Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• The guy is not reliable. He got lucky on one of our more obvious deals (Payne) earlier in the summer and is living off of it.
    Certainly find what he says questionable after Garner's comments about him being available last night, but for a niggle.

We can all sit here and call bullshit, but if it isnt true

Why say anything at all... Unless he's actually been asked about the Gilbey situation.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Lewis Grabben is an interesting one. 

Croydon born, now 34 but was a regular for Forest last season.

Doesn't fit the young player with  sell on potential model but if you want some experience he could be the man.

No idea if he can play Garnerball but he can score goals.
    Almost all the signings we have made haven't fitted that, not sure why people think it's a criteria tbh.

Lewis Grabban can probably play about 60 minutes max these days as he admitted last season when he said he has no problem coming off the bench. 

Jayden Stockley is fitting into the Central striker's role well it's just he's not scoring but his headers have led to goals as the keepers have parried them to CBT and Sakyi I still believe Jayden is better with a player close by and Ben Garner may have to compromise as we have some big players and not to utilise Stockley, Leaburn and Inniss with quality high balls into the box would seem strange. 
    Inniss from set pieces; not playing as a striker !

Watching all our League game highlights, you'll see that Fraser seems to be the main man designated to centrally support Stockley.

We see our far side winger is required to get in the box at the far post from wide; and Morgan around the 'D'.
    Fraser is the midfielder who moves off the ball to support Stockley in the box centrally.

Whether Stockley is scoring goals or not, he occupies and challenges the oppo CBs and keeper, while our support players ghost in more or less unmarked.
    Anyway, that seems to be the plan. We've already scored several goals this way. 

That is definitely the plan for playing 4-3-3 with the attacking midfielder supporting as well as the forward from the other flank getting into the box to get nearer to Stockley so he isn't isolated. Goals from Corey Blackett-Taylor and Rak Sakyi from efforts on goal from Jayden  have shown how Garner is trying to get this through to the players. The Plymouth game is the only match it has worked for 90+ minutes and that was against 10 men so more space available.

Lots of pressure on Stockley, as he is leading the line well and is fitting in to the system but he has to score goals as well and not quite going in at the moment.
    The amount of games, minutes we get out of Aneke will make or break our season even if they are 30 minute cameos including added time as I can't see a striker on the wage available coming into the club in this window.
    Maybe in Jan, Thomas may be able to take a gamble with a six month loan if we are top 8 to push us on with a goal scoring forward that will blend in with the Managers idea of play ?

We live in hope.
    You're right in that Stockley has to score goals.

But ....... the goals have been coming all around from others - with Stockley's involvement  frequently being a key factor.
    Not just with the goals actually scored, but also with chances not taken.

It may have only been 1-0 at the time Plymouth were reduced to 10 men (41st minute) but Stockley had already been vitally involved in the chances created up to then. It was his header that the keeper saved point blank for JRS to score the first that night; his aerial challenge that made the chance for Kirk that hit the outside post and of course his winning the ball and a great cross for Kirk's shot handled on the line for the penalty. Stockley himself scored the penalty efficiently.

Other games too: the open goal CBT winner against Derby, created because of Stockley's challenge on the cross.
    Stockley himself should have scored against Cambridge - but nevertheless the save from his shot set up the clear chance for Fraser to score.

Some people are saying Stockley isn't doing enough because he's not yet scoring from open play - but while he lacks a bit of pace, he is making every effort to adapt his game to Garnerball, linking up play well, getting in the right places inside the box and well involved with chance creation, from which we are scoring goals.

Can we get a quicker forward than Stockley, more suited to Garnerball? Almost certainly if we are prepared to spend a big wedge.
    Meanwhile, Stockley despite some limitations, is nevertheless well involved in chance creation and goals scored.

I'm not sure Stockley's involvement is a key factor.

Plymouth, he should have scored for the JRS one, the cross for Kirk was poor, should have been early to Fraser, but took too long to sort himself out.

The winner against Derby is from a Morgan shot rebounded, he doesn't challenge for the ball and just runs at the near post, which is the run he makes 90% of the time and feels like an instruction, which could be carried out by anyone.

Lucky versus Cambridge that Fraser was there to spare his blushes.

Yes he is working hard, but he is also a key component in our moves breaking down. Alot of the passes he makes are very simple, safe and easy, anything beyond that goes astray. JS doesn't play that ball last night into DJs path, not in a month of Sundays.
  • This is all smoke and mirrors and a lot of ITK accounts are based on guesswork.

Cawley ‘broke’ that Gilbey was being chased by three clubs I suspect our friend published based on that.
  • I do not blame Lyle Taylor for leaving Charlton. He was under the Southhall regime. (A miracle we survived that episode). We need a goal scorer , goals with help us get promotion. Stockley is a good lad, but definitely needs a partner. I would have him back. League One is level.
    Is this Lyle's agent? 
  • I do not blame Lyle Taylor for leaving Charlton. He was under the Southhall regime. (A miracle we survived that episode). We need a goal scorer , goals with help us get promotion. Stockley is a good lad, but definitely needs a partner. I would have him back. League One is level.
    Southall was booted out before Taylor went on strike.....just saying 
  • TelMc32 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 

Players tend to be signed in order of availability, rather than a predetermined sequence positionally.
    Maybe because squad building is a jigsaw puzzle and all pieces are not in place yet? :smile:

That being the case I can only imagine the the jigsaw piece that is a striker has been put in the wrong box/under the sofa/been hoovered up never to be seen again. Our lovely 500 piece jigsaw puzzle, when finished, will have a great gaping piece missing right in the f**king centre for all to see. 
    I think you mean right at the f**king top!  Dobson, Morgan & Fraser are in the f**king centre 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I see what you mean there but I was looking at the bigger picture (pun not intended) that when looking at a puzzle that's has a piece missing its more noticable when the hole is in the middle of the puzzle, rather than the side or top. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    I still live in hope that we are playing roulette with deadline day.
    Things are certainly going down to the wire and I’m as certain in my own mind that we have a few moves and angles in mind…..but whether any of them come to fruition is of course another thing altogether.
    One thing leaving it so late is that deals can backfire and you end up with no one, or second or third choices at best!
    Personally, I wouldn’t mind us pitching in for Lewis Grabban.
  • Six business days left before the deadline passes.
    Yep and you would trust Paul Elliottttttt to see you right.
  • Wonder if Lincoln have decided to try and buy him instead. It mentions they’ve only got two loan slots left.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I do not blame Lyle Taylor for leaving Charlton. He was under the Southhall regime. (A miracle we survived that episode). We need a goal scorer , goals with help us get promotion. Stockley is a good lad, but definitely needs a partner. I would have him back. League One is level.
    Yep and you would trust Paul Elliottttttt to see you right.
    Not saying that, simply straightening out discrepancies in the original post
  • Adrian Durham talksport said last night that we are interested in scully from lincoln... how true I don't know
  • All I can say is if we leave it until deadline day & then a deal for a striker falls apart & we end up not signing one then this season is going to be a waste.

We have had since June to sign a striker and knew we were light up front ever since we let Washington leave.We've signed so many midfielders/wingers we are now having to unload 1 or 2 fringe players just to give us the option of signing someone. With the news that Aneke could be weeks away from even making the bench (thus missing the first 10 or 12 games) means we are going into games with just 2 strikers (one of which is young & inexperienced and imo about as good as Davison). No other League 1 club who is seriously looking at promotion would leave themselves in this position. 

Madness.
    Would you take Taylor as your striker Golfie?
  • I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 
    We play with a midfield three, so we need 6 central midfielders to have proper squad cover. Garner has already shown he's big on rotating in the midfield. When we signed McGrandles he became the 6th centre mid in a squad where we were expecting two other midfielders to probably leave. We then signed Payne to make 7, though he's generally been played further forward rather than in the midfield three when he's played. If we hadn't signed McGrandles when we had the chance and he'd gone elsewhere and we'd still be looking to shift the other two but with no-one in. We'll probably shift Gilbey soon and possibly JFC on deadline day, and then we'd be running round feverishly trying to get centre mids in before the window closed while people whined that we always leave our business to the last minute and Sandgaard doesn't know how to build a squad. We'd also likely get a worse player because we shrugged our shoulders and ignored a target becoming available. Matt Smith v.3 anyone?
    The reason Clare has come up is because we're apparently talking to him about an extension and there's no indication we're going to lose Dobson either, there's not really a lot of need to panic about that just yet..
    There's no reason that we have to have 6 senior midfielders though, especially as we have youngsters like Henry coming through, and others like Clare and Sessegnon who can also play there IF we had more cover in the full back areas.
    Players like Dobson and Morgan are the types who are likely to play the full 90 anyway, it's in forward positions where you need impact from the bench.
    Moving goalposts. By the same token there's no reason we need to have 3 senior strikers. We have Stockley, Aneke and Leaburn who at this point is streets ahead of Henry and the rest. Aneke is injury-prone, but then so is JFC, and for longer, sometimes season-long periods. Who was the striker we wanted who was readily available at the same time as McGrandles who we could have signed that we missed out on I wonder? Clare is our right back and a disasterpiece at central midfield, and not only is Sessegnon not actually a centre mid at all, as you say we don't have senior cover at LB. Saying we don't need to have enough midfielders because we could use that money to just about have enough left backs to play one totally out of position is bonkers. May as well say JFC is our senior back up LB by that logic, he's played more senior games there than Sessegnon has at central midfield. Henry is the youngster at central midfield coming through but there aren't any others remotely ready, certainly not looking any more ready than Kanu, and Henry still has a huge amount to show before he's a serious consideration. Central midfield will be the key part of the way Garner plays and he needs options there, and the right player was available. We will rotate massively, we've already seen McGrandles pick up two injuries since he started, we'll need to use a whole squad throughout the season and we'll really feel it if we're light there. I guarantee we'd get by better having to play Clayden at LB all season than we would having to play Henry there all season if it came to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Billyboy said:
    Adrian Durham talksport said last night that we are interested in scully from lincoln... how true I don't know
    If they're interested in DJ and Gilbey, I'd be up for a swap deal.
  • I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 
    We play with a midfield three, so we need 6 central midfielders to have proper squad cover. Garner has already shown he's big on rotating in the midfield. When we signed McGrandles he became the 6th centre mid in a squad where we were expecting two other midfielders to probably leave. We then signed Payne to make 7, though he's generally been played further forward rather than in the midfield three when he's played. If we hadn't signed McGrandles when we had the chance and he'd gone elsewhere and we'd still be looking to shift the other two but with no-one in. We'll probably shift Gilbey soon and possibly JFC on deadline day, and then we'd be running round feverishly trying to get centre mids in before the window closed while people whined that we always leave our business to the last minute and Sandgaard doesn't know how to build a squad. We'd also likely get a worse player because we shrugged our shoulders and ignored a target becoming available. Matt Smith v.3 anyone?
    The reason Clare has come up is because we're apparently talking to him about an extension and there's no indication we're going to lose Dobson either, there's not really a lot of need to panic about that just yet..
    There's no reason that we have to have 6 senior midfielders though, especially as we have youngsters like Henry coming through, and others like Clare and Sessegnon who can also play there IF we had more cover in the full back areas.
    Players like Dobson and Morgan are the types who are likely to play the full 90 anyway, it's in forward positions where you need impact from the bench.
    Moving goalposts. By the same token there's no reason we need to have 3 senior strikers. We have Stockley, Aneke and Leaburn who at this point is streets ahead of Henry and the rest. Aneke is injury-prone, but then so is JFC, and for longer, sometimes season-long periods. Who was the striker we wanted who was readily available at the same time as McGrandles who we could have signed that we missed out on I wonder? Clare is our right back and a disasterpiece at central midfield, and not only is Sessegnon not actually a centre mid at all, as you say we don't have senior cover at LB. Saying we don't need to have enough midfielders because we could use that money to just about have enough left backs to play one totally out of position is bonkers. May as well say JFC is our senior back up LB by that logic, he's played more senior games there than Sessegnon has at central midfield. Henry is the youngster at central midfield coming through but there aren't any others remotely ready, certainly not looking any more ready than Kanu, and Henry still has a huge amount to show before he's a serious consideration. Central midfield will be the key part of the way Garner plays and he needs options there, and the right player was available. We will rotate massively, we've already seen McGrandles pick up two injuries since he started, we'll need to use a whole squad throughout the season and we'll really feel it if we're light there. I guarantee we'd get by better having to play Clayden at LB all season than we would having to play Henry there all season if it came to it.
    I can't honestly say I disagree with a word you said there.  But 

We needed a center forward in May.  We released Washington, then sold Davison.  

If the reason we haven't signed a center foward is purely wage budget, someone has dropped a clanger somewhere.  If.

It's a big if because it's all 2+2=5.

Personally I think it's Gilbey out for a center half and then it's either a "money" player out for a striker or a last minute loan.

I don't believe getting JFC or MacGillivray off the wage bill would be enough to bring a decent striker in.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 
    I can't honestly say I disagree with a word you said there.  But 

We needed a center forward in May.  We released Washington, then sold Davison.  

If the reason we haven't signed a center foward is purely wage budget, someone has dropped a clanger somewhere.  If.

It's a big if because it's all 2+2=5.

Personally I think it's Gilbey out for a center half and then it's either a "money" player out for a striker or a last minute loan.

I don't believe getting JFC or MacGillivray off the wage bill would be enough to bring a decent striker in.
    This.  We’ve two players in every position for our current formation except for CB.  Midfield we have three for each position (not including CDM).  So it makes sense, I think we’re going to have to live with the idea that Leaburn is the back up when the inevitable injury happens/happening to Aneke.  
  • mart77 said:
    Billyboy said:
    Adrian Durham talksport said last night that we are interested in scully from lincoln... how true I don't know
    That would be a cracking signing
    We have no chance as this article suggests that Charlton Town are also interested.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/lincoln-city-could-cash-in-on-rumoured-blackpool-peterborough-united-and-sunderland-target-3815237
    At least it’s not AFC Charlton or then we’d stand no chance. 
    In all seriousness I don’t think we’ll get him as I expect a lot of clubs will want him. I’d guess an awful lot is going on behind the scenes. Fingers crossed. 
  • AndyG said:
    OH BOLLOX ! 

I have just realised there are only 6 days to go until we all have to take our hats off to Golfie and say he was right for months ! Come on Thomas make it so it doesnt happen !!!
    You can doff your hat to me as well, I said the day Leaburn signed a pro contract our search for a striker was over. Thomas aint gonna part with any cash for the likes of a Stockton
  • The last few posts illustrate perfectly the dilemma facing the club. It’s not at all easy getting business done on a tight budget and with financial restrictions. Our rebuild is in my opinion a two or even three window process.
    But with the owner wanting to cut losses that’s only going to become more difficult. Not sure it qualifies as a rebuild if the squad becomes smaller and/or weaker every season 
    Is it smaller or weaker than last season ?