Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• A goal and an assist for Evan Ferguson tonight for Brighton in the cup away at Forest Green. We really should be trying to get him in on loan.
  • edited August 2022
    The last few posts illustrate perfectly the dilemma facing the club. It’s not at all easy getting business done on a tight budget and with financial restrictions. Our rebuild is in my opinion a two or even three window process.
    But with the owner wanting to cut losses that’s only going to become more difficult. Not sure it qualifies as a rebuild if the squad becomes smaller and/or weaker every season 
    Is it smaller or weaker than last season ? 
    No and it's certainly cheaper.

As it stands we are an injury away from, crisis is to strong a word, trouble at center half and center forward.

The plague of the last two seasons.  Fix that and, almost, everyone will be happy.  We haven't in the last 3 windows so why should we expect it now?

I really hope we do, I would be over the moon.  I really would.  I don't expect it though, that's the difference.
  • I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 
    We play with a midfield three, so we need 6 central midfielders to have proper squad cover. Garner has already shown he's big on rotating in the midfield. When we signed McGrandles he became the 6th centre mid in a squad where we were expecting two other midfielders to probably leave. We then signed Payne to make 7, though he's generally been played further forward rather than in the midfield three when he's played. If we hadn't signed McGrandles when we had the chance and he'd gone elsewhere and we'd still be looking to shift the other two but with no-one in. We'll probably shift Gilbey soon and possibly JFC on deadline day, and then we'd be running round feverishly trying to get centre mids in before the window closed while people whined that we always leave our business to the last minute and Sandgaard doesn't know how to build a squad. We'd also likely get a worse player because we shrugged our shoulders and ignored a target becoming available. Matt Smith v.3 anyone?
    The reason Clare has come up is because we're apparently talking to him about an extension and there's no indication we're going to lose Dobson either, there's not really a lot of need to panic about that just yet..
    There's no reason that we have to have 6 senior midfielders though, especially as we have youngsters like Henry coming through, and others like Clare and Sessegnon who can also play there IF we had more cover in the full back areas.
    Players like Dobson and Morgan are the types who are likely to play the full 90 anyway, it's in forward positions where you need impact from the bench.
    Moving goalposts. By the same token there's no reason we need to have 3 senior strikers. We have Stockley, Aneke and Leaburn who at this point is streets ahead of Henry and the rest. Aneke is injury-prone, but then so is JFC, and for longer, sometimes season-long periods. Who was the striker we wanted who was readily available at the same time as McGrandles who we could have signed that we missed out on I wonder? Clare is our right back and a disasterpiece at central midfield, and not only is Sessegnon not actually a centre mid at all, as you say we don't have senior cover at LB. Saying we don't need to have enough midfielders because we could use that money to just about have enough left backs to play one totally out of position is bonkers. May as well say JFC is our senior back up LB by that logic, he's played more senior games there than Sessegnon has at central midfield. Henry is the youngster at central midfield coming through but there aren't any others remotely ready, certainly not looking any more ready than Kanu, and Henry still has a huge amount to show before he's a serious consideration. Central midfield will be the key part of the way Garner plays and he needs options there, and the right player was available. We will rotate massively, we've already seen McGrandles pick up two injuries since he started, we'll need to use a whole squad throughout the season and we'll really feel it if we're light there. I guarantee we'd get by better having to play Clayden at LB all season than we would having to play Henry there all season if it came to it.
    If we let JFC and Gilbey go without replacing them, we'd still have 5 senior midfielders for 3 places. Plus Henry, plus the other emergency options, and yes Sessegnon can play in midfield as he said so himself. Henry will be 19 in a week's time, I don't see why he can't get some game time now.

Of course we'd love lots of experienced cover in all areas, but we have squad number restrictions, and budget restrictions. We need another striker, another centre back and possibly another full back.
  • I didn’t realise Adomah was playing against us till after the QPR cup game was over and I was at the game. Would have liked him 10 years ago.
  • The last few posts illustrate perfectly the dilemma facing the club. It’s not at all easy getting business done on a tight budget and with financial restrictions. Our rebuild is in my opinion a two or even three window process.
    But with the owner wanting to cut losses that’s only going to become more difficult. Not sure it qualifies as a rebuild if the squad becomes smaller and/or weaker every season 
    Is it smaller or weaker than last season ? 
    Yes, smaller, well some of the gaps in the squad have been plugged by youngsters such as Clayden and Leaburn. Plus this summer we've had the Pope money, that's not going to happen every window. 
  • I would rather keep Clare over Egbo in all honesty. No way should we lose Clare and even more crazy to lose Dobson. Why did we sign McGrandles if we were short in other areas, why did we sign Aneke (we haven't had an answer to that one). Why did we take the option on JFC's contract if we want rid? 
    We play with a midfield three, so we need 6 central midfielders to have proper squad cover. Garner has already shown he's big on rotating in the midfield. When we signed McGrandles he became the 6th centre mid in a squad where we were expecting two other midfielders to probably leave. We then signed Payne to make 7, though he's generally been played further forward rather than in the midfield three when he's played. If we hadn't signed McGrandles when we had the chance and he'd gone elsewhere and we'd still be looking to shift the other two but with no-one in. We'll probably shift Gilbey soon and possibly JFC on deadline day, and then we'd be running round feverishly trying to get centre mids in before the window closed while people whined that we always leave our business to the last minute and Sandgaard doesn't know how to build a squad. We'd also likely get a worse player because we shrugged our shoulders and ignored a target becoming available. Matt Smith v.3 anyone?
    The reason Clare has come up is because we're apparently talking to him about an extension and there's no indication we're going to lose Dobson either, there's not really a lot of need to panic about that just yet..
    There's no reason that we have to have 6 senior midfielders though, especially as we have youngsters like Henry coming through, and others like Clare and Sessegnon who can also play there IF we had more cover in the full back areas.
    Players like Dobson and Morgan are the types who are likely to play the full 90 anyway, it's in forward positions where you need impact from the bench.
    Moving goalposts. By the same token there's no reason we need to have 3 senior strikers. We have Stockley, Aneke and Leaburn who at this point is streets ahead of Henry and the rest. Aneke is injury-prone, but then so is JFC, and for longer, sometimes season-long periods. Who was the striker we wanted who was readily available at the same time as McGrandles who we could have signed that we missed out on I wonder? Clare is our right back and a disasterpiece at central midfield, and not only is Sessegnon not actually a centre mid at all, as you say we don't have senior cover at LB. Saying we don't need to have enough midfielders because we could use that money to just about have enough left backs to play one totally out of position is bonkers. May as well say JFC is our senior back up LB by that logic, he's played more senior games there than Sessegnon has at central midfield. Henry is the youngster at central midfield coming through but there aren't any others remotely ready, certainly not looking any more ready than Kanu, and Henry still has a huge amount to show before he's a serious consideration. Central midfield will be the key part of the way Garner plays and he needs options there, and the right player was available. We will rotate massively, we've already seen McGrandles pick up two injuries since he started, we'll need to use a whole squad throughout the season and we'll really feel it if we're light there. I guarantee we'd get by better having to play Clayden at LB all season than we would having to play Henry there all season if it came to it.
    If we let JFC and Gilbey go without replacing them, we'd still have 5 senior midfielders for 3 places. Plus Henry, plus the other emergency options, and yes Sessegnon can play in midfield as he said so himself. Henry will be 19 in a week's time, I don't see why he can't get some game time now.

Of course we'd love lots of experienced cover in all areas, but we have squad number restrictions, and budget restrictions. We need another striker, another centre back and possibly another full back.
    I think if we had a couple of injuries in midfield we'd see Clare move there as we'd still have Egbo (when he's back of course), Sessegnon and Clayden to fill the full back spots. I can see the argument for keeping one of JFC and Gilbey, but 5 plus Clare/Henry could just about be manageable.
  • Presume the Hold up with Gilbey (to Lincoln) could be to do with Scully then? 

Wonder if we’re trying to whore off DJ to them too?
  • If we swapped Gilbey and DJ for Scully it would be great business. Then JFC out for a CB. I'd be feeling pretty confident then to be honest. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If we swapped Gilbey and DJ for Scully it would be great business. Then JFC out for a CB. I'd be feeling pretty confident then to be honest. 
    Agree with this but we 100% need a striker.! 
  • Billyboy said:
    Adrian Durham talksport said last night that we are interested in scully from lincoln... how true I don't know
    Hence the “chain”.

We don’t let them have Gilbert unless we get Scully.
  • edited August 2022
    111 new posts, should I be optimistic, there’s actually a rumour? 

Nargh! 

Just endless Gilbey, JFC and a multitude of others talk!
  • I think Lincoln should try and replicate the CAFC 21/22 squad and go further.  Mac, DJ, Gilbey and JFC, a quadruple swoop 
    Could JFC play CB?
    Could JFC play CB?
    Wouldn't have thought so. 
  • AndyG said:
    OH BOLLOX ! 

I have just realised there are only 6 days to go until we all have to take our hats off to Golfie and say he was right for months ! Come on Thomas make it so it doesnt happen !!!
    You can doff your hat to me as well, I said the day Leaburn signed a pro contract our search for a striker was over. Thomas aint gonna part with any cash for the likes of a Stockton
    You may be right, but at the back of my mind I suspect Thomas is expecting big bids to come in for Miles, which he’d probably accept. Leaving us with two strikers, one of whom is (and often is) injured, the other of whom has a suspect back. 
    It’d make sense to invest a bit, surely, in which case he might end up with a second saleable asset. 
  • Floebot said:
    Heard from a friend who met Michael Beale tonight that we couldn't afford his buyout as it would have eaten significantly into our transfer budget. 
    We have a transfer budget ?
  • JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:
    OH BOLLOX ! 

I have just realised there are only 6 days to go until we all have to take our hats off to Golfie and say he was right for months ! Come on Thomas make it so it doesnt happen !!!
    You can doff your hat to me as well, I said the day Leaburn signed a pro contract our search for a striker was over. Thomas aint gonna part with any cash for the likes of a Stockton
    You may be right, but at the back of my mind I suspect Thomas is expecting big bids to come in for Miles, which he’d probably accept. Leaving us with two strikers, one of whom is (and often is) injured, the other of whom has a suspect back. 
    It’d make sense to invest a bit, surely, in which case he might end up with a second saleable asset. 
    Unless Tracey puts her foot down & says he's not going anywhere  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    OH BOLLOX ! 

And rightly so. Stockton is a one season wonder! Spending cash on him would be a stupid idea. Tommy has proved that he will spend cash on the right player, Stockton isn't the right player.
  • All I can say is if we leave it until deadline day & then a deal for a striker falls apart & we end up not signing one then this season is going to be a waste.

We have had since June to sign a striker and knew we were light up front ever since we let Washington leave.We've signed so many midfielders/wingers we are now having to unload 1 or 2 fringe players just to give us the option of signing someone. With the news that Aneke could be weeks away from even making the bench (thus missing the first 10 or 12 games) means we are going into games with just 2 strikers (one of which is young & inexperienced and imo about as good as Davison). No other League 1 club who is seriously looking at promotion would leave themselves in this position. 

Madness.
    I agree with most of your post but from what i've seen of Leaburn so far, he's better than Davison.

I'd be interested to know from those who watch our U21 games what people think of Kanu. Obviously his goalscoring record is amazing and he's not 18 until November, but given our striking options are pretty threadbare it surely can't be long before we see him on the bench for a league game?
  • edited August 2022
    Different players and Leaburn has bags of potential but he needs nuturing. If Stockley gets injured we could be potentially be relying on him as a loan striker and apart from being crazy in terms of our ambitions, it would be very unfair on the lad.

I am sorry, but this you need three windows in complete crap. Any players perform well they will be sold so how do you build with that approach? I like McGrandles, he was terrific at the Valley last season but our need was and is for a striker and probably a centre half. I have no problem with Henry knocking at the door either. We also have two able midfield reserves we have trouble getting shot of. It is obvious where the priority areas are. 
  • AndyG said:
    OH BOLLOX ! 

And rightly so. Stockton is a one season wonder! Spending cash on him would be a stupid idea. Tommy has proved that he will spend cash on the right player, Stockton isn't the right player.
    Agreed their no value in him
    given his age … most people going on about him have only seen him once at the valley last season .. but need to ask yourself why have no other the bigger clubs in league one gone for him 
  • supaclive said:
    Come come now @Henry Irving
    People have gone about a centre forward because Washington was let go, Burstow returned to  Chelsea and Davison was sold.
    Three out
    None in
    Madness
    Why post the same thing every day?

Agree we need one but only two have gone in reality as Davison was out on loan in the second half of the season. We’re also playing 4-3-3 so don’t need as many out and out strikers.
  • People have gone on about a striker coz it’s the biggest single issue that needs addressing and it’s on their minds - maybe if they were as intelligent as Henry they’d be discussing something else but aren’t that lucky - probably best to close this thread for their / our own good