Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    I've read all the comments re JFC- that it's not that simple, we won't let him prove himself, we may have to pay somebody to play him.

Which completely answers my point.

Why sign him again in the first place because we don't want him and we don't appear to be able to sell him!!!
    Shouldn't have given him a new contract when he was injured in the first place imo. Might have been harsh but we wouldn't be in this position (trying to recoup money we've spent on rehabilitation) in that case. Wouldn't have had a problem letting him use our facilities to get fit but essentially we've spent over 12 months treading water & now cant get him off our books.

If you did that no one would play for the last month, or more, before their contracts run out and you would be the first to moan about it.
    Hundreds of players play whilst they are in the last months of their contracts. 

As I said, unpopular thinking, but why give a new contract to a player who is injured. 
    Because everyone does it, else no one would play...

In the lower leagues you would end up with 14 year olds making up the numbers from March and you would be moaning.

This is exactly why Lyle Taylor didn't play for us.  Would trust Paul Elliottttt to do the right thing by you?

Your argument is Taylor was right, and you have spent 2 years slagging him off.  Cake and eat it?
  • Scoham said:
    Never expected Bogle and Makienok to be mentioned on here as possible signings.
    Did you not? If they didn't score against us or play for us once then this forum doesn't even know what a footballer is
  • Scoham said:
    Did you not? If they didn't score against us or play for us once then this forum doesn't even know what a footballer is
    Fair point, though it's a little different this year. We usually only have 3 or 4 names that are must sign players who have never played for us, but this summer we had Stockton, May, McKirdy, Simpson and the entire Swindon squad.
  • Announce meltdown.

Birmingham is a stone's throw from Walsall. Probably just catching up with Tracey & some of the lads 
    Leko has been in Brum’s match day squads and came on as a sub Saturday.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Fair point, though it's a little different this year. We usually only have 3 or 4 names that are must sign players who have never played for us, but this summer we had Stockton, May, McKirdy, Simpson and the entire Swindon squad.
    Exactly. Two players who have scored against us and two players who played for Swindon under Garner, which at this point is basically the same thing as playing for us. People make fun of the black box but if we were in charge of it it would just shriek the names of people who looked a little bit better than Gunter at The Valley, which is everyone who played against us. Genuinely expecting someone to ask if we think Lawrie Wilson could be converted to a left sided centre back before the window closes.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    I've read all the comments re JFC- that it's not that simple, we won't let him prove himself, we may have to pay somebody to play him.

Which completely answers my point.

Why sign him again in the first place because we don't want him and we don't appear to be able to sell him!!!
    Shouldn't have given him a new contract when he was injured in the first place imo. Might have been harsh but we wouldn't be in this position (trying to recoup money we've spent on rehabilitation) in that case. Wouldn't have had a problem letting him use our facilities to get fit but essentially we've spent over 12 months treading water & now cant get him off our books.

If you did that no one would play for the last month, or more, before their contracts run out and you would be the first to moan about it.
    Hundreds of players play whilst they are in the last months of their contracts. 

As I said, unpopular thinking, but why give a new contract to a player who is injured. 
    I agreed with the contract extension last season as he got injured playing for us but why take up the option this summer? Just doesn’t make sense.
  • any possibility that league cup prize money and a home draw v a top 6 prem side (particularly if it gets televised) could potentially change the budget enough to make a difference or just wishful thinking?
  • any possibility that league cup prize money and a home draw v a top 6 prem side (particularly if it gets televised) could potentially change the budget enough to make a difference or just wishful thinking?
    Isn't the prize money for winning the league cup 100k?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    any possibility that league cup prize money and a home draw v a top 6 prem side (particularly if it gets televised) could potentially change the budget enough to make a difference or just wishful thinking?
    i think so far we are on prize money wise for about 20k but i was more leaning towards the home draw v top 6 and tv money which we would potentially know before the transfer window shuts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    any possibility that league cup prize money and a home draw v a top 6 prem side (particularly if it gets televised) could potentially change the budget enough to make a difference or just wishful thinking?
    That and all the Carabao you could ever want to drink
    Rather than that have to drink Carling, need to get back to free TVs from Rumberlows IMO
  • Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    Humphrys was enquired about but is on a very good deal at Wigan.  He’s out of reach financially 
    May get to the point they loan him out and take whatever they can get?
    Would love that but don’t think they’re as restricted as we are. I also think he’ll have plenty of suitors. 
  • mart77 said:
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    Humphrys was enquired about but is on a very good deal at Wigan.  He’s out of reach financially 
    May get to the point they loan him out and take whatever they can get?
    Would love that but don’t think they’re as restricted as we are. I also think he’ll have plenty of suitors. 
    Probably, though his goalscoring record isn't actually that impressive - he's made for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Humphrys#Career_statistics
  • He played with O'Connell @ Rochdale, so hopefully can put in a word with his mate
  • Look, a leprechaun riding a pink unicorn off to Narnia! 
    I think cup gates are split 50/50 so an away game would be better for that. Away game to one of the big teams and on TV might make a small difference but the games in November so more likely to impact January I’d guess 
  • Sponsored links:

• Look, a leprechaun riding a pink unicorn off to Narnia! 
    Look Jayden Stockley scoring a goal.
  • NabySarr said:
    I think cup gates are split 50/50 so an away game would be better for that. Away game to one of the big teams and on TV might make a small difference but the games in November so more likely to impact January I’d guess 
    The game is November yes but the draw is tomorrow - my thought was potentially a plum top 6 draw is going to be  an unexpected financial boost either way. I guess it might be longer til we find out any potential TV ties though.
  • Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.
  • Yeh. Ben smacked him round the head and sent him home.
  • Swisdom said:
    Well that’s pissed on my strawberries 
  • Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    He's been linked with West Brom, who I suspect will be a slightly more attractive option!