Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Smithy said:
    Sorry if this has already been said but can Scully play in the middle of a 3?
    I think that he would find that difficult personally. He’s more suited to being a winger, or the nippy striker in a front two.

Basically, he’d be a Washington replacement. But better on the wing, whereas Washington was more effective up front.
    I’d agree with this, he’s played up top at youth level but as a 2. I too think he is a Washington type player
  • Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Come come now @Henry Irving
    People have gone about a centre forward because Washington was let go, Burstow returned to  Chelsea and Davison was sold.
    Three out
    None in
    Madness
    Why post the same thing every day?

Agree we need one but only two have gone in reality as Davison was out on loan in the second half of the season. We’re also playing 4-3-3 so don’t need as many out and out strikers.
    You're arguing with people that count Burstow as leaving, but not Leaburn breaking through. 
    Which is true really, I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has said we can’t rely on Leaburn. I agree to an extent so still want a striker in, but he’s clearly ready to be involved. I said in preseason I can see him causing problems for defenders this season.
    That's fair enough, just pointing out that you can't count one (or 2 if youre counting davison that wasnt an option at all) as leaving and not Leaburn as becoming available. He's a new addition to the squad. 
  • Smithy said:
    Sorry if this has already been said but can Scully play in the middle of a 3?
    Yes, particularly if Moulder is playing the holding role.
  • shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    Come come now @Henry Irving
    People have gone about a centre forward because Washington was let go, Burstow returned to  Chelsea and Davison was sold.
    Three out
    None in
    Madness
    Why post the same thing every day?

Agree we need one but only two have gone in reality as Davison was out on loan in the second half of the season. We’re also playing 4-3-3 so don’t need as many out and out strikers.
    You're arguing with people that count Burstow as leaving, but not Leaburn breaking through. 
    Which is true really, I’ve lost count of the number of times someone has said we can’t rely on Leaburn. I agree to an extent so still want a striker in, but he’s clearly ready to be involved. I said in preseason I can see him causing problems for defenders this season.
    That's fair enough, just pointing out that you can't count one (or 2 if youre counting davison that wasnt an option at all) as leaving and not Leaburn as becoming available. He's a new addition to the squad. 
    I agree he is, but we still need another striker due to his age and Aneke unlikely to play in as many games as he did in 20/21. 
  • edited August 2022
    He claims we’re notoriously slow in the transfer market. If that’s the case now what were we like a year ago?
  • Say what you want about Sandgaard, I cant see Gallen playing those kind of games. 
  • edited August 2022
    Say what you want about Sandgaard, I cant see Gallen playing those kind of games. 
    We have been absolutely rubbish at selling players for a long,  long time. Well before Sandgaard. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Say what you want about Sandgaard, I cant see Gallen playing those kind of games. 
    We have been absolutely rubbish at selling players for a long,  long time. We'll before Sandgaard. 
    Might be because the players we’ve got, no one wants!
  • Scoham said:
    He claims we’re notoriously slow in the transfer market. If that’s the case now what were we like a year ago?
    The article summary sounds more like a peed off Lincoln fan than a journo:

Summary

Charlton are notoriously slow at transfers Jack Payne’s proposed transfer was initially discussed 18 months prior but only came to fruition because they were forced to act by him leaving Swindon.

Clubs who are intelligently run, proactive and focused such as Lincoln and MK Dons can grow incredibly frustrated at the inaction. It may well be this lack of urgency in Charlton’s transfers that leaves them with several high paid players sat on the bench with no destination. Things can change as sides get desperate but it’s highly plausible all the names mentioned above are still at The Valley on September 1st.

Lincoln, MK Dons and other clubs will move on and find other targets to fill the gaps in their squads whether that be from Charlton or elsewhere. With Ben Garner left scratching his head looking where he can save money for his rebuild of the team.

He actually doesn't tell us anything we don't know. Gallen admitted that we track players across different windows and potentially wait for them to become available. Payne was lined up to come in and Davison leaving meant that it could happen under FFP.

The next week is the silly season for transfer deadline deals and we will see who wins on these games of poker.
  • Richard J said:
    Scoham said:

Summary

Charlton are notoriously slow at transfers Jack Payne’s proposed transfer was initially discussed 18 months prior but only came to fruition because they were forced to act by him leaving Swindon.

Clubs who are intelligently run, proactive and focused such as Lincoln and MK Dons can grow incredibly frustrated at the inaction. It may well be this lack of urgency in Charlton’s transfers that leaves them with several high paid players sat on the bench with no destination. Things can change as sides get desperate but it’s highly plausible all the names mentioned above are still at The Valley on September 1st.

Lincoln, MK Dons and other clubs will move on and find other targets to fill the gaps in their squads whether that be from Charlton or elsewhere. With Ben Garner left scratching his head looking where he can save money for his rebuild of the team.

He actually doesn't tell us anything we don't know. Gallen admitted that we track players across different windows and potentially wait for them to become available. Payne was lined up to come in and Davison leaving meant that it could happen under FFP.

The next week is the silly season for transfer deadline deals and we will see who wins on these games of poker.
    Just a shame that nothing ever happens on transfer deadline day, because every other club is really quick with their transfers and are not at all waiting around to the last minute to finally pull the trigger on them. 

It would be really fun if lots of teams actually did lots of business and then a sports news channel like Sky Sports News could report on it from across the country all day. 

Imagine the anticipation as the door ‘slammed shut’.

We can only dream. 
  • Richard J said:
    Scoham said:

Summary

Just a shame that nothing ever happens on transfer deadline day, because every other club is really quick with their transfers and are not at all waiting around to the last minute to finally pull the trigger on them. 

It would be really fun if lots of teams actually did lots of business and then a sports news channel like Sky Sports News could report on it from across the country all day. 

Imagine the anticipation as the door ‘slammed shut’.

We can only dream. 
    It’s the window that slams shut not the door hence it not being known as ‘the transfer door’
    Maybe that’s where Charlton have been getting it wrong all these years.

• hermann said:
    Sounds like someone trying to take the heat off himself given he said the Gilbey deal was done ages ago...
    This. 
  • edited August 2022
    Has the "We could just not get that one over the line" platitude been removed from storage, brasso been applied and all sparkly ready for 5 minutes after the transfer door slams shut?
  • Sponsored links:

• Has the "We could just not get that one over the line" platitude been removed from storage, brasso been applied and all sparkly ready for 5 minutes after the transfer door slams shut?
    It's a window, as in a window of opportunity, but new players arrive through the door, unless they're incredibly unfit and can't manage to squeeze through it, the third time I've attempted that joke, which wasn't funny on the last two occasions either. Oh well! 😎
  • swordfish said:
    Has the "We could just not get that one over the line" platitude been removed from storage, brasso been applied and all sparkly ready for 5 minutes after the transfer door slams shut?
    It's a window, as in a window of opportunity, but new players arrive through the door, unless they're incredibly unfit and can't manage to squeeze through it, the third time I've attempted that joke, which wasn't funny on the last two occasions either. Oh well! 😎
    I've given you a LOL in recognition of your staying power, after three attempts at a joke, the clue's there.... ;)
  • edited August 2022
    sam3110 said:
    My biggest bugbear is the self imposed salary cap that TS has implemented. Yes, you shouldn't just chuck money about left, right and centre and completely spunk money up the wall, but if we're low on quality, there's a player Garner wants, there's a space in the squad, and it's not absolutely silly money, just go ahead and sign them, especially if it's the difference between maybe scraping into the playoffs, or having a squad that's capable of a proper promotion push where playoffs are the minimum 
    But a lot of this is subjective. For instance, what constitutes silly money for a League One player? In terms of both transfer fee and salary? 

Generally, what you call "salary cap" here sounds like it's more of a budget. Which every club at this level has. We can discuss if it's the right amount, but given that we have a lot of players (for our level) on the books who cost a fee, including DJ, JFC, and Gilbey who are all out of favor, I think it's understandable to recoup some of that before investing further. 

Also, I feel like this assumes that we're one or two players away from promotion, and I don't know that that is the case. Given we're largely talking about adding squad depth, I don't know that a fifth fullback is what will see us promoted. Will a third quality striker? Again, maybe. But I think getting yet another striker in to compete with Stockley and (when fit) Aneke is going to be very tough.

The one I'm most sad about is JFC, as I think he has Championship potential. As @Cafc43v3r has stated on many occasions, it sounds like there are issues with his contract and his place within the squad, and a move for him would be best for all involved (correct me if I'm misrepresenting that). It's a shame, I'd like to know how we ended up in this situation, but sometimes it's best for everyone if a player moves on.

With Gilbey, I think it was a signing that made a lot of sense at the time, and he just never really settled. He had a couple of good runs of games, when Adkins first came in and when Jacko came in. He covered a lot of ground and pressed well. He just didn't have the technical or goalscoring ability to make a lasting impact. Best of luck to him, he always worked really hard. 

DJ always felt like kind of a weird one. He was playing as a left winger and sometimes center forward for Swindon, and we signed him to play chalk on your boots right winger for us. We signed him and then at various points didn't play with wingers. And then we tried making him a wingback, where, to his credit, he was often quite decent. He has a good first touch and can put in a decent cross, he's just woefully inconsistent. Garner's system should be a chance for him to shine, but in the little he's played he's looked much the same as he always has for us. Given we have much larger needs in our squad, if him moving allows us to bring in a CB and LB, then I think it's for the greater good.

• Some people on here were confidently predicting a signing and running a list of possibles to fulfill their predictions. Others, including Ben Garner were trying to let people know that there would have to be movement out before another signing was made and wouldn't be made till that happened. We now have the club being accused of being slow out of the blocks in signings, read the interviews again and you will find that signings take time and even more time when you are trying to sell to finance any incoming.

• swordfish said:
    I gave you a LOL, I hope it will assuage the loneliness and feelings of isolation in your joke repertoire!
  • SDAddick said:
    sam3110 said:
    My biggest bugbear is the self imposed salary cap that TS has implemented. Yes, you shouldn't just chuck money about left, right and centre and completely spunk money up the wall, but if we're low on quality, there's a player Garner wants, there's a space in the squad, and it's not absolutely silly money, just go ahead and sign them, especially if it's the difference between maybe scraping into the playoffs, or having a squad that's capable of a proper promotion push where playoffs are the minimum 
    But a lot of this is subjective. For instance, what constitutes silly money for a League One player? In terms of both transfer fee and salary? 

Generally, what you call "salary cap" here sounds like it's more of a budget. Which every club at this level has. We can discuss if it's the right amount, but given that we have a lot of players (for our level) on the books who cost a fee, including DJ, JFC, and Gilbey who are all out of favor, I think it's understandable to recoup some of that before investing further. 

Also, I feel like this assumes that we're one or two players away from promotion, and I don't know that that is the case. Given we're largely talking about adding squad depth, I don't know that a fifth fullback is what will see us promoted. Will a third quality striker? Again, maybe. But I think getting yet another striker in to compete with Stockley and (when fit) Aneke is going to be very tough.

The one I'm most sad about is JFC, as I think he has Championship potential. As @Cafc43v3r has stated on many occasions, it sounds like there are issues with his contract and his place within the squad, and a move for him would be best for all involved (correct me if I'm misrepresenting that). It's a shame, I'd like to know how we ended up in this situation, but sometimes it's best for everyone if a player moves on.

With Gilbey, I think it was a signing that made a lot of sense at the time, and he just never really settled. He had a couple of good runs of games, when Adkins first came in and when Jacko came in. He covered a lot of ground and pressed well. He just didn't have the technical or goalscoring ability to make a lasting impact. Best of luck to him, he always worked really hard. 

DJ always felt like kind of a weird one. He was playing as a left winger and sometimes center forward for Swindon, and we signed him to play chalk on your boots right winger for us. We signed him and then at various points didn't play with wingers. And then we tried making him a wingback, where, to his credit, he was often quite decent. He has a good first touch and can put in a decent cross, he's just woefully inconsistent. Garner's system should be a chance for him to shine, but in the little he's played he's looked much the same as he always has for us. Given we have much larger needs in our squad, if him moving allows us to bring in a CB and LB, then I think it's for the greater good.

Not necessarily, TS might be willing to spend another 3/4k a week but not being allowed due to the cap. His own making because he's putting the money in as equity.