem to equate an out of contact player needing a signing bonus, probable agents fee etc. Not to mention paying up Garner's contract, that wasn't free. 

It is alleged that the Pope money is being paid in instalments and we get a percentage over the £1.5mill fee Burnley supposedly agreed with us. So the £2mill Newcastle allegedly paid so far for Pope is no where near the 20% of the £20+ million people thought the Pope fee would be at the start of summer.

The 1mill for Burstow has probably already gone keeping everything running (not even considering the increase in costs of literally keeping the lights on - approx 250% increase like other businesses). 

Unless someone else's pockets are sufficiently deep enough to bankroll an odds on title winning side, pay all debts, agree to Roland's rediculous demands to purchase the ground and Sparrows Lane and be happy to write off £8mill+ a year (and then agree to chucking in 5-10x that amount after getting back into the Championship to even just stand still and not get relegated.)then we need to get behind the team and Garner. 

Live, love, laugh and be happy! 

If this is connected to me I clearly said in my message above "we have not paid a transfer fee". I am well aware now that it has been pointed out to me the lack of a fee does not mean we have not paid agents, signing on fees and of course ongoing wages.

However it does not take away the fact that up to now we have only enlisted free agents and out of contract players so if this continues it will, and does limit our market.  
  • shirty5 said:

Not sure we’d want to bring him back, I think he might be past his 

Hope he paid his hotel bill … he told me at a presentation he kindly done for us that he was kicked out because the hotel had enough not getting paid for Charlton players staying there 
  • edited August 2022
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    Aren't there serious tax implications if he stays too long?
  • JamesSeed said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    Aren't there serious tax implication if he stays too long?
    You only pay tax on profits  ;)
  • JamesSeed said:
    What happens before the famous slamming shut will potentially be massive for the club. 
    No signings, and I think we struggle to make the play offs.
    The right signings and we’ll be in with a decent shout. 
    Peterborough, Ipswich, Wednesday and Portsmouth look to have very strong squads, and will probably finish above us. Then there’s Bolton and Derby. 
    Sandgaard would be crazy not to invest right now.
    Maybe but can you see the potential flaw there?
    No.
    Literally nothing can go wrong.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    _MrDick said:
    What rumours? 

Along with other places.

I very much doubt if any of his businesses have 'broken even' in their early trading years. Generally, there are businesses which try to break even from the start, generally because they have no capital behind them. Then there are businesses which see investment opportunities, and they invest for the future even if it means incurring losses in the early years.. 

TS by trying to 'break even' at this stage has given the most obvious sign that he does not see Charlton as a long term investment. Cutting your losses, as others have observed, is more often a sign of getting ready to get out. Cutting backroom staff is not necessarily a sign of this, but cutting the budget for players most certainly is, they are after all what produces value for a football club. It is the equivalent of failing to invest in the latest machinery, while your competitors who do become more productive as a result. And then they beat you.
  • Controversial opinion time but I don’t even think the striker we need has to be that good. We just need *someone* who can help us avoid a situation like last season where we went to Wigan with Burstow and Elliot Lee up front, for example.

Obviously the player coming in would need chip in with a few goals when they play over the course of the season but Plan A is obviously to move forward with club captain Stockley as often as possible.

As long as we have a senior body that is available to play when called upon and does a half decent job at dropping into midfield and linking the play, we can still score goals from the likes of CBT, JRS, Kirk, Fraser and Payne.

And then when Stockley is back after a short absence, they’ll drop back to the bench.

For me, it’s more important to get a player that fits the style and can replace Jayden’s link up without disruption more so than finding a poacher who can score a goal but not contribute anything else.

It’s become clear over the last few weeks that that poaching kind of forward won’t fit the Garner style.
    Couldn't agree more. 

Absolutely understand its highly unlikely that we will sign a game changer but we need someone.