Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    He's been linked with West Brom, who I suspect will be a slightly more attractive option!
    First time that's ever been said in the history of anything

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

A Mark Bright type signing. As an older player who could still turn it on when necessary but wouldn't expect to play every game.

Garner will know him from Palace although I see West Brom are strongly linked with him.
  • edited August 2022
    Leuth said:
    You may mock me, but Omar Bogle fits that description perfectly 

A *blatant attempt for LOL's and Leuth cleans up 🤦🏻‍♂️

* Edited: Blatant not balanced !
  • Grabban would be a great signing but will find a Championship club. 
  • edited August 2022
    Admin, any chance you can change the title of this thread to, The Any Ol’ Bollox thread?
  • Admin, any chance you can change the title of this thread to, The Any Ol’ Bollox thread?
    Unfotunately that is the planned rename of Charlton Life.
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Last played for Forest in the Championship, local lad at the end of his career who would maybe want to move back towards family.  Reminds me of someone... No thanks.
  • Controversial opinion time but I don’t even think the striker we need has to be that good. We just need *someone* who can help us avoid a situation like last season where we went to Wigan with Burstow and Elliot Lee up front, for example.

Obviously the player coming in would need chip in with a few goals when they play over the course of the season but Plan A is obviously to move forward with club captain Stockley as often as possible.

As long as we have a senior body that is available to play when called upon and does a half decent job at dropping into midfield and linking the play, we can still score goals from the likes of CBT, JRS, Kirk, Fraser and Payne.

And then when Stockley is back after a short absence, they’ll drop back to the bench.

For me, it’s more important to get a player that fits the style and can replace Jayden’s link up without disruption more so than finding a poacher who can score a goal but not contribute anything else.

It’s become clear over the last few weeks that that poaching kind of forward won’t fit the Garner style.
    I don't think that this is controversial. As you said, stockley is clearly first choice with aneke being the impact sub (obviously fitness permitting). The emergence of leaburn means we could be looking for a 4th choice, a Parker type signing rather than someone being brought in to challenge stockley.
    This is the short sighted view that people at the club seem to hold. Signing somebody to challenge Stockley is exactly what we should have been doing. If we were serious about going for promotion then we should have been aiming high & bringing in a decent (at this level) striker. I don't get this view of why would a decent striker come to the club to play second fiddle to stockley. Why did Payne sign for us when he knew that we were overloaded with midfielders ? Probably because he has confidence in his ability & believes he can force himself into the team. It would be the same with a decent striker unless we really are going with the view that Stockley can't ever be dropped because he's the captain.

• Sponsored links:

• TEL said:
    Controversial opinion time but I don’t even think the striker we need has to be that good. We just need *someone* who can help us avoid a situation like last season where we went to Wigan with Burstow and Elliot Lee up front, for example.

Obviously the player coming in would need chip in with a few goals when they play over the course of the season but Plan A is obviously to move forward with club captain Stockley as often as possible.

As long as we have a senior body that is available to play when called upon and does a half decent job at dropping into midfield and linking the play, we can still score goals from the likes of CBT, JRS, Kirk, Fraser and Payne.

And then when Stockley is back after a short absence, they’ll drop back to the bench.

For me, it’s more important to get a player that fits the style and can replace Jayden’s link up without disruption more so than finding a poacher who can score a goal but not contribute anything else.

It’s become clear over the last few weeks that that poaching kind of forward won’t fit the Garner style.
    I don't think that this is controversial. As you said, stockley is clearly first choice with aneke being the impact sub (obviously fitness permitting). The emergence of leaburn means we could be looking for a 4th choice, a Parker type signing rather than someone being brought in to challenge stockley.
    This is the short sighted view that people at the club seem to hold. Signing somebody to challenge Stockley is exactly what we should have been doing. If we were serious about going for promotion then we should have been aiming high & bringing in a decent (at this level) striker. I don't get this view of why would a decent striker come to the club to play second fiddle to stockley. Why did Payne sign for us when he knew that we were overloaded with midfielders ? Probably because he has confidence in his ability & believes he can force himself into the team. It would be the same with a decent striker unless we really are going with the view that Stockley can't ever be dropped because he's the captain.

I've said it before. With a choice of 16 players now per game of course any new striker would still play every week.... look at young Leaburn.... so it's total bollocks that a striker wouldn't join to be second fiddle.... there's a great opportunity to oust Stockley as he doesn't fit the way we are playing. 

If the hierarchy think we don't need a back up striker then really it just proves their naivety at running a club with aims to get promoted. 
    I know it's total bollocks & you know it's total bollocks but there's been plenty of posts with alternative views.

Hope not.. he downed tools at Sunderland soon as the club struggled and refused to play.
  • We have not long got rid of the last past it donkey from Forest. I don’t want another, particularly if he is a known disruptive personality. I feel he would bring very little.
  • edited August 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Hope not.. he downed tools at Sunderland soon as the club struggled and refused to play.
    Was quite funny to watch on Netflix though. Think he got subbed off in one game and said nah I’m not having that. Then scored against them for Villa later in the season 
  • I don’t think any of us really know exactly what’s going on behind the scenes. I still think we’ll get JFC & Gilbey off the books in time to free up the funding for a striker (and I think a CB is in the pipeline already). 
    But if we don’t, and we miss the playoffs for want of a goal or two here and there, then it really will be meltdown time. 
  • edited August 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Southbank said:
    Good news for Lincoln, straight in the team.
    That's because he is a good player.

Letting Gilbey go is a mistake.

I'll take the hit if I prove to be wrong.

He hasn't done it for us, but we are letting a good player go.  Better than Morgan, better than Kirk, better than McGrandles, better than Jaiyesimi.

Mistake.

I recognise you as the one who constantly attacks DJ whenever the opportunity arises. Also being the guy who reckons it's a mistake to get rid of a player who has been diappointing for two years because he's better than a player you haven't seen 90 minutes of? Bold choice man, save some shit takes for the rest of us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    as much as as much as I have wanted it to work with a Gilbey it just hasn’t clicked. Too often he doesn’t affect the game in any way and it is probably time to part ways now.  He needs to kickstart his career elsewhere.
    Fully agree. In flashes, he has had some really good games but his inconsistency lets him down hugely and becomes a spare part in most games. 

Seems like a decent chap so only wish him the best if/when he does go.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Southbank said:

He hasn't done it for us, but we are letting a good player go.  Better than Morgan, better than Kirk, better than McGrandles, better than Jaiyesimi.

Mistake.

Bit in bold is all that matters 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Southbank said:

Mistake.

So you admit he's been crap for us, but you still want to keep him? 

How anyone can pass judgement of McGrandles is beyond me. He's played like 60mins of football...
  • The Gilbey debates still ongoing  :open_mouth:
  • mendonca said:
    The Gilbey debates still ongoing  :open_mouth:
    In the absence of any real rumours........
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Southbank said:

Mistake.

still spouting utter nonsense