Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Rothko said:
    weird that no club has taken a punt on Stockton, it's almost like everyone in football thinks its a freak season
    I think it's more that no clubs is prepared to pay what Morecambe want. I think he'll go, and it won't be for a big fee either, probably less than the £500k we paid for Kirk last summer
  • Rothko said:
    weird that no club has taken a punt on Stockton, it's almost like everyone in football thinks its a freak season
    I think it's more that no clubs is prepared to pay what Morecambe want. I think he'll go, and it won't be for a big fee either, probably less than the £500k we paid for Kirk last summer
    Fleetwood offered 100,000 
  • Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    Alex Gilbey is the Therry Racon of this squad.

Can drive forward with the ball, supposed to be box to box but some argue he hides, inconsistent with minimal goals and assists.

Despite his performances will always have a section of the fan base who rate him highly.
    Racon was far better than Gilbey.
    Like I said there will always be a section of the fan base who rated him highly :)

Neither are/were good enough for a promotion chasing team. Racon had more skill on the ball but in terms of goals, assists and controlling a midfield he was ineffective for where we wanted to be, just as Gilbey is.
    I didn’t say I rated him highly, I just said he was a lot better than Gilbey.  To be fair , Racon played in a central midfield pair in a 442 largely ; Gilbey has invariably been given licence to get forward and has contributed bugger all .
  • Rothko said:
    Because he's not worth it, £100k is probably the ceiling on his fee, and more to the point, it's not the type of player we need 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Because he's not worth it, £100k is probably the ceiling on his fee, and more to the point, it's not the type of player we need 
    He's exactly the player we need. Stockley's back plays him on Saturday, and we're left with a kid to play up front
  • DJ would be a loss but if needs must. Better than Kirk IMHO.

With the squad limit, the salary cap plus TS wanting to reduce his loses BG is having to move people on before he can bring our priority player, a centre back.

But Gilbey was meant to be a done deal to Lincoln and now that's seemingly off so I'll wait until it's on the OS. 
  • shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Come come now @Henry Irving
    People have gone about a centre forward because Washington was let go, Burstow returned to  Chelsea and Davison was sold.
    Three out
    None in
    Madness
    Why post the same thing every day?

Agree we need one but only two have gone in reality as Davison was out on loan in the second half of the season. We’re also playing 4-3-3 so don’t need as many out and out strikers.
    You're arguing with people that count Burstow as leaving, but not Leaburn breaking through. 
    Which is true really, I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has said we can’t rely on Leaburn. I agree to an extent so still want a striker in, but he’s clearly ready to be involved. I said in preseason I can see him causing problems for defenders this season.
  • I like DJ but like others have said if it means Garner gets who he wants i'm happy
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    He's exactly the player we need. Stockley's back plays him on Saturday, and we're left with a kid to play up front
    Not if Garner wants a more mobile striker. No doubt Stockton’s quicker than Stockley, but he’s similar in style and Garner may want someone with genuine pace who’ll make more runs in behind and drift wide.
  • Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    People have gone about a centre forward because Washington was let go, Burstow returned to  Chelsea and Davison was sold.
    Three out
    None in
    Madness

Agree we need one but only two have gone in reality as Davison was out on loan in the second half of the season. We’re also playing 4-3-3 so don’t need as many out and out strikers.
    You're arguing with people that count Burstow as leaving, but not Leaburn breaking through. 
    Which is true really, I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has said we can’t rely on Leaburn. I agree to an extent so still want a striker in, but he’s clearly ready to be involved. I said in preseason I can see him causing problems for defenders this season.
    If we can sign another striker who could play that pass he put through for DJ, I'd be very surprised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Not if Garner wants a more mobile striker. No doubt Stockton’s quicker than Stockley, but he’s similar in style and Garner may want someone with genuine pace who’ll make more runs in behind and drift wide.
    This, we need a mobile quick option to play in that front 3, we're playing wingers as strikers, when we need a striker who can play wide in a three, and if Stockley is out, we go to a false 9/three smaller quicker players up top. We don't have that player, Stockton is an expensive back up for Stockley 

With the squad limit, the salary cap plus TS wanting to reduce his loses BG is having to move people on before he can bring our priority player, a centre back.

But Gilbey was meant to be a done deal to Lincoln and now that's seemingly off so I'll wait until it's on the OS. 
    There might not be much difference between how they’ve done in a Charlton shirt. But Kirk is much more important to keep because of how good he could be (and he’s starting to show it a little). Kirk is wanted by championship teams, DJ lower half of league 1 teams which says it all. 

I’d rather keep both of them but Leaburn, Payne, Egbo are all options out wide so if we need to lose DJ to bring in a CB or a striker then it’s worth it and we have enough cover 
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Three out
    None in
    Madness

If we can sign another striker who could play that pass he put through for DJ, I'd be very surprised.
    For some reason, the pass has been slightyly overlooked! A big man with his head up and playing a through ball from the outside of his foot was quite something. You could say it was Elliot Lee to Washington in their pomp (ok, that lasted one whole game!)
  • Scully ran us ragged last season up at their place a real menace when he had the ball in the final third, also very hard working.  

Then again, there’s a massive list of players who ran us ragged last season.  
    Yeah, some of them were playing for us!

• I am definitely not in the know and I have no idea wheather we will bring in anyone else or not. 
    What I do know though is as things stand we will probably  finish around 10th  ( assuming we get our normal amount of injuries  ).
    Bring in another striker and a centre half and the playoffs are achievable. 
    It would be madness to NOT bring them in.
    👍🏻
  • I am definitely not in the know and I have no idea wheather we will bring in anyone else or not. 
    What I do know though is as things stand we will probably  finish around 10th  ( assuming we get our normal amount of injuries  ).
    Bring in another striker and a centre half and the playoffs are achievable. 
    It would be madness to NOT bring them in.
    👍🏻cheers mate. 
    Edited. 
  • Wonder if it’s DJ and Gilbey to Lincoln with Scully coming the other way, and a space left for the centre back? 

Just an observation but squad cap has no bearing as we still have 2-3 places available. 

Salary cap also a red herring as, if money from TS came in as equity rather than debt it is no problem and hence entirely within his control. 

So it is all about TS and budget. 

That is not to say having a prudent budget is a bad thing.
    Agreed, squad limit no issue at all, we've only got 19 players so 3 spaces left. The salary cap is clearly an issue for us but it's not like the 2.5mil limit the other season 

Whatever the reasons, we're going down the Roland route of having a small decent squad with youngsters filling the spaces. We'll need a lot of luck, especially with injuries. 
  • Sponsored links:

Just an observation but squad cap has no bearing as we still have 2-3 places available. 

Salary cap also a red herring as, if money from TS came in as equity rather than debt it is no problem and hence entirely within his control. 

Agreed, squad limit no issue at all, we've only got 19 players so 3 spaces left. The salary cap is clearly an issue for us but it's not like the 2.5mil limit the other season 

Whatever the reasons, we're going down the Roland route of having a small decent squad with youngsters filling the spaces. We'll need a lot of luck, especially with injuries. 
    The big difference IMO is that our youngsters are good enough and at the right age to make the step up.
  • My biggest bugbear is the self imposed salary cap that TS has implemented. Yes, you shouldn't just chuck money about left, right and centre and completely spunk money up the wall, but if we're low on quality, there's a player Garner wants, there's a space in the squad, and it's not absolutely silly money, just go ahead and sign them, especially if it's the difference between maybe scraping into the playoffs, or having a squad that's capable of a proper promotion push where playoffs are the minimum 
  • Sorry if this has already been said but can Scully play in the middle of a 3?
  • Redrobo said:
    DJ would be a loss but if needs must. Better than Kirk IMHO.

The big difference IMO is that our youngsters are good enough and at the right age to make the step up.
    Are they? Leaburn and Henry are only 18. Some of the youngsters have always been good enough, Dijksteel, Konsa, Aribo and Lookman have all done well. 

If Garner was satisfied with Clayden at LB and Leaburn up top he wouldn't have talked about ideally wanting a full-back and striker. 
  • edited August 2022
    If Gilbey watches Inside the Force 24/7, he is defo not moving up to Lincoln. Proper shithousery on their streets as soon as the sun sets!
    No more than…..in fact most likely less…..than the average UK city of its size.
    Great place to live Lincoln, lots of very interesting stuff going on there, with a huge student community.
    Some fantastic outlying villages and surrounding towns, from the city centre you are never more than ten minutes drive away from full on countryside and farmland.
  • If Gilbey watches Inside the Force 24/7, he is defo not moving up to Lincoln. Proper shithousery on their streets as soon as the sun sets!
    No more than…..in fact most likely less…..than the average UK city of its size.
    Great place to live Lincoln, lots of very interesting stuff going on there, with a huge student community.
    Some fantastic outlying villages and surrounding towns, from the city centre you are never more than ten minutes away from full on countryside.
    I'm note sure 20 something footballers will be thinking like that!

Kirk’s final pass is better, but DJ can he a handful, as he was against QPR. 

Striker essential for me, but recruiting both a CB and a striker would ideal. 
  • edited August 2022
    Smithy said:
    Sorry if this has already been said but can Scully play in the middle of a 3?
    I think that he would find that difficult personally. He’s more suited to being a winger, or the nippy striker in a front two.

Basically, he’d be a Washington replacement. But better on the wing, whereas Washington was more effective up front.