Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Clare has been great so far this season, but we have Egbo to come in and he came with a big reputation. Sessengon can also cover there, also sounds like Chin is not far off being ready. If we are offered decent money for Clare I would probably take it on the basis that the money will be reinvested to strengthen other areas.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

I'm sure our opponents will be thanking you for those observations.
    I'm the new Karl Robinson, donchya know? :winky:

Although I can't really imagine managers of our opponents are analysing our gameplan, by ploughing their way through the Charlton Life summer transfer rumours thread.

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

I'm sure our opponents will be thanking you for those observations.
    I'm the new Karl Robinson, donchya know? :winky:

Although I can't really imagine managers of our opponents are analysing our gameplan, by ploughing their way through the Charlton Life summer transfer rumours thread.

imagine that, get you dream job as a football analyst then get told to scroll through that weeks oppositions forums.

you'd go mental I reckon  
  • I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 
    100% agree re Clare and Dobson, they are the heartbeat of the team along with O'Connell at the moment.
    I think McGrandles gives up options and i think they were expecting to be able to move on Gilbey and JFC quite easily. You also have to be in for these guys when they are available. 
    Regarding Chucks wasnt that when Stockley had his back issue and we were down to just Davison and Washington ?  
  • I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 

Players tend to be signed in order of availability, rather than a predetermined sequence positionally.
    Maybe because squad building is a jigsaw puzzle and all pieces are not in place yet? :smile:

• The last few posts illustrate perfectly the dilemma facing the club. It’s not at all easy getting business done on a tight budget and with financial restrictions. Our rebuild is in my opinion a two or even three window process.
    But with the owner wanting to cut losses that’s only going to become more difficult. Not sure it qualifies as a rebuild if the squad becomes smaller and/or weaker every season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    The last few posts illustrate perfectly the dilemma facing the club. It’s not at all easy getting business done on a tight budget and with financial restrictions. Our rebuild is in my opinion a two or even three window process.
    The problem is if its a 3 or more window process you start losing players out the other end again.  If we are in the same position this time next year your looking at players like Dobson, CBT, Payne and god knows who else entering their last year. 

Bowyer and Gallen basically put a team together in two windows but if we had lost at Wembley a 3rd or 4th wouldn't have made it right.

The easiest time is always this time.  

Agreed, and the timescales available to build sides are getting shorter. You can see that every year in which a team overachieves in the EFL, just misses out on promotion, and in the summer faces a rebuild as players and even managers get poached. And that can happen even if the team gets promoted, e.g. with FGR in the summer.
    We play with a midfield three, so we need 6 central midfielders to have proper squad cover. Garner has already shown he's big on rotating in the midfield. When we signed McGrandles he became the 6th centre mid in a squad where we were expecting two other midfielders to probably leave. We then signed Payne to make 7, though he's generally been played further forward rather than in the midfield three when he's played. If we hadn't signed McGrandles when we had the chance and he'd gone elsewhere and we'd still be looking to shift the other two but with no-one in. We'll probably shift Gilbey soon and possibly JFC on deadline day, and then we'd be running round feverishly trying to get centre mids in before the window closed while people whined that we always leave our business to the last minute and Sandgaard doesn't know how to build a squad. We'd also likely get a worse player because we shrugged our shoulders and ignored a target becoming available. Matt Smith v.3 anyone?
    The reason Clare has come up is because we're apparently talking to him about an extension and there's no indication we're going to lose Dobson either, there's not really a lot of need to panic about that just yet..
    We play with a midfield three, so we need 6 central midfielders to have proper squad cover. Garner has already shown he's big on rotating in the midfield. When we signed McGrandles he became the 6th centre mid in a squad where we were expecting two other midfielders to probably leave. We then signed Payne to make 7, though he's generally been played further forward rather than in the midfield three when he's played. If we hadn't signed McGrandles when we had the chance and he'd gone elsewhere and we'd still be looking to shift the other two but with no-one in. We'll probably shift Gilbey soon and possibly JFC on deadline day, and then we'd be running round feverishly trying to get centre mids in before the window closed while people whined that we always leave our business to the last minute and Sandgaard doesn't know how to build a squad. We'd also likely get a worse player because we shrugged our shoulders and ignored a target becoming available. Matt Smith v.3 anyone?
    The reason Clare has come up is because we're apparently talking to him about an extension and there's no indication we're going to lose Dobson either, there's not really a lot of need to panic about that just yet..
    There's no reason that we have to have 6 senior midfielders though, especially as we have youngsters like Henry coming through, and others like Clare and Sessegnon who can also play there IF we had more cover in the full back areas.
    Players like Dobson and Morgan are the types who are likely to play the full 90 anyway, it's in forward positions where you need impact from the bench.
  • So if DJ goes, does that give any credibility to Leko being with Tracey Leaburn? Probably just a pic because they were in the midlands.
  • Every transfer window we have our fans come out with the same stuff but

a) you don't do well when you sell your best players.  We have surely learnt that over the last 12 months.  Selling Clare/Dobson etc would be utter madness.
    b) you don't get 2/3/4 windows to out a team together.  We try that and all our current best players will have gone plus TS will be another £16M or so poorer.

a) you don't do well when you sell your best players.  We have surely learnt that over the last 12 months.  Selling Clare/Dobson etc would be utter madness.
    b) you don't get 2/3/4 windows to out a team together.  We try that and all our current best players will have gone plus TS will be another £16M or so poorer.
    a) whilst I agree it would be madness to sell Clare or Dobson at the moment it's worth noting that this time last year most fans would have been happy flogging both to anyone that would take them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 

Players tend to be signed in order of availability, rather than a predetermined sequence positionally.
    Maybe because squad building is a jigsaw puzzle and all pieces are not in place yet? :smile:

That being the case I can only imagine the the jigsaw piece that is a striker has been put in the wrong box/under the sofa/been hoovered up never to be seen again. Our lovely 500 piece jigsaw puzzle, when finished, will have a great gaping piece missing right in the f**king centre for all to see. 
    Tut, tut, you promised us!

see below:

But this will be my last comment on the subject. Its been done to death. We all know we need another striker - be it to compete with Stockley or to replace him if he is out injured. It would be folly not to. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 

That being the case I can only imagine the the jigsaw piece that is a striker has been put in the wrong box/under the sofa/been hoovered up never to be seen again. Our lovely 500 piece jigsaw puzzle, when finished, will have a great gaping piece missing right in the f**king centre for all to see. 
    I think you mean right at the f**king top!  Dobson, Morgan & Fraser are in the f**king centre 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Gilbey move to Lincoln is apparently close to collapsing, due to a chain. So sounds like a move our end isn’t happening or there is a delay, 

B is true is it not?

Slow and steady is a perfectly good strategy IMO.  If time is free.

Time is not free and we aren't going to be able to sell a player for the 5-8 million (depending on how realistic you think Thomas's projections are) next summer to cover the difference.

The people that say it's easy to spend someone else's money are actually spending someone else's money even faster.

If we can't, as is alleged, sign a striker because of JFCs wages, which are (much) less than 250k.  Hell take the punt now and worst case "jog him on" in January and its only half that amount.  We will be weaker next season.

Good luck breaking even in the 4th, 5th or heaven forbid 6th year of league 1 football.  
  • RedRobin said:

Gilbey move to Lincoln is apparently close to collapsing, due to a chain. So sounds like a move our end isn’t happening or there is a delay, 
    Back to the house moving references:)
  • RedRobin said:

Gilbey move to Lincoln is apparently close to collapsing, due to a chain. So sounds like a move our end isn’t happening or there is a delay, 
    I imagine the issues are at their end rather than ours. Maybe Lincoln have more urgent gaps in their squad to fill, due to injuries or a player leaving in another position
  • RedRobin said:

Another example of why we shouldn't place too much reliance on this or other journalists we don't know.

Our transfer business this summer have been played close to Steve Gallen's chest.

It maybe that Gilbey has, as Garner said, a knock or another deal at the Lincoln end has actually fallen through. 

Or the guy is bullshitting.

WIOTOS